Don't have an account? Create one!

Blaming Music

AuthorMessage
Fading Sanity
Bleeding on the Floor
Fading Sanity
January 5th, 2008 at 11:22pm
I believe that of coarse music can influence certain feelings. But it is definitely not the cause. Anything in life can influence you, but in end it comes down to what you want to do. If you think a song is giving off the message of it's alright to kill, yes it can influence you to think it's true and make decisions, but in the end your morals and general before-hand knowledge are going to make the decision as to whether you believe it. As others have said, it has a lot to do with how you were raised and the strength of your will power
Jesse Lacey;
Awake and Unafraid
Jesse Lacey;
January 6th, 2008 at 04:43pm
chemicalsatthedisco:

well i mean thats true to a certain extent. sometimes music can influence us. i mean listening to something like the curch of hot addiction, then listen to outta heart, and you may see a change in your mood. im just saying, some people are stronger than others, so it is a possiblity for some. im not making fun, calling you out, or anything with a malicious intent im simply stating my opinion
I understand that it can influence one's mood, as I know this from personal experience, but I do not think listening, to, say, "Vampires Will Never Hurt You" (llllooooovvvveee that song In Love) and hearing the line "can you stake my heart" will make you go kill someone. If someone is that unstable, they need to be helped. Simple as that.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
January 6th, 2008 at 05:21pm
People here talk lots about rock music, but what about rap?
I'm trying not to generalise, but in yob culture, the yobs tend to listen to rap music more than other genres.
Often, these songs feature lyrics about rape, murder, gun crime and so on, and I think these do influence these people to commit said acts, obviously they are only a small factor, but a factor none the less.
Jesse Lacey;
Awake and Unafraid
Jesse Lacey;
January 8th, 2008 at 06:39pm
Simple and Clean:
People here talk lots about rock music, but what about rap?
I'm trying not to generalise, but in yob culture, the yobs tend to listen to rap music more than other genres.
Often, these songs feature lyrics about rape, murder, gun crime and so on, and I think these do influence these people to commit said acts, obviously they are only a small factor, but a factor none the less.
The (good) thing about music is that so many "messages" are being promoted through it, what with songs that are actually about suicide and Never Too Late (3 days grace) and Teenagers and famous last words and Going Under (Evanescence). Depending on what you listen to, you may be more likely to do something. I just think that you take that final step in decision making, and while I don't know what to blame for that, it sure isn't the music.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
January 9th, 2008 at 12:04pm
^
But not all songs portray good messages, just because some music does doesn't mean it all does. For example, You get some music actually encouraging people to become suicide bombers.
DeadInTheWater
Fabulous Killjoy
DeadInTheWater
January 9th, 2008 at 12:27pm
we were kinda talking about this in drama yesterday,
we were talking about columbine and how marilyn manson had been blamed by the media,
tbh i dont think anyone cann be greatly influenced by music,
because the music that people say cause suicide ect are listened to by millions of people daily and the majority of them are okay
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
January 9th, 2008 at 12:45pm
Well music definately alters moods. Like when you hear a song and it makes you cry, or that rush of power you feel when your jamming to hardcore music.

But to blame music for the actions that people take is stupid. Hawthorne Heights sings about self mutilation, but what kind of idiot listens to that sort of thing and thinks "wow, I think im going to try cutting myself now"
Those who blame music seem to look at human beings as thoughtless, brainless, and incapable of making our own choices. Every decision a person makes is their own.
doctor.
In The Murder Scene
doctor.
January 9th, 2008 at 02:12pm

I think music is not always to blame HOWEVER as Simple and Clean said there is a lot of music around promoting people to kill themselves or others. As said before, probably, people are not in the right state of mind when listening to that music but if their favourite artist makes rape or murder acceptable then, in their eyes, it may be the 'right thing to do'.

Just as some people see a violent scene in a film and decide to act it out, that also happens in music. I'm not saying it's the musicians faults in anyway but they need to be careful with what they put out there and remember that some fans may take it to heart.

DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
January 9th, 2008 at 04:04pm
Like I said above, I have never met a person stupid enough to do something because a musician said so. They would have had to have the idea in their heard already. People don't act that dramatically because they idolize someone. I would never puke onstage, and Bert does it all the time (and trust me, I worship him)
love on her arms.
Bleeding on the Floor
love on her arms.
January 9th, 2008 at 06:23pm
''They say music can alter moods and talk to you
Well, can it load a gun up for you and cock it too'?
-Sing For the moment, Eminem

Personally, i think it can affect people.
There this kid in my class who loves Marilyn Manson, and is always really violent (bully) and slits his wrists too.

Im Defiantly not blaming ANYTHING on Marilyn Manson,
i love Marilyn Manson but some people takes lyrics out of contacts.
This Kid has some problems and got help.

I think Music causing suicide is a big over statement.
If your think about suicide and depressed, some music COULD make you more sad, since your not emotionally stable.

i
Jesse Lacey;
Awake and Unafraid
Jesse Lacey;
January 9th, 2008 at 09:15pm
Simple and Clean:
^
But not all songs portray good messages, just because some music does doesn't mean it all does. For example, You get some music actually encouraging people to become suicide bombers.
But if somebody is so emtionally unstable that hearing such a song would make them become a suicide bomber, then he/she needs some kind of mental care, or just shouldn't be listening to it in the first place.

And of course, I knew that Smiley

You just can't say "mcr makes people cut themselves since i'm not okay is sort of depressing", when they have songs like welcome to the black parade and famous last words, which are very very against such things.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
January 10th, 2008 at 03:32am
^ Well actually, when you take impressionable young teeneger, spice up a song with lyrics saying being a suicide bomer is good, that it helps people, rids the world of the immoral English people, ect ect, I think it is very easy to say that they can leave a foot print on you.
Jesse Lacey;
Awake and Unafraid
Jesse Lacey;
January 10th, 2008 at 07:36am
Simple and Clean:
^ Well actually, when you take impressionable young teeneger, spice up a song with lyrics saying being a suicide bomer is good, that it helps people, rids the world of the immoral English people, ect ect, I think it is very easy to say that they can leave a foot print on you.
very true, and I agree. But someone should be able to notice that their teenager is planning to be a suicide bomber and remove them from whatever music caused it.
Rhys Webb
Awake and Unafraid
Rhys Webb
January 10th, 2008 at 10:15am
Katyara:
very true, and I agree. But someone should be able to notice that their teenager is planning to be a suicide bomber and remove them from whatever music caused it.

here's the thing.
i don't think music influences because the kid could have the thought to be a suicide bomber already. music can trigger it, but i really doubt a kid is going to go full on and become it just by one song.
i listen to music that talks about cutting, atheism, etc. and i am not doing any of those things.
Sarahbree
Killjoy
Sarahbree
January 10th, 2008 at 10:08pm
Yeah well if parents are going to blame our music for making us whatever then we can blame there music for making them so stupid and thick!!!!!
Jesse Lacey;
Awake and Unafraid
Jesse Lacey;
January 11th, 2008 at 07:39am
b l i s s.:

here's the thing.
i don't think music influences because the kid could have the thought to be a suicide bomber already. music can trigger it, but i really doubt a kid is going to go full on and become it just by one song.
i listen to music that talks about cutting, atheism, etc. and i am not doing any of those things.
that's what I'm saying (sorry if I was vague); someone should have noticed that the child was thinking about suicide/whatever and not let them listen to that music.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
January 11th, 2008 at 05:55pm
Well, what I'm trying to say is, it can put idea's into people's heads.
All the kids need to do is a mere google search on an idea used in a song, and they've now found support foums on how to become whatever, how to do it, why to do it ect ect.
Jesse Lacey;
Awake and Unafraid
Jesse Lacey;
January 11th, 2008 at 10:32pm
Simple and Clean:
Well, what I'm trying to say is, it can put idea's into people's heads.
All the kids need to do is a mere google search on an idea used in a song, and they've now found support foums on how to become whatever, how to do it, why to do it ect ect.
but why wasn't someone watching this child? why didn't someone notice this child was under the influence of whatever it is and get them help?
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
January 12th, 2008 at 04:13am
Do your parents know every song you listen to? Do they pay attention to it's lyrics?
Do they even moniter your online activity?
If the anser is no to any of these questions, then you can see how easy it is.
Jesse Lacey;
Awake and Unafraid
Jesse Lacey;
January 12th, 2008 at 10:19am
Simple and Clean:
Do your parents know every song you listen to? Do they pay attention to it's lyrics?
Do they even moniter your online activity?
If the anser is no to any of these questions, then you can see how easy it is.
that's true, and you're right, they don't know every song I listen to, and they definitely don't pay attention to its lyrics. But I am sure that a healthy, mentally stable teenager would know the difference between right and wrong. If they don't, and they go become a suicide bomber because a singer says to do it, then something is wrong with the way they were raised.