Don't have an account? Create one!

Vegetarianism/Veganism

AuthorMessage
dexter morgan.
Banned
dexter morgan.
September 25th, 2009 at 08:25pm
i don't understand.. how do vegetarians get all the nutrients that meat give you?
can't you get really sick from not eating those?
sookeh.
Crash Queen
sookeh.
September 25th, 2009 at 09:51pm
thank you so much steff, that cupcake one looks awesome,
i might have to get it. (:

i found this book in my bookstore the other day.
and i think i'm going to go back and get it,
because living out of home is making me enjoy cooking less,
so these recipes look easy, quick but tasty. (:
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
September 26th, 2009 at 01:03pm
tommy lee.:
i don't understand.. how do vegetarians get all the nutrients that meat give you?

a lot of nutrients are in both plants and animals, though maybe in different amounts so you have to watch what you eat to make sure you get enough. As for protein, there's plenty in beans, grains, eggs, and milk, if you eat those too. And some people eat fish and seafood as well.

And yes, you can get sick from not eating those, but with a vegetarian diet, it shouldn't be too hard to get all the nutrients you need.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
September 26th, 2009 at 03:30pm
tommy lee.:

Well clearly millions of us are not sick. There are so few of the nutrients you mentioned that I could count them on one hand, an those are available in either mineral or manmade form. For example, eggs are considered a "superfood," tofu actually contains those nutrients plus some, while eggs are also full of fats and cholesterols.

It just takes a minimal amount of research and attention. I was anemic before becoming vegan, and once I went vegan my anemia faded before vanishing completely. That's a good example.
pandiculation
Killjoy
pandiculation
September 28th, 2009 at 07:20pm
I' ve been a vegetarian for a while....
valiumobsequy
Awake and Unafraid
valiumobsequy
September 29th, 2009 at 11:52pm
I'm a veggie. Very Happy
the desperate ranks.
Always Born a Crime
the desperate ranks.
October 2nd, 2009 at 06:37pm
I'm a vegetarian too. :]
I really want to become vegan, but right now is a bad time and I don't want to fail at it.
I can't ask my parents to by me things like soy milk; we already have "real" milk and they just don't get it. I'd also feel bad.
Besides, I would really have trouble not having (some form) of milk to eat/drink.
I'm going to wait until I'm making my own food choices to go completely vegan.
spencer smith.
Devil's Got Your Number
spencer smith.
November 23rd, 2009 at 03:53am
Just for new vegetarians, there's a Vegetarian Starter Kit that you can download from PETA full of facts and recipes. I really dislike PETA's methods, but this pack was really good for me when I became a vegetarian.

I just celebrated my one year vegetarianniversary! I can't believe it's been a year. I know it's not a long time, but I can't help but thing of how many animals could have died if I was still eating meat.
Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
December 7th, 2009 at 03:02pm
I'm a vegetarian but like once in a while I eat meat. Like after one or two months of no meat, last night I came home from and I smelled duck (we never made it in my house before, but I had it at a restaurant a couple of years ago). I went straight to the fridge for the warm leftovers. I kept thinking wbout how it was a carcass and how I would pet it if it was still alive and what kind of stuff the slaughter house people did to it (I thought of a picture that I saw of a guy pumping food into a chicken with it's mouth wide open and a wide tube going down it's throat), but it was It was crack . But really, I don't eat meat too often. Like if there's something special and I have a taste for it at the moment because of my mood and/or the weather, I'll eat it.

The thing about vegetarianism is that you shouldn't being thinking about it. Just go along with your business and be like "whatever", and eat whatever doesn't have meat in it.

Vegetarianism is more convienent than veganism.
I read someplace online that there's a protein in milk that contributes to the growth of cancers (I think breast cancer)

Oh and what I've realized is that there are people out there who helicopter over their kids and try to keep them from knowing f*cked up things about life and keeping them from playing certain video games, but what about making hamburgers! That right there is death and a carcass being put right in front of them. They might as well not give their kids meat! What message are they sedning their kids? "Hey kids, it's bad to kill people and/or eat them but it's okay to kill animals!"
Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
December 7th, 2009 at 03:06pm
I have a question....

I you eat meat once in a while, like randomly with a number of months elapsing in between, but you believe in being vegetarian and you just have a weak will sometimes when you're in a strong mood and there's special meat-things around you, are you still a "vegetarian"?
Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
December 7th, 2009 at 03:12pm
[please delete this post. It's an error]
spencer smith.
Devil's Got Your Number
spencer smith.
December 11th, 2009 at 02:22am

this makes me laugh so much! i've pretty much had all of these said to me.
S!NNER.
Salute You in Your Grave
S!NNER.
December 11th, 2009 at 09:14pm
hahaha, that bingo card is hilarious!

vegans ftw (:
misa misa.
Shotgun Sinner
misa misa.
December 11th, 2009 at 11:45pm
i am considering being vegetarian properly.
i don't eat much meat as it is anyway.
And now by boyfriend and his flatmates are, it'll be easier when we are cooking.
i don't think i could handle being a vegan though.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
December 12th, 2009 at 12:23am
Darkromance:
I have a question....

I you eat meat once in a while, like randomly with a number of months elapsing in between, but you believe in being vegetarian and you just have a weak will sometimes when you're in a strong mood and there's special meat-things around you, are you still a "vegetarian"?

...no. That's just called "not eating a lot of meat."
Dana Way
Banned
Dana Way
December 12th, 2009 at 11:57am
I'm not a veggie but sometimes at resturants I will choose something that doesn't have meat in it and they provide a salad or veggies with it.
I could never go completely veggie because I don't have a lot of body fat and I need my protein.
Also sometimes my mom will make veggie meals so we're not always eating meat.
antennas to heaven.
Banned
antennas to heaven.
December 12th, 2009 at 12:00pm
you can get protein from other foods too.
doctor who?
Salute You in Your Grave
doctor who?
December 12th, 2009 at 05:28pm
Ive been a veggie for a year come February! Im slowly trying to cut down on my dairy. Im hoping to be vegan by mid 2010. :]
misa misa.
Shotgun Sinner
misa misa.
December 12th, 2009 at 07:38pm
December Lies.:
I'm not a veggie but sometimes at resturants I will choose something that doesn't have meat in it and they provide a salad or veggies with it.
I could never go completely veggie because I don't have a lot of body fat and I need my protein.
Also sometimes my mom will make veggie meals so we're not always eating meat.

if you want to be a veggie but are worried about getting enough protein, you can usually replace meats with lentils, chickpeas and the like which are all high in protein. Tofu and eggs will also give you lots of protein, as well as cholestrol and important fats. Quite a few of my veggie friends also take supplements. Iron in particular, but you can just eat spinach!
a lot of asian food places, especailly thai and chinese, do 'mock' meats too. So you can still have the taste of meat if you miss it. They are usually different types of tofu, gluten and mushrooms but they taste very similar to various meats.
sookeh.
Crash Queen
sookeh.
December 12th, 2009 at 09:05pm
^ you have to be careful with supplements. just as too little iron is damaging, high iron is just as bad.
you should get your iron levels checked by a doctor before you start taking supplements.
i've been veg for three years and my iron levels are within the high range of normal just because over the years your iron levels can build up and don't deplete for awhile.