Don't have an account? Create one!

Blaming Music

AuthorMessage
the.reaper.wore.pink
Motor Baby
the.reaper.wore.pink
January 12th, 2008 at 11:10am
It is possible to blame music for someone's actions or how someone turned out badly but then, putting the blame on something or someone would not make the problem or mistake go away.
Day Of The Dead
Salute You in Your Grave
Day Of The Dead
January 12th, 2008 at 03:01pm
I think it's bullshit....Most of the time it IS the parents...Some people live for music, like it's their everything and they find it helps them, but if parents blame music they only have themselves to blame!!!
Most of the time, the parenst are the one's who buy the frigging CD's in the first place.
Patrick Martin Stump
Motor Baby
Patrick Martin Stump
January 12th, 2008 at 03:56pm
If the parents raise the kid right, they'll know better than to do drugs and shit. Music is just what the parents chose to blame because they don't want to admit that they've fucked-up royally.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
January 13th, 2008 at 04:47am
Katyara:
that's true, and you're right, they don't know every song I listen to, and they definitely don't pay attention to its lyrics. But I am sure that a healthy, mentally stable teenager would know the difference between right and wrong. If they don't, and they go become a suicide bomber because a singer says to do it, then something is wrong with the way they were raised.

I did always mean that music wouldn't be the only influence, usually, in the case I listed, these kids are raised in families where suicide bombers are worshipped, and just to make sure the child is 100% with them, they surround the child with music, DVds ect saying to do these these things.
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
January 13th, 2008 at 02:20pm
So like....hardcore muslims and stuff? I don't think American emo music really gets past their radar....
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
January 14th, 2008 at 04:47am

If someone cuts themself because a band or singer says so, then I think something is wrong in the way they were brought up.

I mean, who has more influence, parents or a band? It's usually parents, they control a lot more of what their kid does.

If the parent(s) blame music then I think they are just trying to find another person to place the blame on other then themselves.
Jesse Lacey;
Awake and Unafraid
Jesse Lacey;
January 14th, 2008 at 07:39am
Lovesick Melody.:

If someone cuts themself because a band or singer says so, then I think something is wrong in the way they were brought up.

I mean, who has more influence, parents or a band? It's usually parents, they control a lot more of what their kid does.

If the parent(s) blame music then I think they are just trying to find another person to place the blame on other then themselves.
EXACTLY. And if the parents don't notice the child has cut themselves, then something is wrong there, too. It all centers around the parent in the situation.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
January 14th, 2008 at 02:04pm
DIE! DIE! DIE!:
So like....hardcore muslims and stuff? I don't think American emo music really gets past their radar....

I wasn't talking about that though...
doctor.
In The Murder Scene
doctor.
January 15th, 2008 at 11:08am
DIE! DIE! DIE!:
Like I said above, I have never met a person stupid enough to do something because a musician said so. They would have had to have the idea in their heard already. People don't act that dramatically because they idolize someone. I would never puke onstage, and Bert does it all the time (and trust me, I worship him)

Yes, I realise that not all people are unstable enough to do that and it's good to know you wouldn't. However, some people do take things like music too litterally when it comes to lyrics that may be worrying or encouraging them to do something awful. The example I made before, I still stick to. If people are metally unstable enough to copy out a murder in a film, who's to say they won't do it in music?

rise_again_tomarrow
Joining The Black Parade
rise_again_tomarrow
January 17th, 2008 at 05:06pm
teh Paigerzzz!:
bleh,
i hate it when people blame music.
when i told my parents i was suicidal,
they immediately told me no black and no music.
i was like pffffft yeah right.
but i'm ok now and nothing has changed...
i agree, if anything, blame the parents.
boo for parents...
or at least mine.

yes, exactly my point... like eminem says "they say music can alter moods and talk to you, but can it load a gun and cock it too? Well if they can then the next time they insult a dude, just tell the judge it was my fault, and I'll get sued" I mean, if anything i might be dead or LITERALLY insane if it weren't for music! It keeps me in check....
p a n d a_xx
Salute You in Your Grave
p a n d a_xx
January 17th, 2008 at 08:59pm
I believe blaming childrens problems on the music they choose to listen to is compleat bullshit. I mean for most teens it gives them life and comfort, keeping them sane.

I think the people around the child that is causing the drugs/guns/suicide because they do nothing to try and stop it 99.9% of the time or the method isn't effective enough to get the message accross. I know for a fact that if it wasen't for music and the message it sends (My Chemical Romance) then I might have commited suicide because of the stress and pressure on me.

Music I know for a fact keeps me going everyday and their is not one day when I can't listen to my music or I would go into depression or break down in some way. Yeah that sounds mental but it's true.

I remember after Virgina Tech, some people blamed MCR in some way for being linked because the killer listened to them or some crazy bullcrap like that.
LittleSydneyScissors
Jazz Hands
LittleSydneyScissors
January 19th, 2008 at 06:24pm
It's not the music. It's the parents. If they think they're raising their kids right, then they should make sure their kids know better than to do drugs, or commit suicide and such. And some people have nothing more to live for and depend on than music. In fact many people, would have committed suicide without music. Especially in those cases, blaming music is not right. And it's not like most of these bands or singers try to get kids to do these things.
dark desire.
Salute You in Your Grave
dark desire.
January 25th, 2008 at 10:46pm
Can I take a moment and be devil's advocate? A lot of people here(myself included) have been "saved" by My Chemical Romance's music. Right there, is proof that music DOES affect you, so who's to say if it can affect you positively, it can't affect you negatively? If it saved your life can it also give you a nudge over the edge?
RaggDoll
Killjoy
RaggDoll
January 25th, 2008 at 11:21pm
in some cases music may be the blame! but parents are just as much as a blame!

..L..
Radio Saturday
Salute You in Your Grave
Radio Saturday
January 26th, 2008 at 06:59am
I would agree with what many of the people here have said -- that when kids behave badly, it's kind of foolish to blame it on music. It's so easy to blame something like that, but it's silly, because parents and the people that kids hang out with in real life have a lot more influence than the music they listen to.

If I were a parent, I would try to check on who my kids were hanging out with if I thought they were behaving badly.

But that's just me.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
January 26th, 2008 at 11:31am
ishowidisappear:
Can I take a moment and be devil's advocate? A lot of people here(myself included) have been "saved" by My Chemical Romance's music. Right there, is proof that music DOES affect you, so who's to say if it can affect you positively, it can't affect you negatively? If it saved your life can it also give you a nudge over the edge?

Thank you.

That is a good point. a great number of people here claim to be have saved by music of some sort, yet at the same time deny that music can't have a negative effect in any way shape or form.
jamesy
Killjoy
jamesy
January 26th, 2008 at 06:24pm
If what we listen to denotes the amount of 'evilness' in us.. what was Hitler listening to?
Marcher
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Marcher
January 26th, 2008 at 09:10pm
I agree with the whole it's the parents at fault. They're the ones who raise their children and buy the music a lot of the time. They should be responsible, they're purpose is to raise the children, they should be raising them right
mcrfanwhore101
Killjoy
mcrfanwhore101
January 28th, 2008 at 10:52pm
I think of your easily influence by music the only person to blame is yourself. Have strenth and believe in yourself and only yourself to stay strong.
sparklinggrey
Jazz Hands
sparklinggrey
January 29th, 2008 at 01:51pm
Lovesick Melody.:

why is everyone blaming the parents? it's not just the parents who influence kids or something