Don't have an account? Create one!

MCR march

AuthorMessage
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
May 18th, 2008 at 06:25am
^ i think the point about slavery was very good though. i see what you mean by how they are different. but its still the same. mary alice brandon (like ur avatar btw Razz) makes a good point. if people werent bothered to complain about the slavery, then this might not have happened. people might still be slaves today. i think thats a good point. because people took the time to do something, their efforts have paid off.

although, i dont think a protest would work so much for something like this. its a good idea to show that many people follow mcr, and arent suicdal just cos they are 'emo', but i dont think its going to change the whole way the media thinks.
i remember 2 girls here in australia hing themseves about a year ago, and mcr were to blame. this has been going on for a while.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 18th, 2008 at 06:29am
If you feeling strongly about something you have the right to protest. Whether it's about the price of baked beans or world peace it doesn't matter. The UK has the right for peaceful protest and i think that's fantastic, not like in some countries where you can be killed for protesting. As an active member of amnesty i support your protest. If you feel strongly enough, go for it.
malibu.
In the Cannibal Glow
malibu.
May 18th, 2008 at 06:36am
I think this particular protest is a little over the top. Don't shoot me. >_<
We all know that the Daily Mail were wrong about what they claimed MCR to be but like, no offence, protesting might just give MCR fans a bad look; like we're too over protective of the band. MCR can fight their own battles and if they were upset by the Daily Mail's article then I'm sure they would have said something by now.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 18th, 2008 at 06:50am
sorry Slacker I don't agree. If everyone had that attitude about protesting nothing would ever change. The protest appears to be more than about MCR now though, more about the media's poor attitude towards music and it's supposed influence over individuals.
Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
May 18th, 2008 at 06:59am
^ But people won't accept responsibility for what goes wrong, they'll always look for a scapegoat. Today, it could be MCR's fault that a girl killed herself, and tomorrow it could be Amy Winehouse's fault that someone was arrested for possession of drugs.
I agree that it's wrong for the media to blame music, video games, books, etc for what some people do and then to tar all the fans with the same brush, but I really don't think this protest won't change that.
Alexface.
Salute You in Your Grave
Alexface.
May 18th, 2008 at 07:08am
Tallulah; Schechter:
sorry Slacker I don't agree. If everyone had that attitude about protesting nothing would ever change. The protest appears to be more than about MCR now though, more about the media's poor attitude towards music and it's supposed influence over individuals.

Bang on. Since over the past fortnight or so the Daily Mail managed to publish two (badly-written and badly-researched) articles about the 'emo' cult and blamed bands such as MCR, Blink-182 and Good Charlotte (I mean, what the hell?) for it, I think MCR fans have the right to protest about it, whether MCR could fight it themselves or not. As Gerard said, we're an army, not a cult.
malibu.
In the Cannibal Glow
malibu.
May 18th, 2008 at 07:10am
Tallulah; Schechter - That's true, nothing would change if people didn't stand up for what they believe is fair, but do people that read TDM actually believe that MCR are the ones to blame for her death?
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 18th, 2008 at 07:12am
The whole point to protest is to make your voice heard. To allow people to understand your beliefs on certain topics. I've been on loads of protests in my life and 99% of them made no difference. It doesn't mean they were pointless, it means people were aware how strongly we all felt about the topic.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 18th, 2008 at 07:15am
Slacker- sadly, probably yes. The majority of TDM readers think we should bring back hanging. The majority are one step away from fascists.
malibu.
In the Cannibal Glow
malibu.
May 18th, 2008 at 07:17am
Okay forget my posts before, I've changed my mind about it.
People should know how fans feel & people should see that TDM is wrong about MCR.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 18th, 2008 at 09:49am

but musics always going to get a bad wrap regardless. and if your going to protest about journalist not being able to write what they feel or understand even if it might be poor arnt you taking away their basic right to communicate ideas even if they are wrong ?

i mean ive read up on the daily mail they do sound like a poor poor poor excuse for a newspaper but really arnt you just fueling their fight. i kinda think that this is going a little too far considering in about another generation were all going to be fourty years old and our kids are gonna bee listening to another shit band and where not going to understand why theyre listening to it.

its a generational thing i bet the people writing in the daily mail had a hard time explaining their rock and roll to their parents.

i thikn this comes to down to perspective and if were the products of our context.
fine if the writers in the daily mail dont get mcr they probably really dont care that your protesting.

i dont think this march should be compared to marches for peace or afor civil rights like it has, cos i dont think it carries the same magnitude as them. i mean in the long run it wont do anything and really doesnt benefit anyone.

sure you can show up clad in black with your mcr shirts signs and what not but a journo from the daily mail is gonna look out his window and write about what kind of cult mcr has produced and twist the story. your giving them ammunition and i can promise you that when you read that article about " the mcr cult that marched" you'll have noone to blame but yourselves.

your taking this out of proportion.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 18th, 2008 at 10:02am
Migatron.:

i dont think this march should be compared to marches for peace or afor civil rights like it has, cos i dont think it carries the same magnitude as them. i mean in the long run it wont do anything and really doesnt benefit anyone.

I completely agree with this.
I would go so far as to say it's insulting that some of you are comparing this little protest to protests for women's rights etc. Those people on many occasions literally put their lives on the line for their cause. I think comparing them to this MCR debacle is kind of rude, to be honest.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 18th, 2008 at 10:05am

Actually yeah it sorta is offensive to compare it to the fight for universal sufferage and attaining womens rights.

Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 18th, 2008 at 11:24am
I think it's a bit rude to shoot down someones beliefs. If people feel strongly enough to protest, let them. Peaceful protests happen regularly in the uk, from major civil rights events to quite literally the price of goods in the shops. The daily mail will never understand but that doesn't mean they should ignore it. The majority of groups people protest against will never understand...
Day Of The Dead
Salute You in Your Grave
Day Of The Dead
May 18th, 2008 at 04:47pm
I feel if you believe in something, you should stand up for it.

This has become more than an issue with my chem now.

I feel as if they have targeted a large group of teenagers and they don't understand how much this will affect them as they may like my chem or feel it's not right to blame music for peoples' death.

I'm one of the people going to protest. If TDM think nothing of it, so be it, but atleast, it's showing you care about something.
It's better then doing nothing at all.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 18th, 2008 at 05:06pm
Tallulah; Schechter:
I think it's a bit rude to shoot down someones beliefs. If people feel strongly enough to protest, let them. Peaceful protests happen regularly in the uk, from major civil rights events to quite literally the price of goods in the shops. The daily mail will never understand but that doesn't mean they should ignore it. The majority of groups people protest against will never understand...

yeah i think its offensive to compare it to a march for civil rights.
people laid down their lives for a cause like that and to compare it to something as pointless like this march because your not happy about one publication is saying about bands is ridiculous.

hell you might even make some bad press for my chem and further your status as a cult if you make it look like you are.

Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
May 18th, 2008 at 05:14pm
Personally, sometimes the pride mcr fans instill in themselves is a bit stifling and choking. I mean, sure, you're proud, but don't flatter yourselves. I love mcr, but I know for a fact there's better things to do, better things to protest for.

edit: sorry if i sound a bit brunt. I do agree that the article is stupid and the writer is severely mis-informed, but I don't think going and paying them any attention is any better. Sometimes is seems like mcr fans enjoy all the drama they get just for liking a band. Face it, prejudice and ignorance exist. It's a part of human nature. If you're so adamant about "who you are" then there's going to be someone to oppose it. You just have to be able to bear that. I think getting in a huff and protesting is over the top, though.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 18th, 2008 at 05:19pm
Migatron.:

yeah i think its offensive to compare it to a march for civil rights.
people laid down their lives for a cause like that and to compare it to something as pointless like this march because your not happy about one publication is saying about bands is ridiculous.

hell you might even make some bad press for my chem and further your status as a cult if you make it look like you are.

Whoa whoa whoa.
"I" am not going on the march. "I" have not compared it to a civil rights march.

I am merely stating that those who feel this passionately about it have the right to protest and I personally support that right.

You dont need to tell me about people laying down their lives for causes they believe in, I am old enough to remember Tianamen Square, I lived through the Berlin Wall and its eventual destruction, i lived day to day with the fear of IRA bombs and people blowing up my home city of Manchester to help express their views and their beliefs.

If people want to make this march and stand up for what they believe in good for them. I'd much rather have a nation of passionate people than lethargy and indifference.

If they do protest, how does it affect you?
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
May 18th, 2008 at 05:21pm
Tallulah; Schechter:
Whoa whoa whoa.
"I" am not going on the march. "I" have not compared it to a civil rights march.

I am merely stating that those who feel this passionately about it have the right to protest and I personally support that right.

You dont need to tell me about people laying down their lives for causes they believe in, I am old enough to remember Tianamen Square, I lived through the Berlin Wall and its eventual destruction, i lived day to day with the fear of IRA bombs and people blowing up my home city of Manchester to help express their views and their beliefs.

If people want to make this march and stand up for what they believe in good for them. I'd much rather have a nation of passionate people than lethargy and indifference.

If they do protest, how does it affect you?
it doesn't. I better stated my views above, i was a bit slow with the edit.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 18th, 2008 at 05:25pm
Madeleine, my post wasn't directed at you. I have edited so it makes more sense.