Don't have an account? Create one!

Does My Chemical Romance really Save Lives?

AuthorMessage
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
October 13th, 2008 at 09:56am
Vampire Cat:
Don't know what it is, whether it's the music, whether it's what the guys have had to deal with in their own lives, whether it's their wonderful quotes, something just draws you to them. Now I've been around a long time and music's always been a big part of my life but no other band has ever had this effect on me before. MCR fans are amazing too. I've never seen such a devoted bunch of fans. You are all wonderful.
Yes, they are special. So are the Souls. I like the concept of the MCR fandom, but I'm not too thrilled with some aspects of it: the elitism among "older" fans, the sense of entitlement that some have about scrutinizing the bandmembers personally, and of course the teenie-ism. Souls fans don't do this stuff.
Gerard Wa-HEY!
Jazz Hands
Gerard Wa-HEY!
October 13th, 2008 at 10:00am
Personally, I think that My Chemical Romance has in fact saved lives with their music and lyrics, but not technicaly in the way people think. I think tehy save people from being emo in a corner... like comming out and living life. Like, their saving peoples lives from being tortured nothing. They deffinatly impact peoples lives ever so much.

Also, Gerard saves lives physically... on AT LEAST one occassion. It was in a show in... I don't remmeber XD
It was during Dead! and he stopped the entire show because one girl tripped and fell and was about to be trampled. He stopped it at a rather intense part and if everyone would have started jumping, she would have died. They got her out and things started up again but I mean, that truly meant something to me. My Chemical Romance saves lives, they truly and honnestly do. I really don't care if you think that they don't (sorry if I sound like a bitch, I'm not meaning to come off that way XDDD lol) ♥♥♥
Don't Ignore Me
Killjoy
Don't Ignore Me
March 25th, 2009 at 02:57am
They didn't literally save my life, like stop me from killing myself or stuff like that, but they saved my life in a way that I know I'll understand a lot of things my friends don't, like... I don't know. But I know that I will achieve. Very Happy
angels_of_unknown_99
Killjoy
angels_of_unknown_99
March 25th, 2009 at 06:31pm
MCR saved MY life. Well... not physically, but I just went through some awful shit and I hated myself and wished I was dead.
I am not going to say that I was actually going to kill myself. I wasn't. I was just never happy with myself, and I kind of "rediscovered" the impact of My Chem's lyrics and how they actually do soothe my soul (my friend laughed at me when I said that).
Like Gerard said, "If for one minute you think you're better than a sixteen year old girl in a Green Day t-shirt, you are sorely mistaken. Remember the first time you went to a show and saw your favorite band. You wore their shirt, and sang every word. You didn't know anything about scene politics, haircuts, or what was cool. All you knew was that this music made you feel different from anyone you shared a locker with. Someone finally understood you. This is what music is about.." That's pretty much how I feel. Like they understand me and wrote every word just for me, and that makes me feel like someone out there actually cares about me.
Mousy
Fabulous Killjoy
Mousy
March 25th, 2009 at 07:13pm
I'm know they save lives- They saved mine. A few months ago I went through a majorly depressive state and there were a couple of times where I was very...very close to killing myself. My best friend told me she was "Done with dealing with my bullshit" and than she told me to go kill myself. She was the most important person in my life and my best friends so it was a blow....THat wasn't why I was depressed though: there were other reasons for that and I was at the time she told me that. She just didn't want to deal with my problems anymore.
And than I would turn to things like music and, oddly, comedy...reading too- to keep me from totally loosing my mind.

My Chemical Romance showed me that it's alright to be myself even if other people, even my best friends, think I'm a freak. I learned that it's "okay to be messed up". And I learned that I could get through it. I think learning about how Gerard faught depression and was ailenated in school taught me that I could and would get through it.
The line "I am not afraid to keep on living, I am not afraid to walk this world alone" means a ton: I tell myself that every single day because I feel along but I have to know it's okay.
And I'm Not Okay- The whole video- it reminds me of my life...

Okay, now I'm rambling. And I'm sure that this sounds a little mellodramatic coming from a 14 year old....but it's the truth.The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
Mousy
Fabulous Killjoy
Mousy
March 25th, 2009 at 07:13pm
I'm know they save lives- They saved mine. A few months ago I went through a majorly depressive state and there were a couple of times where I was very...very close to killing myself. My best friend told me she was "Done with dealing with my bullshit" and than she told me to go kill myself. She was the most important person in my life and my best friends so it was a blow....THat wasn't why I was depressed though: there were other reasons for that and I was at the time she told me that. She just didn't want to deal with my problems anymore.
And than I would turn to things like music and, oddly, comedy...reading too- to keep me from totally loosing my mind.

My Chemical Romance showed me that it's alright to be myself even if other people, even my best friends, think I'm a freak. I learned that it's "okay to be messed up". And I learned that I could get through it. I think learning about how Gerard faught depression and was ailenated in school taught me that I could and would get through it.
The line "I am not afraid to keep on living, I am not afraid to walk this world alone" means a ton: I tell myself that every single day because I feel along but I have to know it's okay.
And I'm Not Okay- The whole video- it reminds me of my life...

Okay, now I'm rambling. And I'm sure that this sounds a little mellodramatic coming from a 14 year old....but it's the truth.The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
Incognito.
Bleeding on the Floor
Incognito.
March 25th, 2009 at 11:39pm
angels_of_unknown_99:
MCR saved MY life. Well... not physically, but I just went through some awful shit and I hated myself and wished I was dead.
I am not going to say that I was actually going to kill myself. I wasn't. I was just never happy with myself, and I kind of "rediscovered" the impact of My Chem's lyrics and how they actually do soothe my soul (my friend laughed at me when I said that).
Like Gerard said, "If for one minute you think you're better than a sixteen year old girl in a Green Day t-shirt, you are sorely mistaken. Remember the first time you went to a show and saw your favorite band. You wore their shirt, and sang every word. You didn't know anything about scene politics, haircuts, or what was cool. All you knew was that this music made you feel different from anyone you shared a locker with. Someone finally understood you. This is what music is about.." That's pretty much how I feel. Like they understand me and wrote every word just for me, and that makes me feel like someone out there actually cares about me.

I completely agree with you!

like I never really was super suicidle but if it wasn't for those guys I wouldn't be the same person I am now.
You either get it or you don't.
most people on this site get it, that's one thing I love about it. mcr have made an impact on not just one or two people but on thousands!
I owe myself to them and will be forever grateful of what they saved me from
angels_of_unknown_99
Killjoy
angels_of_unknown_99
March 26th, 2009 at 06:20pm
^I like what you said about if it wasn't for MCR you wouldn't be the same person you are now... it's that way for me too.
jay!
Bleeding on the Floor
jay!
April 7th, 2009 at 09:17am
I believe that for some people they may save lives.

They haven't personally done that for me, but that have made it a whole lot better than what it used to be.
made from neon
Salute You in Your Grave
made from neon
April 7th, 2009 at 02:39pm
Well, I believe so, not that they bust in your door and save you from a burning building, but more like if you're feeling worthless and you want to kill yourself or what have you, then My Chem is there with often inspirational messages, you know? Like, I know that when I was like that not too long ago, hearing them made me feel as if i had a purpose on the earth; if nothing else, I was here to be a fan of this band. So yeah, they do save lives. Plus as Gerard says, "Pissing away your life on suicide is fucking bullshit!" And you know that he's been there and he knows what it's like, so you know that he has experience with it and they all were there so it's... aaaahhh I can't explain it. xD
YourIcyBlues
Killjoy
YourIcyBlues
April 10th, 2009 at 05:01pm
MCR saved my life. I used to be so suicidal;
Once I got out of class to go to the bathroom and i brought the scisors with me. I locked myself in the cubicle and i cut my writs again and again, when I drew blood i stopped. i had this crazy rush but i stopped. i thought of all the things Gerard has said. All of his quotes. If i killed myself, I'd be giving in to all my haters. I thought of thier lyrics. Thier songs gave me hope and i dropped the scisors, thinking of what to do and how to get out of that s*&@. He once said something about 'no matter how bad i used to feel, i had hope. There will always be 5 guys who feel as bad as you do. I almost killed myself once"
I decided to pretend to everyone I was okay, i wasn't but still... MCR have taught me to stay alive, no matter how hard the fight. I still feel depressed but I'm beggining to feel a bit better. Once my mum stole all my notebooks and read them out to me. She interpreted them the wrong way. Those were written in my darkest, worst times. She took MCR away, all the CDs and my iPod. Now, 6 months later, I'm gonna ask for them back and prove I'm almost better. She doesn't understand how happy they make me feel. Never Will.
*sigh* Not even my closest friends do. They don't believe how sad I feel. I have to pretend I'm happy. They hate MCR. They don't believe that they saved my life. MCR are like a life support machine sometimes. All i got. They felt Just.Like.Me
a touch of anarchy.
Shotgun Sinner
a touch of anarchy.
April 10th, 2009 at 05:47pm
For me, yes, in a way. They inspired me to stop cutting myself, to stop hurting myself. The lyrics:
I am not afraid to keep on living, I am not afraid to walk this world alone... and

Do or die, you'll never make me
Because the world will never take my heart
Go and try, you'll never break me
We want it all, we wanna play this part
I won't explain or say I'm sorry
I'm unashamed, I'm gonna show my scar
Give a cheer for all the broken
Listen here, because it's who we are
I'm just a man, I'm not a hero
Just a boy, who had to sing this song
I'm just a man, I'm not a hero
I! don't! care!
really fucking inspired me.

Yes, I still slip up, and yes, I do sometimes feel depressed, but I know that with the inspiration they have given me, I'll do. it. I can make it, even though I can't picture myself at 16. I will be there, and I'll be stronger than ever.

And I never could do it without their help.
frankiero-luan
Killjoy
frankiero-luan
April 12th, 2009 at 08:22am
well no one can make u kill ur self and no one can save ur life so that just imagination or insane people think that
believing.
Salute You in Your Grave
believing.
April 12th, 2009 at 09:31am
angels_of_unknown_99:
^I like what you said about if it wasn't for MCR you wouldn't be the same person you are now... it's that way for me too.

Yeah, that's true. MCR has saved lives through their music and lyrics, and mine too. I had to move because at my old school, I was shunned and hated by all the other kids for being gay. Some guys actually beat me up a few times, until my best friend had the nerves to tell the principal. So, it wasn't so big until the day when someone spray painted the words "Ryan is a fucking fag" all over the front of the school entrance. It was so horrible, and all I wantd to do was crawl into a hole and die. I even comtemplated suicide, but that was just stupid.
Then, I found MCR, and well, they really saved me from myself. Without them, I would've never had the courage to stand up to those people. So, from that day onwards, I was never ashamed to be who I am.

All thanks to My Chemical Romance.

<3
MyOwnBlood
Killjoy
MyOwnBlood
April 12th, 2009 at 04:13pm
"Does My Chemical Romance really Save Lives?"

OF COURSE THEY DO!!!!

* what a question! * Rolling Eyes
fawkes
Bleeding on the Floor
fawkes
April 20th, 2009 at 02:09am
Music in general saved my life. I've felt really depressed before, and there is one song that really made me feel better when I was considering suicide. It wasn't by MCR, but their music makes me feel better too. There's something about music that relaxes me. Just the rhythm and the beat keeps me going, and the lyrics too of course. "Famous Last Words" would probably be the MCR song that helped me most because the lyrics are amazing.
Muerte Poetica
Jazz Hands
Muerte Poetica
April 22nd, 2009 at 03:44pm
I don't want to sound stupid so I never say it but, I suppose they did.
To cut a loooong story short, my ''friends'' avoided me like I was diseased.
It got too much so I just sorta ignored everyone and I would draw in my note
book every break at school. I started to listen to music more often, MyChem
more often. Listening to them made me feel more confident about myself
and my situation so I started trying to make new friends. I found a girl that
liked MyChem too and we made a giant MCR/Green Day colage book. We
looked through it sometimes. I eventualy made friends with my ''made my life
hell'' friend and I just carried on like before. So for me, it wasn't the lyrics, it
was just the feeling that someone out there was in a worse position than me.

~Kate xoxo
Khaos-X-Revolution
Killjoy
Khaos-X-Revolution
February 6th, 2011 at 04:46pm
I don't really think it's just "saving lives". They change people's perceptions on the world and in a sense, give them hope even when it seems society is just crumbling apart. I think that's truly important.
pitchforkred
Killjoy
pitchforkred
April 5th, 2011 at 12:46pm
Not to take anyones shit
summertime
Fabulous Killjoy
summertime
April 8th, 2011 at 02:20pm
I don't know what is about MCR, but since I've been listening to them it's kinda given me something to cling to. If things are going shit, I can put my earphones in and just forget the world. And I get a lot of what they say and the emotions they show. They're just make me feel better, and I can't explain it. Smile
I used to think that it was weird to get so obsessed with a band, but I totally understand now. A lot of people who are in a dark place can connect with them.