Don't have an account? Create one!

Blaming Music

AuthorMessage
Katie
Fabulous Killjoy
Katie
July 14th, 2006 at 05:58pm
I'll be the first to admit that I can be quite aggressive, and have been since I was a small child, but my parents have recently started blaming it on the music I listen to. That annoys me, because I was violent as a five year old, and I was listening to the Spice Girls. Now I'm older, and less violent, but on the rare accounts where I do lash out, it's 'that band's fault'.
Sally Stitches.
Awake and Unafraid
Sally Stitches.
July 18th, 2006 at 07:37am
I don't think music is to be blamed.
It's not forcing kids to get a gun and put a bullet through someone's head, is it?

Music hauled me and people I know out of deep depression, and helped stop cutting. I think it has more of a positive than negitive effect.
Toro_Sex
Joining The Black Parade
Toro_Sex
July 18th, 2006 at 01:59pm
It is not the music. Music is just music. I think it is the person own personal motive.
paperwings.
Bleeding on the Floor
paperwings.
July 21st, 2006 at 04:55am
I think parents blame music because they have nothing else to blame. God knows their precious children would never do such things were it not they were under the influence of music. Rolling Eyes

[I put I Think in bold because people seem to be confusing opinions with facts...]
HANNERhopscotch;;
Thinking Happy Thoughts
HANNERhopscotch;;
July 21st, 2006 at 07:44am
Scout, we're goin' down;:

Apparently, because of the music a child listens to, they're depressed. It could be a lot of things that they're depressed about. School, family life, bullying... things like that.

yeah, and music is like someone empathising with you, talking about the things your'e going through, and helping you through it, so blaming the music is really stupid.
i do blame the parents, because of my own experiences and many more of people i know.
for instance:
when my mother told me she was going to make my life hell: i cut myself.
when my friend's dad commited suicide, he cut out part of his eye.
OMG it's Jennie :0
Motor Baby
OMG it's Jennie :0
July 24th, 2006 at 09:41pm
I don't think music is to blame, but I think it's kind of co-incidental that most people who cut listen to emo music. I doubt it's the music that causes that though.
Has anybody seen the video for Die Romantic by Aiden? The whole video is crap anyway, but the lead singer shouts in a girl's and a man's ears, and the end of the video shows the same people, and the girl makes herself sick and the man jumps off a building. If people see videos like that, then of course they are going to blame music for people's personal problems.
frank_iero_rocks_my_world
Killjoy
frank_iero_rocks_my_world
August 1st, 2006 at 04:55am
i dont think music is to blame, but it depends what you listin to, if you listin to Mcr or Green Day or Fall Out Boy then i dont think they could do much harm. anyways, music inspires me so much my mother says my dress sense has gone up the wall and i spend to much time listin to it. Well thats the way I am mother! Smile
miss girl.
Banned
miss girl.
August 4th, 2006 at 12:22pm
My parents actually blame it all on one band that they havent even heard their music before. They only saw a few pictures i have on my wall and istantly blame it on them (The band is X Japan, and yeah they are very hardcore, but there music isnt about drugs and suicide and stuff) and they used to blame it on My Chem cause they thought Gerard was scary. Now it all X Japan's fault Ii I get mad.

Like people said, music doesnt tell you to do it, just inspires you too. And im sticking with that.
BestDamnDressIOwn
Jazz Hands
BestDamnDressIOwn
August 8th, 2006 at 03:36pm
--Yara--:
I honestly think that in 9/10 cases, the parents are to blame.

If you raise your kid right, he/she will know better than to do drugs, kill people or commit suicide.

I agree with Yara, compleately.
If the kids are taught right, they'll know better. But, all kids know better, they chose to do it anyway.
But, when parents teach them of the risks, or dangers of drugs, killing people, and committing suicide. And, if they are good parents, they'll be able to stop their kids from doing that.
I don't think it's the music's fault at all!
assiralc talc
Really Not Okay
assiralc talc
August 8th, 2006 at 04:06pm
BestDamnDressIOwn:
And, if they are good parents, they'll be able to stop their kids from doing that.

How can parents actually stop their children from taking drugs? If a kid's determined enough to do it, they'll find a way. Most young people can get their hands on drugs quite easily, and what can parents do to prevent that? They can threaten and punish but if children want to take drugs then they will take drugs.
BestDamnDressIOwn
Jazz Hands
BestDamnDressIOwn
August 8th, 2006 at 04:08pm
clarissa:
BestDamnDressIOwn:
And, if they are good parents, they'll be able to stop their kids from doing that.

How can parents actually stop their children from taking drugs? If a kid's determined enough to do it, they'll find a way. Most young people can get their hands on drugs quite easily, and what can parents do to prevent that? They can threaten and punish but if children want to take drugs then they will take drugs.

Alright, true. But they should be able to teach them enough that they won't do drugs, that they won't feel the pressure to do it, cause they don't want to lead a fucked up life-style. I'm not saying that the parents can phisically STOP the kids, but they can teach them.
assiralc talc
Really Not Okay
assiralc talc
August 8th, 2006 at 04:14pm
BestDamnDressIOwn:
Alright, true. But they should be able to teach them enough that they won't do drugs, that they won't feel the pressure to do it, cause they don't want to lead a fucked up life-style. I'm not saying that the parents can phisically STOP the kids, but they can teach them.

All parents can do is fully inform their children of the dangers of drugs and ask them to avoid them, but, like you said, they can't physically stop them. Within most childhood- well, teenhood- envirnoments, young people feel the pressure to take drugs, and no amount of teaching is going to lesson the peer pressure. I think parents can ony provide their children with a framework of avoidance of drugs and a knowledge of the dangers of taking them, but ultimately it comes down the child's own decisions.
anna's just a kid.
In The Murder Scene
anna's just a kid.
August 8th, 2006 at 08:11pm
I agree that most of the time it really is the parents fault, or the peers fault. The reason kids listen to this music when they are upset, depressed, etc. (usually) is because it relates to what they feel.

Thats basically what I think.
m45tq
Awake and Unafraid
m45tq
August 8th, 2006 at 10:34pm
--Yara--:
I honestly think that in 9/10 cases, the parents are to blame.

If you raise your kid right, he/she will know better than to do drugs, kill people or commit suicide.
Exactly.

If a kid wants to listen to something like Eminem, then they should be told that some of the things he's saying aren't right, and that they shouldn't repeat bad language. That's what my parents did with me. They didn't care if I listened to Eminem or Green Day because of the swearing. They just taught me what was right and what was wrong. If a parent teaches their children correctly and not just taking away the music all together.
MistressRhi
Motor Baby
MistressRhi
August 9th, 2006 at 03:23am
I totally agree that it is the parenting or lack of that starts all this. I got smacked when i was a kid - mind you smacked not belted - and i am disgusted when i see this stuff. I was always taught to be polite, respect your elders, help others when you can, walk a mile in someone else's shoes(because then you are a mile away and you have their shoes!) etc etc, I never did drugs - except alcohol, and not excessive amounts - never smoked and never got into fights. I just cant believe it when i see this crap go on today.

lol if parents in the 60's thought that the beatles were a bad influence, what would they think of Marylin Manson?!? i'd love to see those faces!
Shelbybob Ninjapants
Salute You in Your Grave
Shelbybob Ninjapants
August 11th, 2006 at 02:51am
I don't believe that anything like this can be blamed on music
music is just a way for people to express themselves and I believe that if a person has enough 'problems' to actually interpret the music as like an actual person telling them to go do drugs or buy a gun and shoot someone or so on and so forth then that person and or people should be getting help.

because there is a difference between
your friend telling you to do drugs and pressureing you into it
and
a song by marilyn manson telling you to do drugs

because a friend is talking to you directly and a person singing a song isn't they are just making a record to be sold to millions of people, they aren't singling you out like a friend can.
RedOfTheNight
Fabulous Killjoy
RedOfTheNight
August 12th, 2006 at 07:41pm
well most of the time it is just stupid for some one to think that music will cause a kid to kill them self,but there are screwed up people out there that have an untreated disease that might hear kill your self and do it. then again I sapose that you would have to blame the disease. well mainly i think that some music can bring u down but it cant be the real cause to killing.
gabbagabbahey
Jazz Hands
gabbagabbahey
August 16th, 2006 at 02:21pm
music impacts a lot of people and influences them. yeah i guess it is the music's fault sometimes. the artists are like role models to some kids and whatever they do, the kids may follow.
Keep The Faith__x
Joining The Black Parade
Keep The Faith__x
August 18th, 2006 at 07:15am
i think ppl only blame music because they cant think of anything else. like marilyn manson being blamed for influencing those two kids who killd twelve ppl when they went in2 the school with shotguns. i think movies are more influential than music
Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
August 18th, 2006 at 07:27am
You know what's funny? If I was to go listen to something like McFly and then kill someone and claim the song told me to do it, no-one would hate McFly. It seems to be those who are slightly out of the ordinary who are victimised and blamed for other people's faults.
But the other point I wanna make is this - you can't blame someone else for your mistakes.
You are responsible for you. Upbringing or influences or the music you listen to may have pushed you over the edge and finally made you snap, but you have free-will. You don't have to go out and murder, rape and steal because you think a song or an artist is telling you to. You can choose to ignore everything you're told in life, if you wish, so there is no difference here. You can ignore the "message" of the song, if you really want to.