Don't have an account? Create one!

MCR march

AuthorMessage
GhouliaYelps
Jazz Hands
GhouliaYelps
May 29th, 2008 at 05:18am
I think the march is a really stupid idea. The newspapers are just trying to make money by creating controversy. It's how media works. Don't be dumb and play right in to their hand by marching. You just give them more publicity/ advertising, more shit to write about and more ammo against the fans and the band. It won't change anything.
You think MCR is the first band to get blamed for violence and suicide? No, of course not. It how the newspapers make money: creating mass hysteria by blaming a popular but missunderstood subculture for the saddest events in our society.

Just ignore it. Mcr won't be the next big thing forever.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 29th, 2008 at 05:54am
amity_xo:
I think the march is a really stupid idea. The newspapers are just trying to make money by creating controversy. It's how media works. Don't be dumb and play right in to their hand by marching. You just give them more publicity/ advertising, more shit to write about and more ammo against the fans and the band. It won't change anything.
You think MCR is the first band to get blamed for violence and suicide? No, of course not. It how the newspapers make money: creating mass hysteria by blaming a popular but missunderstood subculture for the saddest events in our society.

Just ignore it. Mcr won't be the next big thing forever.

Even though I disagree with the march, I don't think calling the protesters "dumb" is a good idea. They're not dumb by any stretch of the imagination.
GhouliaYelps
Jazz Hands
GhouliaYelps
May 29th, 2008 at 07:42am
I'm not trying to target protestors themselves, and I don't think their dumb, but even smart people make stupid decisions.
jared leto.
Awake and Unafraid
jared leto.
May 29th, 2008 at 07:43am
It may work, or it may not work.
But they are bound to get through to someone,

Everyone in my school doesnt know about my depression and what mcr means to me.
so they call me emo just beause I like them. Its pretty messed up.
I find it amazing that they can speak to people through music.
Yes. I am a depressed Teenager.
But MCR helps me get it through it all.
I told my friends about the cause and they are all for it.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
May 29th, 2008 at 07:49am
amity_xo:
I'm not trying to target protestors themselves, and I don't think their dumb, but even smart people make stupid decisions.

Careful, there. That sounds alarmingly like you're attacking people. Keep it nice, please.

This march will not solve everyone's problems. The "stereotype" of emo will always be there. All they are trying to do is show people that MCR has been dealt a bad rap over the Hannah Bond incident. Like I posted elsewhere -- I am an adult and at management level at my job, and I had to turn a co-worker in to HR recently for making a very rude, uncalled for "joke" about me right in front of my staff group (I had a bandanna tied around my wrist, and he said "Hey, Mrs. Way, trying to hide your cuts?" Yeah. And we're both over 25.) There are just people in the world who will be like that, no matter your age or music/style preference.

Again, let's try to have a little positivity. This is going down no matter what anyone thinks about it, so let's at least wish them the best and keep the faith that no one will get hurt or arrested.
GhouliaYelps
Jazz Hands
GhouliaYelps
May 29th, 2008 at 07:58am
I'm sorry if it came across that way. I didn't intend it too.
But the reason I say it is because of what you predicted. I don't want people to get hurt, or arrested, and I really question how much difference it is actually going to make...
I just don't want people getting involved in this for the wrong reasons without considering all the view points...I love this band as much as everyone else here, but like i said, everyone makes stupid decisions, especially in the heat of the moment (like at a mass protest) involving a subject/person/s you believe so much in.

*lesigh* but yes, good luck anyway...
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 29th, 2008 at 08:12am
keep yourself alive:
It may work, or it may not work.
But they are bound to get through to someone,

i think at most it would irritate some commuters.
or the people working at the daily mail.

The Rumor
Awake and Unafraid
The Rumor
May 29th, 2008 at 11:18am
^ I've already swayed some people through email.
& considering the amount of press, we'll get our word out.
Martha.Monster
Fabulous Killjoy
Martha.Monster
May 29th, 2008 at 11:50am
[quote="psychochip"]
Paolo Nutini:
[font=3][size=80]

At this point the protest is in 3 days. While I'm sure if word were put out, someone somewhere would be able to put something together, but it would be half-assed at best. Had it been the idea all along, maybe something more could have come of it, but hindsight is 20/20. Not that I'm hoping for another protest, but maybe in the future -- there's an MCR day if I'm correct, sometime in December, was it? -- that maybe MCR fans could, en masse, do something positive such as what you are suggesting.

Perhaps an idea could be that the fans, rather than receiving birthday or holiday presents, could instead ask for donations to be made to anti-suicide agencies or TWLOHA in their name in honor of MCR. I've seen kids even younger than the ones organizing this protest put together huge toy/money drives to benefit Give Kids The World (note I link because this is a group I am personally involved with and donate time and money to also) so I know that it's possible. Given the chance, kids can, and will, amaze you. They just need someone to have faith in them -- the same faith that MCR asks all of their fans to share, in the band, in each other as "not a cult, but an army", and most importantly, in themselves just as they are.

I Can Understand Where Your Coming From Aswell Love Smile
Maybe We Could All Rack Our Brains Together And Come Up With Something That We Could All Do, United As One.
For Example, Like Someone Said A Few Posts Back, A Cake Sale Or So On? Smile

Oh, And Good Luck To All Of Those Who Are Protesting Dance
And I'm Also With You On The McDonalds Oreo McFlurry! Very Happy
Touch That & Ronald McDonald Gets It Wink
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
May 29th, 2008 at 01:08pm
It seems a very silly thing to make a protest over. Newspapers have always printed controversual stuff, and it strikes me as over dramatic that because of what they said about a mere band, all this fuss is being kicked up.

Worse things have been said about better people in the media.
MeckieKaulitz
Killjoy
MeckieKaulitz
May 29th, 2008 at 03:18pm
Okay were is the march London ENGLAND? Or London Ontario?
Sweet Iced Tea
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Sweet Iced Tea
May 29th, 2008 at 07:01pm
England
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 29th, 2008 at 07:29pm
The Rumor:
^ I've already swayed some people through email.
& considering the amount of press, we'll get our word out.

How many of those people are actually over the age of thirty ?

mcr_mom
Killjoy
mcr_mom
May 29th, 2008 at 11:11pm
Simple and Clean:
It seems a very silly thing to make a protest over. Newspapers have always printed controversual stuff, and it strikes me as over dramatic that because of what they said about a mere band, all this fuss is being kicked up.

Worse things have been said about better people in the media.

I think that you are missing the point that MCR is NOT just a "mere band" to these kids (and myself included). Their music has affected the lives of these people who are offended on their behalf. And in my opinion, there aren't any "better" people than MCR. They are very aware of the influence they have on the youth and take that very seriously. Therefore, it is for them that these people are standing up and defending them against this false and misinformed accusation.

Will the march make a difference? I would like to think it would, but I'm afraid that it won't. But if we try to discourage these kids from standing up for what they believe in, we would be guilty of encouraging them to supress who they are just to fit in to what "society" thinks they should be. Maybe this can be the first step in breaking down the "emo" stereotype.
fame monster.
Awake and Unafraid
fame monster.
May 29th, 2008 at 11:55pm
That shouldn't have gone on the front page.

enough said.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 30th, 2008 at 05:35am
mcr_mom:

I think that you are missing the point that MCR is NOT just a "mere band" to these kids (and myself included). Their music has affected the lives of these people who are offended on their behalf. And in my opinion, there aren't any "better" people than MCR. They are very aware of the influence they have on the youth and take that very seriously. Therefore, it is for them that these people are standing up and defending them against this false and misinformed accusation.

Will the march make a difference? I would like to think it would, but I'm afraid that it won't. But if we try to discourage these kids from standing up for what they believe in, we would be guilty of encouraging them to supress who they are just to fit in to what "society" thinks they should be. Maybe this can be the first step in breaking down the "emo" stereotype.

But thats just it, in the wider view of things to the rest of the world MCR are just a mere band, i mean the Beatles were the greatest band in the world but at the end of the day they were just four guys that made money for a corporation.
like you gotta ask your self the question my chemical romance is huge now but what will they be like in forty years, who will really care that they did anything.

and i think the whole emo stereotype is going to be even more worsened with this march, 300 kids dressed in black walking london with mcr merch everwhere to the outside eye their just going to see emo.

i really do think this march just highlights the fans making mountains out of molehills. really theyre overacting and thats whats gotten them the bad rap with observers.

Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
May 30th, 2008 at 06:38am
mcr_mom:

As the poster above me said, in the frand scale of things, they are nothing but a band. The comments the paper said were directed at the band, not the people behind it.

Some people see rappers as the greatest people in the world, and they also have had things said about them in the paper, but do you see track suit clad teenagers marching in protest?

A bunch of kids in black won't sway the public opinion and view on emo. It will only make them more of a target.
MeckieKaulitz
Killjoy
MeckieKaulitz
May 30th, 2008 at 07:47am
SweetTea:
England

Darn! I so wanted to go!
Girl Anachronism
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Girl Anachronism
May 30th, 2008 at 11:23am
Hm, I get your point that it may be a waste of time, but I don't think that it is completely, sure, their are matters that may be more important then this but just because people are doing this doesn't mean that they don't care about issues like abortion, or the earthquakes in china, and seeing as its important to some people, I say why not at least try? You can do this protest and still protest against other things that are more important also. I'm all for standing up for what you believe in and what you think is right, and, ignorant journalism IS NOT RIGHT! And, sure, the protest may not make that BIG of an effect, but the fact that fans gathered up a silent protest for something they love and believe in will at least make the Daily Mail realize they can't just go spewing shit that isn't researched and true without a consequence or something happening. It's like the whole Christmas 'its the thought that counts' thing, its the action that really matters more then the reaction of the Daily Mail, or, at least to me it is. And, if something goes right, the protest could maybe set their facts straight and maybe they will waste their time reporting about matters that are more important (not that Heather Bonds death isn't important, just that talking about high school stereotypes and making people more ignorant about MCR is not important). And, maybe some people will hear about the protest and think for a moment about those fans, and LEARN about MCR and their fans and stop mindlessly stereotyping and bullying people they view as different and less-then-human and start thinking that all this emo shit is truly uber B.S. and sure it may not have that effect, but, at least let the people try. I'm not real sure how worse this could get, though I'm sure it could if the Daily Mail wanted to. As long as its well planned out and people control their tempers and don't go all wigged out and burn down the Daily Mail building, I think it may have at least SOME effect. And, hopefully, a good one. Thats the way I see it, at least. Mr. Green
Girl Anachronism
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Girl Anachronism
May 30th, 2008 at 11:43am
MigRacer:
and i think the whole emo stereotype is going to be even more worsened with this march, 300 kids dressed in black walking london with mcr merch everwhere to the outside eye their just going to see emo.

They all aren't going to be in black though. The people doing the protest have asked that people don't come all decked out in 'emo' attire, even if they think it would be funny. AND they have made special shirts you can buy from them that are white and that say in big black letters 'I CHOOSE LIFE' (or something of that idea). I'm sure there is going to be My Chem. merch, but, that would make sense really. It IS a protest about the way not just the Daily Mail, but many other various types of media, stereotype and view My Chem., My Chem. Fans, and just people in general. So, of course, MCR merch would be there. But also they will have signs that hold life supporting MCR lyrics and just plain anti-suicide messages. And sure, they still may get that general assumption that we are all just a 'bunch of emos' but the idea is to make people think before the spew bias and ignorant beliefs or go about labeling others. Maybe I'm just being way optimistic about this, and though bad things could happen with this, good things could also come from it too. Its the future, we don't know what they are going to think or say.

As for Martha.Monster's post, I think she has a very good point. This should be more then just a protest about people calling MCR emo, there should be more to it. It should involve something else also, the fans that are going to march tomorrow should also involve something that will view them in a different light other then just as pissed off fans, (which I do not view any of you as) and I'll let the ones going to the protest decide what they are going to do (Im on a whole other continent, so I can't go Crying or Very sad ). But like I said Martha.Monster did make a very good point.