Don't have an account? Create one!

I Don't Love You

AuthorMessage
Im Not Okay!!
Killjoy
Im Not Okay!!
January 21st, 2008 at 05:18pm
I dont think its about Bert but im not quite sure what its about one of my friends thinks that it might be about Eliza... but if you ask me i dont have a fuckin clue
savannah's gone.
Bleeding on the Floor
savannah's gone.
January 30th, 2008 at 04:39pm
i think its to do with a guy (possibly gerard) loving a girl and then she does something to upset him ('so sick and tired of all the needless beatings') and hes just had enough of her so he doesn't love her anymore
XxBlack MariahxX
Killjoy
XxBlack MariahxX
February 11th, 2008 at 02:30am
The bert theory does make a lot of sense becuase they used to be friends and now they're not and neither side will tell why. it could be possible that gerard was getting clean and bert wasn't and that ended the relationship but they didn't want to say that to the cameras becuase it's personal and niether one wanted to sound like a saint. the lyrics also match the idea, thank you i didn't know what hte song was really about until this =)
The Collision
Salute You in Your Grave
The Collision
February 12th, 2008 at 02:14am
What were the LOTMS lyrics to IDLY?
geeluvsmee
Killjoy
geeluvsmee
February 20th, 2008 at 09:54pm
Bert and Gerard????? Am I missing something?

I don't love you. Is personally my favorite song.
BrittneyxBomb
Killjoy
BrittneyxBomb
February 27th, 2008 at 10:01pm
I could be really off about this but I think it's about a guy (Gerard) and a girl (insert name here)having a relationship and she didn't love him anymore but didn't tell him even thought he knew that she didn't and he went to her house and he walked inside and she had a gun and was going to kill herself and he saw her and said "I Dont Love You" that what I think and once again I could be really off.
Switchblade Saint
Salute You in Your Grave
Switchblade Saint
February 28th, 2008 at 04:42am
Guys, r u sure G & Bert had that kind of relationship? I'm not ruling it out -- its entirely possible -- but i dunno that the whole song is about him. Although the gloves & the references to self-destruction may have been inspired by Bert.

maybe its partially about their broken friendship, as well as smthg bigger. just like most of their songs that stem from a central topic but end up meaning a lot more as well, to them & to us
Helmee Bluth
In The Murder Scene
Helmee Bluth
March 5th, 2008 at 11:31pm
To me, it sounds like a conversation rather than one person talking in one verse and the other replying in the second, especially (or, mostly) "Sometimes I cry so hard from pleading, so sick and tired of all the needless beating." The other person would respond "Baby, when they knock you, down and out is where you oughta stay." I like to think it's how The Patient (or Gerard) is remembering the falling out.

The Collision:
What were the LOTMS lyrics to IDLY?
I believe he said "We can't even look at you this way. But I did, and I loved you just the same. When you go, would you even turn to say: I don't love you like I did yesterday."
MyChEmIcAlRoMnCe
Killjoy
MyChEmIcAlRoMnCe
March 9th, 2008 at 02:39pm
To me the song is like you say you love somebody but the next day you moved on
Gerard_Is_God
Killjoy
Gerard_Is_God
March 31st, 2008 at 06:39pm
I think its about Eliza cause she was a hairdresser and the line "Another dollar's just another blow"?If that makes ANY sense at all!
butterflyXkisses
Killjoy
butterflyXkisses
April 3rd, 2008 at 09:28am
Tbh i dont think its about bert, maybe just about lost love altogether :/
its a rly meaningful song tho, i dunnno if it cheeers me up or makes me worse :/

:]
BlackRoseDying
Fabulous Killjoy
BlackRoseDying
April 8th, 2008 at 01:44pm
i think it means something like...

when u wake up you just dont feel the same about someone when a major change happens in a couples life like fights, cheating, false pregnancys, etc.
or if the feeling of love gets ripped out of you when u r forced to move on
thesharpestminds
Killjoy
thesharpestminds
April 8th, 2008 at 03:21pm
I don't think it's about Eliza, since they broke up a while after the cd was released. It's most likely about Bert.
cemetery-driver
Killjoy
cemetery-driver
April 10th, 2008 at 03:34pm
Well me and my friend both agree how this song is about how much he loves his mothers cat called chuckles, because when he says "better get out" he is so obviously talking about her going out of the cat flap.

He then goes on to explain how he is late 4 his quantum physics lesson with a man called Derek and hoe he keeps getting pressured for help from his art teacher.

so thats pretty much it

O and if you listen very very carefully he shouts dump and gutted in the chorus
WayDown...
Killjoy
WayDown...
April 10th, 2008 at 03:52pm
yeah, i agree about the chuckles theory, and about the quantum physics classes...

its very faint, but you can just make out "dump!" and "gutted!" every so often in the chorus

however, my heart is telling me that the real issue here, is how many people are ashamed of being sexually attracted to animals (such as chuckles) and this song is to raise awareness...

Mr. Green
cemetery-driver
Killjoy
cemetery-driver
April 10th, 2008 at 04:10pm
i so very glad you agree with me ^^^

The gutted and dumps almost sound like they are being shouted from a group of teenagers called oli, clara, mark and alice!

Almost like thier stood in the middle of a playground, but i think the dumps and gutted are trying to tell a story about how and man called wilko and miki got together and had a baby DJ, i dont know why i think this just the tone of his voice gives me that impression

Entitled To My Own Opinion !!!!!
the rise and fall
Killjoy
the rise and fall
April 10th, 2008 at 07:26pm
i almost get the feeling he's talking to a prostitute. i mean, theres a dual meaning obviously, cuz it can also tie into the "story" of the album. (the patients lover couldnt handle his disease, left him, etc.) but i get the feeling theres more to this song than meets the eye

i think its sort of like...a person fell in love with someone, but then found out they're a prostitute and that they couldn't really love them back. or maybe its a different form of self destruction, but i get the feeling it has to do with soliciting sex.

"And after all this time that you still owe" > possibly indicating that the person is a prostitute because of money issues
"You're still the good-for-nothing I don't know"> a big reason i think this person is a prostitute

"Sometimes I cry so hard from pleading
So sick and tired of all the needless beating
But baby when they knock you
Down and out
It's where you oughta stay"> he tries to plead with her to change her ways, but she wont, causing him to be disgusted with her. she gets hurt during her line of work, and gerard finds it all very pointless, thinking she could walk away any time.

"And after all the blood that you still owe
Another dollar's just another blow > like a...you know. main reason for thinking its prostitution
So fix your eyes and get up
Better get up"> if she's not going to try find a different job, she had better get up and continue. (sarcasm)

i guess it could also be about drugs...but i just feel really strongely about the prostitution thing. *shurgs* who knows? its just my take.
Stewie G. Griffin
Motor Baby
Stewie G. Griffin
April 11th, 2008 at 06:58am
Stewie G. Griffin:
To me, it's like a conversation between Gerard and 'Kat': A catalyst to their break up.

Gerard sings parts of the song from Kat's perspective. Like she was there while he battled his addictions and got the band started but it was too much, or on the flip side, not enough...

Lines like 'After all the time that you still owe, your still a good for nothing I don't know'; like even after touring with Three Cheers, he hasn't changed and his demons are still there

'Take your gloves and get out'...I associated that with Gerard wearing the Skeleton gloves and so on.

'And after all the blood that you still owe, another dollar's just another blow' Like she realizes that everyone wants a piece of him; the fans, record label, t.v...and it's to much to deal with

'So fix your eyes and get out "Fix your eye make-up; your public awaits"... like she's being bitter or sarcastic towards him.

To me, it's like Kat tried to deal with Gerard and the band blowing up, but couldn't; he didn't give her the 100% percent he gave the band.
Yeah... my interpretation.

When you go... dont ever think I'll make you try to stay. And maybe when you get back, I'll be off to find another way... Kat was telling him that when he leaves (for tour or something), she wont make him stay even though she wants him to. And that maybe, when he comes home, she'll have found another Way...Someone to replace Gerard.

I just though of that one. Embarassed

The song was around long before Eliza and the whole Bert thing, and just like 'Stay' it went through different incarnations before we got what was on TBP.
So, from here, I think it's safe to say IDLY was NOT about Eliza or Bert McCracken.
Nor did Bert or Gerard have a relationship. They were friends. That's all.
Not-o-f!cking-kay
Killjoy
Not-o-f!cking-kay
April 29th, 2008 at 12:27am
I Personaly Think this song is about Loving someone, but having to let go, beacause they dont love you, and then soon not loving them anymore, or being confused, and losing all hope, therefore giving up
i feel this way about the gu i like
nissar_
In The Murder Scene
nissar_
May 8th, 2008 at 02:46pm
Okay I sound crazy thinking this but I remember somewhere I read where Cancer was about how Gerard's realtionship cause during the making of their album thats when it all ended and before that Eliza was around. Trying hard to be with him but he refused cause he was with his ex then even though they'd talk but she wanted more but Gerard said he loved his girlfriend then. I hope I don't confuse anyone.
I'm just putting in a guess. Cause after that I know Eliza got closer to him after he left his ex and all that. Oh great now I confused my own self.