Don't have an account? Create one!

What was your first impression of MCR?

AuthorMessage
ShatteringFast
Killjoy
ShatteringFast
June 12th, 2011 at 08:31pm
The first time I heard of them was when my sister went to see them at a show back in 2004. My sister went to see them perform a show or something. This was before they released Three Cheers. Didn't think much of them.

Then 'I'm Not Okay' hit the airwaves. I hated it. Never wanted anything to do with the band. Fast-forward a few years and I heard 'Welcome To The Black Parade'. Hated it. This band had to suck...they just had to.

Anyway, one day my sister picked me up from school. She said, "Guess what I got!? The new MCR record!" So she put it in and I was taken aback by 'The End.' Next, 'Dead' kicked in and it wasn't so bad. Much better than the singles I heard. Then, 'This Is How I Disappear' commenced and I was like, "fuck."

'The Sharpest Lives' followed and I was intrigued. Clearly, I needed a copy of this album. I scanned it into the computer when I got home and burned it. Crud, I was dead wrong about this band. I loved the entire album. It was ambitiously executed, something today's mainstream rock acts usually lack. I checked out portions of Three Cheers, and sorta fell off after that.

At the time, I was a massive Linkin Park fan. I've long since outgrew them. Anyway, LP was coming to the NYS Fair for Projekt Revolution. MCR was opening, and I'm like, 'I gotta go!!' I was broke at the time, and nobody would take me. My last resort was a Best Buy ad, where I could follow a link to enter for a chance to win tickets. Skeptical, I entered. No way I'd win.

I won, somehow. Two tickets. So me and my sister got nosebleed seats to the show. Still worth it, though.

We were walking around the fair during the Revolution Stage segment, and got a pretzel. I caught a gigantic fro from the corner of my eye. I nudged my sister and we ran after the hair. It was Ray, Frank and Bob walking around, just having some fun. They were headed towards the aquarium building where I later discovered that Linkin Park was hanging out.

Frank & Bob sorta glanced at us and kept walking, but Ray was so nice. He turned back around and came up to us. My sister was speechless, then Ray smiled, put his arm around her and said, 'C'mon, quick! Take a picture!"

That night, MCR completely upstaged Linkin Park. I couldn't believe how good they were live. They are far from my favorite band, but I attained a new-found respect for them that night. I learned not to judge a band from its singles, as they are not always representative of their total sound. I still despise I'm Not Okay to no end, but every other song of theirs has pretty much grown on me.

I'm a member of many musical artist communities, and I sure as hell defend them when I need to. Many misconceptions are tossed about regarding My Chem, and the music I usually listen to often caters to snobby & unruly elitist fans. I'm the regulator. Laughing

Favorite songs are 'This Is How I Disappear' and 'The Jetset Life Is Gonna Kill You'. Smile
MCRfangirl15
Killjoy
MCRfangirl15
June 13th, 2011 at 01:36pm
My friend had me listen to "Dead!" and I was like "Okay. Not bad. What do these guys look like?" He says "They look totally awesome. You'll love their looks since you're totally into the zombie, death, dark type stuff." One day I find a picture of them and my reaction was "OH MY GOD! These guys are hot and they sound awesome! I am obsessed!" Very Happy
blubb
Killjoy
blubb
June 15th, 2011 at 05:15am
I had heard pretty much every music video-song before actually getting into them as a band. 'Cause you know, My Chemical Romance is one of those bands that you have to have heard of. I LOVED Welcome to the black parade and I thought the music video was so cool, but I was kinda scared of liking them because they were supposed to be 'emo'. (i definitly don't think so anymore)
After hearing Na Na, I fell in love with the band. I looked them up and started watching interviews with them and for the longest time, I thought Gerard and Frank were brothers. x.x they kinda look alike and... i dunno. >.<
Stand By Ure Beliefs
Fabulous Killjoy
Stand By Ure Beliefs
June 17th, 2011 at 04:26pm
I was about 9 or 10 and no-one had really introduced me to rock or punk music etc. What I knew was what was on the mainstream radio and I hated it. Everyone asked me how I could hate music but I could never answer them> Ithink it was my cousin that was playing Our Lady Of Sorrows when I went to his and I was all like so this is music? This is awsome!Very Happy So ya my first impression was a good one.
ScarletCalavera
Killjoy
ScarletCalavera
June 20th, 2011 at 05:30am
I think the year was 2007. Yes, you read it correctly. 2007. Smile I was a total metalhead, my favourite bands were Nightwish, Cradle of Filth, Children of Bodom, Therion... Extreme and operatic metal were my thing. Then my taste suddenly softened and I started listening to today's romantic goths like HIM, the 69 Eyes and Rasmus. I met many people online, mostly on creative writing communities and thought: ''What is this MCR they keep mentioning to me?'' Luckily, there was youtube. My first impression was: ''Hey, look. People dancing at a funeral. This is like some surreal theatre, what a great idea.'' So I got my hands on their albums and I really liked them. But how does one go from Cradle of Filth to MCR? That's the eternal mistery. My friends say I'm growing down instead of growing up.
thekill
Killjoy
thekill
June 30th, 2011 at 02:38pm
they played teenagers in a school assembly, i remember laughing when i heard them sing shit. i really really wish i could remember what i thought of the song. many years later saw the song on the back of welcome to the black parade and wondered if it was the same so i borrowed it off of my mate. been in love with mcr ever since and have listened to the black parade more than the friend i borrowed the album off!!
ShotgunSinner123
Killjoy
ShotgunSinner123
July 7th, 2011 at 05:25am
For me, they took a tiny bit of getting used to - I first heard Helena in 2005, and then sought out Three Cheers to listen to the rest - I liked it, but didn't love it, but then slowly over the year as I listened to it more I liked it more and more, and then that love formed into a dangerous and long term obsession which remains today hehe >=]
CyanideNarc
Killjoy
CyanideNarc
July 12th, 2011 at 06:20am
I can't even remember what was the first sing that I heard but I found out about MCR a little before Welcome To The Black Parade cam out. Honestly, i liked the band first because Gerard is so freakin hot (true true!). Then I started listening to the songs and I found out hey, their songs are great! I first thought that they were emo but ... yeah. I was proven wrong. Huhu, now I remember everything I did because of this band Cry
FlatlineFlava
Fabulous Killjoy
FlatlineFlava
August 25th, 2011 at 10:07am
first time I ever-EVER saw and heard them... my heart was beating like crazy thinkin' "Oh my god, they're..they're AWESOME!!!!!" since then I have been falling deeper and deeper in love In Love In Love
I've always been a little emo and/or goth (plus light ADHD) so I immediately thought they were awesome