Don't have an account? Create one!

Smoking cigarettes

AuthorMessage
Sid
Salute You in Your Grave
Sid
February 4th, 2009 at 08:42pm
People are saying that smoking is stress relief. I think that's not entirely true and this is a coming from some one who smokes ten a day.

It starts because of whatever reason that person started (my first fag was when I was bored, alone in the house and my dad's pack was lying around). Your first one makes you really light headed or dizzy but this happens less the more frequantly you smoke.

Then it becomes less about wanting a cigarette and more about needing one. It's not that you're relieving stress, you're just topping up your nicoteine craving so your body feels normal again. You have one when you're stressed because you use up your nicoteine levels. I tried a smokers clinic and this is what they told me.

As far as the smoking ban goes, I agree with it. Honestly, it would feel some what odd smoking in the middle of a restaurant now. I wouldn't say it destroys your social life at all, just go outside and have one between courses or whatever.

Personally, there are times I wish I never started. Aside from the fact that it doesn't exactly coincide with school very well, it rinses so much money. I only smoke now purely on the basis that I'm addicted and yeah it is possible to quit, but I think one can only do so if they really in their heart of hearts want to. That's why methods like hypnotism aren't 100% accurate.

So yeah, coming from a smoker, I'd advise anyone not to start. I always acknowledged the health warnings but thought 'Oh it'll never affect me' but then I lost my father to cancer which doctors confirmed was caused by heavy smoking and drinking. I'm not trying to preach or anything, I'm just saying think about it properly if anyone ever considers starting or has just started.
Kill All My Friends
Killjoy
Kill All My Friends
February 7th, 2009 at 03:01pm
I tried smoking once or twice, and I'm thinking about commiting to it.
I know it sounds stupid.....: (
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
February 7th, 2009 at 04:05pm
Ive read a few pages back, and some posts have stated that the smoking ban is wrong because passive smoking and its dangers is massivly over exaggerated.

But for me, im happy with the smaking ban just because its disgusting and unpleasent when someone is smoking next to you, say on a bus, ect..

it stinks, and it sticks to your clothes, and makes everyone around them suffer a coughing fit.
demon dean
Always Born a Crime
demon dean
February 8th, 2009 at 03:20am
i'm a smoker, and i hate it. everyone around me hates it. and i would love to stop, but its worse than hard.
the smoking ban is a good idea. it saves people from health hazards, especially if they have asthma, etc. it smells, and its just not fun to be around, unless you are a smoker. even people who have been smokers don't enjoy it.
i would advise everyone not to start. it's a bad habbit that most smokers themselves hate, and its hard to kick.
its no better than being a drug addict.
teen spirit.
Crash Queen
teen spirit.
February 20th, 2009 at 11:35am
the smoking ban is definately a good idea. why should people die of second hand smoke just because others have chosen to smoke near them?
sir_pleb
Jazz Hands
sir_pleb
March 8th, 2009 at 01:02am
patrick stump.:
the smoking ban is definitely a good idea. why should people die of second hand smoke just because others have chosen to smoke near them?

What right does the government have to tell a private business what legal activities may be conducted on it's premises? Smoking is legal, does not require a licence or dispensation, so why should it be illegal on a private premises?
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
March 8th, 2009 at 02:20pm
The smoking ban, is and isn't a good idea.

I use to smoke lots, and when I was little I lived with my aunt who would smoke alot and also so did her guest that were always at her house. Now when I was in her care, she'd do the best not to smoke around me, her and her friends would go outside, lock the door and if I tried to follow them out like I always did I'd get spanked. She always had my older cousins watch me while she walked over there for a little while to smoke one real fast.

But her best still didn't do the full job, I still developed bad asthma and also it became ingrained in my little mind that it was ok and cool to smoke. now she's not a bad guardian, in fact she was wonderful, and she tried to quit hundreds of times, but still she smokes a pack a day, and her new husband can barely never not have a cigerette in between his lips

So when I was 13 I started smoking, to me it was acceptable. I was fully aware of the health risks, and of coarse it did wonders for my asthma.

Finally I stopped, I was doing things I'll forever regret just to get a pack and a lighter, I was barely eating and I was always freaking out and cleaning everything so my parents wouldn't find out. It just became to much to handle.

Alittle while ago I had my first cigerette in awhile, and it was absolutely disgusting.

The smoke ban is good cause maybe it'll help prevent kids like me getting severe health problems and it'll defedently make the air clean.

But what about people like my aunt? she was actually ver responsible about smoking, she refused for the most part to do it around children or around people who didn't smoke or like it and she refuses to just leave the butts lying around on the street. Should she have her fix stripped away from her?
stella spotlight!
Joining The Black Parade
stella spotlight!
March 9th, 2009 at 09:44pm
I live in NY where smoking isn't allowed in public places, and I love it. Non-smokers shouldn't have to suffer the ill-effects of secondhand smoke. It works for smokers, too, because they can smoke in their homes and on their property.

I would never smoke mainly because my lungs suck (thanks, genetics!) and I don't like the smell. But hey, whatever. If you want to smoke, go right ahead.
Ronnie Radke
Killjoy
Ronnie Radke
March 12th, 2009 at 01:04am
Gerard Wa-HEY!:
^While I totally agree with you on the whole you have your right to smoke thing... I think your wrong about the alcohol. I'm not saying your entirely wrong, just that it's not all bad. Drinking wine at a party or having a brandy is considered classy in some places! I mean, yeah smoking is bad for you and it causes cancer, blah, blah, blah, but that's everyone's own choice. Unless your choice starts to hurt others, like if you get into car crashes or force children to breathe in cigarette smoke, then you should be able to do whatever you want. Personally, I've been drinking since I was twelve. Never once have I done something irrational while drinking, but my friends who smoke were running around and burning each other with cigarettes.

I really have no idea where I stand on this issue... I could go for both sides =/

i fully agree with yor drinking thing. but the thing is hun, im 14. while yes, it is acceptable, but not at my age. tell mean, if you see someone my age totally wasted, would you be thinking theyre classy?

and again, i agree. i do realize it can hurt others. but i dont have kids, and im never near them when i do smoke. i understand that those kids shouldnt have to suffer. but right now, its only hurting me.
idk. my bff jill?
Demolition Lover
idk. my bff jill?
March 13th, 2009 at 07:32pm
I don't think the smoking ban is always a good idea. I mean,if you're addicted,then you gotta do it. You really aren't gonna get away from it.
make some noise;
Jazz Hands
make some noise;
March 19th, 2009 at 02:04pm
My mom smokes a pack or two a day, and I'd have to say that I'm EXTREMELY happy about the smoking ban. [She's not, really,] I realize that I'm just repeating what a lot of people have said, but smoke at your home, or go outside. I don't want to smell all that nasty smoke while I'm trying to enjoy my dinner.
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
April 1st, 2009 at 01:55am
To be honest i dont mind people that do smoke, but i personally wouldnt do it... they are cancer sticks! and i have asthma!

To me your just putting your health at risk and isnt worth it

And wasting money
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
April 1st, 2009 at 10:49pm
John St. John:
But for me, im happy with the smaking ban just because its disgusting and unpleasent when someone is smoking next to you, say on a bus, ect..

So, we should also ban the wearing of low-cut tops, short skirts, low-slung jeans (in which underwear hangs out over the waistband), backwards baseball caps, intoxicated/drug affected people, people who work in, say, a fishmarket (and therefore reek) etc from being allowed in public?
All of these things, and many, many more, are considered offensive.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
April 2nd, 2009 at 11:31am
I never said it was offensive...

Theres an obvious difference from disliking what someones wearing to disliking having the taste of ciggarettes forced down your throat
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
April 3rd, 2009 at 02:53am
Cigarettes And Suicide:

So, we should also ban the wearing of low-cut tops, short skirts, low-slung jeans (in which underwear hangs out over the waistband), backwards baseball caps, intoxicated/drug affected people, people who work in, say, a fishmarket (and therefore reek) etc from being allowed in public?
All of these things, and many, many more, are considered offensive.
Having to smoke someone's second hand smoke is different to seeing someone wearing a low cut top.

And besides, the smoking ban here is not a smoking ban in public, as in the street. It's a smoking ban indoors, like restaurants and pubs and nightclubs, where it's a confined space and little ventilation.
Exposure.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Exposure.
April 12th, 2009 at 04:43pm
I've smoked... once. It's kinda stupid. Why risk your health if it dosent give you a high or any other gratification?
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
April 13th, 2009 at 01:51am
Mayday Parade:
I've smoked... once. It's kinda stupid. Why risk your health if it dosent give you a high or any other gratification?
But some people do get gratification out of it. I know some smokers, and my dad used to smoke, and they always talk about it as a stress reliever.

Personally, I wouldn't turn to smoking to relieve stress. But it works for some people, I guess.
Daft
Fabulous Killjoy
Daft
April 14th, 2009 at 03:05am
When i go out and smoke i smoke by myself jus so i can get out there for ten min and think, so in ways thats how it relieves stress for me. Jus workin on getting some perspective.
Star Ashes
Fabulous Killjoy
Star Ashes
April 27th, 2009 at 04:54am
Kill All My Friends:
I tried smoking once or twice, and I'm thinking about commiting to it.
I know it sounds stupid.....: (

it is entirely up to you but it isn't a nice thing, i have almost given up and i have been smoking for like what two years. I need to give up and its wasting my money : ) so if you wanna start then its up to you but think of the pros and cons of this situation. I dont mind smokers, and i wont mind them when i have quit but i also know what its like to try and give up and fail miserably. I have done this on countless occasions. But i see it as a habit thing rather than a stress reliever, sometimes yes i will say i need a fag im fucked off, but i won't say that too often.I can understand the want for it when stressed but it has got the name "death stick" for a reason. so therefore i aim to give up very soon. : ) it's gunna be hard cause i have exams and tuff but i will do it this time, i want to and need to.
Romantica.
Killjoy
Romantica.
April 28th, 2009 at 02:16pm

I would never start smoking.

Yeah yeah,it makes people 'look cool' like some people say.
But it's not cool after a few years you end up with cancer.
Or any other disease you get from smoking.
I'm glad I have a health class and I'm in it in school. We talking about
smoking and it elaborated my mind about smoking. Leaned about new
deseases that can happen to you.

I don't like pain.
So,if I start smoking now,once I get older there will be alot
of pain to face. And I don't want to live my life thinking "I wish I
would have never started smoking."

And if people smoke to releave stress,the more and more stress you
have,the more and more constant you will smoke because you
will pile up more stress which means you will turn to the cig again.