Don't have an account? Create one!

Sexuality - Homosexual, Bi-Sexual, Bi-Curious, etc.

AuthorMessage
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
July 9th, 2009 at 03:00pm
Alexface.:
[i]Bisexuality is a sexual orientation characterized by attraction to both the same gender and the opposite gender. Unlike pansexuality, it does not specifically include people who fall outside the gender binary. Pansexuality has been described as a "means to skip the binaries and essentialism of 'bi'."
I'm fine with however people are most comfortable identifying themselves, but I honestly feel that the difference between pansexuality and bisexuality is a nosehair at best.
Ghostgirl191
Jazz Hands
Ghostgirl191
July 9th, 2009 at 06:38pm
idk i mean i guess im "bi" because i have dated girls but i just realy dont worry about labeling it, i mean the way i always sar it was that gender didn't matter, ot was about connection to another person.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
July 10th, 2009 at 10:54am
Ghostgirl191:
i just realy dont worry about labeling it, i mean the way i always sar it was that gender didn't matter, ot was about connection to another person.
I agree. Labels are so unnecessary. Just be.
not so pretty.
In The Murder Scene
not so pretty.
July 15th, 2009 at 02:31am
I always understood pansexual to mean a person that doesn't have a preference for either gender; a bisexual person might.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
July 16th, 2009 at 01:01am
not so pretty.:
I always understood pansexual to mean a person that doesn't have a preference for either gender; a bisexual person might.
I think the term bisexual by its very nature (and the use of the prefix bi, meaning two) clearly refers to a person who prefers both, otherwise they're just straight or gay. A friend of mine told me it has to do with having no preference for the masculinity or femininity of any given person.
not so pretty.
In The Murder Scene
not so pretty.
July 16th, 2009 at 11:49pm
Oh, i'm sorry, that wasn't very clear; I meant they might like both genders (or others outside the male/female binary), but prefer one gender slighlty over the other. A pansexual person doesn't care about gender, it makes no difference to them at all.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
July 17th, 2009 at 01:52pm
not so pretty.:
Oh, i'm sorry, that wasn't very clear; I meant they might like both genders (or others outside the male/female binary), but prefer one gender slighlty over the other. A pansexual person doesn't care about gender, it makes no difference to them at all.
Again, I'm thinking a bisexual person is so because they have no preference, and how could there be anything outside the male/female binary, exactly? It's not as if we have a third gender available here.
not so pretty.
In The Murder Scene
not so pretty.
July 17th, 2009 at 02:49pm
Here's the Wikipedia entry on pansexuality, which I realize isn't entirely reliable, but it seems to have the general idea here.
and this explains more about bisexuality...
this is the kinsey scale, a scale of sexuality, ranging from 0-6. of course, not everyone believes in this...

as for "not in male/female gender binary", i was referring to genderqueer people.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
July 17th, 2009 at 04:35pm
not so pretty.:
as for "not in male/female gender binary", i was referring to genderqueer people.
Wait, is that even possible? Isn't that just sort of like having MPD?
thatkindavampireluv
Killjoy
thatkindavampireluv
July 17th, 2009 at 07:21pm
my comment involves religion, but its not influenced by it.

i dont belive that religions should not disclude people for their natual feelings. it's something they kinda cant help. and people shouldnt be afraid of saying that they are homo, or have a problem with them.
ChristineLovesRaquel
Killjoy
ChristineLovesRaquel
July 20th, 2009 at 02:54am
I think the whole pansexual thing may have to to with transgender people. Maybe they're the "third option."
I myself am bisexual, and I would not date a transgender person, but I guess it makes no difference to a pansexual.
Then again, I am no expert on this. Pansexuality is a complete mystery to me. I don't get what really sets it apart from bisexuals, and I would love it if someone could help me understand. I have looked it up, but the only definition I ever get is that it's someone who doesn't care about gender.
not so pretty.
In The Murder Scene
not so pretty.
July 21st, 2009 at 10:06pm
Deb:
Wait, is that even possible? Isn't that just sort of like having MPD?
wikipedia has a pretty good explanation...
Alexface.
Salute You in Your Grave
Alexface.
July 22nd, 2009 at 08:49am
Deb:
Again, I'm thinking a bisexual person is so because they have no preference.
It's more common, to my knowledge, for there to be a slight preference, ie. bisexual but more attracted to girls than boys, or vice versa. I, myself, often regard myself as a 3 on the Kinsey scale (50% gay 50% straight, if you will) but I know lots of people who prefer one sex over the other, while still being attracted to both, and I sometimes have phases of 'leaning' towards one sex.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
July 22nd, 2009 at 10:57am
not so pretty.:
Yes, that is the entry I was responding to. Is it really possible to be both male and female at the same time? I'm not sure about this; again, to me, it sounds like multiple personality disorder. I think the descriptions are becoming too compartmentalized. You like men, you like women, you like both. That's it. In my opinion, there really isn't a need for all these gray area identifications - they're just making everything more confusing.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 22nd, 2009 at 06:25pm
Deb:
not so pretty.:
Yes, that is the entry I was responding to. Is it really possible to be both male and female at the same time? I'm not sure about this; again, to me, it sounds like multiple personality disorder. I think the descriptions are becoming too compartmentalized. You like men, you like women, you like both. That's it. In my opinion, there really isn't a need for all these gray area identifications - they're just making everything more confusing.

Well physically you can have both male and female reproductive organs. Usually people like that grow up to be one or the other. But mentally I'm sure there are people who don't see themselves as either gender.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
Deb:
not so pretty.:

Well physically you can have both male and female reproductive organs. Usually people like that grow up to be one or the other. But mentally I'm sure there are people who don't see themselves as either gender.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
Deb:
not so pretty.:

xxZalanortxx
Killjoy
xxZalanortxx
July 24th, 2009 at 03:44pm
Love is love no matter what. I don't actually know my sexual orientation yet. It takes different amounts of time for different people. I am pretty sure I am bi, yet I tend to prefer men to women. I'm still not sure though, and truthfully I don't really care. I just want to live my life and be happy. One thing people were talking about though was labels. I agree it may often be better not to label anyone, but sometimes it actually is helpful. If you openly label yourself as bisexual, bi-curious, homosexual, trans-gender, etc. then you could do a numerous number of positive things. Such things may include encouraging others to come out and accept themselves for who they are without fear, teaching more conservative people to accept others, and if you may allow others that would have passed you by before to potentially find you and you two could both fall in love. I do of course love the possibility of a world without a need for labels though.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
July 24th, 2009 at 06:18pm
In an wierd way, labelling myself was a key factor in accepting something that at the time was extremly hard for me to accept.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
July 24th, 2009 at 08:23pm
John St. John:
In an wierd way, labelling myself was a key factor in acceptions something that at the time was extremly hard for me to accept.

I get that, and I think everyone should view themselves in the way that ultimately makes them feel the most comfortable. When I brought up the issue of labeling, I was more concerned with gray area (or bi-curious, I suppose?) people, which - in my opinion - is everyone. I kinda like the idea of adding a "mostly" in front of your chosen label - that actually gives you the leeway that you need. I am just finding the sub-labels a bit murky. I'm having difficulty comprehending how a person can view themselves as both and female at the same exact time without having multiple personality disorder, although I do see how such a thought process technically creates a third gender. Perhaps I just need to sit down with someone who views themselves as genderqueer or pansexual so that they can help me understand a bit better.