Don't have an account? Create one!

Voice.

AuthorMessage
lyrical_mess
Joining The Black Parade
lyrical_mess
May 12th, 2007 at 02:01am
Oh, um. I read this manga once called Dragon Voice about singers. So the author put in a little note when the character goes to get singing lessons.

Open your mouth as wide as you possibly can, stick out your tongue until you can feel your throat is open. The way you would when you go to the doctor.

And then sing open notes. It helps the sound resonate in your body, so I guess it improves projection and stregthens the voice a lot. Just let it rip as loud as you can.
XxDead DivaxX
Bleeding on the Floor
XxDead DivaxX
May 12th, 2007 at 09:55am
Well I sing and I play guitar, harmonica, piano (sorta), and a lil bit of drums. Can you please tell me how I can start learning bass? I really want to learn!!!!!!!!!!!!

Every hour.
On the hour.
They. Drew. Blood.
morgan in the dust.
Bleeding on the Floor
morgan in the dust.
May 12th, 2007 at 11:31am
Ruby Gloom:
Well I sing and I play guitar, harmonica, piano (sorta), and a lil bit of drums. Can you please tell me how I can start learning bass? I really want to learn!!!!!!!!!!!!

No mean to be rude, but that does fall under the bass forum which is here. =]
morgan in the dust.
Bleeding on the Floor
morgan in the dust.
May 12th, 2007 at 11:34am
Whisper:
I really like singing, but
I donĀ“t have guts to sing to the aundience
How can I get out of my terrible stage fright?

Well, if you [and honestly this works] just think about the song and stare straith out at those people and know you're going to do good, you most likely will just get lost in the song.
If that doesn't help, there are usually stage lights and they blur out the crowd so you can't see them and that usually helps me.
XxDead DivaxX
Bleeding on the Floor
XxDead DivaxX
May 12th, 2007 at 02:19pm
oh....Oops sorry!
GhouliaYelps
Jazz Hands
GhouliaYelps
May 13th, 2007 at 04:19am
well i have just a little more advice on projection and voice technique.

when you sing as someone mentioned open your mouth as wide a possible, you should feel your soft palate ( the soft part of your mouth at the back) raise up. this will make sure you get a good tone and no nasally sounds.
with projection, yes more air, but also place your voice on to your hard palate ( the hard part at the front of your mouth) i know this is kind of a weird concept to grasp but it helps you get good tone. then think your voice on to the back wall of wherever your performing. it helps, believe me.

sorry for ranting. hope this helps someone!
sherlock!
Crash Queen
sherlock!
May 13th, 2007 at 09:30am
I sing... that's all there is to it...

I play piano, but VEEERRYYY poorly.

LOL
ShirleyC
Killjoy
ShirleyC
May 13th, 2007 at 06:17pm
I sing! I also play guitar but i am a beginner so i am not very good at that yet.
But i guess i am a pretty average singer.
XVampireX
Joining The Black Parade
XVampireX
May 13th, 2007 at 06:58pm
i sing, play bass, play guitar and play piano.
im not great at singing but im okay.
Liquid Lust
Salute You in Your Grave
Liquid Lust
May 19th, 2007 at 09:59am
I'm lead singer in my band but have problems with high notes anyone got tips?
purveyors of dreams.
Salute You in Your Grave
purveyors of dreams.
May 19th, 2007 at 10:11am
If it's possible, when you're just about to reach high notes, take a deep proper breath and then tuck your stomach in when you're singing it. My choir instructor says to, 'think high' and lift your upper pallete.

Practice helps a lot too, of course. (:
abbey road.
Salute You in Your Grave
abbey road.
May 19th, 2007 at 08:34pm
I love singing.
Except when I have to sing soprano.
I suck at that.
But my choir teacher is a bit loony, and thinks I'm good at it.
Disgust
Liquid Lust
Salute You in Your Grave
Liquid Lust
May 20th, 2007 at 05:29am
Thanks Jane
Khrist
Banned
Khrist
May 20th, 2007 at 10:17am
Yeah, I sing. I inherited a good voice from my mom. I was in a choir for a while but it wasn't really my type of music... so anyway, yeah I have a kareoke machine! IT's my favorite thing next to my piano, keyboard, guitar, acoustic guitar, and bass Razz Oh and my dog. My dog is kick ass.
Belle! At The Disco
Salute You in Your Grave
Belle! At The Disco
May 21st, 2007 at 07:10pm
Weird question but...

How do you go all...screamo? Embarassed

My friends want me in this band,
and they say I have the "look" and my voice is kinda the thing that they are looking for,
But they just need me to scream.

How would I do that?..
Without sounding like I'm dying? xD
We All Fall Down
Fabulous Killjoy
We All Fall Down
May 21st, 2007 at 11:03pm
^ I've always wondered about that...

And wow this thread is really helpful! I was in choir when I was younger, but now that I have to take Latin (ftl), I don't have time for it anymore. I've been told I have a unique voice, but because I haven't been singing recently I'm rusty.
Does anyone have suggestions on warm-ups and general practice?
Belle! At The Disco
Salute You in Your Grave
Belle! At The Disco
May 22nd, 2007 at 11:49pm
Ummm...Voice exercise thingys...
Hmmm....
Do that
"La La La La La La La." Thingy (sorry i dont remember what its called)
But its the one were you start off at like, a low note, and gradually get higer. then go lower again.

Ummmm...Or just basically sing...songs or something?
(sorry I'm not much help at the moment,
my mom isn't here and she is the singer of the family.
Was in a band since she was 5 and grew up famous lol... but sadly she's not anymore Sad)

Dance.To.This.Beat.:

Anyone...PWEASEEEEEE Crying or Very sad
Dramione
Jazz Hands
Dramione
May 25th, 2007 at 07:09am
I am doing a course with my school where at the end of the year i get an exam and it goes towards my VCE (end of high school certificate) I have to perform infront of 500 once and 1000 once.

I'm shit scared but excited also.
If you sing, try to learn piano chords, you can play along with just about any song that has been produced.
Oxycontin Genocide.
Banned
Oxycontin Genocide.
May 25th, 2007 at 06:48pm
Dance.To.This.Beat.:
Weird question but...

and they say I have the "look" and my voice is kinda the thing that they are looking for,

How would I do that?..

Well, do you mean like punk screaming, screamo screaming, or death metal screaming? There's a bid difference. It's probably much easier for males to do it since they have lower voices. Umm... take a deep breath, and experiment. There's like 1430184204 ways you can scream and find the right one. Then just scream some screamo songs over and over again to practice.
I suck at singing, but I'm the official screamer though and they're totally different.
Jacey Rae
Jazz Hands
Jacey Rae
May 26th, 2007 at 01:31pm
Oxycontin Genocide.:
Dance.To.This.Beat.:
Weird question but...

How would I do that?..

Well, do you mean like punk screaming, screamo screaming, or death metal screaming? There's a bid difference. It's probably much easier for males to do it since they have lower voices. Umm... take a deep breath, and experiment. There's like 1430184204 ways you can scream and find the right one. Then just scream some screamo songs over and over again to practice.
I suck at singing, but I'm the official screamer though and they're totally different.

Well, I know it took practice for me! Since I'm a girl and all. I just play a song, and find my ranges. It takes practice. And I've got a question too. After a gig, and after screaming, what really is a throat-soother? Water doesn't help much for me. What about cough drops?