Don't have an account? Create one!

Racism

AuthorMessage
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
April 9th, 2007 at 09:28pm
Roxx my Soxx:

I agree. Although some most blacks do that we all don't. And I hate it when they do. I'm like, "Shut up. You make us all look bad." We shouldn't blame our unsuccessfulness on our prior opressment. Even though sometimes we do get held back purposely it's less than usual.

I would have to agree with that statement,
especially how few or some can end up creating a bad image
for all of that race, religion, etc. That is the main basis for racism,
I think, is that people form opinions on few or even one, then
designate those negative qualities to all peoples of that race.

Also, on the tract of the blame game....

People in general are very quick to blame anything and everything
except themselves when it comes to their shortcomings or failings;
it is easier to live with yourself when you are not the one to blame.

This is a trait for most people in the world today, by creating
their own logic they are able to make mistakes or get through
letdowns by laying the fault entirely or mostly at the feet of
another, be it another race, their God or diety, the fact that
it is Monday, whatever. As long as there is a factor they can
shunt the blame to, they will, so that their self esteem and
self worth survive intact.

I strongly disagree with this way of thinking, but,
unfortunately, it is almost hard-wired into us.

I think that this trait is a large part of racism,
that supports the basis and takes it further
towards irrational hatred and anger.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
April 10th, 2007 at 12:20am
Cigarettes And Suicide:
Call it racist if you will. I call it a plea for equality - equality for WHITES as well, because as far as I can see, we're being trodden into the ground and left for dead, and nobody will open their mouths about it for fear of being labelled 'racist'.

I completely agree. Reverse racism is everywhere in Australia.
It's disgusting, people talk about how the Aborigines have it bad, they have lower education levels, worse housing... the list goes on,
but the thing is, they are getting compensated for all of this.
They have lower education levels overall, so they get given more opportunities. I did my HSC last year, and there are actually forms you have to fill out saying whether or not you are Aboriginal or born overseas. If you are either of these, they actually scale your marks up.
It's so stupid, I worked so hard for my marks, yet people who are Aboriginal or were born overseas could have done the exact same amount of work as me, written the exact same thing, and recieved better marks. Now, can somebody explain to me how that is fair?

Also, I know it was a few months back, but lets bring up the issue of banning the Australian Flag at Sydney BDO.
Apparently it was used as a 'gang symbol', so the organisers wanted to ban it to reduse discrimination.
I'm all for reducing discrimination, but banning people from showing the Australian Flag? that's pretty much telling people 'no, you can't be proud of your country!'.
I'm Australian, & I actually find that offensive.

I think that ALL races should be treated the same. If one gets benefits, they should ALL get benefits.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
April 10th, 2007 at 12:47am
Ruby, I'm just letting you know now that after this post, I will be returning to the formula this thread is meant to follow - a rational discussion of the topic. I just feel a tad vilified and would like the opportunity to respond/refute certain claims that have been made, and then leave it at that.

Let me begin with this:
Nowhere did I directly call you, Roxx my Soxx, uneducated OR narrow-minded - unlike you directly calling me out as a racist, which, by the way, is a blatant untruth. I don't know anything about your education, therefore I can't comment on it, or even make assumptions. All I was saying in that statement was that free speech is frightening to those who have been taught never to question other people's opinions, and never to use their own brain to come to their own conclusions. I wasn't commenting on you as a person at all, I was just saying that unless you read my posts thoroughly and with an open mind, my thoughts could be misconstrued, which obviously they were in your case. I choose to put it down to haste - if that's the case, slow down and take the time to fully understand the implications of my opinions in future.
Roxx my Soxx:
You are a racist. I don't care how many ways you look at it or how many ways you try to phrase you sick thoughts. Sorry to bust you bubble, but I see right through you and you closet-racist comments.

Wrong. As Ruby stated, in no way, shape or form did I make a racist statement. All I was doing was pointing out the injustices of society, and make an attempt to open others' minds to the fact, because it's a sad fact that in today's society we're expected to just swallow everything we're told without asking questions or forming our own opinions. I'm not racist, just refusing to be a politically correct sheep like the rest of 'them'.
Roxx my Soxx:
Did you miss out on a scholarship because a Muslim who was smarter and/or more talented got it? Or did you get picked on by one in high school, therefore causing you to hate every last one of them? Or did you not get a job because one was far more qualified than yourself.

Wrong again, unfortunately. Nowhere in any of my previous posts did I mention anything about Muslims in relation to university scholarships or gaining employment. If you'd taken the time to read all my previous posts, rather than simply making hasty assumptions and attempting to attack me, you would have realised that, in relation to university positions (and not scholarships, they're not prevalent here in Australia - we have a HECS scheme which allows a student to finish their degree, then pay it off in instalments when they find gainful employment), I had mentioned Asian immigrants who come over here solely to go to university, then move back to the country of their birth to use their qualifications; and with regards to employment, I had stated that a person of Aboriginal descent is much more likely to be given a job over a white applicant, despite qualification or experience, because employers are given monetary incentives from our government to try and get ATSIs off welfare. Which, by the way, very rarely works - the ATSI generally goofs off or doesn't show up to work, knowing that if they get fired they can always go straight down to Centrelink and have their welfare payments reinstated the next day. But that's another story.
Roxx my Soxx:

These are all causes for why some whites hate blacks and I'm sure that they apply to you as well. It's a small word called envy. ...You are blaming all of your problems on these Muslims who have done nothing to you. All you are doing is trying to find a scapegoat for your people, just like every other racist. You. Are. Just. Jealous.

And you. Don't. Know. Me. So. How. Can. You. Make. Such. An. Assumption?
I don't hate blacks or Muslims or any group of people, by any means. And if I do hate individual people of certain races, it's due to their behaviour and attitude, not jealousy, just as I hate individual white people who don't do the right thing.
Oh shi, I hate Caucasians as well? Does that still count as racist? Or is racism only hating people of another colour? Or, more to the point, is racism restricted to white people hating people of other colours? The fact is, I don't need a scapegoat for my problems. I'm one of those rare finds that has a mind of their own, speaks for themselves, and is more than willing to take blame where it's due - which means that I'm also one of those people who works hard to get the things I want, the things I deserve, and feels cheated when I see people who aren't deserving of privileges, get given them simply because of their ancestry.

Roxx my Soxx:
As for the whole NAACP wanting an apology for slavery...
Tell the Jewish to get over the Holocaust by the GERMANS, why don't you. Tell the Native Americans to get over the mass extermination with war and disease of there people by the WHITE settlers. No. We WILL NOT "get over it". If you don't know your history, it's bound to repeat itself..

There was also something in another of your posts about 'Get over it' and 'Move on with your life' having 'similar meanings'. Sorry, incorrect once again. I sympathise with these human tragedies, and I feel terrible for the people that actually witnessed, survived or died in these circumstances, but the point of it all is that, not only did slavery and the like happen so many years ago that it can't legitimately be used as a crutch by today's descendents of those people, but 'Get over it' is a far different instruction from 'Move on'. By no means do I want anybody to forget their people's history (note, I didn't say 'their history', it never happened to them), but using it against Caucasians for the rest of eternity will not only not accomplish anything, but will more than likely breed contempt for them.
Roxx my Soxx:
What I have never seemed to understand is why white people (some, not all) feel the need to "civilize" everyone. White people are not the cure to everything.

Goodness, an actual valid point! I agree with this statement, I feel it's quite true - people should be left to their own devices, and if they wipe themselves off the face of the planet, oh well, sucks to be them, right? However, a couple of hundred years ago, humans thought differently, and it would seem we've learned our lesson. Yes, at times the motives for 'civilisation' were either unclear or outright selfish, but there are some cases where it was a legitimate attempt to help improve the lives of the people they ended up destroying. An honest mistake.
In this day and age, it's a huge catch-22 - if whites intervene to try and preserve the race in question, they're interfering and ruining everything, but if they don't step in and attempt to give some aid, it becomes a human-rights uproar internationally, because we have ability to help, but we're ignoring the problem and letting people die for no good reason - it's a lose-lose situation. The first option makes us racist because we're 'trying to turn everybody into whites', but the second option also makes us racist because 'we don't care about other cultures or other people'. *shrugs* What can you do?

Okay. Now that I've given you all the opportunity to hear my last words on the subject, I'll take my leave from this particular argument. I just feel that there was no reason for anybody to personally attack another in this, or any other thread, and the fact that a certain person has not only done it to me, but to Ruby ('Please, you aren't even a mod. Stop acting like one. Spare me the threats.), who I have much respect for, irks me to the point of biting back.
But I've said my piece, pointed out a few things that needed to be said, and now, as far as I'm concerned, it's over. Suffice it to say that I'll not be spoken down to by somebody who not only has less life experience than me, but can't even make a half-hearted attempt to see things from a different perspective before vilifying me for my opinions, all the while claiming that 'everyone's entitled to one'.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
April 10th, 2007 at 12:53am
asha; young modern.:

Reverse racism is everywhere in Australia.

I completely agree with that whole statement - but this one term irks me.
'Reverse' racism?
As far as I know, 'racism' is when a person of one race despises a person of another race, or a whole group of people, solely based on the colour of their skin/ancestry etc.

How is it possible for racism to be 'reversed'? As far as I'm concerned, a white who hates blacks for being black is racist. Just as a black who hates whites for being white is racist, not 'reverse' racist.

I hear this term being bandied around all the time - it's crap. 'Reverse' racism does't exist - racism is racism, period, right?

(By the way, that wasn't a statement directed at you, I'm totally behind you on that post - I'm just sick of seeing this 'reverse racism' term everywhere, it makes no sense to me.)
Roxx my Soxx
Bleeding on the Floor
Roxx my Soxx
April 10th, 2007 at 06:43am
Cigarettes And Suicide:
Ruby, I'm just letting you know now that after this post, I will be returning to the formula this thread is meant to follow - a rational discussion of the topic. I just feel a tad vilified and would like the opportunity to respond/refute certain claims that have been made, and then leave it at that.

Let me begin with this:
Nowhere did I directly call you, Roxx my Soxx, uneducated OR narrow-minded - unlike you directly calling me out as a racist, which, by the way, is a blatant untruth. I don't know anything about your education, therefore I can't comment on it, or even make assumptions. All I was saying in that statement was that free speech is frightening to those who have been taught never to question other people's opinions, and never to use their own brain to come to their own conclusions. I wasn't commenting on you as a person at all, I was just saying that unless you read my posts thoroughly and with an open mind, my thoughts could be misconstrued, which obviously they were in your case. I choose to put it down to haste - if that's the case, slow down and take the time to fully understand the implications of my opinions in future.

Wrong. As Ruby stated, in no way, shape or form did I make a racist statement. All I was doing was pointing out the injustices of society, and make an attempt to open others' minds to the fact, because it's a sad fact that in today's society we're expected to just swallow everything we're told without asking questions or forming our own opinions. I'm not racist, just refusing to be a politically correct sheep like the rest of 'them'.

Wrong again, unfortunately. Nowhere in any of my previous posts did I mention anything about Muslims in relation to university scholarships or gaining employment. If you'd taken the time to read all my previous posts, rather than simply making hasty assumptions and attempting to attack me, you would have realised that, in relation to university positions (and not scholarships, they're not prevalent here in Australia - we have a HECS scheme which allows a student to finish their degree, then pay it off in instalments when they find gainful employment), I had mentioned Asian immigrants who come over here solely to go to university, then move back to the country of their birth to use their qualifications; and with regards to employment, I had stated that a person of Aboriginal descent is much more likely to be given a job over a white applicant, despite qualification or experience, because employers are given monetary incentives from our government to try and get ATSIs off welfare. Which, by the way, very rarely works - the ATSI generally goofs off or doesn't show up to work, knowing that if they get fired they can always go straight down to Centrelink and have their welfare payments reinstated the next day. But that's another story.

And you. Don't. Know. Me. So. How. Can. You. Make. Such. An. Assumption?
I don't hate blacks or Muslims or any group of people, by any means. And if I do hate individual people of certain races, it's due to their behaviour and attitude, not jealousy, just as I hate individual white people who don't do the right thing.
Oh shi, I hate Caucasians as well? Does that still count as racist? Or is racism only hating people of another colour? Or, more to the point, is racism restricted to white people hating people of other colours? The fact is, I don't need a scapegoat for my problems. I'm one of those rare finds that has a mind of their own, speaks for themselves, and is more than willing to take blame where it's due - which means that I'm also one of those people who works hard to get the things I want, the things I deserve, and feels cheated when I see people who aren't deserving of privileges, get given them simply because of their ancestry.

There was also something in another of your posts about 'Get over it' and 'Move on with your life' having 'similar meanings'. Sorry, incorrect once again. I sympathise with these human tragedies, and I feel terrible for the people that actually witnessed, survived or died in these circumstances, but the point of it all is that, not only did slavery and the like happen so many years ago that it can't legitimately be used as a crutch by today's descendents of those people, but 'Get over it' is a far different instruction from 'Move on'. By no means do I want anybody to forget their people's history (note, I didn't say 'their history', it never happened to them), but using it against Caucasians for the rest of eternity will not only not accomplish anything, but will more than likely breed contempt for them.

Goodness, an actual valid point! I agree with this statement, I feel it's quite true - people should be left to their own devices, and if they wipe themselves off the face of the planet, oh well, sucks to be them, right? However, a couple of hundred years ago, humans thought differently, and it would seem we've learned our lesson. Yes, at times the motives for 'civilisation' were either unclear or outright selfish, but there are some cases where it was a legitimate attempt to help improve the lives of the people they ended up destroying. An honest mistake.
In this day and age, it's a huge catch-22 - if whites intervene to try and preserve the race in question, they're interfering and ruining everything, but if they don't step in and attempt to give some aid, it becomes a human-rights uproar internationally, because we have ability to help, but we're ignoring the problem and letting people die for no good reason - it's a lose-lose situation. The first option makes us racist because we're 'trying to turn everybody into whites', but the second option also makes us racist because 'we don't care about other cultures or other people'. *shrugs* What can you do?

Okay. Now that I've given you all the opportunity to hear my last words on the subject, I'll take my leave from this particular argument. I just feel that there was no reason for anybody to personally attack another in this, or any other thread, and the fact that a certain person has not only done it to me, but to Ruby ('Please, you aren't even a mod. Stop acting like one. Spare me the threats.), who I have much respect for, irks me to the point of biting back.
But I've said my piece, pointed out a few things that needed to be said, and now, as far as I'm concerned, it's over. Suffice it to say that I'll not be spoken down to by somebody who not only has less life experience than me, but can't even make a half-hearted attempt to see things from a different perspective before vilifying me for my opinions, all the while claiming that 'everyone's entitled to one'.

Don't worry. I'm not going to argue with you in any way.

First off, I going to say that maybe I did misinterpret your posts from what they were meant to be but that was just from my point of view. I apologize for personally attacking you, even though I feel like I didn't, you did so I'm sorry for that.

To bloodredruby69, honestly, it's nothing personal against you. It's just that I don't respond well to threats. (If this spamming continues I'll get a mod to lock this. This thread is on thin ice. If you continue to personally attack people I'll report your posts I find inappropriate to a mods and they'll delete them. Ect.) You do it a lot and it annoys me. This is because I'm on Mibba almost all day and people do report things such as what you report. And everytime they do I'm thinking, "Why should I delete that? They were just making a statement." I've even had someone report another mod to me saying, "This lady was mean to me." Seriously. It makes me angry is all. And I was kind of sick of it. I'm not mad at you personally and I have absolutely nothing against you, but I'd prefer it if you stopped with the threats.

Yes. I agree with most of your post. But since I don't live in Austrialia I don't know how it is. For all I know you could be underexaggerating the problem. Maybe you're just being too nice. But it could be overexaggerated as well. But like I said, I don't live there so I don't know. And I'm guessing that Aboriginals there are equilavent to blacks here.

What I agree with...

I hate it that people can stay on welfare and use our tax dollar because they are too lazy to get up off their lazy behind and get a job. Example- My mother is a single parent of three. She raises us just fine. We live in a nice neighborhood (3 bed, 2 bath, a typical home) and she works for everything she gives us. Normally a 40 hr work week but she's recently been in an accident but I won't get into that story... Tell me how in anyway is it fair that my fat cousin sits on her butt all day and lays on her back all night but she has a 6 bedroom home. All she does is get pregnant and keeps having kids. She doesn't have a job but yet they live better than us. Because they survive off welfare. My mom works hard to keep us well off and happy. It's not fair. And now that I have a job I realize that my tax dollars are paying for her luxury. I hate it with a passion.

I also agree that America (or whites in Europe ect.) can't step in OR help without getting crap about how we either ruined everything or didn't do anything to stop the ruin. This may be an awful thing to say but I think that if people want to blow each other out of this earth than let it be. Why get critized for trying to help? Screw that. Let 'em kill each other.

What I don't agree with...

I don't agree with you (or anyone else for that matter) saying that 'get over it' or 'move on with your life' have different meaning. I think that they mean basically the same thing. But that's just a difference in interpretation.

And that's pretty much it.
ImNotOkay3505
Salute You in Your Grave
ImNotOkay3505
April 10th, 2007 at 12:29pm
Davey Havok:
What I don`t understand is how black people get
offended when someone of a different race calls them the "N" word
and yet they call each other that and act like it`s a badge of honor to be called that by one of their own.
I totally agree. That has always puzzled me.
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
April 10th, 2007 at 05:27pm
Roxx my Soxx:
[To bloodredruby69, honestly, it's nothing personal against you. It's just that I don't respond well to threats. (If this spamming continues I'll get a mod to lock this. This thread is on thin ice. If you continue to personally attack people I'll report your posts I find inappropriate to a mods and they'll delete them. Ect.) You do it a lot and it annoys me. This is because I'm on Mibba almost all day and people do report things such as what you report. And everytime they do I'm thinking, "Why should I delete that? They were just making a statement." I've even had someone report another mod to me saying, "This lady was mean to me." Seriously. It makes me angry is all. And I was kind of sick of it. I'm not mad at you personally and I have absolutely nothing against you, but I'd prefer it if you stopped with the threats.[/size][/color]

Love, I don't threaten anyone.
I tell you or anyone else what I intend to do it something gets out
of hand, or continues along a path. It's not a threat, though it can
loosly be considered a warning.

I would rather tell you and have you know, and make the consious
decision to do whatever about it, be it to ignore me or stop or whatever,
than blindside you or anyone else, and have them wondering what
they did or get severely angry with me and send me hate mail.
Trust me, it's happened before.

I don't bother with threats. If it gets to that point, I just report
whatever, because to me, threats are pointless, especially here.
It is the internet, after all. What point does threatening someone
here hold?
I'm never saying "stop or I'll....",
I'm saying "Just so that you know, I intend to do such and such."
Whether they stop or not or what they do about it is up to them.

I know they sound similar, but I'm not explaining it well.
Just know that it is never intended as a threat.
------------------------------------------------------

Torosaurus.:
Davey Havok:
What I don`t understand is how black people get
offended when someone of a different race calls them the "N" word
and yet they call each other that and act like it`s a badge of honor to be called that by one of their own.
I totally agree. That has always puzzled me.

That's just the way some people are.
Like, those people who swear a blue streak and then get offended
when they hear someone else say "damn".
It's hypocrisy, and if you hit those people with logic,
they often can't explain why they are so offended by it.

Granted, the slave owners of way back when did use the term
in a negative way, but that is not the case today. It is only a word
today, and only has meaning when spoken with inflection, be it
good or bad. It doesn't matter who says it, it matters how it's said.
MCR.4.life
Killjoy
MCR.4.life
April 10th, 2007 at 08:31pm
You wanna know what I think? Racism = SHIT. Could you imagine how many people would be living right now if it wasn't for the Holocaust and stuff like that? Life is short....and no one has the right to make someone's life shorter just because of stupid opinions. Basically, I hope it ends real soon.
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
April 10th, 2007 at 11:40pm
MCR.4.life:
You wanna know what I think? Racism = SHIT. Could you imagine how many people would be living right now if it wasn't for the Holocaust and stuff like that? Life is short....and no one has the right to make someone's life shorter just because of stupid opinions. Basically, I hope it ends real soon.
I hate to burst that bubble, but racism and predjuduce
has been around as long as humans have been, and will be until
the day we no longer walk the earth.

It's something that is ingrained into our brains and way of thinking,
something that is almost unavoidable. All peoples have irrational
hatred or fear, from phobias to predjuduce against people of another
religion, to racism. It's part of our need to find and hold onto
superiority, and our logic dictates that to be superior or strong,
we have to be better than other people and/or things.
differant.
Shotgun Sinner
differant.
April 11th, 2007 at 08:33am
alright, the way i see it is this:
do you descriminate someone because they have lighter hair?
or differant colour eyes?
no.
so why decriminate against skin colour and race?
i just dont understand it.
at all.
it may sound cliched, but we're all the same on the inside and we're all humans.
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
April 12th, 2007 at 12:19am
dieontuesday:
alright, the way i see it is this:
do you descriminate someone because they have lighter hair?
or differant colour eyes?
no.
so why decriminate against skin colour and race?
i just dont understand it.
at all.
it may sound cliched, but we're all the same on the inside and we're all humans.

Ever heard a blonde joke or stereotype?
Or the stereotypes about how redheads have a fiery temper
or brunettes are smart and wise. Or how nerdy "gingers" are.

Also, you can be looked down on if your eyes are not the right
color in some cultures, especially India, I believe it was, that
thought light eyes were more beautiful.
When something is though to be more beautiful, it is valued as more.

It may be regional, but it is still there. It is just not as well seen.

Discrimination is everywhere, love.
The Jack Of Spades.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Jack Of Spades.
April 12th, 2007 at 07:35am
bloodredruby69:

This is a trait for most people in the world today, by creating
their own logic they are able to make mistakes or get through
letdowns by laying the fault entirely or mostly at the feet of
another, be it another race, their God or diety, the fact that
it is Monday, whatever. As long as there is a factor they can
shunt the blame to, they will, so that their self esteem and
self worth survive intact.

I strongly disagree with this way of thinking, but,
unfortunately, it is almost hard-wired into us.

I think that this trait is a large part of racism,
that supports the basis and takes it further
towards irrational hatred and anger.

I disagree with that. I think you're too hard on people. Yes, there are alot of people like that, but at the same time, there are so many people who are trying to counter that, or have never been like that. I'm not including myself in the latter, I'm sure I do it sometimes, but the way you say it, its like that's what happens every time.

People try to develop traits to counter that way of thinking, like honesty. Also, for me at least, guilt increases when someone else takes the blame.

However, often people do lash out on anyone and everyone because their own life isn't going so well.

Rascism, I believe, almost always stems from the parents, not that you can't counter that and break away, but it takes a certain type of person to do that.

Same with homophobia. In fact, children inherit alot more from their parents than people realise. Not that this is in anyway an excuse, but alot of people don't have the will or the realisation that they are doing something wrong to break away from that. I mean, up until the age of 7 or so, I thought my parents were made fo gold or something. No more, thought they are still good people.

Have you ever met a person that is racist who's parents at least don't have an inkling of the grudge? Or if they don't do they have the best life?

Not that in any way am I supporting or excusing racism. I am remarking.
The Jack Of Spades.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Jack Of Spades.
April 12th, 2007 at 07:40am
bloodredruby69:

True, but beauty IS a type of discrimination I suppose. Also, when has a blonde joke ever hurt anyone? Rascism is a pretty different thing, because it is meant to hurt. We are all sterotyped, judged and discriminated against all the time, and for plenty of people, its minor and doesn't hurt. Racism is a different thing.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
April 12th, 2007 at 07:53pm
Guess Who.:
Racism, I believe, almost always stems from the parents, not that you can't counter that and break away, but it takes a certain type of person to do that.

Same with homophobia. In fact, children inherit alot more from their parents than people realise. Not that this is in anyway an excuse, but alot of people don't have the will or the realisation that they are doing something wrong to break away from that. I mean, up until the age of 7 or so, I thought my parents were made fo gold or something. No more, thought they are still good people.

Have you ever met a person that is racist who's parents at least don't have an inkling of the grudge? Or if they don't do they have the best life?

Not that in any way am I supporting or excusing racism. I am remarking.

I don't necessarily believe that children develop racist/other bigoted traits solely from their parents. Yes, in a lot of cases, this is true, but I feel there's also a huge part of absorbing such opinions from observing the world around them, or being influenced by their peers, media, or mentors.
For instance, a friend of mine is one of the most vehemently racist people I've ever met. However, his parents are so un-bigoted you wouldn't believe they belong to the same family. When his sister introduced her *gasp* Asian boyfriend to the family, her parents made him as welcome as anybody, but my friend threatened to have all kinds of horrible things done to him if he didn't cut all contact with his sister right now.
Where did he learn this behaviour, you may ask? The fact is, there are several incidences which have led to his beliefs - one of the main ones being that he was bashed and robbed (for $8, no less) by a gang of black people outside the local grocery store one evening while getting some milk and cigarettes. But it goes back further than that - there was the Asian kid who sat next to him in class, calling him a 'useless, lazy, stupid piece of white trash' every day because he didn't get straight A+'s like the Asian kid, and his group of friends, some of whom lived in low-income housing estates - he saw what went on in these neighbourhoods, was at his friend's house when it was broken into by teenagers living a block away, and watched as they threatened the people in the house with knives while they ransacked it.
I'm by no means excusing his behaviour or making excuses for him, but I just wanted to point out that not everything is learned from parental behaviour. Not in this case, at least.
His beliefs weren't instilled in him from birth, he has simply learned this hatred over years of seeing non-caucasians do horrible things to innocent people for no reason other than that they can. And I feel that the power of observation can do a lot to influence a person who's not wrapped in cotton wool and sheltered all their lives - you learn not only from the people who raise you, but the environment you live in and what you see happening around you.
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
April 13th, 2007 at 01:24am
Guess Who.:
bloodredruby69:

I disagree with that. I think you're too hard on people. Yes, there are alot of people like that, but at the same time, there are so many people who are trying to counter that, or have never been like that. I'm not including myself in the latter, I'm sure I do it but the way you say it, its like that's what happens every time.

People try to develop traits to counter that way of thinking, like honesty. Also, for me at least, guilt increases when someone else takes the blame.

Hence why I started off with "People in general"
It is a very common way of thinking, one that most if not all people
go through at one point; childhood. There are a couple of key ideals
of childhood that you cast aside to become an adult.
One is selfishness; always wanting things your way and not caring what it does to others.
Another is the I-didn't-do-it mentality, where it's ok to cast blame on others
to avoid getting in trouble yourself.

While the second is usually cast aside in the obvious manner,
there still remains that thread of it in everyone.

Cigarettes And Suicide:

His beliefs weren't instilled in him from birth, he has simply learned this hatred over years of seeing non-caucasians do horrible things to innocent people for no reason other than that they can.

I agree. Sometimes, it doesn't even take years.
Some people end up judging an entire group of people on the actions
and attitude of one or a couple, from one or few occasions.
gerard rulz
Killjoy
gerard rulz
April 13th, 2007 at 11:37am
i think racism is awful i think if someone is rasist they should get fined because there is nothing rong with diffrent race
Heartquake
Salute You in Your Grave
Heartquake
April 13th, 2007 at 04:23pm
Guess Who.:
bloodredruby69:

True, but beauty IS a type of discrimination I suppose. Also, when has a blonde joke ever hurt anyone? Rascism is a pretty different thing, because it is meant to hurt. We are all sterotyped, judged and discriminated against all the time, and for plenty of people, its minor and doesn't hurt. Racism is a different thing.

Blond jokes do hurt. Not to be mean or anything, but you are probably not blond and so it doesn't affect you. I am blond and when someone tells me a blond joke, it does hurt a little because they are stereotyping me. to me, stereotyping is another branch of racism because you are basing your opinions on something that is not true or off of what you have seen in the media or wherever else. And I ABSOLUTELY HATE when people say they are having a 'blond' moment. It makes us look dumb. Just because people see Jessica Simpson Paris Hilton or Pamela Anderson acting all dumb/ being a bimbo/ being stupid does NOT mean we all are.
xXDr. KrazyXx
Fabulous Killjoy
xXDr. KrazyXx
April 13th, 2007 at 08:02pm
Racism is a very wide-spread concept. I think It's a strange concept that you base your total belief on someone by the color of their skin. Despite that, you can't just tell someone that their belief is wrong. If that's what they believe, that's what they believe. I have friends that were once utterly racist, but when they met me they found out not everyone with black in them was terrible. I've changed people's views and I love that! People grow up, it's simple.

So, yeah.
I don't think it's the greatest belief, but I don't think anyone should tell anyone what they believe is wrong.
Heartquake
Salute You in Your Grave
Heartquake
April 13th, 2007 at 08:22pm
^^ I agree that you shouldn't tell people that their beliefs are wrong.. But I think that you can slowly get them to see the error of their ways and maybe change them for the better.
earth2themorgue
Bleeding on the Floor
earth2themorgue
April 15th, 2007 at 07:28am
Bloodraine:
People think racism means hating people because of the colour of their skin. Techincally, its belief that one race is superior to others.

thats not racism. its similar though. i forgot what its called but in my religion class we learnt about that. there is a word for it but i cant remember.