Don't have an account? Create one!

Racism

AuthorMessage
skystiles.
Banned
skystiles.
August 6th, 2007 at 06:19am
It can't just be "well, we're sorry that happened to your people but there's nothing we can do about it. Tough luck." Something needs to happen. I'm not Australian, so I won't even attempt to say what. Taking children away from their parents and putting them with "civilized whites" is not the solution. Throwing welfare money at them will not help either. That never works.

And when Anglos were still living in the forest, worshiping pagan gods, African, Asian, and Amerindian societies had advanced knowledge in technology, science, literature, art, and the like.

Europe would have never gotten out of the dark age if they had not come in contact with the Muslim civilizations during the Crusades. How did the Crusades come about? Trying to capture the "Holy Land" from the Muslims. The Europeans, as always, going where they were not welcome. Where they had no business going. Taking what did not belong to them.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
August 6th, 2007 at 06:30am
streaks in the sky.:
It can't just be "well, we're sorry that happened to your people but there's nothing we can do about it. Tough luck." Something needs to happen. I'm not Australian, so I won't even attempt to say what. Taking children away from their parents and putting them with "civilized whites" is not the solution. Throwing welfare money at them will not help either. That never works.
I agree, something does need to be done, before these cultures wipe themselves off the face of the planet. Hey, I'd love to be the super-smart one to come up with the solution, but I'm s***-out of ideas - not that anybody in authority would listen to some half-assed moron from the middle of nowhere, even if I did suddenly come up with a fix-it for everything.
But the fact is, the Australian government has tried several methods - we've tried putting children in environments where they're safe, and giving them education and teaching them 'values' and 'morals' as we know them, which may or may not be a good thing, but surely it's better than leaving them out in the middle of the desert to be molested by their alcoholic parents? That didn't work - as you mentioned with the American Indians, it stripped the children of their heritage. They then tried the 'Okay, we'll leave them alone, but make sure they still have houses to live in and money to live off' approach, and as I've said, that failed even more miserably. I just don't know what else can be done - we offer our services, like hospitals, schools, etc, and the parents don't care - they either think we're trying to brainwash their kids, or they're too drug-addled from petrol-sniffing to even remember that they have children in the first place!
Now, this isn't a problem with Aborigines who live in the towns and cities amongst the rest of us - yeah, you get your messed-up ones around the place, just like you get your messed-up white kids/families (and I don't deny that every town's got them, it just seems that there's so much more focus on helping the ethnic people get their acts together than the white people that, for whatever reason, have gone off the rails), it's the ones that demanded their native land back, and now live out in the middle of nowhere with no hospitals, no schools, nothing but a pub. I don't argue that they deserve to have their native land back, the way the American Indians deserved to have their land given back to them - they were here first, fair enough. But I just don't see why they'd choose to live out in the middle of nowhere, with no resources, just alcohol, when they could live in a town and go to school, get medical treatment when they're ill, and be living just as good as the rest of the country? But they chose this for themselves, so I don't know, maybe they want to rot out in the desert - it's not like they're using their native land for anything productive, they just build a little village and rot there.
skystiles.
Banned
skystiles.
August 6th, 2007 at 06:50am
They were put there and they never left. 1. They have friends and family there. That would stop anyone from moving.
2. If too many Native Americans move off the reservation, it will no longer be a reservation by law and the Native Americans will lose all land and protection they have.
3. I will agree that, I personally believe partial assimilation is the best way to improve a population's lot. But whites need to be willing to accept minorities assimilating in the way they want to. If the want to keep their traditional food, their names, their whatever...whites must not just "tolerate" it, but accept it and embrace it. And whites need to let them assimilate. Not say "I'm for equality" and then you're still a racist who wants nothing to do with blacks in private.
Millstone
Bleeding on the Floor
Millstone
August 6th, 2007 at 08:34am
This thread is kinda depressing. After all this time some people still just don't get it.
skystiles.
Banned
skystiles.
August 6th, 2007 at 09:11am
I agree. It makes me sad. Especially on a My Chem fansite, since the guys are so outspoken against racism.
Sad
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
August 6th, 2007 at 01:51pm
Hate to burst your fanbubble, but the truth of the matter is that they probably care a little more about the dollars they're earning off my buying their records, than my personal beliefs. I don't commit hate crimes, I just shake my head at the state of the world and wonder why certain people can't just wake up to themselves and try to improve their lives, instead of sitting back with a cask of goon and blaming their misfortunes on everyone but themselves.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
August 6th, 2007 at 01:57pm

I'm pretty sure everybody here is in agreeance that racism is wrong.

The thing is, so many people are so concerned with being politically correct that they think sooo many thing are racist.
It is ridiculous.
For example, in Australia there is a massive issue with the political parties over whether or not to say sorry to the 'stolen generation' on behalf of the Australian population. Yes, it was a horrible thing for the Aborigines to have to go through, but I personally wasn't involved, therefore I am not going to say sorry for something I had nothing to do with. And I don't want our leader to say sorry on my (and about 21 million other people's) behalf.

Another example, the exemptions and special provisions in the educational system given to Aborigines and immigrants. They get to tick a box on their exams/enrollment forms, and they get extra marks, supposedly to make up for their past hardships. How can you tell me that it is fair that if two people put in the exact same amount of work, and one is caucasian and the other is Aboriginal, it is fair that the caucasian will get lower marks?
Political correctness to the extreme. It is, in my view, turning the racism around. They say it counters racism towards the Aborigines, and that they don't want racism etc., but by giving extra marks on the grounds of race, well isn't that effectively being racist towards caucasians?
Continuing the issue of racism in the education system, it is also prevalent in universities. Aboriginal & migrant people once again get special provisions to get into uni, because they are so 'disadvantaged'. They get lower entry marks, and they also get cheaper degrees.
Now, I for one think that the standard of students accepted into university should be of a certain level, but with the special provisions, that has virtually gone out the window. It means that white people have to work harder to get the same thing as other races. Isn't that racism? Whites are being disadvantaged, but nobody (well, very few people) will speak up and say something about it, because in Australia if you say anything about a minority group you are labelled a racist.

Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
August 6th, 2007 at 04:21pm
Cigarettes And Suicide:
I don't argue that they deserve to have their native land back, the way the American Indians deserved to have their land given back to them - they were here first, fair enough.

This is sort of pointless, but can I just say that I find it completely hilarious that the one everyone is calling a racist bigot is the one suggesting something that Americans never will, and never even can do. The genocide Americans put the Natives through was so effective that there aren't even close to enough Native Americans to populate, or even represent all the tribes in all their native lands - plus their native lands are now some prime real estate; I myself am typing this from where some group of the now-extinct Leni Lenape tribe must have once lived. If we gave the Native Americans all their land back, we'd be the ones rotting on the barren bits of reservations.
asha molly.:
Continuing the issue of racism in the education system, it is also prevalent in universities. Aboriginal & migrant people once again get special provisions to get into uni, because they are so 'disadvantaged'. They get lower entry marks, and they also get cheaper degrees.
Now, I for one think that the standard of students accepted into university should be of a certain level, but with the special provisions, that has virtually gone out the window. It means that white people have to work harder to get the same thing as other races. Isn't that racism? Whites are being disadvantaged, but nobody (well, very few people) will speak up and say something about it, because in Australia if you say anything about a minority group you are labelled a racist.

See, this is where I think class should come in over color. There are a lot of poor black people in the US who ended up in the projects or wherever in a lot of cases by circumstance. The public education in poor areas sucks, so even intelligent, hard-working kids can't get into good colleges - in that kind of situation, yeah, those kids should be cut a break over your average suburban white kid.
But then there are poor white people living in ghettos too - and their ancestors weren't enslaved or mistreated for the entire history of America, but I don't know their families' history; maybe they ended up where they are because of circumstance and chance rather than laziness and bad choices, too. And there are black kids in my comfy little suburban town - should they, if we had the exact same qualifications, get into college over me? Yeah, their ancestors were screwed over in this country, but hey, my ancestors were screwed over too, just not here. My family had to work just as hard to get to where we are today, shouldn't I be put at the same footing as the black kids in my town?
I don't know who all of you are familiar with Stephen Colbert, but he's a comedian who does this satirical news show here in the US, and one of the things he says goes "I'm not racist, I don't see color - but I do see class and economic standing" (it's funnier when he says it). I think that's how universities and the government should treat students when they're looking for admittance and financial aid. It should be assumed that poorer, lower-class people who have proved that they're intelligent and capable deserve the chance at college, whether their ancestors were enslaved or not. A majority of those people will be black, yes, but that doesn't mean their all black, just like not all the kids in cushy suburbs are white. Laws shouldn't be about helping the disadvantaged based on their color, they should be about helping the disadvantaged based on their economic class.
skystiles.
Banned
skystiles.
August 6th, 2007 at 05:06pm
Cigarettes And Suicide:
Hate to burst your fanbubble, but the truth of the matter is that they probably care a little more about the dollars they're earning off my buying their records, than my personal beliefs. I don't commit hate crimes, I just shake my head at the state of the world and wonder why certain people can't just wake up to themselves and try to improve their lives, instead of sitting back with a cask of goon and blaming their misfortunes on everyone but themselves.
" We wanted to create an environment where there wasn't racism or sexism or homophobia."

"Hey listen up! All you racists, sexists, homophobes, and just plain assholes, we've got a message for you...GO THE FUCK HOME! We don't want you here, don't buy our merch, and don’t listen to our music. If you have our CD, break it. We don't want you and we don't need you here. "

Perhaps, you're right. But then, they might as well not speak p about it at all. People would probably have assumed those things anyways. So perhaps you're being overly cynical. I know I wouldn't want money coming from certain people, no matter how well I was doing.
skystiles.
Banned
skystiles.
August 6th, 2007 at 05:09pm
Fezzik:

asha molly.:

See, this is where I think class should come in over color. There are a lot of poor black people in the US who ended up in the projects or wherever in a lot of cases by circumstance. The public education in poor areas sucks, so even intelligent, hard-working kids can't get into good colleges - in that kind of situation, yeah, those kids should be cut a break over your average suburban white kid.
But then there are poor white people living in ghettos too - and their ancestors weren't enslaved or mistreated for the entire history of America, but I don't know their families' history; maybe they ended up where they are because of circumstance and chance rather than laziness and bad choices, too. And there are black kids in my comfy little suburban town - should they, if we had the exact same qualifications, get into college over me? Yeah, their ancestors were screwed over in this country, but hey, my ancestors were screwed over too, just not here. My family had to work just as hard to get to where we are today, shouldn't I be put at the same footing as the black kids in my town?
I don't know who all of you are familiar with Stephen Colbert, but he's a comedian who does this satirical news show here in the US, and one of the things he says goes "I'm not racist, I don't see color - but I do see class and economic standing" (it's funnier when he says it). I think that's how universities and the government should treat students when they're looking for admittance and financial aid. It should be assumed that poorer, lower-class people who have proved that they're intelligent and capable deserve the chance at college, whether their ancestors were enslaved or not. A majority of those people will be black, yes, but that doesn't mean their all black, just like not all the kids in cushy suburbs are white. Laws shouldn't be about helping the disadvantaged based on their color, they should be about helping the disadvantaged based on their economic class.
I agree. "Affirmative Action" or some similar program would be much less controversial and much more effective for everybody if it were based more on class and financial situation. Not necessarily race.
starrysky
Killjoy
starrysky
August 9th, 2007 at 01:14am
What I think about Racism. I think it's wrong. Completely. Seriously, who cares if you're African American or Asian or anything else we're all equal! Other people shouldn't hate against them just because of the race. Personally, it's stupid, wrong and just plain ol' dumb. Keep the peace in the world and block out the hatred. PEACE.
MCRisforeversavingme
Killjoy
MCRisforeversavingme
August 11th, 2007 at 11:14pm
racism is totally messed up and retarded, just because one race has more of somthing or acts differently 2 situations does not give ANYONE a reason 2 hate or dislike or think theyre race is better than any other. the only reason bad things MIGHT happen more in other races is only because we treat them badly, wich it totally wrong.
DeadInTheWater
Fabulous Killjoy
DeadInTheWater
August 12th, 2007 at 01:00am
look, before u read this lets get things straight, i am not racist.

White people are not allowed to be racism towrds coloured people, but them calling us and being racist to us is apparently acceptable.

When people immigrate to the uk, they wear face veils and we have to respect their religion, in OUR country. When we visit their native countries we have to cover up and respect their religion in THEIR country.

I think that there is enough light shed on coloured people behaving racistly towards white people.

x.x.x
Foxy_Roxy
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Foxy_Roxy
August 12th, 2007 at 12:50pm
I think it's safe to say that no one thinks that racism is justified or right. It is sad that people are still being discriminated against for the color of their skin, however attitudes now are a hell of a lot better than, say, 50+ years ago.
A silly example is the movie "Hairspray" which, if you haven't seen it, outlines the great deal of racial discrimination in 1960s America, attitudes are changing, and this is something to be proud of. I couldn't be more proud to be associated with everyone who has posted anti-racism comments via this website.
Keep posting - people will take notice.
bjork's assistant.
Salute You in Your Grave
bjork's assistant.
August 21st, 2007 at 11:21pm
It's so w r o n g . We're all people here! Racism just proves our inhumanity. Mistreating people for their skin colour and or religion is like mistreating someone for their hair colour. IT'S THAT STUPID.

I have so much more to say but.. I can't put it in words.

-Carolyne
mcr_4ever
Joining The Black Parade
mcr_4ever
August 24th, 2007 at 01:04am
racism isn't all about color of skin but on race,gender,stuff like that....for me i've experienced racism from ppl and it really makes u feel like dirt......just because someone is different doesn't mean they should be treated diffrently we are all the same and we all came from the same place which is our mommy's stomach
Elwood.
Fabulous Killjoy
Elwood.
August 26th, 2007 at 01:05am
Racism isn't a white issue. Racism isn't a black issue. Racism is a HUMAN issue. Any human is capable of racism no matter what their religion, gender, sexual orientation, mental capacity, or yes, race. Racism is also vile and wrong and disgusting. You shouldn't treat someone in a certain way just because they're of a certain race. You should treat every single human being you ever meet LIKE A HUMAN BEING.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
August 27th, 2007 at 09:13am

Im ethnic and i grew up in what was then i spose was a predominatly white part of sydney. i didnt see too many kids my kind around till ii got to highschool
but i beleive no child is born racist its what they grow up around taht determines this.

ii used to be friends with this one guy in primary school i cant remember his name now but he stopped playing with me one day. ii couldnt put my finger on it but i remmber his dad used to give me dirty looks when he saw me playing with him.

the ot her day ii saw him with stickers on his bike that says "if it aint white it aint right" and "australia aint yellow" and other things.
i think that parents influence and beliefs have something to do with it.
i dont think youll ever get rid of racism its just too hard theres always that moron telling his kids about how blacks are less than whites and so on.

X-SpAz-X
Killjoy
X-SpAz-X
August 27th, 2007 at 11:16pm
Almost everyday I git teased bout my Culture. I am Native American. Growin up on the Ft. Berthold Reservation is tough enough. But goin to a public skool 30 miles from where u live where most of the teachers are White is hard. The kids are the most bad. They always make fun of me sayin "Ohh look theres a Prarie Nigger" DAYMN that sucks
Rhys Webb
Awake and Unafraid
Rhys Webb
August 27th, 2007 at 11:31pm
i don't like racism, but we are all victims of it.
and, we are all accused of doing it. there is no way to get away from it, and to me you will be considered a hypocrite if you say you have never used to word "nigger" or "spic"