Don't have an account? Create one!

Sexuality - Homosexual, Bi-Sexual, Bi-Curious, etc.

AuthorMessage
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 17th, 2008 at 05:24pm
Just trying to provoke more discussion.
Though first hand accounts do tend to be more valid than theories. : ]
snow at christmas.
Crash Queen
snow at christmas.
July 17th, 2008 at 06:01pm
but people aren't all the same, so taking a few individual experiences as truth is very dangerous.
theories tend to be based off more than just a few accounts, and tend to have been tested more, so they often have a good deal of truth to them.

(not exactly my opinion, I just figure it's a valid point so I'll stick it there.)
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 17th, 2008 at 07:21pm
Well then I'll just let my brain implode.
It's the truth for those people at least.
So just take into account what they say and add it to the rest of what you know.
Elwood.
Fabulous Killjoy
Elwood.
July 18th, 2008 at 01:58am
Several studies have been shown to be able to detect homosexuality in unborn fetuses--ergo, your sexual orientation is something you're born with, just like your race or eye color. It's not something you can choose.

I've got no problem with other people's sexualities--it's not going to hurt me, and they're not trying to make me join them so we can make the whole world gay/bi/lesbian/whatever, so I say we just let them live their lives and give them the same rights we do to everybody else.
Radio Saturday
Salute You in Your Grave
Radio Saturday
July 18th, 2008 at 08:14am
Eponine:
and another point:
A person might have had some traumatic experience with the opposite sex and so choose to be with someone of the same sex.

Not always the case, though. In many instances, especially with men, one of the reasons they end up preferring other men is because of a traumatic experience with another man. At least, this is something I've heard from reasonably reliable sources -- I'm not saying it's a scientifically proven fact or anything.

But I do think some of this stuff with being able to predict an unborn child's sexual preference is both cruel and ridiculous. For one thing, it'll be almost twenty years, in most places, before the kid's even legally permitted to do anything about it, and for another, a parent should try to love its child regardless of orientation.
dee dee ramone.
Always Born a Crime
dee dee ramone.
July 18th, 2008 at 08:38am
it's so strange how homosexuality is so taboo, even now. and i find it's completely ridiculous how everyone gets all worked-up about gay marriage when surely, they should be getting angry at worse things happening in this world. terrorism, racism, sexism. but it seems being homosexual is a crime amongst some, and a trend amongst some.

blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 18th, 2008 at 08:41am
Radio Saturday:

But I do think some of this stuff with being able to predict an unborn child's sexual preference is both cruel and ridiculous. For one thing, it'll be almost twenty years, in most places, before the kid's even legally permitted to do anything about it, and for another, a parent should try to love its child regardless of orientation.

I slightly agree, but I myself am curious as to what causes sexual orientation. Although it might be researched in a pure pursuit of scientific knowledge it would probably end up being used to change the baby according to what the parents want.
Lina Envy
Joining The Black Parade
Lina Envy
July 23rd, 2008 at 10:31am
Radio Saturday:
Eponine:
and another point:
A person might have had some traumatic experience with the opposite sex and so choose to be with someone of the same sex.

Not always the case, though. In many instances, especially with men, one of the reasons they end up preferring other men is because of a traumatic experience with another man. At least, this is something I've heard from reasonably reliable sources -- I'm not saying it's a scientifically proven fact or anything.

I can attest to that. Okay, I'm not a guy, but at 14 I was molested by a female friend, and I came out two years later.
Just saying.
Juliet and Romeo
Salute You in Your Grave
Juliet and Romeo
July 24th, 2008 at 07:23pm
When it comes to sexuality, I think of it more as a scale. You can be more straight or more gay, but I don't think you can be all the way at either one. So, I guess, I believe everyone is bisexual. I also think the public looks at labels too much, why can't you just like whoever you like without needing to be one sexuality or the other? I do think that a lot of people who say they are completely straight, or completely gay, it's simply because they have never really thought about being with the same/opposite sex, or gave up on a specific gender.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 24th, 2008 at 08:00pm
LetThereBeLove:
When it comes to sexuality, I think of it more as a scale. You can be more straight or more gay, but I don't think you can be all the way at either one. So, I guess, I believe everyone is bisexual. I also think the public looks at labels too much, why can't you just like whoever you like without needing to be one sexuality or the other? I do think that a lot of people who say they are completely straight, or completely gay, it's simply because they have never really thought about being with the same/opposite sex, or gave up on a specific gender.

Well, that's a theory I've never heard. Do you have any personal experience to back it up or some statistics? It just sounds so unlikely.
Maybe everyone goes through a stage where they are bicurious, but eventually they settle on gay, strait, or bi. I've thought about being with the same sex, but it doesn't appeal to me, and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm just not attracted to girls.
I don't think sexuality is a label either, it's part of who you are. You can use it to label, you know saying "He's acting gay" or whatever, but that's stereotyping.
Toybox Trash
Killjoy
Toybox Trash
July 24th, 2008 at 08:09pm
Elwood.:
Several studies have been shown to be able to detect homosexuality in unborn fetuses--ergo, your sexual orientation is something you're born with, just like your race or eye color. It's not something you can choose.

I've got no problem with other people's sexualities--it's not going to hurt me, and they're not trying to make me join them so we can make the whole world gay/bi/lesbian/whatever, so I say we just let them live their lives and give them the same rights we do to everybody else.

that's a bit rediculous. how is a baby gonna know it's gay?
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 24th, 2008 at 08:12pm
Scars On Broadway:
Elwood.:

that's a bit rediculous. how is a baby gonna know it's gay?

It's not about the baby being aware of it's sexuality. There could be a difference in the brain, or genetic markers. The same way they can tell if the baby has some kind of disease.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 25th, 2008 at 02:23am
Eponine:
Well, that's a theory I've never heard. Do you have any personal experience to back it up or some statistics? It just sounds so unlikely.

Theories don't necessarily need statistics to back it up. It's basically just a point of view or an idea put forward.

I somewhat agree with what LetThereBeLove stated, although I wouldn't go so far as to say everyone is bi. I see sexuality as being fluid and on a continuum for me. At one end you have straight, at the other end you have homosexual and in the middle you have in between, which is bi-sexual and bi-curious etc. I believe majority of people fit into more the bi-curious category, even if they only ever have heterosexual relationships. I'm not basing that on any statistic, I'm just going by my perception.
nevergetmealive
Joining The Black Parade
nevergetmealive
July 25th, 2008 at 06:55am
i think that the labels of straight or gay are just on the surface, people tend to think they are one or the other because that is what they are comfortable with. But at one point in their lives the would ahve been bi-curious, but ignored the urges or feelings and stayed with what they thinkthey are. some people are bi-sexual but i think a lot of them just think they are because they have particular feeling toward the same or other sex and think that means they go both ways. i think this is wrong, in most cases they are just bi-curious.
i think everyone is bi-curious, some people such as homophobes just shut out these feelings subconsciencely. there are probably plenty of medical terms that can say why some people shut out these feelings, but i am no doctor.
ultimatley i think people are either bi-curious or bi-sexual, i cant say that i have ever been curious about other females but i am only 15 and im sre at one point in my life, even if only for a minute, i will ahve those urges.
i have no facts or stats or anything to base this on, this is just my opinion
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 25th, 2008 at 07:11am
nevergetmealive:
some people are bi-sexual but i think a lot of them just think they are because they have particular feeling toward the same or other sex and think that means they go both ways. i think this is wrong, in most cases they are just bi-curious.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Because people who are bisexual do have particular feelings for both sexes, and if they feel attracted to both sexes and have had relationships with both sexes, then how does than just make them bi-curious? Bi-curious means that you think or have thought of members of your sex in a sexual way but are not certain it is a lasting thing, and you might've also contemplate(d) relationships etc. with people of the same sex. Are you ultimately saying that you think bisexuality doesn't exist?

Please explain more.
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
July 25th, 2008 at 10:29am
Eponine:
It's not about the baby being aware of it's sexuality. There could be a difference in the brain, or genetic markers. The same way they can tell if the baby has some kind of disease.

And this is exactly a great fear of mine. If we know exactly what causes diseases and we know what causes homosexuality, then how long will it take for people to say it's a disease itself? And I'm not talking about bible-thumping fools, I'm talking about scientists. People with power.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 25th, 2008 at 02:29pm
Faye Merci:
Eponine:

And this is exactly a great fear of mine. If we know exactly what causes diseases and we know what causes homosexuality, then how long will it take for people to say it's a disease itself? And I'm not talking about bible-thumping fools, I'm talking about scientists. People with power.

It is a scary thought. I'd like to know what it is that makes someone gay or bi, but chances are people would start changing the baby to what they want, which is just plain wrong. People are afraid of the same thing when it comes to researching DNA, that parents will be able to say "I want the baby to have black hair and blue eyes" and the baby will be messed with.
Lina Envy
Joining The Black Parade
Lina Envy
July 25th, 2008 at 02:35pm
That, sadly, is the path we may be headed down in terms of science.
It's not that far off, and I think it's wrong.
But that's besides the point.
Homosexuality, to me, is not a choice, so heterosexuality is not a 'choice' either. Let alone one for parents to make for their child.
nevergetmealive
Joining The Black Parade
nevergetmealive
July 25th, 2008 at 10:31pm
Mindfuck:
nevergetmealive:
some people are bi-sexual but i think a lot of them just think they are because they have particular feeling toward the same or other sex and think that means they go both ways. i think this is wrong, in most cases they are just bi-curious.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Because people who are bisexual do have particular feelings for both sexes, and if they feel attracted to both sexes and have had relationships with both sexes, then how does than just make them bi-curious? Bi-curious means that you think or have thought of members of your sex in a sexual way but are not certain it is a lasting thing, and you might've also contemplate(d) relationships etc. with people of the same sex. Are you ultimately saying that you think bisexuality doesn't exist?

Please explain more.

im saying that a lot of people have contemplated being with the same sex but never taken it into action or had sreious feelings, but think because they had that one thought they aer suddenly bi-sexual. whereas they're really bi-curious.
im not saying bi-sexuality does not exist, of course it does, im just saying that some people might nothave any serious feelings toward the same sex but think because ianything even entered their mind for a second, they are bi-sexual.
i think for a lot of people the line between bi-sexual and bi-curious has become blurred in their minds.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 25th, 2008 at 10:47pm
nevergetmealive:
im saying that a lot of people have contemplated being with the same sex but never taken it into action or had sreious feelings, but think because they had that one thought they aer suddenly bi-sexual. whereas they're really bi-curious.
im not saying bi-sexuality does not exist, of course it does, im just saying that some people might nothave any serious feelings toward the same sex but think because ianything even entered their mind for a second, they are bi-sexual.
i think for a lot of people the line between bi-sexual and bi-curious has become blurred in their minds.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up Mr. Green
I actually agree with that for the most part. I also believe that bi-curiosity has kind of morphed into bisexuality, when they are actually two different things.