Don't have an account? Create one!

Sexuality - Homosexual, Bi-Sexual, Bi-Curious, etc.

AuthorMessage
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
June 5th, 2008 at 12:34pm
The sky could turn to fire and your nose could fall off.

Serious answer:

Given that that's not how sexuality works, I don't see that happening, ever. And even if it did, what with the science we have available to us now, I'm sure people could keep reproducing.

IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
June 5th, 2008 at 12:43pm
Complication:
Note my phrasing: COULD

If too many people decided, "Hey, everyone else is doing it... I'm gay!" We could have a population crisis on our hands. COULD.

but you don't decide 'I want to be gay', I mean, you didn't wake up one day when you were little and say 'You know what, I think I'm going to be straight'. You can't control who you fall for, and with some people, they are never attracted to the same sex, and for others they are never attracted to the opposite sex. We could never have a population crisis on our hands, because there are always going to be people who are straight, and people who are gay.
6 billion people are not going to wake up one day and decide never to have a heterosexual relationship.
Complication
Fabulous Killjoy
Complication
June 5th, 2008 at 12:49pm
But a large population OF that 6 billion could.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
June 5th, 2008 at 01:03pm
no. they couldn't.
PEOPLE DO NOT DECIDE TO BE GAY!!!! OKAY!!! you find out over time that you prefer the same sex, you don't decide it!!!!
Complication
Fabulous Killjoy
Complication
June 5th, 2008 at 01:13pm
Wow, I'm so glad you're taking a calm approach in debate, which might sway me one bit.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
June 5th, 2008 at 01:17pm
^I'm sorry, I'm just fed up with people assuming that people chose to be gay, and it is an illness, and it can be cured, because people don't, it isn't, and it can't.
I am usually very well contained in debates, but this just annoyed me, and people haven't seemed to listen when it's been explained calmly.

and I would really appreciate it if you weren't so sarcastic
Radio Saturday
Salute You in Your Grave
Radio Saturday
June 5th, 2008 at 02:09pm
Although many western nations are, in fact, experiencing a population crisis (witness the negative population growth in Italy, for example), this is to do with cultural expectations and desires, not with whether or not the population is, on the whole, "more gay." (I feel dirty just typing that.)

But really, is this the place for this kind of argument? I mean, the woman who started the thread just commented about how "well-reasoned" and "open-minded" this thread was... And then, two posts later, we have this! It's really not a very good way to proceed.

Can we lay this rather silly, rhetorical argument to rest and return to the intelligent conversation we were having prior to this unpleasant little digression, please?
thesharpestminds
Killjoy
thesharpestminds
June 5th, 2008 at 07:21pm
Um...isn't this topic narrow-minded? It's like saying "no white people allowed". It's discrimination against some people's beliefs and isn't that what you're trying to avoid?
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
June 5th, 2008 at 07:41pm
No it isn't. Religious arguments have taken over the first thread; this one is reserved for logical discussion. Religious people are allowed in the thread, obviously, just no arguments involving religion. Or at least that's how I understand it.

Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
June 5th, 2008 at 07:56pm
Complication:
Just so you know, homosexuality endangers the existence of the human race Smile

Complication:
Note my phrasing: COULD

If too many people decided, "Hey, everyone else is doing it... I'm gay!" We could have a population crisis on our hands. COULD.

You didn't say "COULD" though. Neutral

Tikva
Fabulous Killjoy
Tikva
June 5th, 2008 at 09:31pm
thesharpestminds:
Um...isn't this topic narrow-minded? It's like saying "no white people allowed". It's discrimination against some people's beliefs and isn't that what you're trying to avoid?

No, it's not what I was trying to avoid by starting this thread. Anyone, regardless of their beliefs, is welcome in this thread, and welcome to express their opinion in this thread. The ONLY thing that is NOT allowed is Religion, and if religion is the only basis you have for being anti-anything-that-is-not-heterosexual is religion (which is so often the case!), then no, posting your opinion which is based upon religion is not allowed.

You have a brain and I suggest you use that, rather than your faith/religion, in this thread.
Tikva
Fabulous Killjoy
Tikva
June 5th, 2008 at 09:33pm
Radio Saturday:
Although many western nations are, in fact, experiencing a population crisis (witness the negative population growth in Italy, for example), this is to do with cultural expectations and desires, not with whether or not the population is, on the whole, "more gay." (I feel dirty just typing that.)

But really, is this the place for this kind of argument? I mean, the woman who started the thread just commented about how "well-reasoned" and "open-minded" this thread was... And then, two posts later, we have this! It's really not a very good way to proceed.

Can we lay this rather silly, rhetorical argument to rest and return to the intelligent conversation we were having prior to this unpleasant little digression, please?

Hear Hear!!!!!

Clap Clap Clap Clap
Tikva
Fabulous Killjoy
Tikva
June 5th, 2008 at 09:58pm
As this has already been mentioned, albeit in a negative way originally, I would like to touch upon the subject of whether or not one 'chooses' to be gay, bi-sexual, bi-curious..................basically anything that is not heterosexual. Before I do though, please note that I do mention religion, but only because it is relevant to the life of my younger brother, and I am sharing part of what is his story.

My younger brother, who is defines himself as Gay, was actually different, right throughout his childhood. As ashamed as I am to admit it, I actually used to call him a 'girl' and other insulting things, even though he was just a little kid. He is 4 years younger than me, and even though I was also a kid, completely unaware of this thing called sexuality (or even sex, for that matter!), I and others sensed in him something that we didn't expect from your typical male. I also had an older brother, and certainly never sensed that about him. Anyway, I transgress.

In my younger brothers early teens, my older sister introduced him to Christianity, the old hellfire and brimstone type of Christianity. Even then, he was struggling with his sexuality - he knew he was 'different' (I don't like using that word personally), and he eventually became involved in the Pentecostal flavour of Christianity. This is the flavour that believes in the casting out of demons, demonic 'strong men', and that kind of thing. He so desperately wanted to not be 'different', and went through a number of what they would call "deliverances" from the demonic hold of homosexuality. He kept on fighting against his sexuality, he kept on fighting to be what society considered to be 'normal'. He kept on trying to live a lie. I cannot be sure exactly how long this went on for, but I do know that he ended up being engaged to a young Christian woman. She knew about his battle, and accepted him anyway. They both went on an OE to England (from New Zealand), and it was while he was away that he realised that he just couldn't keep on living that lie. It was too much. He needed to be who he actually was, and in his case, that was gay.

Personally, I am proud of him, for at least he had the courage to not go through with marriage, have children, and then realise that he couldn't keep living the lie. I am proud that he is an honest man, and true to himself.

He never chose to be gay - it was just who he was, right from when he was born. And I am a witness to that, as are my older other siblings.

Footnote: As I finally grew up, I did go to my younger brother, and tell him how sorry I was for treating him the way that I did when he was growing up.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
June 6th, 2008 at 04:43am
^exaclty,

am I being thick, but what is an OE?
Diana_a7x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Diana_a7x
June 6th, 2008 at 06:46pm
Audio Geography.:
What, by reducing the amount of people who can reproduce? Our population is already skyrocketing; reproducing too much is endangering our existence.

I agree! along with the other post!
Homosexuality has been around for awhile, and our population is still increasing!
Plague Rat
Jazz Hands
Plague Rat
June 6th, 2008 at 10:10pm
I totally agree with what mindfuck said . I don't consider myself straight ,bi or gay .
Tikva
Fabulous Killjoy
Tikva
June 6th, 2008 at 10:34pm
ChipmunkOnKetamine:
^exaclty,

am I being thick, but what is an OE?

Ummm, I could be wrong, but I think it means "Overseas Experience". It's something that young New Zealanders often like to do before settling down ~ to see something of the world.
OurAvengedRomance
Killjoy
OurAvengedRomance
June 14th, 2008 at 06:53pm
It's just like ferard......

Some people are totally scared by the thought of some being a homo.

I used to be a little freaked out about ferard....but now im used to it.

We just have to give society time to accept this.

Everyone will.

Little by little.
lolwut
Killjoy
lolwut
June 14th, 2008 at 07:13pm
Complication:

No it doesn't. If everyone was a homosexual it would, but far from everyone is, so it doesn't matter.
Jenny.
Jenny.
June 15th, 2008 at 06:53am
Complication:
Why is that? I'm curious as to what makes you think that. I'm trying to be rude or anything, I'm just interested in your point of view. Please elaborate on your [what I personally think is a ridiculous] statement.