Don't have an account? Create one!

Music

AuthorMessage
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
July 1st, 2008 at 03:49am
mindfuck:
What exactly do you mean by "they are paid no matter what"?

I mean the audience accepts whatever (in my opinion) mediocre, crude rhymes rappers strew together so there is no real drive for them to be any more creative then they already have been. Unless there is some inner artistic force in side rappers, but I have yet to see this as true.

mindfuck:
Could say the same thing about My Chemical Romance; to me, it seems they've done the whole "death and darkness" theme to, well... death. But that is just my interpretation.

I can respect that, it is true. I don’t know why, but it works for me. The fact there is meaning behind said death and darkness really helps.

mindfuck:
You obviously need to listen to more rap then
If every single RAP song had some connotation to sex, violence and getting rich, I wouldn't listen to it either

Well it never really interested me, but then again nobody has suggested any tracks I should look into. So be my guest, enlighten me.

WooHoo! A reply that wasn’t ½ a page long!
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 1st, 2008 at 04:32am
KingRex:

mindfuck:
You obviously need to listen to more rap then
If every single RAP song had some connotation to sex, violence and getting rich, I wouldn't listen to it either

Well it never really interested me, but then again nobody has suggested any tracks I should look into. So be my guest, enlighten me.

WooHoo! A reply that wasn’t ½ a page long!

These are some of the tracks I personally like at the moment:

Good Die Young - D12. This song does in fact have connotations to violence, but to me the overall meaning of the song is about lost life and the loss of a family member / loved one.

Changes, Keep Ya Head Up and Dear Mama - Tupac. I know I have personally talked up Tupac, but that is because he's one of the rappers I listen to more frequently.

The Hard Road, An Audience With The Devil, Stopping All Stations, Illusionary Lines and The Calling - Hilltop Hoods. They're Australian rappers (come from my city in fact), and I love all of their work, but these songs are some of my favourites.

Jesus Walks, Heard Em Say, Family Business, Hey Mama, Roses - Kanye West. Also some of my personal favourites.

You can check some of those out if you want to. If you don't want to listen to them, then you can just read the lyrics at least.

Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
July 1st, 2008 at 12:29pm
KingRex:

Wow Miguel, I’m quite happy to see that in this case you and I completely agree. If you had been talking about emo kids and such instead of rap, I would have replied the same as you did above. There is defiantly a pattern in what popular and kids who just want to fit in. That’s really what I think “emo” really is, a way for kids to be anti-popular but still fit in with a group.

Yet I can understand the draw of alternative music better because I feel it. For years I disliked pop music because it seams so dumb, and honestly was scared by screamo stuff and thought that it was just people screaming. At least in the case of MCR I was proven wrong, for there is a message underneath it all. I’m not so sure about rap. Your example of alternative music being misunderstood in society was a very good one and I agree 100%. But I am able to see that there is more to alternative music then just dark imagery. I’m sure there are alternative bands who are screaming just to scream, but at least with MCR there is a purpose and a bigger picture. I am hopelessly unable to see any bigger picture with rap (Tupac excluded), so much that I can hardly believe there is a bigger picture. In every song I’ve ever heard there’s always sex, money, violence, profanity and onomatopoeia sounds. That’s it. To me it just seams so shallow and one dimensional. I held similar views with alternative music for a while. When I first heard WTTPB on SNL I was thinking “my God shut up! Yeah so your dad took you to see a marching band, stop crying and get over it!” The whole thing seamed overtly dramatic, yet a year later I realized it was apart of a story and the drama was totally warranted. Only when I discovered MCR holds a strong love for their fans, and have always been against violence and self harm, was when I really got into them.

I’m not against rap in the sense of the way it sounds, I’m against it because of what it says. Last night I went and saw Steve Miller (my dad won tickets) and during “Fly Like An Eagle” the back up singer came out and rapped the chorus. It wasn’t exactly my thing, but it worked and I could appreciate the mix of old and new. Todd Rundgren has also experimented with the use of rap in his career, creating rhymes that involve such topics as religious hypocrisy and one’s individuality. These kinds of expression are ones that I can relate to and appreciate, not so much with ghetto life. For me, when I see rap and rock next to each other, I see and respect I rap as I would finger painting next to a Picasso. Both are forms of expression lacking substance, yet a Picasso (rock) has a purpose and the strict absence of meaning on the surface allows you to see a deeper meaning below it. Yet Rap is just simple and one dimensional for the sake of nothing else is needed, or wanted. The artists are paid no matter what so there is no real draw or intention to be true artists who have some thing to say past “Ah skeet skeet motha fucka” Thing is I don’t know if most rappers actually have anything to say that hasn’t already been said, its more of living the dream with all the power, money, and “bitches and hoes” you could ever ask for.

I would not be against saying there is more to rap or pop music today. It’s just that I have never seen any evidence proving that it’s true.

That’s good to hear, but I’ve understood this for a while.

The way I see it, Rock is so much more varied and diverse then rap. If every single rock song had some connotation to sex violence and getting rich, I wouldn’t listen to it. I mean, yes its expression, but can’t you just grow up and start rapping about something that’s meaning full instead of “Ah Ah you make so good” It gets so old. You described Rap as being misunderstood in the sense it’s not demeaning, but showing admiration of women. I understand that, but if all your gonna do is rap about looks and how you feel when all these bitches crawl over to you, it does sound demeaning. I as well as society would understand your view better if there were people rapping about women’s intellect, inner beauty, strength, company, conversation, hair, eyes etc. Something other than tits and asses, it makes them sound like objects of pleasure. Which isn’t terrible in the big picture, but there actually needs to be a bigger picture for it not to be terrible.

I was speaking in terms of pop and the corporate music world and how crazy it is. Kid bands are thrown together just to brainwash the audience and be a cash cow for record label. They are meaningless besides the fact they sing catchy toons and are appealing to young kids who want to be older. I do not associate MCR with such groups.

I agree, its all expression, it should not be divided into what works and what doesn’t; that’s where you run into trouble.

Because we rockers see it as the equal to hollow expression. I truly fail to see it means anything substantial, besides fitting in with adolescent sex drives. Rock does the same, but is heavier and is light years a head in terms of artistic creativity.

Well you at least admit to not being able to see the big picture. You have to understand that hip hop especially “gangster rap” is exactly that, it their culture and they express their culture and im not sure if you’ve ever walked around in “the ghetto” but theirs a lot of drugs violence sex and profanity and since its generally supposed to be a music for that demographic its just natural that it talks about what they know about. Why would 50 cent talk about teenage angst when growing up he was exposed to crack dealers and street violence. The reason they sing about getting rich is because they weren’t before! When rappers brag about how much bling they have they’re not just flaunting it for the sake of it, it in itself is an expression of pride within ones own achievements. Its declaring “I’ve made it out of the hole I was in “
Onomatopoeia in a rap song is an expressive technique much like a poet uses it.

Rap would not be a finger painting it would probably be a Picasso that statement is a fine example of music elitism where rock music is clearly shown to be more complex than rap. When clearly they are exactly the same, you just can not appreciate the production value on a hip hop record. Think about most my chemical romance songs think about the riffs three chords a piece then there’s a little solo interlude that’s been the stock standard formula for the better half of thirty years. Hip hop indeed is just as complicated if not more, there are rhythms to the rhymes that must be attacked at the exact timing so that the next line can flow just as well, the beat is checked at the exact rpm for the song and at the same time the dj has to keep both tables flowing at the exact same time or close to keep the song going right and to make a proper transition into the next beat. You don’t listen hard enough to the craftsman ship to music if people got rid of their elitist view on music there would be a lot more appreciation and people would realize there’s a world outside guitar based music.

But again the big picture doesn’t exist in that sort of music because like I explained before the big picture to rappers who rap about that sort of material is that, they talk about what they craved the most in their world , you have to understand they talk about their world and that’s it, where’d they come from ? a low socioeconomic back ground. What happens there? a lot of sex. How can you tell? Pregnancy rates. So if sex is all on their mind growing up and where they come from obviously that’s what they’re going to talk about. So if that’s what they’re going to talk about well so be it that’s their view on their world that’s what they’ll talk about. And you can’t hold that against them because that’s their perspective and context and you can’t change that about a person.

And yes you can say that about my chemical romance being a cash cow. Even though a record label hasn’t thrown them together, that’s a practice that’s dying and really isn’t working to much. They labels have turned to just signing bands that area already formed and using them to rake in the $$$

They put videos on mtv, people watch mtv especially 12 year olds who are looking for an identity. These kids go out and buy the CD. Simple as that, you fail to see that because you hold them to a high standard even though they’re just like the rest of any musician with a name. The only people that can honest to god say that they’re not part of the machine that sings catching hooks and so on are people who sing in cafés and busk on the street for spare change that’s a musician.

If you have ever watched a movie called “when the music dies” you’ll realize that My chemical romance and fall out boy and panic at the disco all fall into the same category of mad money making machine. Because real music’s dying. The grass roots and the bass of all music is dying because image comes before music. And if you may you’ll probably argue me on this one, my chemical romance built their foundation on their imagery and that to me is what makes them a money making implement, they way they look is appealing to kids Erykah Badu is a female rapper that I enjoy very much, said that when she listens to music she closes her eyes she doesn’t care about stage sets or anything.

And rock is not light years away from creativity Infact rock stopped moving about twenty years ago. Name one new thing rock has managed to do to deviate from its old self, NOTHING Its still the same verse chorus verse chorus solo chorus formula. It’s still the three chord melody. It’s still the same shity distortion thick riff. How is that creative? Chuck berry was doing this stuff like half a century or more ago?! It’s just feeding on what’s already been done, and that’s everything!

Ch-Check it out - The Beastie Boys
Sabotage - The Beastie Boys
Intergalactic- the Beastie boys
Kick Push - Lupe fiasco
Paris, Tokyo - Lupe Fiasco
Dumb It Down" - Lupe Fiasco
You Got Me - The Roots ft Erykah Badu
Bittersweet Melody - Kanye West
Alls Fall Down - Kanye West
Through the wire - Kanye West
The Message - Grand Master Flash and the Furious Five.
prototype - Outkast

just get started on these.

Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
July 1st, 2008 at 12:44pm
dp
Malicia
Salute You in Your Grave
Malicia
July 1st, 2008 at 03:56pm
Mm.
Music really is my life. It's not just something I say, it's true. I always listen to music, and when I don't I'm singing myself. See, my brother promised me that if I went through a day without singing, he would pay half of my The Black Parade cd. I made it for 5 hours, then I accidentally hummed. It's not on purpose, it's an instinct for me, I guess.
I cannot tell if music saves lives or not, don't have personal experience, but I think that to some people it really is a lifesaver. But so can be many other different things, anything that reminds you of good sides of life and love.
Shotgunsinner6692
Killjoy
Shotgunsinner6692
July 1st, 2008 at 04:25pm
I think music has a large impact on peoples lives.Its hows that there are other people out there with feelings similar to your own and can broaden your perspective to make you a better person.
Rhys Webb
Awake and Unafraid
Rhys Webb
July 1st, 2008 at 07:31pm
music helps me get through a lot of shit because then i know that i'm not alone with certain things. plus, it helps give me ideas for stories and such.
MyChemicalJoker
Killjoy
MyChemicalJoker
July 1st, 2008 at 07:46pm
I think music can have a BIG impact on someone's life. It has on mine. I am one of those kids who has had their life saved by MCR's music. There have been many times in my life that I have been so depressed, I just didn't care anymore. I wanted to take my own life. But MCR's music helped me through all of those times. With the Revenge album, it was I'm Not Okay, Helena, Ghost of You, and Fashion Statement. Now, on The Black Parade, it's Famous Last Words, Disenchanted, and Welcome to the Black Parade. If it weren't for music like My Chem's, I don't know what I do. The lyrics mean so much to me, and it always helps me through bad times. I feel, with MCR, I can get through anything.

Yes, I believe music has impact on people's live, because I am living proof. MCR has played a HUGE part in my life, whose to say they haven't in others? Or even another band. I know people who are the same way with other bands like Avenged Sevenfold, and a lot of other bands. Music is a big part in peoples lives, and if you don't believe it, fine, no one is going to force you too, but you should consider what other people have to say befor you make a choice.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 2nd, 2008 at 01:48am
TheBlackParadSoldier:
Music is a big part in peoples lives, and if you don't believe it, fine, no one is going to force you too, but you should consider what other people have to say befor you make a choice.

Why do you have to consider what other people think before making a choice about whether music impacts your life? To be honest, I'd rather think for myself on this one.

And by saying "no one is going to force you" and then saying "but you SHOULD consider..." is kind of contradictory.
Colorado Sunrise.
Salute You in Your Grave
Colorado Sunrise.
July 2nd, 2008 at 03:53am
mindfuck.:
Tattoo:
And like said, music can be medicine, but not ALL genres of music.

Why not all genres of music? Why restrict it?

for kids. like for me, rap is for sure not my medicine. But techno or powerepop, yes. It depends on what the listener likes. I know some people get headaches from listening to screamo..
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 2nd, 2008 at 05:46am
^You're post just sounded as if you were saying there should only be a select few genres of music that can be 'medicine', and I was confused by that...
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
July 2nd, 2008 at 11:41am
Music...it hasn't saved my life. It has changed it, and in particular, My Chem. It's made me realize just how big the world is, and the importance of acceptance and respect. But with the good, comes the bad. "Ignorance is bliss". I fully agree with that now, music has made me fully realize that there are problems in the world- whether it be discrimination, poverty, disease, etc. It has given me hope too, realizing that I /can/ make a difference, no matter how small.
Gerard had a cookie!
Killjoy
Gerard had a cookie!
July 2nd, 2008 at 03:27pm
If there's one thing I can relate to, it's music. I love it and I think it really helps you to chill (depending on who you're listening to). Example; When I am happy, sad, angry, or stressed I listen to My Chemical Romance. When I am bored, I listen to Muse, and when I need time to think, I sing my favorite songs. It really helps. Plus, what with schools giving children more opportunities to write music or sing or play an instrument, it gives you more culture.

When I first found this site, I read about each band member first, and found I could really relate to Gerard Way. Example: When Gerard was just a child, he realized that everyone he loved and cared about would eventually pass away. Sadly, I too realized this at a young age. And then there was the time when Matt Pelissier was in the band, Gerard wasn't always sober, and was even depressed sometimes. But then Bob Bryar joined, and Gerard has been sober ever since. I just felt slight depression when Matt was playing drums, but I was happy again with Bob. Finally, Gerard went to art college, and designed album covers and a mask for the band (the mask is for the special edition CD/DVD that is available to black parade members). He is very artistic, as am I. I find music easier to get into, especially when I find out that I can relate to them, or a certain member.

So, yes, I think music can have an impact on people, and it can help them sometimes too. I feel that My Chemical Romance has helped me somehow, but I don't know why. Oh well.
X-Choke.me.to.life-X
Killjoy
X-Choke.me.to.life-X
July 3rd, 2008 at 03:51pm
Im only gonna post once so this may or may not have any connection to the other posts.
I had started cutting and it was getting worse an then i met my best friend and he turned me on to MCR and i spent all my time with him and i stopped and the song that helps the most is Headfirst For Halos because hwhen i ever get sad or depressed i listen to that and it reminds me of him and music and i would like to say that music is my life and i play music and MCR really helps me and i would say that they can save lives but not directly or by themselves but through a connection.SO yeah. that was the strangest thing i a have ever typed
Rhys Webb
Awake and Unafraid
Rhys Webb
July 3rd, 2008 at 04:55pm
i think that's the whole thing about music -- everyone has that one song or band they can just connect with in the sense that it makes the kid feel like their not alone. but not even that, music can help a person calm down or see the other side of things. it can make you think out of the box for once in your life and makes you see things with a more opened mind than before.

me and my friends usually have a discussion about soulmate bands, meaning bands or artists that you can just connect with and understand everything that they're talking about. it's not mean to be creepy or weird, it's mean to make you feel more at ease with certain things.
the.sharpest_lives
Fabulous Killjoy
the.sharpest_lives
July 4th, 2008 at 07:18pm
What does gerard whisper at the end of the song Honey, This Mirror Isn't Big Enough For The Two Of Us?
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
July 5th, 2008 at 04:09am
^^wrong place for that.
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
July 6th, 2008 at 08:18pm
wow, it's really fucking easy to say "rock is obviously better than rap, because i say so. it's just not as good."

way to keep an open mind

way to try new things.

way to....

not be ignorant?
Helena of Sorrows
Fabulous Killjoy
Helena of Sorrows
July 6th, 2008 at 11:34pm
Music is my life, and that is so true. I can't spend a day without music...MCR's music saves my life. such a cliche but it's true...before i was this fat girl who always think that no one loves her, im always alone, always quiet, and im always got picked on school. i was depressed. it became worst since my parents always arguing with each other, fighting here and here over some little things., this stuffs made me think to end my life...but then things change since i have knew MCR. their music talks to me. it helped me change my views about life. i have stopped cutting myself since then. I was inspired by this guys, most especially Gerard Way. whenever im feeling that im breaking down, i'll just turn into listening to songs i love the most, most especially rock, because i think there is so much honesty in that genre..i'll feel okay again....
MCR saved my life.....i know that people in here are intelligent enough to know that i dont mean it literally.
=D
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 7th, 2008 at 10:59am
Migamphetamine:
Ch-Check it out - The Beastie Boys
Sabotage - The Beastie Boys
Intergalactic- the Beastie boys
Kick Push - Lupe fiasco
Paris, Tokyo - Lupe Fiasco
Dumb It Down" - Lupe Fiasco
You Got Me - The Roots ft Erykah Badu
Bittersweet Melody - Kanye West
Alls Fall Down - Kanye West
Through the wire - Kanye West
The Message - Grand Master Flash and the Furious Five.
prototype - Outkast

just get started on these.

I agree with everything you said.
And too your list:
Hello-Goodbye (Uncool) - Lupe Fiasco (though this one has some guitar in it)
Hip-Hop Saved My Life - Lupe Fiasco
Runaway Love - Ludacris
Handlebars - Flobots
Stand Up - Flobots
Mayday - Flobots
American Boy - Estelle (A girl objectifying a guy)
B.O.B. - Outkast

Some rap does have very horrible sounding lyrics. Like T-Pain's Church. (I don't know if anyone here has ever heard that) What he's saying is horrible but the way he executes the song is terrific.

And if you're into songs about teenage angst try Hollywood Undead. Fort Minor would be another good one.

There's a lot of indie rap that's good. Can't think of anything specific right now. If I ever think of it, I'll add it.

Just remembered, the Linkin Park/Jay-Z song Numb/Encore.
Immortal Technique has very politically charged lyrics, I don't like him much though.