Don't have an account? Create one!

MCR march

AuthorMessage
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
June 5th, 2008 at 09:12am
Apparently there were about 200 ish, 40 of which were outside the mail offices. There is a thread in the band forum that might give you more information.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
June 14th, 2008 at 06:38pm
MigRacer:

hrmm with such cheery song tittles like " the End"

I know it is late, but they nicked that song title off Blur, who a lot of parents of kids a bit younger than me would probably have listened to, so you would have thought they would pick a different title.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
June 14th, 2008 at 11:09pm

^^
They didn't nick the song title. That would be plagiarism.
They thought it would best suit the song, thats why they named it The End.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
June 15th, 2008 at 03:16am
ChipmunkOnKetamine:

I know it is late, but they nicked that song title off Blur, who a lot of parents of kids a bit younger than me would probably have listened to, so you would have thought they would pick a different title.
The Blur song is To The End. I know that's also a MCR song but i doubt many people would know the Blur song, it wasn't very commercially successful. I know, i was a massive Blur fan. Plus, i don't think they nicked it, there are plenty of song titles that are the same but it's not plagiarism.
Jenny.
Jenny.
June 15th, 2008 at 06:49am
JadeTiger712:
Is there an exact number as to how many people showed up? I looked for the website but the link wasn't working
There isn't an exact number; people were coming and going all day, so it would have been difficult to calculate, but there was an average of 200 people at Marble Arch with 30 at the Daily Mail headquarters on Derry Street.
RAWWWRR!!!!BMTH!!!!
Killjoy
RAWWWRR!!!!BMTH!!!!
November 28th, 2008 at 07:16am
I think teh daily mail is wrong to say that MCR is the term for suicide because i have been through self harming and MCR helped through it
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
November 28th, 2008 at 07:34am
MY_CHEM_KID:
I think teh daily mail is wrong to say that MCR is the term for suicide because i have been through self harming and MCR helped through it
The Daily Mail got that information from the girl's parents, so in essence it wasn't really the Daily Mail bashing MCR, I don't think. They were just reporting what they'd been told.
Jenny.
Jenny.
November 28th, 2008 at 10:36am
Ah, but we were discussing the Daily Mail in english - they have a real way of using words to manipulate the audience, a bit of a talent, actually.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
November 28th, 2008 at 12:31pm
^^ But don't all news papers?

I dont think the daily mail did anything wrong. No, I don't agree with what they said, but they were in there rights to post it.

They have freedom of speech, im sure.

if we protested against everything we disagree with thats posted in papers we'd never stop protesting. What im trying to say is, no matter what they post there's always going to be supporters and non supporters.
Toki
Really Not Okay
Toki
November 28th, 2008 at 06:02pm
Not necessarily all newspapers deliberately try to manipulate the audience. The Times, The Guardian and The Independent all managed to report the story with neutrality and the absence of ignorance. The Daily Mail however are notorious for sensationalising the simplest of stories, and I know people (myself included) who go on their website to laugh at all the ridiculous things they manage to come out with. It's a source of daily comedy really.

As to whether you think they did anything wrong - that's a matter of personal perception. In my opinion journalism which isn't adequately researched and very much sensationalised should not be allowed to surface into the mainstream media. The three articles concerning MCR are examples (among many others written by the Mail) of poor quality journalism.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
November 29th, 2008 at 05:14am
The Daily Fail is only a step up from News of the World as far as sensationalist tabloid 'journalism' (if one could call it that) goes, so if they want to bag MCR, that's fine by me - only people who are gullible believe anything they have to say without forming their own opinions.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
November 29th, 2008 at 06:29am
Personally I just seen the march as the bggest waste of time ever.

If your going to protest, Protest about something thats important. Like poverty, the credit crunch, terrorism ect.

Yes, people might see music as important to them, but in comparison to lifes real issues is it really worth the fuss?
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
November 29th, 2008 at 07:02am
Thats the beauty of the UK. People can protest about anything they like. I will never understand why people seem to think that you can only protest about "global" issues. What's important to one person might be not important to another. The point is you can protest about anything at all you want to. Thats a basic human right, to have your voice heard.

If you want to protest about the price of fish, thats your right. If you want protest about cruelty to animals, fine. I have a problem with people belittling those people who do stick their head about the parapet and stand up for what they believe in.

This not directed at anyone in particular, I'm just adding to the discussion.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
November 29th, 2008 at 07:05am
Didn't we already have this discussion last year when the march happened?
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
November 29th, 2008 at 07:23am
Yes, but I guess we can now look at the issue in retrospect.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
November 29th, 2008 at 10:02am
I guess, but it sounds like we'll just have the exact same argument again. I'll support your decision to keep the thread open but I don't know if we need to go through it a second time.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
December 6th, 2008 at 12:23pm
Utada Hikaru:
Personally I just seen the march as the bggest waste of time ever.

If your going to protest, Protest about something thats important. Like poverty, the credit crunch, terrorism ect.

Yes, people might see music as important to them, but in comparison to lifes real issues is it really worth the fuss?

In my opinion the march was a massive waste of time. For one thing nothing got done. The daily mail will still print articles about MCR and the middle aged will still read and think poorly about them. And you know what ? The Daily Mail are well within their rights to do so, whats the point of having a publication if your just going to write stories that agree with the other publications.

And yeah there are worse things out there than a newspaper badmouthing
a rock band. There's a war in the middle east where people are dying on a
daily basis, There's an economic crisis which is basically affecting all of us and petrol prices are thrashing the average household. If you stand back and look at the bigger picture it just seems ridiculous to get up in arms over something as minuscule as a rock band getting badmouthed in the papers.

And i don't think I've heard of any press release from MCR concerning the march (Correct me if im wrong) so either they're very ungrateful or they really couldn't care less about the daily mail ..
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
December 6th, 2008 at 12:23pm
dp
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
December 6th, 2008 at 12:24pm
dp
Day Of The Dead
Salute You in Your Grave
Day Of The Dead
December 6th, 2008 at 02:12pm
^ Actually, they did hear about it and said their fans were awesome. I can't find the interview but I'm pretty sure it's on this thread somewhere.

And it's about standing up for what you personally believe in. As Tallulah; Schechter said, you can protest on anything you want. I was there and it felt amazing to be among people who were protesting for something I felt strongly about. Sure alot of people think it was a stupid thing to do and a big waste of time, but atleast we showed compassion for something rather than just sitting around complaining and not doing anything.

Sorry if that offended anyone, but that is my personal view on it.