Don't have an account? Create one!

Blaming Music

AuthorMessage
miss girl.
Banned
miss girl.
July 10th, 2006 at 01:03pm
Die, Die, Die, My Darling:
Everyone thinks I'm crazy because of the music I listen to.
I'm not.

yeah, people at my school (which has 2 goths/emos in it being me and my friend Amy) think we are insane and weird and devilworshippers cause of how our bands dress. we are definatly not normal, but we're sane. You cant judge a book by its cover, but some people do. The way a band dresses is the same.
I Won't See You Tonight
Shotgun Sinner
I Won't See You Tonight
July 10th, 2006 at 06:30pm
new jersey:

yeah, people at my school (which has 2 goths/emos in it being me and my friend Amy) think we are insane and weird and devilworshippers cause of how our bands dress. we are definatly not normal, but we're sane. You cant judge a book by its cover, but some people do. The way a band dresses is the same.

That's the same with me, the kids at school say that I'm a psycho freak, just because of how I dress and the music I listen to.

A good example of songs that have what seem to be bad meanings is Avenged Sevenfold's 'Chapter Four'. I was sent to the counslor because I was writing those lyrics on my paper. It does not say anywhere in the song to go out and kill your friends, family, or someone randomly on the street. It is talking about a story in the bible, it has no bad meaning.

I know this has been said before, but I think it is very true: Parents (and anyone in general) only blame music because they have no one else to blame or they just want to cover up that they are the ones to blame.
Hip -Like Badass-
Salute You in Your Grave
Hip -Like Badass-
July 11th, 2006 at 05:11pm
Bloodraine:
Music has a huge impact upon peoples lives.
Some people live for music. It keeps some people sane. It gives people reason to hope, sometimes.

Who is to say it won't go the other way?

Music can do bad things, too. Its a powerful form of propaganda when used wrongly.

I very very stongly agree. I've had personal experience where listening to a certain band (not going to mention the name) seriously screwed up my life and led to me nearly killing myself many times. I am highly religious, and that certain band led to demons being able to attach themselves onto me. I don't care what your views on religion are, demons are real, and they can get to you through music.
Yaoi Owns You
Jazz Hands
Yaoi Owns You
July 11th, 2006 at 07:47pm
This is always a sticky subject because its a topic I like to call "Wait till it happens to you". Music can be interpeted as alot of different meanings. Take My Chem for example, to some people, My Chem can be the worst thing to come out of music since Ozzy. But to other people (including myself) My Chem can be the closest thing to God we can get. I'm a Chirstian and I belong to a somewhat strict Chirstian church. The pastor and board did not like that I was listening to My Chem and blamed them for my underage drinking, and self harming problems. I stood there for an hour on Sept.9, 2005 in my teen service in tears explaning how My Chemical Romance helped stop my addictions. I earned respect for believing in something so strongly. I love My Chem with all my heart and soul and I owe them my life.

But it can go both ways like people have said.

I've seen my classmates and people at school who've taken artists like Emineim and Marlyn Mason and used them as an excuse to fight and hurt themselves. I pass no judgement on them because thats what they believe in. Voice is a major influence and when used and interpeted correctly can empact the world like so many artists, leaders, and regular people like us on this forum do everyday.
guran!
Shotgun Sinner
guran!
July 11th, 2006 at 08:09pm
it isn't right to blame music. music has never had anything to do with me being depressed and stuff like that.

music acually saved me.

parents blame music cuz of insercurity, or their so afraid about their children they'll blame anything. including music. kids kill themselves, parents, teachers anyone blames the music if it's dark music, kid goes out to drugs and everyone blames Marilyn Manson because he's different and exotic and maybe it his influences that parents think might hurt their children.

honestly, many people are so afraid that it's their fault that some people do those things, they'll take anything that has a possible of having such influences on kids.
Spaztastic
Salute You in Your Grave
Spaztastic
July 11th, 2006 at 08:13pm
I don't see how parents can say blame the music.

I mean look at the music I listen to. Basically all death metal, heavy metal...stuff like that.
And do I do bad things? Nope. Straight A student, not depressed, don't talk about killing people or myself.

Music really has no effect on my friends either. It's just how they're raised.
Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
July 12th, 2006 at 05:28am
Recent scientific studies have shown that listening to your favorite song when you feel upset or depressed is more effective at getting rid of the negative feelings than excercise.

So, judging by that, it's not very likely that music will depress you, is it?
Leonardo DiCaprio
Crash Queen
Leonardo DiCaprio
July 12th, 2006 at 01:51pm
Music is Music. it effects everyone different ways.Mcr may make someone start cutting,
Marilyn Manson may someone start worshipping Satan,
Britney Spears may make someone marry trash. it all depends on the person.
people have their own minds. But i personally don`t think that music
has to do with anything like that,people act how they want to act,they choose how they want to act.
not music.music influences people to do stuff,it inspires them,
i don`t think that just because someone acts out or rebels against their parents ,their music should be blamed.
miss girl.
Banned
miss girl.
July 12th, 2006 at 02:02pm
I Won't See You Tonight:
[A good example of songs that have what seem to be bad meanings is Avenged Sevenfold's 'Chapter Four'. I was sent to the counslor because I was writing those lyrics on my paper. It does not say anywhere in the song to go out and kill your friends, family, or someone randomly on the street. It is talking about a story in the bible, it has no bad meaning.

Same here. i got in trouble for having the lyrics to Radiant Eclipse and Thank You for the Venom on my binder. Teachers think that's what makes me all depressed and emo. im NOT emo, im NOT depressed, and im NOT insane cause i like the songs. and my mom reads al the lyrics to my songs (mostly Dir en Grey cause its in japanese and she knows i wont tell her what it means) cause she things if the song mentions death in it AT ALL i will be suspended/expelled from school and end up killing myself.

parents these days....
miss girl.
Banned
miss girl.
July 12th, 2006 at 02:03pm
Starr:
Recent scientific studies have shown that listening to your favorite song when you feel upset or depressed is more effective at getting rid of the negative feelings than excercise.

So, judging by that, it's not very likely that music will depress you, is it?

i told my mom that. she yelled at me and took my cds away cause she thinks if i listen to metal or music where they scream their heads off that i wil get angry and mean and nasty to other people. Music calms me down, whether they are screaming or not.
INFLIGHTRADIO.
Devil's Got Your Number
INFLIGHTRADIO.
July 12th, 2006 at 02:05pm
ok, i think that music is has a huge influence on you, but you can't blame artists for making you to get addicted to drugs, or buy guns...
that's just stupid
if kids misbehave like that [i know, i formed it a bit weird] it's mainly the fault of the parents
but they don't want to admit that, so they look for something else to take the blame Rolling Eyes
miss girl.
Banned
miss girl.
July 12th, 2006 at 02:26pm
Panic!AtTheINOchamber:
ok, i think that music is has a huge influence on you, but you can't blame artists for making you to get addicted to drugs, or buy guns...
that's just stupid
if kids misbehave like that [i know, i formed it a bit weird] it's mainly the fault of the parents
but they don't want to admit that, so they look for something else to take the blame Rolling Eyes

i dont blame it on the parents, really. its your fault if you get addicted to drugs cause your music. your parents dont exectly say "this is okay to do." mine dont. they say "you can listen to this artist as long as you dont do what the lyrics say." it is the parents fault if they argee with the music, but not for just letting you listen to it.
INFLIGHTRADIO.
Devil's Got Your Number
INFLIGHTRADIO.
July 12th, 2006 at 02:32pm
new jersey:

i dont blame it on the parents, really. its your fault if you get addicted to drugs cause your music. your parents dont exectly say "this is okay to do." mine dont. they say "you can listen to this artist as long as you dont do what the lyrics say." it is the parents fault if they argee with the music, but not for just letting you listen to it.

ok, you've got a point there
yes, it's mostly your fault if you get addicted to drugs, but what i meant was that you have some parents who don't really care what their children are doing... so i think those kids could get easyer addicted Confused but that's just my point of view
miss girl.
Banned
miss girl.
July 12th, 2006 at 02:53pm
Panic!AtTheINOchamber:

ok, you've got a point there
yes, it's mostly your fault if you get addicted to drugs, but what i meant was that you have some parents who don't really care what their children are doing... so i think those kids could get easyer addicted Confused but that's just my point of view

i agree. but still, someone would have to buy you that Parental Advisory rated cd, and if you arent old enough to buy it and your parents dont care, you cant get one. if you are old enough to purchase it, then you should have learned in school about drugs and the sort.
INFLIGHTRADIO.
Devil's Got Your Number
INFLIGHTRADIO.
July 12th, 2006 at 02:55pm
new jersey:

i agree. but still, someone would have to buy you that Parental Advisory rated cd, and if you arent old enough to buy it and your parents dont care, you cant get one. if you are old enough to purchase it, then you should have learned in school about drugs and the sort.

you got me there
miss girl.
Banned
miss girl.
July 12th, 2006 at 02:57pm
Panic!AtTheINOchamber:
new jersey:

you got me there

okay i got myself. kids whose parents dont care wouldnt yell at them for commiting a crime. they could easily steal or have someone else buy it for them.
INFLIGHTRADIO.
Devil's Got Your Number
INFLIGHTRADIO.
July 12th, 2006 at 03:00pm
new jersey:

okay i got myself. kids whose parents dont care wouldnt yell at them for commiting a crime. they could easily steal or have someone else buy it for them.

and they probably wouldn't even know that they're kids doing drugs... so they wouldn't blame it on the music
miss girl.
Banned
miss girl.
July 13th, 2006 at 01:05pm
Panic!AtTheINOchamber:
new jersey:

and they probably wouldn't even know that they're kids doing drugs... so they wouldn't blame it on the music

no, they wouldnt care. wouldnt yell at the kid for doing drugs. they stole a cd, the parents find out and dont care. they could blame it on music but they dont care so.....wait im confusing myself....
INFLIGHTRADIO.
Devil's Got Your Number
INFLIGHTRADIO.
July 13th, 2006 at 01:09pm
new jersey:

no, they wouldnt care. wouldnt yell at the kid for doing drugs. they stole a cd, the parents find out and dont care. they could blame it on music but they dont care so.....wait im confusing myself....

i'll wait Wink
see, that's what i meant in the first place actually
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
July 13th, 2006 at 08:03pm
I dont think music can actually make people do things,
I beleive it can inspire people to do things