Don't have an account? Create one!

Sexuality - Homosexual, Bi-Sexual, Bi-Curious, etc.

AuthorMessage
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
July 11th, 2008 at 02:30pm
Faye Merci:

In what way? Do you mean if the parents are gay, the child will be? Or do you mean if the parents are accepting of homosexuality versus intolerant?

The latter.

Its the same as if you grow up with your family liking one football team, your more likely to also like that football team.

ok that was a bad example but hopefully you get the idea.
Alexface.
Salute You in Your Grave
Alexface.
July 11th, 2008 at 02:51pm
This is only a little theory, but I've wondering recently whether or not homosexuality and bisexuality comes about for someone depending on the people around them. ie, if a child socializes with more people of the same sex than the opposite sex. Just a thought, I'm not final on it, but yeah. I pretty much still stand by the idea that its set from birth, even if it doesnt show up until early teens.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 11th, 2008 at 03:52pm
Alan Carr:

The latter.

Its the same as if you grow up with your family liking one football team, your more likely to also like that football team.

ok that was a bad example but hopefully you get the idea.

My family is very accepting of gays/lesbians, but no one in our family(including extended family) is gay or lesbian.
I still think it is genetic or that there is a trigger in your brain, that when exposed to certain things (perhaps weird hormones when you are in the womb) gets switched on.

Morgenstern.:
This is only a little theory, but I've wondering recently whether or not homosexuality and bisexuality comes about for someone depending on the people around them. ie, if a child socializes with more people of the same sex than the opposite sex.

That is ridiculous. Most little children do not interact much with those of the opposite sex, and even when a person is older their closest friends are those of the same sex. Most girls have best friends that are girls, that doesn't make them a lesbian.
Fall To Peices.
Salute You in Your Grave
Fall To Peices.
July 11th, 2008 at 06:22pm
I read all of this and you guys (most of your guys) state really good points.

Not to bring up dead topics, but a lot of the girls in my grade claim to be bi. They'll date each other and what not. They'll make-out and the the next day break-up and I think it's dumb. Normally it wouldn't bother me but it's when they do it to get guys to notice them that bothers me.

Also, I never really thought for staing your sexuality as labling yourself. But I guess if you think about it your placing yourself in one certin category. I don't know.

And lastly, I think gay couples should be able to adopt children. People think just because they're different they won't make good parents (which is not always true). If the parents wanted to adopt children thats their matter to tend to. If they're happy and in love I think it shouldn't matter who that marry either.

Those just my opinions though.
snow at christmas.
Crash Queen
snow at christmas.
July 11th, 2008 at 07:51pm
I think it's kind of ridiculous how many limitations are placed on adoption in general, when any idiotic straight couple [I'm not saying all straight couples are idiotic, I'm just talking about the dumb ones] can go and have a kid no matter whether they're "qualified" or not, and even whether they want to or not.
Fall To Peices.
Salute You in Your Grave
Fall To Peices.
July 11th, 2008 at 08:38pm
^^ I agree.
They let 13&14 year old girls have babies.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 12th, 2008 at 01:10am
It's a crazy world. I could never even imagine being raised by two men or two women. It would be just so completely different that I can't even fathom it. I think that's why people are reluctant to let gays adopt, because they don't understand.
Then there's the somewhat related issue of gays not being able to get married. (At least in most parts of my country.)
SavvyTheEntertainer
Killjoy
SavvyTheEntertainer
July 12th, 2008 at 05:33am
Whats the difference? as long as they arent totally fucked up. And I think we all know that being fucking up is not a uniquely gay trend. And the whole theory of your parents sexuality effecting yours? well lets face it there are quite a few gay people and most of them have straight parents. Even if they are "expected" to be gay, which it doesnt seem like they usually are, gay people raised by straight people are expected to be straight but they figure it out and wouldnt it work the same way if you had gay parents especially since heterosexuality is so much more accepted by society.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 12th, 2008 at 07:13am
Not saying it's bad, or that gays are inherently bad parents, just that you would most definitely have a much different childhood if your parents where gay, not bad, but very different.
Fall To Peices.
Salute You in Your Grave
Fall To Peices.
July 12th, 2008 at 12:49pm
It would be a little different yeah, but that'd be okay. Your used to having a mom and a dad and if your parents were gay then you'd be used to having 2 moms/2 dads, it would be normal to you. Socitey might treat you differently though.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 12th, 2008 at 12:53pm
That's what I mean. It's not a bad thing. Different is good.
But not only would you have two parents of the same sex you would also have to deal with other people's prejudices. Which would be hard for a young child to handle.
snow at christmas.
Crash Queen
snow at christmas.
July 12th, 2008 at 12:59pm
well, only one way to change that, and it's not giving up. :/

I think that yes, it would be different, but so is being raised by a single parent, or by your grandparents or uncle or whatever.
Fall To Peices.
Salute You in Your Grave
Fall To Peices.
July 12th, 2008 at 01:24pm
Well if your like most people you just learn to live with it and not to give a shit what people think
snow at christmas.
Crash Queen
snow at christmas.
July 12th, 2008 at 01:27pm
Never Going Home:
Well if your like most people you just learn to live with it and not to give a shit what people think
I don't think most people do that.
I think you still care, even if you learn to live, it all still hurts.
And it's probably not that hard to learn to resent your parents if they aren't biological and you get teased because of them, to feel like they "did this to you". But that's life, life isn't easy, and we have to start somewhere.
Fall To Peices.
Salute You in Your Grave
Fall To Peices.
July 12th, 2008 at 01:37pm
That's also true...
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
July 12th, 2008 at 05:51pm
I had a friend with "two moms", and she was pretty accepted by everyone. I even thought she was lucky (5 year old thinking). But, if my parents had said anything negative about her or her family, I would have believed it. Thankfully, parents instill their values in their children-meaning if most parents are homophobic, most likely, their children will be too, and children of gay parents will be discriminated against. And even if the majority of people are accepting of them, it's like bullying-if even a few people do it, it still hurts.
Fall To Peices.
Salute You in Your Grave
Fall To Peices.
July 12th, 2008 at 06:45pm
I asked my dad and he said one of the reasons people wont' let "gays" get married is because of religous reasons.....which I think is stupid. They let those morons in Texas get away with having sex with their cousins, and yet they still won't let " gay people" get married.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 12th, 2008 at 07:28pm
Never Going Home:
I asked my dad and he said one of the reasons people wont' let "gays" get married is because of religous reasons.....which I think is stupid. They let those morons in Texas get away with having sex with their cousins, and yet they still won't let " gay people" get married.

It is because of religious reasons. There should be no law against it, but if a certain church or even a whole religion decides they do not want gay marriages in their religion than it is their choice. Marriage is a religious sacrament.
That would be a completely unfair and prejudiced thing to do, but they can do it.
Though I think there would be churches that would allow it.
Fall To Peices.
Salute You in Your Grave
Fall To Peices.
July 12th, 2008 at 08:01pm
I think it's wrong for the government to punish people for some peoples religion.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 12th, 2008 at 08:25pm
Never Going Home:
I think it's wrong for the government to punish people for some peoples religion.

Well it's not really punishing, it's restricting or preventing, but yes it is wrong.
Thats why there's supposed to be separation of church and state...