Thug Life.
May 18th, 2008 at 05:39pm

it wont affect me ..
thats the point im trying to make .
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 18th, 2008 at 05:45pm
So i dont see why you are getting so worked up about it.
The march is taking place the other side of the world.
I'm sure you agree with the right to peaceful protest, no matter what the cause.
if someone wanted to march because they stopped stocking their favourite ice-cream in a particular supermarket then so be it. It's all about freedom of expression.
These kind of protests are quite commonplace here in the UK.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 18th, 2008 at 05:50pm

Because i feel that alot of people are reacting badly to something thats happened for about as long as popular music has existed. the medias always been the musicans worst nightmare.

if it really was a problem the daily mail would be getting their asses sued and i spose if those five men actually gave a damn theyd actually be sending out a statement but their not because they dont really care

Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 18th, 2008 at 05:55pm
But the point is, the article is more about the fans than the band. And it is the fans who are protesting. The supposed "suicide-cult" members taking a stand. MCR may not sue every one who writes negative articles about them, but that doesnt mean the fans who are implicated in said article shouldnt have their say. Especially seeing as the Daily Mail has disabled the online comments on the article which gives them freedom of speech.

As for the media and music, Elvis Presley was condemned as the anti-christ when he started out because of his sexually charged stage performances.

I stand by what I said previously, if people feel strongly enough to protest it is their right to do so.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 18th, 2008 at 08:57pm
Of course it is in their right to do so, and there is no doubt in my mind that they will follow through with the march, whenever it is. I just personally disagree with the MCR protest; I'm not against protests in general.

I just personally think this is old news and the protest is just going to give the Daily Mail more fodder for beat ups, if it even strikes them at all.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
May 18th, 2008 at 11:34pm
Scentless Apprentice:
Bang on. Since over the past fortnight or so the Daily Mail managed to publish two (badly-written and badly-researched) articles about the 'emo' cult and blamed bands such as MCR, Blink-182 and Good Charlotte (I mean, what the hell?) for it, I think MCR fans have the right to protest about it, whether MCR could fight it themselves or not. As Gerard said, we're an army, not a cult.

I'd like to know what you're basing your "badly -written and badly-researched articles" remark on.
As a journalist myself, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the articles.
The research conducted was fine, as I have said in a previous post, journalists generally don't have the time to go out and read every single thing written on a topic, or the story will lose it's news value.
But, again as I said earlier, just because you don't agree with an article, it doesn't mean it's wrong/badly researched. It's not your opinion, which is fine- each to their own, but it doesn't make it any less valid.
As for the badly written aspect, again, that's just the journalists preference.

And by saying things such as "As Gerard said, we're an army, not a cult.", you're really doing nothing to change the public's perception.
If anything, statements like that would reinforce the cult like image being put forward.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 19th, 2008 at 12:27am
Tallulah; Schechter:
But the point is, the article is more about the fans than the band. And it is the fans who are protesting. The supposed "suicide-cult" members taking a stand. MCR may not sue every one who writes negative articles about them, but that doesnt mean the fans who are implicated in said article shouldnt have their say. Especially seeing as the Daily Mail has disabled the online comments on the article which gives them freedom of speech.

As for the media and music, Elvis Presley was condemned as the anti-christ when he started out because of his sexually charged stage performances.

I stand by what I said previously, if people feel strongly enough to protest it is their right to do so.

well the daily mail is just going to do that pin you as a suicide cult and this march will probably make it worse for the trillion sixteen and under mcr fans who are overacting freakishly over the subject.

your entitled to have your free speech, your not entitled to send abuse over the Internet. the daily mail website is a privately run and owned outlet for their newspaper and since that means its just an outlet for their business they're entitled to deny you of the right to use it through comments

im all for marching for a good cause. this just isn't one in my opinion sure your within your right to voice your angst and what not but personally this doesn't warrant a full march through London.

your entitled to free speech
your entitled the right to assemble and demonstrate

but i think this an abuse of these rights considering these rights were initially set up to fight injustices that really matter, things that effect human living standards and other things that plague society. not to have a giant whine because a group of people dislike what a reporters had to say about a band and its fans.

it comes down to perspective too thats the way he or she sees it thats his prerogative to report it in the manner he sees fit but a lot of journalism offends people thats a given doesn't mean every time people get slammed in the public forum they protest about it.

im very aware of Elvis status at the time of his rise but i don't think a horde of fans went on a public march through the cities in America.

fame monster.
Awake and Unafraid
fame monster.
May 19th, 2008 at 03:14am
It is their right to march, whatever, i am not criticizing them.

But I do think that there is a thin line between 'cult' and 'army'. I do think that there is no point in a 'peaceful protest' because there is obviously a lack of peace if there is need for a protest.

I think it is a waste of time and a moot point. If anyhting, it would only cause more of a problem, and even more wrong perceptions. Sure, you're proving a point. But what point exactly are they going to prove?

People will think whatever they want to about music, about the followings of a band because of certain events, and they will make opinions about what the meaning and purpose of both are.

But as long as you know what the impact of the music has been on yourself and other people, then don't worry about what other people think.

MCR knows that they don't have a 'suicide cult' and they know that people have their opinions and they know who their true fans are. I would be truly embarrased to have a protest in honor of me, or to prove something to me, when I had nothing to do with what is going on.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I don't think a march would prove anything different but only fuel peoples negative perception.
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
May 19th, 2008 at 03:22am
I disagree with the idea of the protests.
I think it is a huge overreaction on behalf of such fans, some who are just as badly misinformed as the Daily Mail's statements.
I'm in no way excusing the comments written by the Daily Mail - I think they're the dumbest thing a newspaper could do for themselves.

Are people protesting the Daily Mail?
Are they protesting the statements made?
Are they protesting for the sake of change, or for the sake of the fandom's reputation?
Are they protesting out of empathy for the 'misunderstood' passed girl?
Are they protesting because it was simply criticism against their favourite band?

My Chemical Romance are not the first band, or group of artists/musicians, to be publicly criticised and blamed for one thing or another.
Yet, MCR maybe receive more bad publicity than others because of the image they portray.
Unless you are enough of fan to understand and accept the concept behind The Black Parade, or any previous album, it goes without a doubt in saying that not everyone in society is bound to see the band as 'saviours' as they've been called.
I said it in previous posts about this, but if you take away the name and fame, and have any five men dressed in marching band suits with an album called The Black Parade, based on the idea of the 'adventure between life and death', I guarantee you it will not be well-received by many outside the very broad fandom.

The girl who did commit suicide was not the most intelligent of people, from what I grasp, with her saying that the self-inflicted harm was part of the emo initiation process. How could you not expect the media to twist words?

My point is the reasoning behind the protest lacks proper formation, and if there are fans (who will participate in the protest) who understand the real reasoning behind the protest, I have yet to make contact with them.
To me, it does not seem that the march is fighting injustice.
It seems to me that it is trying to fight a growing reputation. Trying to protect a favourite band.

Maybe it will achieve something, maybe it will change something. That's not for me to say - I cannot predict the outcome.
And if that's the case, I will still hold this viewpoint. Fans will have made their point, and congratulations will be in order, but it still won't change my own opinion.

And, just on a finishing note, if the Daily Mail publishes a headline such as, "Teenagers protest against emo image", it will be more than likely (from what I gather about the Daily Mail readers) that the readers will turn around and say, "It's all because of that good-for-nothing band."
And then what will happen?
FreeHugs
Killjoy
FreeHugs
May 19th, 2008 at 05:47am
Oh hey im going to that protest if you will. Im going to sport my Free Hugs tshirt for those who need the luuurve Very Happy
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 19th, 2008 at 07:56am

see the guy above me isnt even out for any particular reason but to make a spectacle of himself ..

Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
May 19th, 2008 at 12:13pm
I think that the more people protest over unimportant things like this, which don't affect the anybody in particular, the less attention people will pay to protests which could change society because protesting will have lost its impact.

DRUNK WITH LUST is right. How can you expect the media not to twist what that girl said about that her self-harm, and how it was part of the "emo initiation process"?
No offence to anybody who does honestly think that, but how could you possibly believe something as idiotic as that? It makes no sense. People from all areas of life self-harm, regardless of what they wear and what music they listen to, what age they are and what background they are from.
girl interrupted.
Salute You in Your Grave
girl interrupted.
May 20th, 2008 at 04:57pm
What I think a lot of people are protesting against is the "black parade is a place where emos believe they will go when they die" statement. It's insulting our intelligence as fans. It's funny if you know it's not the case, but plenty of people are going to believe that which is going to give MCR fans a negative stereotype not only as cult members but as retards too.
girl interrupted.
Salute You in Your Grave
girl interrupted.
May 20th, 2008 at 04:57pm
-double post-
earth2themorgue
Bleeding on the Floor
earth2themorgue
May 20th, 2008 at 09:29pm
SoWhyDontYouBlowMe
Killjoy
SoWhyDontYouBlowMe
May 20th, 2008 at 10:17pm
Man, It is kindof a waste of time. I mean, I'll protest for saving animals, police brutality, stuff like that that is physical harm and like stuff that DOES need to be stopped but even MCR say that if there weren't those people tho poke and pry at certain artists about what they suposedly say and do then there wouldn't be much to it if everybody agreed. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And The true MCR fans know that MCR wouldn't want us to be doing anything to cause harm to ourselves or to get ourselves rounded up by a bunch of police for something as simple as them writing a bull shit article that the true fans can sit and not take it to heart. Like, no offence but we can't take things like that seriously. We know the truth and the members of My chemical romance already know we'd do anything for them and know how much they mean to us. We prove that every time we go out to a show and support them and every time we don't pay attention to the bullshit somebody writes and publishes.
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
May 21st, 2008 at 04:47am
Meagan.:

As someone else pointed out - it's quite clear that so far, the only thing such plans have done is given the band an even more negative impression.
In fact, it makes it look like the band have become personally involved, and have asked of their fans to protest - which isn't the case at all.
It's creating bad publicity for the band and their fans, and great publicity for the Daily Mail.
I don't see how this is helping the situation.
Toki
Really Not Okay
Toki
May 21st, 2008 at 10:57am
I could not care less about any bad publicity received due to the reason that MCR have been called a "cult" 3 times already, so it can't really get any worse.
The Guardian have contacted the organiser, they are a Labour newspaper who intensely dislike The Daily Mail. With possible positive articles combined from Kerrang, The Guardian, and maybe even The Times, the Daily Mail are going to look stupid if they twist this again.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 21st, 2008 at 11:02am
From what I can gather, though, is that no one takes the Daily Mail seriously anyway, regardless of whether they're writing about MCR or not.
I highly doubt the march or any backing from other publications would sway the Daily Mail. They probably don't care. All they care about are newsworthy stories, so if they have an opportunity to twist something around, they will. And that goes for pretty much any newspaper.
Toki
Really Not Okay
Toki
May 21st, 2008 at 11:08am
Of course, The Daily Mail are going to twist this for sure, but it doesn't really matter because they won't be coming out with anything new.
This march is going to be a one-off, it's not going to happen again so if the media want to ignore the message then that's their choice. What matters is that we've had the oppertunity to express that intolerance and scapegoating music is unacceptable.