Blaming Music

AuthorMessage
Jesse Lacey;
Awake and Unafraid
Jesse Lacey;
January 29th, 2008 at 03:36pm
sparklinggrey:
Lovesick Melody.:

If someone cuts themself because a band or singer says so, then I think something is wrong in the way they were brought up.

why is everyone blaming the parents? it's not just the parents who influence kids or something
It isn't entirley the parents' fault.Sadly a lot of things in society condone sex, self harm, violence, and other things that we don't need. However, I think it's important to raise your children to know what should be done and what shouldn't be done, and to know not to listen to the media- which includes music -all the time.
Dana Way
Banned
Dana Way
January 29th, 2008 at 07:35pm
My parents understand the lyrics of music and they know that I won't do anything bad.
Switchblade Saint
Salute You in Your Grave
Switchblade Saint
January 30th, 2008 at 03:40am
i've been reading the insights posted here and i guess there's no real perfect way to ensure ur kid turns out OK. for those who blame solely parents, i don't agree. the world today is too complex to pin the issue on 1 party alone. (u know what they say - life is simple. people aren't.)

Gerard's Babe, what u said is great - if only every parent were like yours. I think one of the answers would be Check It, Don't Knock It. as in if u suspect ur kid is listening to smthg destructive, check it out, ask em about it. listen to it urself b4 making any judgment.

Humans make preconceived judgments too easily. There r kids who jump off a building after listening to Manson, but even more who don't. there r also kids who slit their wrists even though all they listened to was N'Sync. I rest my case...
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
January 30th, 2008 at 03:55pm

there seems to be a little blame on the parents here but its not always the case i mean its not always the music that does it either .
sometimes it just comes down to the individual, what kind of a person they are and the mentality that theyve developed .

i listen to a whole bunch of different things
listening to rap music dosnt make me want to comit drive bys
listening to hardcore dosnt make me want to go agro .

i think it lies soley on the person listening. and noone else .

TeamEdward
Fabulous Killjoy
TeamEdward
February 3rd, 2008 at 03:03pm
ha its really stupid
saying that
music does change feelings but its the world not the people who influence us
once someone asked why i listen to type of music
and i said
because in a weird way i get it and it fulfills me
i like the way that its not always about peoples exes and shit
music is a way of a musician to show their feelings and entertain people
but just taking the longer route
sometimes they don't get it and they don't wanna admit it
P A N D O R A
Demolition Lover
P A N D O R A
February 4th, 2008 at 11:37pm

It's not the band/artisits fault
Basically:
you choose to listen to it it's your responsability.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
February 5th, 2008 at 04:19pm
I'm going to bring back a point made in the page before:

Many people here are happy to say 'MCR saved my self!'
Obviously, music has influenced them.
But, as soon as music (any band, not nessersarily MCR) assiated with things like gun crime, self harming, rape ect, these very same people just say 'blame the parents, music doesn't influence people, they obviously had a bad mental state'

Double standards, I do believe.
Freddy
Always Born a Crime
Freddy
February 6th, 2008 at 12:12pm
well here's what i think :

music is very influential.
sometimes people believe that certain lyrics are directed at them, and choose to act on them. but in most cases if not all, it is found that the person has some kind of mental disorder.
whether this mental defect was caused my parents, music, traumatic situations throughout life or all three, no one can know.

it's my opinion that blame does not lie completely with the parents.
there are a million and one things to consider.
but i dont think that music is to blame.
it might provoke someone act violently, but in my opinion if music can have such a strong effect on someone, that person has mental health issues and was probably going to act violently at some stage anyway!

plenty of people listen to the same music, and the vast majority never commit a serious crime. so how can music be blamed??
Jesse Lacey;
Awake and Unafraid
Jesse Lacey;
February 7th, 2008 at 07:40am
Psyduck:
well here's what i think :

music is very influential.
sometimes people believe that certain lyrics are directed at them, and choose to act on them. but in most cases if not all, it is found that the person has some kind of mental disorder.
whether this mental defect was caused my parents, music, traumatic situations throughout life or all three, no one can know.

it's my opinion that blame does not lie completely with the parents.
there are a million and one things to consider.
but i dont think that music is to blame.
it might provoke someone act violently, but in my opinion if music can have such a strong effect on someone, that person has mental health issues and was probably going to act violently at some stage anyway!

plenty of people listen to the same music, and the vast minority never commit a serious crime. so how can music be blamed??
I absolutely agree. I just don't think that someone in a healthy state of mind would listen to..., say Cemetery Drive, hear the lyrics "singing songs that make you slit your wrists" and then go try to commit suicide.

PS- I think you meant vast majority never commit a serious crime Tehe
sad savior;
Wild Eyed Joker
sad savior;
February 8th, 2008 at 12:03pm
My whole family [except for my aunt and uncle] blame MCR for me being so depressed.
My aunt and uncle don't blame them because they listen to them, too. They listen to alot of music that I do, and they understand that it does help me through alot.

I think alot of people are way to close-minded about music. I mean, sure, some of the lyrics to songs are depressing.
Like, Backmask by Mindless Self Indulgence, for example. It says "Kill yourself because you don't get what you want" but when you play that song backwards on your computer, or search it on youtube or something, the backwards part in that song says "DON'T LISTEN TO THIS SONG."

And like the post above me, the lyrics in Cemetery Drive don't influence people to go slit their wrists or hold a loaded gun to their head.
And if anyone thinks that MCR would encourage that, then they are sorely mistaken.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
February 8th, 2008 at 01:05pm
^ But in the same way you have been 'helped' by MCR, you must be able to see how influence can be turned around to become negative?
Sex and Candy
Salute You in Your Grave
Sex and Candy
February 10th, 2008 at 06:34am
to tell you the truth its a bunch of crap!!!!!! some parents are really stupid for thinking that..... its like some people think that the reason why some of us like to have our curtains closed is because of the music, and its a load of crap!!!!!!! music might have an influence on us but not all music does that, and it doesnt mean that its bad. people should really think before they talk.im serious!!!! Disgust
androidgirl
Motor Baby
androidgirl
February 10th, 2008 at 06:51am
music has a certain influence on a person's thinking but there isnt really a tangible scientific truth about backmasking and stuff so you couldn't really blame music 100%.

and besides, its up to the person on how he/she would interpret the song, and if the parents raised their child the right way, then the child would be able to know what's right and wrong.
Richey Edwards.
Demolition Lover
Richey Edwards.
February 10th, 2008 at 05:50pm
Well i think music is a way to express yourself and be creative.So its stupid for parents to blame music for what they have done.
dreamerforever
Salute You in Your Grave
dreamerforever
February 10th, 2008 at 08:48pm
Blaming music on a problem isn't really logical, you need to discover the actual reason for something.
PrincessK492
Killjoy
PrincessK492
February 17th, 2008 at 02:30pm
To me, music is just something that's enjoyable, and you listen to it to relax, party, rock out, get things off your mind, etc. I don't think any musician is responsible for someone hurting themselves or others. Even if someone says you should kill yourself or kill someone else, if you actually do it it just means that you're way too easily influenced. It reminds me of the old phrase "Would you jump off a bridge if everyone else was doing it?"

I think it has more to do with the people you hang around as well as your parents. If your friends talk about doing something a lot, then that might influence you to get into whatever the idea was. Not all people who listen to rap are going to go on random shootings, and not all people who listen to "emo" are going to commit suicide. If someone decides to do something destructive, it's usually a personal problem that was probably going to happen eventually anyway, since no one was there for them to talk to or help them out.

It's just like movies or video games. Just because you see someone else do it, does that mean you'll do it too? Everyone should be taught the difference between what's real and what's fake, what's wrong and what's right, and how to not take everytihng at face value. If you play a violent game or watch a violent movie, you leave that violence there when you stop playing the game or watching the movie.

About music being a positive influence, well, that's a good point. I can't really say any music has ever saved me or influenced me to do anything, positive or not, so I kinda can't see from that point of view. It's put me in a better mood before plenty of times, but that's about it.
ilessthan3you
Killjoy
ilessthan3you
February 18th, 2008 at 10:11am
to me music is an escape from reality
i dont do alot of stuff that i see or hear my favourite musicians doin (unless its somethin like stayin sober or not smokin).

I think some parents r to blame for the way there kids act
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
February 18th, 2008 at 10:13am
Lost-In-The-Mist:
to me music is an escape from reality
i dont do alot of stuff that i see or hear my favourite musicians doin (unless its somethin like stayin sober or not smokin).

See, you are being influenced, so why is it always the parents fault if someone is influenced negativly, but the musicians fault if influenced positivly?
Modern Zero.
Bleeding on the Floor
Modern Zero.
February 18th, 2008 at 11:32pm
I don't think that music should be blamed for stupid things like that because they're a lot more influentual things out there than music.

Marilyn Manson getting blamed for the Columbine Shootings for example, i think that it is ignorant for people to blame him on that.

People get influenced a lot more from reality TV, the media, what they read in celeb magazines, and their parents influence them more than music does.

There is more to blame for the Columbine shootings than Marilyn. There are a lot of video games that show violence, blood, and guns.

I believe that music does influence people but there are a lot of other things to think about before you actually blame it. I just think that some people are too easily influenced.

I think that parents need to be responsible for the things their kids watch, listen to, and play. If they believe that they're too young for certain things than they (the kids) should listen so they're not influenced to things that they shouldn't be influenced to at they're age because kids get easily influenced by everything.
Miracles.
Joining The Black Parade
Miracles.
February 19th, 2008 at 02:28am
Forgive me if someone has already said this.
Music does impact a lot on my life.
It keeps me sane.
However; it also brings on a wave of depression when I actually think of the lyrics and consider them.
Still, it cannot be the artists fault, as I interpreted the music that way.
Some artists write they're lyrics, but others who listen to them may think that they mean another thing.
For example.
A long, long time ago I heard the Greenday song 'Minority', and I thought that they meant to murder anyone who tried to take control.
As I said, people (Such as me; I'll admit it) can interpret the music a completely different way to what the artist meant it to be.