Don't have an account? Create one!

Voice.

AuthorMessage
Scarlett O'Hara.
Motor Baby
Scarlett O'Hara.
August 4th, 2008 at 11:32pm
I love to sing and I've been singing for a long time. =]
I take lessons for voice and piano (which I suck at...haha) and I play the flute. I've always love singing though, and I got a 1 at state solo ensemble last year, which was very exciting for me! I have a great vocal teacher who really helped me, most of all with my confidence. I will try to post a vid of me singing soon!

forever terror.:
And if anyone has some warm ups and tips for maintaining, and to improve range, I'd be more than thankful.

I would encourage you to find a good vocal teacher if you can. Lessons really help with vocal quality, range and especially confidence. I know they really helped me.
brand new eyes
Always Born a Crime
brand new eyes
August 7th, 2008 at 07:29pm
Scarlett O'Hara.:

I would encourage you to find a good vocal teacher if you can. Lessons really help with vocal quality, range and especially confidence. I know they really helped me.

how much does it cost?
if i'm able to pay for it myself it won't be a problem, but if it's expensive and my parents have to help me it probably won't happen.
xHILARIAx
Killjoy
xHILARIAx
August 30th, 2008 at 11:33pm
I sing and write a lot of songs for the band i'm currently a part of.
i also play the keyboard
& i am learning guitar.

i try to practice at least two hours a day.

personally i dislike my voice.
(if that came off as modest, it wasn't.)
i rely a lot on stage presence, haha!
xHILARIAx
Killjoy
xHILARIAx
August 30th, 2008 at 11:37pm
linerlover:
City Lights.:
Now I'd like to request a little help... please?
Anything to do with actions.
I have a performance coming up on Thursday, and I'm a little wary as to
what actions I should you to accentuate the words,
and make the song into a full story..
And express the emotion in it, and whatnot.
Anything?

which song you doing?
i do a lot of performing at concerts, etc. and my singing teacher just says do what feels right. if it's a sad part, look sad-- hunch your shoulders slightly, although not enough to change the sound of your voice, and maybe scuff your toes a little. in a happy part, gesture around, look the audience in the eyes and grin, if you can.
basically, try to incorporate your own character into it-- your own emotions and movements, and see how it goes.
if you get any problems with nerves while you're performing, find a spot to look at behind the audience, say, a clock or empty seat, and look there until you feel confident enough to look up again.

definitely.
a lot of people really feel uncomfortable doing this,
but if you look right at people while you're singing (especially at some passive bits)
it makes it way more enjoyable to everyone.
make everyone your close friend.
I do a lot with my arms,
however i don't plan on it.
My boyfriend, the drummer, thinks its hilarious.
He playfully makes fun at the fact I wave my fist around maniacally.

Whatever you end up doing,
make sure it doesn't look staged.

good luck!
xHILARIAx
Killjoy
xHILARIAx
August 30th, 2008 at 11:37pm
linerlover:
City Lights.:
Now I'd like to request a little help... please?
Anything to do with actions.
I have a performance coming up on Thursday, and I'm a little wary as to
what actions I should you to accentuate the words,
and make the song into a full story..
And express the emotion in it, and whatnot.
Anything?

which song you doing?
i do a lot of performing at concerts, etc. and my singing teacher just says do what feels right. if it's a sad part, look sad-- hunch your shoulders slightly, although not enough to change the sound of your voice, and maybe scuff your toes a little. in a happy part, gesture around, look the audience in the eyes and grin, if you can.
basically, try to incorporate your own character into it-- your own emotions and movements, and see how it goes.
if you get any problems with nerves while you're performing, find a spot to look at behind the audience, say, a clock or empty seat, and look there until you feel confident enough to look up again.

definitely.
a lot of people really feel uncomfortable doing this,
but if you look right at people while you're singing (especially at some passive bits)
it makes it way more enjoyable to everyone.
make everyone your close friend.
I do a lot with my arms,
however i don't plan on it.
My boyfriend, the drummer, thinks its hilarious.
He playfully makes fun at the fact I wave my fist around maniacally.

Whatever you end up doing,
make sure it doesn't look staged.

good luck!
Spirit of Jazz.
Motor Baby
Spirit of Jazz.
September 7th, 2008 at 12:53pm
i suck at singing. i took voice lessons for a few years though (against my own will) some of the exercises were really weird. there was one where you had to sing "mee mae ma moe moo" up and down a scale. i hated that one. i can sing in a choir or backup or something, though. i just really don't have a(i don't know what you would call it) lead singer quality voice like gerard does. he's lucky.
City Lights.
Salute You in Your Grave
City Lights.
September 17th, 2008 at 09:07pm
I simply love this thread too much.
I'm torn between "Dolente immagine di Fille mia", and "She's Like A Swallow," so far.
As for Mein Chemikalie, you do have to do some of the weirder excercises to expand your talent/range, but I know how you feel. I do the same thing.
Duchess Knight
Killjoy
Duchess Knight
September 19th, 2008 at 03:37pm
I like to think like this. Everyone can sing, but not all can sing well. I can't sing well. The only real musical quality I have is my guitar, though I am limited with some songs because lets face it, they don't sound that good on an acoustic and I play acoustic, not electric.
brand new eyes
Always Born a Crime
brand new eyes
September 19th, 2008 at 11:57pm
Honestly, I think I could really, really sing for a living.
But I need lessons, for sure.
I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong half the time.
How can I find a vocal coach? Just like, google it or something?
nevergetmealive
Joining The Black Parade
nevergetmealive
September 20th, 2008 at 03:33am
^^^^yeah just goggle it for your area and stuff should come up. Im thinking about getting a singing couch cause i used to sing in a group, but ive never thought i was good (thats not being modest, i actually think i ahve a bad voice). I dont let anyone hear me sing, but when they do catch me singing to myself they say its good, im not sure whether their just being nice friends or they actually think im a good singer. Which makes it hard for me to choose whether to start singing with a couch properly or not, i dont know if ill make a fool of myself, what do you think?
linerlover
Killjoy
linerlover
October 15th, 2008 at 03:00pm
nevergetmealive:
Im thinking about getting a singing couch cause i used to sing in a group, but ive never thought i was good (thats not being modest, i actually think i ahve a bad voice). I dont let anyone hear me sing, but when they do catch me singing to myself they say its good, im not sure whether their just being nice friends or they actually think im a good singer. Which makes it hard for me to choose whether to start singing with a couch properly or not, i dont know if ill make a fool of myself, what do you think?

You won't make a fool of yourself, trust me. If your coach is anywhere near human, they'll realise you may or may not need to work on areas of your voice, and they'll help you with it. If people say you're good, you're probably pretty good, too. And remember, everyone's voice differs. You may think your voice is bad, but others may really like it.

UNDERDOG:

Google them, and if you find anyone decent, call them and set up two or three lessons so they can work out what they'd want to do with you in terms of exercises, etc. If you can't find anyone good using google, try local schools- I take lessons at my school, and my coach is awesome. I've been having lessons with her for 2 years(ish) and she's opened up my voice a lot- my vocal range is over an octave larger. Also, don't be put off if the coach is an opera singer-- they'll sing like that, but you don't have to-- after all, it's the breathing exercises and range improvements that are most important, and who better to teach you that than someone who sings loud, long and out of their comfort zone for a living?
Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
October 21st, 2008 at 03:17pm
how do you practice scream-singing, and
how good at singing do you have to be, or how long do you have to have done it for to start practicing it?
a half-hearted bow.
Killjoy
a half-hearted bow.
October 21st, 2008 at 06:26pm
I sing lead and back-up for my acoustic band, mostly just covers so far of All-American Rejects and Secondhand Serenade, but we're starting to work out a couple of our own.
Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
October 24th, 2008 at 03:01pm
linerlover:
nevergetmealive:
Im thinking about getting a singing couch cause i used to sing in a group, but ive never thought i was good (thats not being modest, i actually think i ahve a bad voice). I dont let anyone hear me sing, but when they do catch me singing to myself they say its good, im not sure whether their just being nice friends or they actually think im a good singer. Which makes it hard for me to choose whether to start singing with a couch properly or not, i dont know if ill make a fool of myself, what do you think?

You won't make a fool of yourself, trust me. If your coach is anywhere near human, they'll realise you may or may not need to work on areas of your voice, and they'll help you with it. If people say you're good, you're probably pretty good, too. And remember, everyone's voice differs. You may think your voice is bad, but others may really like it.

UNDERDOG:

Google them, and if you find anyone decent, call them and set up two or three lessons so they can work out what they'd want to do with you in terms of exercises, etc. If you can't find anyone good using google, try local schools- I take lessons at my school, and my coach is awesome. I've been having lessons with her for 2 years(ish) and she's opened up my voice a lot- my vocal range is over an octave larger. Also, don't be put off if the coach is an opera singer-- they'll sing like that, but you don't have to-- after all, it's the breathing exercises and range improvements that are most important, and who better to teach you that than someone who sings loud, long and out of their comfort zone for a living?

ask your school music teachers for suggestions
Emerald Muerte
Bleeding on the Floor
Emerald Muerte
October 25th, 2008 at 05:49am
Darkromance:
how do you practice scream-singing, and
how good at singing do you have to be, or how long do you have to have done it for to start practicing it?

I want to do this. It does take a while depending what your voice is like naturally [e.g if it's 'husky' you might find screaming easier.] I've been told using honey or steam when singing can help you develop a good scream. It's very hard though. There's more stuff in this thread

Also does anyone have any tips on breath control? I'm finding it a little hard to hold really long notes.
middaydelusion5
Killjoy
middaydelusion5
January 22nd, 2010 at 08:45pm
I sing.....this is an "example".....but i was pretty sick when i recorded this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7nR10TgfeA

any tips on how to sound better?