Don't have an account? Create one!

Vegetarianism/Veganism

AuthorMessage
idk. my bff jill?
Demolition Lover
idk. my bff jill?
December 12th, 2009 at 09:44pm
i've been a vegetarian for a little over three years.

and i love the bingo card. i hear 'do you eat fish' so much.
S!NNER.
Salute You in Your Grave
S!NNER.
December 13th, 2009 at 08:48pm
idk. my bff jill?:
i've been a vegetarian for a little over three years.

and i love the bingo card. i hear 'do you eat fish' so much.

i hate that!

fish have feelings just like all the other animals
i don't eat! :p
Battery Acid
Salute You in Your Grave
Battery Acid
December 14th, 2009 at 07:07am
I'm 100% vegan, and I have been for a little over a year. Animal rights is really my passion.
misa misa.
Shotgun Sinner
misa misa.
December 16th, 2009 at 04:01am
sookeh.:
^ you have to be careful with supplements. just as too little iron is damaging, high iron is just as bad.
you should get your iron levels checked by a doctor before you start taking supplements.
i've been veg for three years and my iron levels are within the high range of normal just because over the years your iron levels can build up and don't deplete for awhile.

high iron levels are also unhealthy.
several of the vegetarians i know all have to take iron supplements, but it all depends on the individual.
spiralina is good for iron, especially if you are trying to recover from illness as it also high in protein
it doesn't taste very good though.
sookeh.
Crash Queen
sookeh.
December 16th, 2009 at 06:49am
^ i said that high iron is bad, and i said my iron was at the higher range of ~normal.
all i was saying is it shouldn't just be "oh i'm veg, better take some iron".
if you levels are normal, even at the low of normal you should not take anything.
i was just making sure people thinking of going veg knew that.
spencer smith.
Devil's Got Your Number
spencer smith.
December 23rd, 2009 at 05:24pm
on the subject of vitamins and such, a couple of weeks ago i had really important exams for school, and i went on a vitamin taking spree to try and improve my brain function. i didn't really realise before, but obvioiusly all vitamins containing fish oil were not an option. i finally found a vegetarian supplement that was supposed to increase memory and blah blah blah and i was just wondering if you guys also had troubles finding things like this.
not so pretty.
In The Murder Scene
not so pretty.
December 24th, 2009 at 01:16pm
^yeah, my mom bought me some vitamins with fish oil and i had to tell her "i can't take these."
i felt really bad :/

at health food stores such as Sprouts, Henry's, and Whole Foods (if you live in America) (and please note that Whole Foods is terribly anti-union, and doesn't much support local farmers, and pays their employees extremely low wages) it's much easier to find fish-free vitamins and such.
sookeh.
Crash Queen
sookeh.
December 25th, 2009 at 03:57pm
i had that problem as well.
so i take a women's daily vitamin that has all the essentials but not fish oil (i hope xD)
it's called "Cenovis Women's Multi: vitamins and minerals once daily"
i just bought them from woolworths and it was about $16 for four months supply.
snow at christmas.
Crash Queen
snow at christmas.
December 25th, 2009 at 07:57pm
mine has fish oil. :/
I feel like it'd be worse if I didn't use it up and just got more, so I take it anyway.
but next time, I'm finding one without.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
December 26th, 2009 at 01:20pm
Dana.:

I could never go completely veggie because I don't have a lot of body fat and I need my protein.

First of all, protein =/= fat. Secondly, I have never ever heard of a vegan not getting enough protein. As a matter of fact, studies have recently shown that omnivores may actually be consuming far too much protein, which is a contributing factor to osteoporosis, since when the body has an overload of protein, it draws from calcium sources to help digest, and since the protein-to-calcium ratio is imbalanced, calcium is drawn from the bones to adjust.

Still, though. Most veggies get more than enough protein. It's hard not to.
spencer smith.
Devil's Got Your Number
spencer smith.
January 1st, 2010 at 10:57pm
people overestimate the problem vegetarians have with getting enough protein. you'll find people on a heavy red meat diet actually get TOO MUCH protein. i have a book called "being vegetarian for dummies" (that and the vegetarian bible pm saved my life) and it says that even if all you ate in a whole day was one large baked potato, that would give you enough protein. cheeses, legumes and nuts contain a lot of protein, as do meat-substitutes like veggie burgers and sausages. even just putting a couple of red kidney beans in a salad goes a long way. plus, if you ONLY get protein from meat, it actually allows more calcium to pass out through urine. it's usually the iron that people have a problem with, especially women on a heavy menstrual cycle.
i hope it doesn't sound like i'm pushing vegetarianism, because i'm really not. i'm just saying that if you want to be veggie, you most definitely can.

undone.:
mine has fish oil. :/
I feel like it'd be worse if I didn't use it up and just got more, so I take it anyway.
but next time, I'm finding one without.

i know this is going to sound weird, but i really respect you for this. the animals have already been killed andthe vitamins have already been bought. if you threw the vitamins away, their deaths would have been in vain. this way at least something good can come of it. (:

another thing, i recently found out that the majority of cheeses contain an enzyme called rennet. this enzyme is taken from the stomach of slaughtered baby cows that are still suckling to help humans digest cheese! this made me so angry, i've been searching everywhere for cheese that doesn't contain this, and i found a couple of brands that use non-animal rennet obtained from plants.
it just makes me think, if people were meant to eat cheese, they wouldn't have to take an enzyme from baby cows. we obviously aren't meant to be eating it, or we would be able to digest it properly. also, it's really kind of unnatural to drink the milk from a cow. isn't it gross to think about other animals drinking breast milk?
Poisoned Cookie
Killjoy
Poisoned Cookie
January 5th, 2010 at 03:01pm
I am a pescetarian. It sucks. My mum wouldn't let me be a vegan. 'your body is growing you need vitamins'. She doesn't understand that I want to throw up in the plate.
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
January 5th, 2010 at 10:06pm
^ that sounds like something my mom would say, but she still lets me be a vegetarian. a lot of people don't know that vegan food is just as healthy- if not, healthier- than non vegan food. if she's really worried about the vitamins, then a multi vitamin would be fine. i've been a vegetarian since i was 12 and now i'm 14 and i've been growing fine.

spencer smith.:
also, it's really kind of unnatural to drink the milk from a cow. isn't it gross to think about other animals drinking breast milk?

sorry, this just reminded me of a story: one time when i was like, 5, my sister had a friend over who was like, 6, so we were still young enough so it wouldn't be weird to bathe together. so when we got out of the bath, were were all naked and had towels on us, and my sister's friend held our small dog, and the dog bit her nipple XD
Malfoy.
Salute You in Your Grave
Malfoy.
January 11th, 2010 at 09:15pm

So far I've cut out red meat from my diet and basically only eat poultry and fish/seafood. I've been doing this for nearly two years now.
Hopefully someday I'll aquire the taste of soy products and become vegetarian totally.
Beast And The Harlot
Salute You in Your Grave
Beast And The Harlot
January 15th, 2010 at 06:59am
I was vegetarian in 2008 til the begining of last year. So probably a year.
I'm not now, I jsut really craved a whopper one day from Hungry Jacks...horrible I know! lol.
I think once I'm living on my own, I'll go vegetarian again. Don't think I could do vegan though...I love chocolate too much. <3

My sister is vegan.
She started of vegetarian, and she took that so seriously, and then one day decided to try being vegan for a week with her friend, and then they both decided to go vegan completely.
I supprot her 100%, so does my mum, though I think she wishes she'd just be vegetarian. However, my nan and uncle always go on and on about it, and it always causes arguments, and she gets upset.
Now, i'm her sister so I back her up, and go off at them cause, it's her life, so leave her alone. Not just vegans or vegetarians can get sick, ffs...and eating meat can be just as unhealthy as not eating meat, actually, it is more unhealthy.
My nan always says "God made animals for us to eat, that's why we have teeth." and "If we didn't have animals, then they would breed too much and the world would become too crowded. We'd have dead animals everywhere, and nothing to do with them" or some shit like that.
I always tell her that's a load of fucking bullshit, and I highly doubt that, if god even does exists, that he would've put animals on the earth for us to eat, shouldn't he care about every living being, and not put them on the earth jsut for us to kill and torture? I don't say it in those words exactly though.
try
Killjoy
try
February 17th, 2010 at 09:09am
I've attempted, but epiclly failed.
wow.
City Lights.
Salute You in Your Grave
City Lights.
February 18th, 2010 at 08:51pm
Vegetarian for 16 years, and still going. Very Happy
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
February 20th, 2010 at 10:38am
^ that's awesome.

When I was like, 10, me and my friend became vegetarians because we just felt like it and it didn't last that long. But I decided two years ago that I want to be a vegetarian for real reasons and I haven't stopped ever since.
idk. my bff jill?
Demolition Lover
idk. my bff jill?
February 20th, 2010 at 11:51am
we had, like, a class-wide discussion yesterday about how i don't eat meat. xD

it'll be 4 years in august :)
tay jardine;
Salute You in Your Grave
tay jardine;
February 21st, 2010 at 02:41am
i would like to go vegetarian, but i like chicken too much :/ i hate like every other meat though, which would make it easier