Don't have an account? Create one!

Does My Chemical Romance really Save Lives?

AuthorMessage
Luisa-
Killjoy
Luisa-
April 7th, 2008 at 11:53am
I Wouldn't say Mcr saved my life. and i understand that in whatever way you may feel that they did. And thats fine by me (Y)
but i agree with x-InAHailOfBullets ^^ above
mcr just makes me feel a whole lot better about myself. and i wouldn't say they tottally made my life so much more worth living. because i was fine before i started listening to them , but im so much better now i have started listening to them.even my parents have noticed! their music inproves my mood or makes me feel better if i'v had an argument or whatever.
thats all Smile
Holly Way
Jazz Hands
Holly Way
April 7th, 2008 at 07:37pm
i think that it is all in the head, mcr is moving and they can make people find the best in themselves and let others know that there are people out there just like them that felt the same way and got through it so if they can soo can u
drink ourselves dry.
Crash Queen
drink ourselves dry.
April 8th, 2008 at 12:49am
Luisa-:
I Wouldn't say Mcr saved my life. and i understand that in whatever way you may feel that they did. And thats fine by me (Y)
but i agree with x-InAHailOfBullets ^^ above
mcr just makes me feel a whole lot better about myself. and i wouldn't say they tottally made my life so much more worth living. because i was fine before i started listening to them , but im so much better now i have started listening to them.even my parents have noticed! their music inproves my mood or makes me feel better if i'v had an argument or whatever.
thats all Smile

Thanks for agreeing with me.
And I agree with you. =)
Switchblade Saint
Salute You in Your Grave
Switchblade Saint
April 8th, 2008 at 02:48am
Reading this thread just made me want to cry (in a touched way) because of the positive huge impact Mychem has had on so many of u. And now that I think about it they're not just a band to me anymore. their words & their songs have become practically a philosophy to live by. whenever i feel depressed and want to destroy smthing -- including myself -- smthing that the band has said or sung holds me back.

i've said the above so many times here on INO, but i dont mind saying it again. And anything that holds you back from hurting yourself or condemning urself for failure or giving u the courage to fight for whatever it is u believe in...that is indeed smthing that saves ur life. Maybe not in a direct manner, maybe not with an immediately noticeable result, but in small miraculous ways. Because i think we all agree that MCR improves the quality of life. MCR lends something awesome to life and even gives new meanig to so many aspects of it. Non-fans may roll their eyes at this..... but only if they've never been into any other band that did smthg good for them.

Anyone, fan or not, whose life has been improved by music.... would agree.
cyanide1316
Bleeding on the Floor
cyanide1316
April 12th, 2008 at 12:21pm
mcr saved my life.
last year they saved it repeatedly.
when you have no friends, your parents ignore you, youre failing all your classes, and basically your whole world is going to shit and you just dont want to live anymore, something little like my chem can make all the difference in the world
they made me feel like i want going through it all alone
that despite what was going on i couild escape into their music
and their music gave me the strength to get up every day and keep going
i know without them, i wouldnt be here writing this right now
The music.
Salute You in Your Grave
The music.
September 17th, 2008 at 02:13am
Their music can open you're eyes. Sorta like show you its wrong and can inspire you to change and in a way can help you stay put. Even their words are helpful to those. Its just something you could relate to in times and it helps alot.
spookcookie
Killjoy
spookcookie
October 9th, 2008 at 01:01pm
hell yeah! they make me feel not so alone, like theres at least 5 people in the world who truly understand. I feel suicidal often. they help me a little.
AdamLambert
Really Not Okay
AdamLambert
October 11th, 2008 at 03:28am
I dont think theyve saved my life.

They make me feel a helluva lot better about myself and lift me up when im down but i dont think if i hadnt discovered them i would have taken my life i just woulda been one depressed little girl who felt theres no one to turn to Smile
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
October 11th, 2008 at 06:20am

No.

My Chemical Romance has saved my life.
Why has that term become so common?
It seems like every fan has to say it to be a true fan.
I think that because Gerard and Frank (off of the top of my head) have shown a positive response to that term, so many people are saying it now.
But frankly I think that it just isn't true.
People are so confused on what it actually means.
Was My Chemical Romance saving, or were they influencing?
That I agree with. My Chem has influenced my a whole lot.
But have they actually come and taken the pills away?
No.
You did that.

And people get so upset that stuff like The Daily Mail blames My Chem for suicides.
Following the your expression, if they can 'save' people, they can certainly destroy them too... don't you think?

And if people say "MCR is my anti-depressant!"
You aren't really depressed at all then are you?

And what if they break-up?
By the amount of people saying that they saved their lives, is there going to be a huge increase in suicides?

Now, I'm a huge fan and think they are great role models and positive influence, but that is all they do. Influence.

They do not save lives.
AdamLambert
Really Not Okay
AdamLambert
October 11th, 2008 at 08:22am
^
I agree with you %100 Smile
BulletsLoveRevenge
Killjoy
BulletsLoveRevenge
October 12th, 2008 at 09:15am
Honesly, they did save my life.
I mean I was going through some stuff at school and at home and I tought there was nothing for me in this world. But then I was becoming a fan of MCR and I started really listening to the lyrics, and it made me rethink everything.
People say that everyone lies when they say "My Chemical Romance saved my life" and I actually think alot of people are lying. Its just, they have saved alot of peoples lives.
Music has saved me
MCR has saved me. and lots of other people.
BulletsLoveRevenge
Killjoy
BulletsLoveRevenge
October 12th, 2008 at 09:15am
Honesly, they did save my life.
I mean I was going through some stuff at school and at home and I tought there was nothing for me in this world. But then I was becoming a fan of MCR and I started really listening to the lyrics, and it made me rethink everything.
People say that everyone lies when they say "My Chemical Romance saved my life" and I actually think alot of people are lying. Its just, they have saved alot of peoples lives.
Music has saved me
MCR has saved me. and lots of other people.
BulletsLoveRevenge
Killjoy
BulletsLoveRevenge
October 12th, 2008 at 09:16am
whoops double post
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
October 12th, 2008 at 10:27am
^ I have said this before; whatever gets someone through the day is alright by me - I'm not here to judge that or pick it apart. People have been known to say that Jesus saved their lives too, yet he's not even here in physical form, so...

The Daily Mail is alarmist, and it's a respected newspaper in England. Its journalists should be held accountable for accuracy, and they clearly are not. They present self-harm as a stoppable external force, rather than a mental illness in need of treatment by a qualified doctor, and do little to discourage the alienation of children by their peers if they fit a certain stereotype - a mere year after the brutal murder of Sophie Lancaster.

The band embraces the philosophy because music has helped them through their own rough times, and they don't want to lose any kids, so if their fans are able to see light at the end of the tunnel through their songs, they are psyched about that.

I say live and let live. If a person credits something with helping them to cross a plateau in their lives, we should all cheer for them, not seek right away to explain to them why they're wrong, potentially hurling them into a negative state once again.
suicideblonde
Killjoy
suicideblonde
October 12th, 2008 at 11:42am
I think that knowing other people are going throught the same things you are is actually more influential that MyChem themselves. They've created this huge network of fans who can reach out and talk to each other, because theyre united by the music. Personally its given me a snse of security knowing that other people are dealing with stuff too and are getting thrpough it.

Basically what im saying, is for me, its other fans like you guys that can give people strength. The sense of community and belonginmg is more positve than any one song on its owm or any one band members story.
Bartowski.
Demolition Lover
Bartowski.
October 12th, 2008 at 09:35pm
Hmmmm.
Well, My Chem didn't save my life. The music helped me find what I had in me all along that I needed to save myself.

One night I remember very well was when I was very depressed over what was becoming a mentally abusive relationship where he took and gave me nothing in a sense. So, I was listening to the release of the I Don't Love You video, and after the tenth time or so, I felt like I had been hit with a large rock. This guy was a "good-for-nothing" I didn't really know, and he wouldn't even tell me he didn't love me, he would string me along. And that's when I got up, and ripped all his little love notes into tiny pieces and threw them out the window.

I had it in me all along, I just needed that push to find it. And that's what music's for. To help you find what you've had in yourself all along.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
October 13th, 2008 at 12:40am
Deb:
^ I have said this before; whatever gets someone through the day is alright by me - I'm not here to judge that or pick it apart. People have been known to say that Jesus saved their lives too, yet he's not even here in physical form, so...

The Daily Mail is alarmist, and it's a respected newspaper in England. Its journalists should be held accountable for accuracy, and they clearly are not. They present self-harm as a stoppable external force, rather than a mental illness in need of treatment by a qualified doctor, and do little to discourage the alienation of children by their peers if they fit a certain stereotype - a mere year after the brutal murder of Sophie Lancaster.

The band embraces the philosophy because music has helped them through their own rough times, and they don't want to lose any kids, so if their fans are able to see light at the end of the tunnel through their songs, they are psyched about that.

I say live and let live. If a person credits something with helping them to cross a plateau in their lives, we should all cheer for them, not seek right away to explain to them why they're wrong, potentially hurling them into a negative state once again.

I totally understand what you are saying.
I just want to point out that much of my post I do not agree with. I was being the devils advocate.
I still think that they don't save lives, but who am I to judge when it's had such a positive impact.
I still don't agree with the statement, but I'm not going to tell people that they are wrong.

But it's still up to who really means the phrase.
People who sincerely mean it, or people who want to be true fans.
jared leto.
Awake and Unafraid
jared leto.
October 13th, 2008 at 12:53am
The thing is though, the phrase is so overused.
I know they have helped me keep on living multiple times.
But I have seen so many people say
"MCR SAVED MAH LIFFE!1!!" and have no reasoning behind it and they just wanna fit in.

I know I have said "MCR saved me" before I heard anyone else say it and before I watched LOTMS.

I know it will be indirectly if MCR really did save your life, because MCR didnt come and take the gun from your head.
Vampire Cat
Killjoy
Vampire Cat
October 13th, 2008 at 02:59am
Umm, very interesting question this one.
Common sense tells me no...........how can a band save the life of someone contemplating ending it all. However, the more I think about it and the more I read about it, I'm beginning to believe these guys do literally save some peoples lives. The reason I'm changing my mind about it is because of the effect MCR have had on me. Fortunately, I've never been at the point in my life where I've needed it saving, but I have had other issues that I really feel MCR have helped me deal with. Don't want to go into detail about what those issues were but I've had these issues for years and not even my family have been able to help me with them. I honestly believe it's MCR that have helped me turn the corner. Don't know what it is, whether it's the music, whether it's what the guys have had to deal with in their own lives, whether it's their wonderful quotes, something just draws you to them. I don't mean just listening to the odd song either.I listen to them almost constantly and they just make me feel so happy all the time. Honestly I'm like a different person, so wrapped up in them it's scary, but in a nice way. Now I've been around a long time and music's always been a big part of my life but no other band has ever had this effect on me before.
So, in answer to the question. Yes, I do believe that this band saves lives, and in more ways than one.
Slightly off topic, and just as a footnote, the MCR fans are amazing too. I've never seen such a devoted bunch of fans. You are all wonderful.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
October 13th, 2008 at 09:52am
gustav schafer.:
The thing is though, the phrase is so overused. I have seen so many people say "MCR SAVED MAH LIFFE!1!!" and have no reasoning behind it and they just wanna fit in.
But that doesn't make the statement any less meaningful to the person for whom it is actually true - simply because someone else is jumping onto a bandwagon in order to sound cool, you know?