Don't have an account? Create one!

MCR march

AuthorMessage
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
December 6th, 2008 at 05:07pm
I get you, but ask yourself, who on earth did this help? It didn't help the band, they'd survive wether people protested or not. Did it erase all memory of the article? No.

the protest didnt exactly change anything.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
December 6th, 2008 at 06:24pm
^ That could also be said for any unsuccessful protest. Like many in the early days the of the American Civil Rights movement, about Proposition 8 in California etc.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
December 6th, 2008 at 07:00pm
But those protests were far more important than MCR.

These were serious and possibly life changing issues that were being protested for. whether they were successful or not, they had aims.Things they wanted to change. What on earth did the protesting MCR fans want to change? Who would it help?

yes I don't know much about the history and events of either i admit,but i think they were worthwhile enough that these were alot more worthwhile than a group of fans protesting about a paper bad mouthing there favorite bands. By all means correct me if I'm wrong.

and you could come back and say that some say MCR has changed there lives. but seriously, music is a luxury, not a right and MCR being badmouthed won't change that.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
December 6th, 2008 at 08:54pm
I don't see what music being a luxury has to do with MCR being badmouthed...

my point is, MCR is something that many people feel very strongly for- what they stand for, what subculture they may represent, what they support. Even if it seems pointless and unimportant to you, like you said, others say that MCR has changed their lives, and I think that those people would want to defend them because of that, and that's what's important to them.
Jenny.
Jenny.
December 7th, 2008 at 12:53pm
Utada Hikaru:
I get you, but ask yourself, who on earth did this help?
It helped the fans, did you think of that? Even if it didn't do anything, a lot of people made very good friends there and they had a good time. I think that's better than just sitting around doing nothing but be upset - at least people had a good time.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
December 7th, 2008 at 01:01pm
The fans can meet and make friends at concerts and the like, I just never saw the need in protest.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
December 7th, 2008 at 02:02pm
I see what you mean by there being other ways and places, but like she said, they had a good time, and it's another way for the fans to stand up for what they believe, and know that they tried
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
December 7th, 2008 at 02:17pm
I posted this last year just after the march happened, and I'm posting it again for Utada Hikaru:
tabitha:
And I think that it has been established that the point is, if you think people should march for a "more important" reason (AIDS, violence, racism, poverty, keeping the McGriddle Laughing ) then by all means get off your tushie and put together a march for it. Don't sit around telling others what to march for. If those causes are as important to you as this cause was to these girls, talk to them and get some how-to's because they just pulled off one hell of a great protest.

Look at how divided we are against our own. How quick we are to judge others and tell them that they aren't good enough -- that their ideas are misguided and not important enough, that they are young and immature for reacting in a perfectly legal way against something they feel strongly about. And just remember, when you put together your own march against whatever cause, a thousand people are going to tell you that you should have marched for something that *they* think is more important than your cause. Would you want all those people telling you that you are wrong and that your cause is not important? Or would you want them to encourage you and hope for the best for you and support you because at least you did *something*?

They just made a difference. Their voices were just heard by millions.

It makes me feel small, knowing I've never done anything that impactful.

What are you going to do now? Continue to berate them? Or get off your butt and do something? Or maybe, just maybe, you can at least just see the good that they did, and be happy for them, instead of trying to cut them down for what they *didn't* do. Because they just did more than any of us ever did -- and for that, I am insanely, amazingly proud of them.

If you think the protest was such a waste of time, then get off your ass and go do one for a better cause. Until then, don't say a bunch of negative things about something that *did* mean something, it meant enough to one person to spur them into action, and it meant enough to the protesters to take the time to participate.
t'lema
Salute You in Your Grave
t'lema
December 7th, 2008 at 02:33pm
Tabs, stop being so awesome, it makes the rest of us look bad.

The protest didn't change the world. It didn't make the Daily Mail apologise, it didn't solve world hunger, or find a cure for cancer and AIDS.

You know what it did do?

Made people happy. People were crying they were so happy. One girl came over from Sweden. One girl had her mother there, and the mother thanked the organisers for making her daughter so happy.

We got some positive attention (NME said any music fans should admire the protestors) and a lot of negative attention (Anons putting up signs saying 'emos did 9/11' and people saying the organisers were idiotic fangirls) but we did it for us.

We met people from the S.O.P.H.I.E chairty, who thanked us.

It wasn't the most important thing to protest about, but I don't see you doing anything to change people's lives.

I for one am glad I went. I made friends I love very much that day. I had fun (kickball, dance offs, singing, talking bands and music with people, hearing the Swedish theme tune for Pokemon were just a few highlights)

It might not have changed the world, but personally it made me happy, and I hope it made people I love happy too.
The Rumor
Awake and Unafraid
The Rumor
December 7th, 2008 at 04:00pm
It helped save me.
I was going to kill myself but I organised the protest instead.

It helped us get out the word of what MCR is about.
It gave us the opportunity to tell people who are depressed what to do to get help and inspire them.

Sometimes you don't need to change the world, you just want to change a few lives. I always said, even if we just helped one person with what we did, it was worth it. And I know that we did that.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
December 7th, 2008 at 05:42pm
[font=5][size=85]
It wasn't the most important thing to protest about, but I don't see you doing anything to change people's lives.

Oh im sorry, I didn't realise you knew me.

Id ask you not to make assumptions about me thankyou
If you think the protest was such a waste of time, then get off your ass and go do one for a better cause. Until then, don't say a bunch of negative things about something that *did* mean something

No I havn't been to a protest, but i try my best to make even the littlest effort.

I donate whenever I can, and volunteer in my local oxfam shop 3 days a week. However thats not the point. If it made any difference to you guys, then okay. Personally I don't think the daily mail did anything wrong, but I tell you guys that your feelings are wrong. So I concede to you. [/font][/size]
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
December 7th, 2008 at 06:00pm
Listen, I'm sure you are a contributing citizen and that your volunteer work is appreciated. I volunteer for Make-A-Wish and Give Kids The World, two organizations who try to make life a little bit better for children who are fighting terminal or life-threatening illnesses. People who work with the homeless and the hungry tell me, why do you waste your time working with children who are going to die? It's pointless and the end result is a dead child. That may be, I say, but it's not always about the child dying, it's about the triumph of their spirit, giving them a week away from doctors and hospitals and even more than that, giving their parents one magical week where they are a *family*, where their child isn't gawked at or poked or prodded or injected with poisons to kill a cancer.

So what's more important? To me, it's the kids. To others, it's the homeless, or people with AIDS, or literacy, or preserving a bit of parchment believed to have divine writing on it. To you, it's the people in an oxfam shop. You choose that as your passion, your charity, your way to make the world better. Anni and the protestors chose to take a stand against a band being slandered as a suicide cult and its fans being labels as depressed, "emo", suicidal freaks. They chose to sing "Famous Last Words" as a way to inspire and give hope.

Anyone who tries to make the world a better place does what he or she can, and puts their passion into whatever touches them. The fact that this protest was created and put on by teens gives me hope, as an adult, that the next generation *does* care and *can* speak out. I'll even go so far as to agree that it wasn't the most important cause in the world, but that doesn't matter; what matters is that it was important *to them* and they made it happen, and they don't deserve to have people shit on it just because it didn't have a global impact or didn't stop a war.
Day Of The Dead
Salute You in Your Grave
Day Of The Dead
December 12th, 2008 at 02:54pm
tabitha:
Anni and the protestors chose to take a stand against a band being slandered as a suicide cult and its fans being labels as depressed, "emo", suicidal freaks. They chose to sing "Famous Last Words" as a way to inspire and give hope.

Anyone who tries to make the world a better place does what he or she can, and puts their passion into whatever touches them. The fact that this protest was created and put on by teens gives me hope.

^Thankyou for saying that. I'm personally thankfull to the organisers because that day was amazing. I was so happy just being there among people who felt the same.

For me, it was personal. They have helped me so much and for TDM to slander them, calling them a suicide cult, saying the fans believe in all this rubbish and giving the impression that we follow them mindlessly, I found that insulting. You can't generalise a group of people just because of poorly looking on the surface.

I've had a lot of crap happen to me..stuff I never thought could happen. I needed a light, I needed something, and it was them. I found that truely offensive what they said so I decided I didn't want to just let that go. Sure, it didn't make them apologize and they most likely didn't really care, but I was happy that I was protesting for my reasons. I wanted people to know that they are a good, kind, honest band who aim to help. I spoke to a interviewer and told them my story. I just wanted to tell someone who would take the slightest bit of notice to realise this band's help can get people though some of the toughest in life.
The Original Bob.
Demolition Lover
The Original Bob.
December 21st, 2008 at 01:27pm
Huck.:
Tabs, stop being so awesome, it makes the rest of us look bad.

I wish I could have done what the protesters did, but I was several thousand miles away.
Jenny.
Jenny.
December 22nd, 2008 at 11:01am
All I'm gonna say is this:

Yeah, it wasn't the greatest cause in the world, even I can say that and I was one of the people behind it. But those who are against it: I don't see you getting off your asses from behind that computer screen and doing something for something you dub a worthy cause. Maybe we don't think that what YOU find a worthy cause is worthy at all. Maybe we don't care about YOUR cause.
Have you ever considered that this DID help at least one person? I don't care if it's just one person, at least it helped someone. Therefore, nobody can say it's stupid or useless.
I know that I, for one, met at least two people that I've been through a lot with, and someone who'll help me in the future. Because I was there, I met so many people that changed the course of my life, showing me that I can do what I want and not what other people want.
So I don't see how it was useless.
K.K.
Bleeding on the Floor
K.K.
December 23rd, 2008 at 05:44am
I think MCR should remember they're just a band and not an army
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
December 23rd, 2008 at 06:08am
eh? Can you explain that. What exactly did MCR do?
chemicallydisturbed
Killjoy
chemicallydisturbed
December 31st, 2008 at 04:45pm
i dont know...i think it was a good thing for mcr.
people just dont bother to take the time to march for other things that are really important, but if you dont then no one will hear what you have to say...
some fans jusy care a lot about the band && what people say about them. they dont just sitt around not doing anything about it, && i think its a good example for others to see... maybe next time people will march for something much more important...
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
January 2nd, 2009 at 08:05am

I agree with insert username here.

Even if the march did nothing to sway the Paper's opinion, was it really all that useless? Maybe it didn't really effect the Daily Mail, but the people involved. They may have felt a sense of unity, belonging, a cause to fight for. Even if it wasn't the most worthy cause, it was still something they could come together to fight for. Doesn't that make it an accomplishment in itself?

The only thing I don't agree with is your line "I don't see you getting off your asses from behind that computer screen and doing something for something you dub a worthy cause."
I think you shouldn't make such remarks. I'm sure everyone has done something for a worthy cause. Even donating a dollar means your helping fight for something. Let it be Cancer, Preventing Domestic Violence, AIDS, third world countries etc.

That's just my opinion.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
January 2nd, 2009 at 07:25pm
^^ I do feel it's acceptable, being the one who said it, because people who are involved in causes should never look down on others. So I give money and time to children's charities. I won't ever say that someone's work on the cause of their choice isn't enough.

I feel that people who work together should support each other. I've even stated that I agree that the MCR march wasn't a "worthy" cause in my opinion; but it was to them. And as a person who works with my own causes, I can respect and appreciate what they did for a cause important to them.

Cutting people down for standing up for what they believe in is an asshole move. End of.