Don't have an account? Create one!

Sexuality - Homosexual, Bi-Sexual, Bi-Curious, etc.

AuthorMessage
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
July 8th, 2008 at 11:47am
That's possible, but that doesn't explain to me why homosexuality is as common as it is, unless it's hereditary (the chances of a genetic mutation are pretty low, and the chance of the mutation actually doing anything are even lower). It also doesn't explain to me why some humans are bisexual. Also, I don't think having a gay blood relative would make you more likely to be gay (correct me if I'm wrong) if it isn't hereditary, but I do think there is a genetic component to it (an article here)
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 8th, 2008 at 01:25pm
forgotten.:
That's possible, but that doesn't explain to me why homosexuality is as common as it is, unless it's hereditary (the chances of a genetic mutation are pretty low, and the chance of the mutation actually doing anything are even lower). It also doesn't explain to me why some humans are bisexual. Also, I don't think having a gay blood relative would make you more likely to be gay (correct me if I'm wrong) if it isn't hereditary, but I do think there is a genetic component to it (an article here)

It has to be something in DNA, (stating the obvious) If it is in fact something you are born with.
Yes chances of mutations are low, but if it was hereditary, than wouldn't a lesbian mother having a child (sperm donor) have a homosexual baby? Unless of course it's a recessive gene, but because it is so common, that would mean lots of people are carriers, so she probably would have a homosexual baby. (or I'm full of crap and none of this is right.)

and because I'm lazy I didn't read that article until after I posted.
It's truly interesting. Although it's one step from predicting sexual orientation, to preventing it. I'd like to see what all those pro-lifers have to say about that, the baby has a right to be born, so shouldn't it have to right too not have it's brain and DNA screwed around with. That's kind of off topic. I can't really say anything more, because I'm not a brain expert.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
July 9th, 2008 at 04:13pm

^^ I dont think its so much hereditary but I do think it's effected by the type of environment a child grows up in.

Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
July 9th, 2008 at 04:17pm
Alan Carr:

^^ I dont think its so much hereditary but I do think it's effected by the type of environment a child grows up in.

In what way? Do you mean if the parents are gay, the child will be? Or do you mean if the parents are accepting of homosexuality versus intolerant?
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 9th, 2008 at 04:23pm
^^I believe that your sexual orientation is something you are born with, which makes it part of your DNA, which makes it hereditary.
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
July 9th, 2008 at 04:23pm
I wanted to bring back up an earlier topic. I definitely think more and more girls and boys are saying they're bisexual because it adds a level of "cool" to their persona. Many of my friends suddenly "realized" their sexuality in 7th and 8th grade as being bi, which made them much more popular. It's sort of sick how bisexuality has been turned into a fad.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 9th, 2008 at 04:29pm
I concur. Something as personal as your sexuality should never become a fad like that. I went through a phase where I was bi-curious, I had a huge girl-crush on my friend. Since I've never had a romantic relationship with another girl, I'm still curious, but I wouldn't call myself bi.
And it's always the people who really are what they say they are that get the trouble caused by fake people.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
July 9th, 2008 at 04:33pm
DNA isn't automatically hereditary, hereditary means you get it from your parents/grandparents etc. but if it's a mutation, part of your DNA could be affected, but it would be only you, because environmental factors (like asbestos) could affect your DNA, and it would have nothing to do with your parents, because after you're conceived, you don't get any more DNA from them. If that makes any sense.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 9th, 2008 at 04:46pm
Well yes but we both thought it would be unlikely to be a mutation.

And DNA is heredity. An egg contains the mother's DNA, and sperm contains the father's DNA. A person is a combination of their parent's DNA.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
July 9th, 2008 at 04:51pm
Even though the vast majority of it is, I was saying that it isn't always /completely/ hereditary Smile
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 9th, 2008 at 04:58pm
Oh. I misunderstood.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
July 9th, 2008 at 05:03pm
I edited my post, hopefully that will be a little clearer
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 9th, 2008 at 05:21pm
Yeah, it's much better. : ]
Before scientists figure out what causes sexual orientation, it would be nice to have a complete understanding of everything in the body...
snow at christmas.
Crash Queen
snow at christmas.
July 10th, 2008 at 06:02pm
Eye Of Pisces:
[IM G]http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd14/frerardfantic/frerard/FERARD.jpg[/IMG]
Woop!
-__________________________-
DISCUSSION FORUM.

but anyhow,

hereditary is something you inherit from your parents(/grandparents/whateveer).
if your parents have a history of having really bad acne and you get it too, then that's hereditary. but you could be born, say, with part of your arm not fully grown so you only have up to your elbow, and that would still be something you had from birth and something because of your DNA, but it's not inherited from your parents [at least, you'd hope not. o.O]
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 10th, 2008 at 07:26pm
ianto!:
hereditary is something you inherit from your parents(/grandparents/whateveer).
if your parents have a history of having really bad acne and you get it too, then that's hereditary. but you could be born, say, with part of your arm not fully grown so you only have up to your elbow, and that would still be something you had from birth and something because of your DNA, but it's not inherited from your parents [at least, you'd hope not. o.O] [/size]

That would be considered a mutation though.
snow at christmas.
Crash Queen
snow at christmas.
July 10th, 2008 at 07:54pm
well, then, I guess that's what I'd say it is.
I totally didn't inherit this stuff from my parents, and while in my case, it would be easier to argue that the environment I'm in caused that, you can definitely tell on the whole that people aren't made gay by what they go through.

and didn't they find some part of a fruit fly that lets them turn it gay or not gay?
so I think it's just something that gets triggered, or operated differently or something, some small change that you don't inherit but just happens in the proccess of you coming into being.
if I'm making any sense. ><
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 10th, 2008 at 08:00pm
ianto!:
well, then, I guess that's what I'd say it is.
I totally didn't inherit this stuff from my parents, and while in my case, it would be easier to argue that the environment I'm in caused that, you can definitely tell on the whole that people aren't made gay by what they go through.

and didn't they find some part of a fruit fly that lets them turn it gay or not gay?
so I think it's just something that gets triggered, or operated differently or something, some small change that you don't inherit but just happens in the proccess of you coming into being.
if I'm making any sense. ><

You're making sense.
So it's like a light switch that may or may not get switched on, but it's there?
There's a link at the top of this page, to an article that explains how lesbian women and strait men have similar brains, and gay men and strait women have similar brains.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 11th, 2008 at 12:14am
Tack for det Venom:
http://photobucket.com/image/homophobia%20is%20gay/momomaruhana/z36278905.png
even frank agrees

It's a good idea to read the rules of the Discussion Board before posting here. This is a place for serious discussion about your opinion and your point of view, not about what Frank thinks. Just letting you know (:
Sex and Candy
Salute You in Your Grave
Sex and Candy
July 11th, 2008 at 10:01am
people are how they are they cant help it
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 11th, 2008 at 12:41pm
Only A Black shadow:
people are how they are they cant help it

Please elaborate.