Don't have an account? Create one!

Voice.

AuthorMessage
linerlover
Killjoy
linerlover
May 7th, 2008 at 03:37pm
City Lights.:
Now I'd like to request a little help... please?
Anything to do with actions.
I have a performance coming up on Thursday, and I'm a little wary as to
what actions I should you to accentuate the words,
and make the song into a full story..
And express the emotion in it, and whatnot.
Anything?

which song you doing?
i do a lot of performing at concerts, etc. and my singing teacher just says do what feels right. if it's a sad part, look sad-- hunch your shoulders slightly, although not enough to change the sound of your voice, and maybe scuff your toes a little. in a happy part, gesture around, look the audience in the eyes and grin, if you can.
basically, try to incorporate your own character into it-- your own emotions and movements, and see how it goes.
if you get any problems with nerves while you're performing, find a spot to look at behind the audience, say, a clock or empty seat, and look there until you feel confident enough to look up again.
City Lights.
Salute You in Your Grave
City Lights.
May 7th, 2008 at 09:31pm
Thanks.
It's called "Out Of My Dreams", from Oklahoma!.
Short, but sweet song... basically about love.
I'm just very awkward with movements.
Mostly hesitant.
linerlover
Killjoy
linerlover
May 11th, 2008 at 01:15pm
City Lights.:
Thanks.
It's called "Out Of My Dreams", from Oklahoma!.
Short, but sweet song... basically about love.
I'm just very awkward with movements.
Mostly hesitant.

ahh okay. its a good song as long as your voice suits it, but anyway. i suggest maybe a kind of gentle swaying, always try to keep eye contact with the audience for this song in particular. basically, do a proud look-- shoulders back, head high, the occasional arm gesture for emphasis. this is one of those problem songs that you cant really move to, so do what you can, and at all costs avoid fidgeting. it needs a lot of facial expression rather than body movements.
alaska 5000
Tragic With a Capital T
alaska 5000
May 16th, 2008 at 06:37pm
right so there's this talent thing at school going on and i want to put my name down for you.
...but i want to make sure i'm at least half good before auditioning. D:
so i really need advice.
(i'll probably be singing that song, either that or feeling good or never gonna give you up)

i have no way of getting lessons, i'm going to try and put acting to it but i want to make sure that i'm at least half decent at singing it before i think about doing that. i just really need tips on how to sing better. D:

and how to make my voice stronger apart from nicking inhalers /badhabit
City Lights.
Salute You in Your Grave
City Lights.
May 17th, 2008 at 10:19am
Thanks so much for the advice.
I didn't place, and it was because of the facial expressions,
but I've always been bad at those, no matter how hard I practice.
But, I had 86 out of 100, so I did okay.

iantowned-
supportsupportsupport.
In my whole career of singing, I will NOT stop saying that.
Just firm support in your stomach, and control how much breath you let out.
That's the main thing you need to do... trust me.
Once that clicks, everything else will fall into place.
And you don't have to do over the top acting with it... you can do some, but make sure you put "color"
in the words you're singing; the vibrancy and animation that the song needs is in the way you sing and portray the song.
Emoishboy
Killjoy
Emoishboy
May 18th, 2008 at 03:08pm
Although, the whole support thing depends on what kind of vocals you're looking for...
if you're looking for hoarse, raw singing, then it may not be something you worry about.

Screaming, though, it's definitely an issue. If you're not careful, and you let too much air out at once, you can hurt your vocal cords.
Yeah, this is mainly a singing thread, I know, but I thought I'd throw that in there.

Anyway, I'm a guitarist, and I sing... and scream.
I'm a vocalist for two bands... on in which I'm also lead guitar, and one in which I sometimes play rhythm guitar.
I enjoy raw vocals... similar to the first MCR album and Bullet For My Valentine.
rukan
Killjoy
rukan
May 19th, 2008 at 04:36pm
I sing. I've been trained since I was eight years old. I love it. It's my passion.

I mainly do art songs, but I love to try out new things, like I love opera and I want to be able to sing like.

idk whats it called, like contemporary?? haha idk
like. sing in a band.

but i don't think i'm good enough.
rukan
Killjoy
rukan
May 19th, 2008 at 04:42pm
heteros go home!:
right so there's this talent thing at school going on and i want to put my name down for you.
...but i want to make sure i'm at least half good before auditioning. D:
so i really need advice.
(i'll probably be singing that song, either that or feeling good or never gonna give you up)

i have no way of getting lessons, i'm going to try and put acting to it but i want to make sure that i'm at least half decent at singing it before i think about doing that. i just really need tips on how to sing better. D:

and how to make my voice stronger apart from nicking inhalers /badhabit

It sounds good, but one thing I really noticed is that you need better breath support. Like someone earlier said, breath support is key.
Your voice has no resonance, however, it looked like you were sitting down and that could be a problem. I'd really try standing up straight, and try to keep your head more level because that will help.

Good luck on auditioning! :]
City Lights.
Salute You in Your Grave
City Lights.
May 31st, 2008 at 10:25pm
Good luck to anyone that has anything going on, singing-wise.
I just had a recital and vocal competition, and did well in both.
A little yay on my part.
But now, I have to tackle this!
AKA- high note at the end.

I know the basics.
Any tips as to making my performance more eye-widening?
anthony green.
In The Murder Scene
anthony green.
June 8th, 2008 at 05:57pm

me singing a song i wrote.
tbh i don't think i'm much of a singer :/
but i'd like tips on how to be better :]
Black Presicion
Killjoy
Black Presicion
June 11th, 2008 at 04:34pm
I thought that was really good! You're a really good singer!

First of all, I really like the topic of your lyrics because I don't see much people write about that at all.
Second, I loved your lyrics and the organization of it and the line, "These bullets were my tears."
Third, you are a talented singer! It sounds like you have a natural vibrato in ur voice, idk if u do or not but either way, you sound really really really good. I envy you! Plus, you're pretty. Mr. Green
Asiah Scott
Joining The Black Parade
Asiah Scott
June 12th, 2008 at 08:34am
I sing really well. I download available karaokes and sing on them and I have even sang in my school concerts. But I wish I could sing like Leona Lewis. She seems to master it all.
Lounge Fly
Bleeding on the Floor
Lounge Fly
June 14th, 2008 at 09:07am
Does anyone know how to improve my ability to move between ranges? I can sing between low baritone and alto, but once I'm in one range I find it really hard to change quickly.
demolitionloversmway
Thinking Happy Thoughts
demolitionloversmway
June 30th, 2008 at 01:44pm
yea ive been singing pretty much since i was ten i guess and ive been audition stuff and voice lessons for the past few years
i do led vocals in a band
its weird cause like i can sing freakn like opera and then i can do genres like rock and whatev and it actually works
misery and harmony
Salute You in Your Grave
misery and harmony
July 2nd, 2008 at 02:05pm
I sing in a church but I can sing rock also..
my fav song to sing..ermm...Avril Lavigne songs I think...Fall to Pieces. Amazing song. And That's what you get by Paramore.
City Lights.
Salute You in Your Grave
City Lights.
July 5th, 2008 at 12:34am
Shadow666:
Does anyone know how to improve my ability to move between ranges? I can sing between low baritone and alto, but once I'm in one range I find it really hard to change quickly.
Practicing scales a lot will held you with that. Do them all the way up the piano, going up semi-tones as well.
That helped me.
Just my thoughts.
City Lights.
Salute You in Your Grave
City Lights.
July 5th, 2008 at 12:35am
demolitionloversmway:
yea ive been singing pretty much since i was ten i guess and ive been audition stuff and voice lessons for the past few years
i do led vocals in a band
its weird cause like i can sing freakn like opera and then i can do genres like rock and whatev and it actually works
That's the exact same thing I do, minus the band.
Nice job! Keep it up!
Famous Living Dead
Fabulous Killjoy
Famous Living Dead
July 8th, 2008 at 09:03am
i sing in a choir, and i've done that for like 10 years now lol. and i looove to sing like mcr, nightwish and paramore. of course mcr is the hardest part to sing cause Gee is a man, and i'm a girl with girly voice lol.
but i love to sing and i do sing all the time Very Happy
Fallenleaf
Killjoy
Fallenleaf
July 8th, 2008 at 02:20pm
I can't play instruments but I can sing very well. I was on my way to my Aunts house. And was sing to songs on the radio everytime a song ended my 3 year old cousing yelled "SING!"
brand new eyes
Always Born a Crime
brand new eyes
July 27th, 2008 at 11:48am
Well, cliche line, but I've been singing pretty much since forever.
In third, fourth, and a part of sixth grade I was in the chorus, but I wasn't really trying.
I didn't try when I'd sing in the car either.
Only two people have really heard me sing, and they were both like, "FTWWHEREDIDTHATCOMEFROM?!"
My mom claims to have heard me sing, but she hasn't, she's heard me whisper to myself with someone I like comes on the radio.
Even though she's my own mother, I'm afraid of rejection, or she won't tell me the truth.
So, at some point I'm going to take a video or have on of my friends take a video for me so you guys can give me the damn truth.
Because my friends are starting to find a band and they're looking for a singer, and I don't want to make a fool out of myself.
I want to know that I have something before I put myself out there.
And if anyone has some warm ups and tips for maintaining, and to improve range, I'd be more than thankful.