AuthorMessage
snow at christmas.
Crash Queen
snow at christmas.
June 26th, 2009 at 02:30pm
"but I wouldn't call myself one"

"emolove4everurs"

erm?

I haven't really noticed people becoming vegetarian because of that. what really does annoy me though is the set of militant vegetarians/vegans who give us a bad name. but too many meat eaters just use that as an excuse, it's fucking obnoxious.
Hiroshima Lovers
Killjoy
Hiroshima Lovers
July 17th, 2009 at 04:35am
I did try really hard to become a vegetarian. But i'm a fussy eater so i lived on salad and potatoes for a week, my body lacked protein so i decided to give up.

I still eat meat, but not meat where i know that the animal has been kept in terrible conditions, E.G: where chickens break their legs because they are kept in a tiny space just big enough for their body.

I admire vegetarians though for their will power.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
July 17th, 2009 at 05:54am
Hiroshima Lovers:

I still eat meat, but not meat where i know that the animal has been kept in terrible conditions, E.G: where chickens break their legs because they are kept in a tiny space just big enough for their body.

So...you mean...pretty much 90% of chicken, then? Even "free range" is cruel. Research it.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
July 17th, 2009 at 05:58am
billiam.:
Just wondering:
I've been a vegetarian for over two years, and just wanted to know (for future reference) how hard/how expensive being a vegan would be...

Well, it depends. Many vegans start out their vegan lifestyle by consuming ridiculous amounts of dairy- and meat-replacement products. Soy sour cream, soy meat, fake cheese, fake ice cream, etc. If you do this on a regular basis, it will be expensive.

However, after doing this for a few years, I have found that my love for faux meat products has dimmed, and I'm through trying out new faux dairy products. So I buy things that give me nutrients like beans, spinach, fortified soymilk (yes, it's a staple for me), and...you know, whatever else. A lot of produce.

And I honestly spend less than many omnis I know on food.

When you go to a fast-food place, like Taco Bell? You'll spend like 1/5th of what the average omni spends. xD
Chantal
Bleeding on the Floor
Chantal
August 5th, 2009 at 03:59pm
batsquad!:
That's definitely a question for Steff. She's the expert in that area.

If anyone is interested, there are severeal versions of this, but the one I personally favor is the Egyptian way. xD
It's called tabouleh. I'm sure that many of you have heard of it/tried it. But I recommend making it for yourself. It is a million times better.

Depending on your portion, you can add and subtract to this all you want.
Bulgur wheat (which is found in most grocery stores near rice/pasta), about two cups, soak in water until all water is absorbed.
You just get a bunch of fresh curly parsley, cucumber, tomato and onion.
All of it is minced, and I mean minced (which is easily done in a food processor!).
Add the bulgur wheat when ready.
Add the juice of a lemon or lime, *whichever you have* (or half of it you're making a personal batch), half cup of olive oil (add/subtract depending on portion again), stir.
Salt and pepper to taste and you should have a delicious, refreshing minced salad.
It's great to eat with pita, or any kind of bread to soak up the lemon juice and olive oil at the bottom.
I really, really recommend it.

If this was too confusing, I'm sure you can find a more... measured recipe online somewhere. This is just personally the way I know to make it.

Does it taste kind of like hummus? I love hummus and other dips/ spreads that are similar, so I may try this...

O and I can't remember if I've posted in this thread yet, though I bet I have, but I"ve been a vegetarian for 5 years and a vegan for about 1 year and a few months of that.
awake and unafraid.
Really Not Okay
awake and unafraid.
August 29th, 2009 at 10:05am
I've been a vegan for a little over a year. Before that I was a vegetarian for about a year. Now i can't imagine eating meat again, it's just not appealing anymore.
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
September 1st, 2009 at 03:26pm
awake and unafraid.:
I've been a vegan for a little over a year. Before that I was a vegetarian for about a year. Now i can't imagine eating meat again, it's just not appealing anymore.

Exactly the same with me! Ever since I quit, I can't imagine eating meat ever again. I'm not a vegan though, just vegetarian.
vengeance university
Shotgun Sinner
vengeance university
September 1st, 2009 at 04:20pm
hiiii. i don't know if i've posted in this thread ever, but i've been a vegetarian for over 2 years now. i think it's a good lifestyle to live, but recently i've been having these stomach problems. >_<
but i am very proud to be one, even though my friends make fun of me for it and tell me i need to start eating better. it just bothers me how they can tease me and i can't say anything about them eating meat.

just recently a friend was telling me how hitler was a vegetarian AND had stomach problems. wtf?
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
September 1st, 2009 at 04:23pm
Well, look into what could be causing it. There are very few problems medically that can only be solved by dropping your vegetarianism. Really. In this day and age, there are too many options. People give it up because they want to.

I'm with you on the friends. I have a vegan friend who's a bitch to everyone about accommodating her (it's incredibly irritating), and all of my coworkers give me hell about what I eat and don't eat. Seriously, they gave me hell for eating sorbet instead of ice cream today. HELLO. They told me it probably didn't taste good. Seriously?
snow at christmas.
Crash Queen
snow at christmas.
September 1st, 2009 at 07:09pm
...I'll teleport to Florida and get sorbet with you.
I generally eat that instead of ice cream anyway.
that's ridiculous.
samantha connolly
In The Murder Scene
samantha connolly
September 1st, 2009 at 07:18pm
y'all, i've been vegetarian for three years now, and recently my hair is falling out.
my diet hasn't really changed - and my addiction to that weird soy chicken and peanuts makes me think it's not protein related...
is this dietary? or does a person's hair just... fall out... sometimes?
apple.
Always Born a Crime
apple.
September 7th, 2009 at 09:20am
i've been vegetarian for a year and six months now, and i find it real simple to get around eating meat. plus i feel healthier and i love animals :3
sookeh.
Crash Queen
sookeh.
September 8th, 2009 at 07:50am
samantha connolly:
y'all, i've been vegetarian for three years now, and recently my hair is falling out.
my diet hasn't really changed - and my addiction to that weird soy chicken and peanuts makes me think it's not protein related...
is this dietary? or does a person's hair just... fall out... sometimes?
my hair falls out really easily, like when i wash or brush it.
i've been veg for a little over two years now, but it was falling out beforehand, so idk. :/
Fredrick Zoller
Shotgun Sinner
Fredrick Zoller
September 8th, 2009 at 01:29pm
I've been a veggie for a year and 3 months now, I think.
followill.
In The Murder Scene
followill.
September 8th, 2009 at 04:15pm
I've been a vegetarian for around 6 years and still going strong.
I'd never go back to eating meat. (:
Dana Way
Banned
Dana Way
September 8th, 2009 at 10:30pm
I've tried to be a vegetarian but I always go back to meat because my parents eat meat.
What should I do?
sookeh.
Crash Queen
sookeh.
September 8th, 2009 at 11:14pm
Dana.:
I've tried to be a vegetarian but I always go back to meat because my parents eat meat.
What should I do?
do you mean your parents make you eat meat?
or do you mean it's just easier that way?

i'm the only veggie in my family, and we all find it easy enough to make alternatives.
you mostly have to cook two of something (eg, pasta sauce) but most of the time it's pretty simple.
there are a lot of substitute meats that you can use for things like hamburgers and bbq's etc.

really it just comes down to how much effort you are willing to use to stay veg.
for some people it's just too much, but if your parents support you, you'll find a routine eventually.
sookeh.
Crash Queen
sookeh.
September 16th, 2009 at 03:31am
i've been thinking of going vegan over the summer (america's winter),
and i was wondering if anyone knew some useful websites to help plan recipes,
and just with general information on going vegan.
i've had a bit of a look around but haven't really found anything.

i'm willing to buy books as well, so if you know of an awesome vegan cookbook that would be sweet. (:
Im.Just.Me-.-
Fabulous Killjoy
Im.Just.Me-.-
September 24th, 2009 at 01:44am
Vegan! =] & proud. thought people can be really rude about it sometimes... so it gets me down.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
September 25th, 2009 at 02:01pm
sookeh.:

i'm willing to buy books as well, so if you know of an awesome vegan cookbook that would be sweet. (:

This book is absolutely amazing, it really is. And also this. I never buy books, but I own both of these. I use the cupcake one the most. <3