Don't have an account? Create one!

Vegetarianism/Veganism

AuthorMessage
Frank!enstein
Crash Queen
Frank!enstein
April 30th, 2009 at 01:11pm
I've been vegetarian since '07 and have only been vegan for a few months now.
collateral damage.
Awake and Unafraid
collateral damage.
April 30th, 2009 at 01:45pm
Vegetarian for three years. Keeping steady.
Battery Acid
Salute You in Your Grave
Battery Acid
April 30th, 2009 at 07:15pm
I've been 100% vegan since December.
spencer smith.
Devil's Got Your Number
spencer smith.
May 10th, 2009 at 01:22am
for people that don't drink cow's milk, what kind of milk would you recommend taste-wise? soy milk seems to have the most protein, but i don't like it by itself, it has to be chocolate flavoured, ahaha. i've been thinking of trying rice milk and almond milk, what do you guys like more?

i think i've been a vegetarian for around 10 months, and the only things i miss are the pastry on pies and marshmallows, lmao. i can't find vegetarian marshmallows anywhere and there aren't any veggie pies i like ):
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
May 10th, 2009 at 02:29am
Rice milk is fine but it tastes like, well, rice, haha. Almond milk, to me, is like soymilk without the weird aftertaste. I like soymilk fersure but if you hate it, try almond milk. Although I think it's the most expensive of the lot. =/

Veg marshmallows and such are only to be flound online I think, unless you are in a major US coastal city. As for pies, you will have to make your own, and I am sure you can find some pastries with veg ingredients.

Anyway, I am really happy to hear that you are full-out with your vegetarianism. I have many vegetarian friends (none vegan though), and many of them don't care about gelatin. I think that is somewhat half-assed. xD
Spirit of Jazz.
Motor Baby
Spirit of Jazz.
May 10th, 2009 at 03:41pm
spock:
Rice milk is fine but it tastes like, well, rice, haha. Almond milk, to me, is like soymilk without the weird aftertaste. I like soymilk fersure but if you hate it, try almond milk. Although I think it's the most expensive of the lot...

...many of them don't care about gelatin. I think that is somewhat half-assed. xD

Rice, Soy, and Almond are also gluten free- the thing in wheat that some people (i.e. my mom) can't digest. While it is a bit expensive (especially at local stores- i'm all for buying local but holy cow some of that shit is EXPENSIVE) it tastes pretty good. It's good in coffee too... i've figured out that if you put this carmel stuff used for fancy coffee and the soymilk in coffee, it makes a good substitution for dairy creamer. I'm not vegan, but I have been a vegetarian for... 5 months now? I miss marshmallows. but, that's really the only thing... though even before I stopped eating meat, i was entirely grossed out by how gelatin is made... blahh. Nothing like animal fat dressed up in sugar and cut into tiny, round gelantious masses. xD

Also, there's this chocolate bar thingy that's dairy free... it's called 'boom choco boom' or something (lame-ass name, i know) but, for being a dairy free thing, it tastes pretty damn good. =)

so yeah.. thats my essay of the day. =)
idk. my bff jill?
Demolition Lover
idk. my bff jill?
May 10th, 2009 at 04:19pm
It'll be 3 years in August that I've been a vegetarian.
=)
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
May 10th, 2009 at 04:57pm
Vegan chocolate (AKA dairy-free chocolate) is actually common; it isn't as easy to find as regular milk and dark chocolates but it's there. typically if you check out your higher-end, 65% cocoa content and above, you have a good chance.

Gelatin isn't actually animal fat - I wish it was, because it's actually a lot more disgusting. it's the hooves, joints, ligaments, and cartilage left over from meat processing, boiled into a sort of soupy mess and congealed or dehydrated for powders.
Spirit of Jazz.
Motor Baby
Spirit of Jazz.
May 10th, 2009 at 07:01pm
Even nastier! x] I'm currently reading the book "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair... it kinda freaked me out- all the cities in the 1900's and their packing towns... eeeyuck... I love how when the European people wouldn't buy the 'smoked' sausage that the Chicago packingtown produced because, well, it was rancid, nasty crap that was cheap to make, and they just shipped it back and sold it for higher prices to the unknowing Americans... just.. ugh. People are twisted. Then they totallly screw the workers out of money until they die from starvation or from eating poisoned food. That book is contributing to my vegetarianism. the first few chapters describe the actual killing floors... I know things have improved since, but regardless, the meat production system disgusts me... but... that's people for you. x]

hmm another essay. >.<
batsquad!
Awake and Unafraid
batsquad!
May 10th, 2009 at 09:13pm
I'm not quite sure how she does it, but my best friend's mom makes this insanely delicious vegan rice pudding that she makes with coconut milk.
A few times a year for their religion (Coptic Orthodox), they fast and it's my favorite time because she makes such delicious vegan food. The food is labeled "seyam", which is Arabic for fasting.

So, if anyone ever wants to look for new recipes to try, look into Arabic food, especially these recipes, I highly recommend them. (:

I've been vegetarian, full fledged for over two years now.
I haven't touched meat, or animal by-products or anything like that since. I stopped cold-turkey (no pun intended) on January 1, 2007.
I feel so much better physically. And though my options are mostly limited when I go out to eat, I love what I can create when I do have to twist and turn other recipes around.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
May 10th, 2009 at 09:59pm
Wow! I had no idea Arabic food was so yummy-sounding. Thanks a bunch for the link.
batsquad!
Awake and Unafraid
batsquad!
May 10th, 2009 at 10:27pm
No problem! I'm sure if you search even more, you can find even more fasting meals and little dishes.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
May 10th, 2009 at 10:28pm
I definitely intend to. The stuffed grape leaves look like they are worth a try.
not so pretty.
In The Murder Scene
not so pretty.
May 21st, 2009 at 11:07pm
i recently decided to become a pescetarian.
i haven't eaten red meat in about 6 months and only ate meat once in a blue moon so i thought it wouldn't be too hard to get rid of it entirely... my dad won't let me go completely veggie, though.

i've been reading some conflicting information on soy. i can't decide whether to cut it out completely or if some is okay.
i don't eat soy at every meal; i drink soy milk a few times a week, and have soy burgers/the like a few times a week. i have tofu once every few weeks or so.
how often do you suggest eating it, if at all?
thanks!
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
May 21st, 2009 at 11:38pm
The only non-conflicting thing I have figured out about soy is this: if your diet is near 60% soy, then you are expending more bodily resources just digesting it than you are actually getting from it.

It's easier than it sounds. If I have a bowl of cereal in the morning with soymilk, lo mein with lots of tofu on top for lunch, and a vegan hot dog for dinner, that's a LOT of soy, assuming the hot dog is made from soy anyway, and they usually are.

Other than that, soy is considered a superfood. There were arguments that eggs were the perfect food and that no other food gave you the amount of nutrition found in eggs, but it's been recently noted that soy can in fact do so. Just make sure you don't go nuts. Like I said, it's easy to pig out on soy considering everything it can do.
not so pretty.
In The Murder Scene
not so pretty.
May 22nd, 2009 at 10:02pm
thanks!
that was quite helpful.
weirdo102
Fabulous Killjoy
weirdo102
June 18th, 2009 at 12:02pm
I was born to being a vegan. for an odd reason but I'm going back to being a vegaterian. hopefully it'll work out. Very Happy
skitty.
In the Cannibal Glow
skitty.
June 18th, 2009 at 12:18pm
Just wondering:
I've been a vegetarian for over two years, and just wanted to know (for future reference) how hard/how expensive being a vegan would be...
batsquad!
Awake and Unafraid
batsquad!
June 21st, 2009 at 12:09am
That's definitely a question for Steff. She's the expert in that area.

If anyone is interested, there are severeal versions of this, but the one I personally favor is the Egyptian way. xD
It's called tabouleh. I'm sure that many of you have heard of it/tried it. But I recommend making it for yourself. It is a million times better.

Depending on your portion, you can add and subtract to this all you want.
Bulgur wheat (which is found in most grocery stores near rice/pasta), about two cups, soak in water until all water is absorbed.
You just get a bunch of fresh curly parsley, cucumber, tomato and onion.
All of it is minced, and I mean minced (which is easily done in a food processor!).
Add the bulgur wheat when ready.
Add the juice of a lemon or lime, *whichever you have* (or half of it you're making a personal batch), half cup of olive oil (add/subtract depending on portion again), stir.
Salt and pepper to taste and you should have a delicious, refreshing minced salad.
It's great to eat with pita, or any kind of bread to soak up the lemon juice and olive oil at the bottom.
I really, really recommend it.

If this was too confusing, I'm sure you can find a more... measured recipe online somewhere. This is just personally the way I know to make it.
emolove4everurs
Joining The Black Parade
emolove4everurs
June 26th, 2009 at 02:12pm
Vegetarian for over a year now(: yay! I feel so much better about myself now. I tried it in 7th grade but i wasn't very good about i and i only ate salads and got sick, and i didn't know about the gelatin and stuff. In the end of 8th grade till this year(i'll be in 10th) i have been a vegetarian and been really good about it.

I just wanted to point out some of the things that really piss me off:

ALOT of people want to be an "EMO" so they go vegetarian because "emos" are usually vegetarians. Some of the people that would be considered an "emo" are vegetarians and are serious about it, but most of them are preaching about being a vegetarian saying that they are for the animals when we all know they are only doing to be a poser and to be considered an "emo." Now all these people are becoming vegetarians and, hey, i'm ALL for that, but what happens when this whole "emo" thing blows over?? Everyone goes back to eating meat and following what ever the new trend is, like the animals never meant a thing to them.

And don't get me wrong I get called "emo" all the time, but I wouldn't call myself one. I wouln't do something just to be labled "emo" but I do wear the clothing and listen to the music but I always have. So please don't think this whole rant was me discussing my hatred for "emos" because I don't hate them. I just think people should be who they are and not follow lables.