Don't have an account? Create one!

MCR march

AuthorMessage
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 21st, 2008 at 01:08pm
I think this needs clarifying. Sadly in the uk, the daily mail is considered a right wing, very middle class newspaper and the people who read the newspaper WILL believe what is written. The fact is a lot of parents of music fans will read this newspaper and be directly influenced by what is written in it. The sport and the star are our gutter press. Bizarrely the mail is somewhat respected. Sad
The Rumor
Awake and Unafraid
The Rumor
May 21st, 2008 at 01:21pm
I talked to an MCR fan's parent who was in support of the DM and mailed me on the subject.
I emailed her back, explaining a few facts about MCR and changed her mind completely within one email. I think this goes to show how badly researched the Daily Mail's articles are, how misled some of their readers are and how much the truth can do.
doctor.
In The Murder Scene
doctor.
May 21st, 2008 at 02:53pm

Although I am not, myself, against the march. I believe that if that is the message you want to put out there then do it. I, myself, am not going however, I can understand those that want to- not only will it be protesting for something you feel strongly about but you can also meet like-minded MCR fans.

HOWEVER, I will not be going to this for three reasons:

1. I'm busy Saturday- obviously, the least important reason.

2. I believe that, by turning up as an army, a cult, whatever you wish to call it, it will just be proving the Daily Mail right. In fact, set them in their ways a little. If they see, what they call, 'emos' grouping together and protesting for this band, they are more likely than not to use that against My Chemical Romance sooner or later.

3. The family and friends of Hannah need space and time to grieve. It was, no doubt, a tragedy and I was deeply touched to hear about it. However, people that knew Hannah are not really being thought about here. They've lost someone close to them and instead of the sadness that should be felt through the media, it has been replaced with anger. I understand why you all are angry as it is not fair however, it is not fair they can't move on from this either.

The Rumor
Awake and Unafraid
The Rumor
May 21st, 2008 at 02:56pm
We're struggling not to bring Hannah into this.
Her death was tragic and not what the protest is about.
Day Of The Dead
Salute You in Your Grave
Day Of The Dead
May 21st, 2008 at 03:08pm
^ Hannah won't be brought into this, as we arn't protesting about this matter.

If people see that, she won't be brought into this.
Star Ashes
Fabulous Killjoy
Star Ashes
May 21st, 2008 at 03:47pm
i agree that she won't.

I don't quite understand why she should.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 21st, 2008 at 08:08pm
How can she not be brought into it though? After all, the Daily Mail would not have reported on MCR being a suicide cult if it wasn't for her stupidity. I read the article again about two minutes ago, and it came to mind that the Daily Mail was only reporting on what they discovered via Hannah's parents and Hannah's lifestyle. I mean, yes, the Daily Mail did put a spin on the article that showed MCR in a negative light, but the actual information they were reporting on was pretty much given through the parents. And I would probably say that Hannah herself was into MCR for all the wrong reasons, such as believing in The Black Parade. So if anything, would you then say that Hannah's parents and Hannah herself were also partly to blame for MCR's misrepresentation?
jared leto.
Awake and Unafraid
jared leto.
May 21st, 2008 at 11:50pm
it doesnt matter if we dont get throught to them
at least we are trying to make a point.
maybe we can actually get throught to someone.

why must they scapegoat mcr meanwhile the girl's parents didnt do anything to help her when she showed them her cuts.
if u ask me, this isnt mcr's fault.
for all we know, mcr could have been what kept her alive for how long she lasted
then something could have pushed her over the edge.
ive been suffering from depression almost my whole life
and mcr is whats keeping me alive.
so i think they should stop scapegoating them
and the people who bash mcr need a fucking life.
Andy_H_Way_P
Killjoy
Andy_H_Way_P
May 22nd, 2008 at 12:06am
techno cocaine.:
ChipmunkOnKetamine:
if everyone in the world had the 'Oh, it wont make a difference' attitude, then black people would still be slaves, women wouldn't be able to vote, and the Berlin Wall would still be standing. So what if it doesn't make a difference, you'll never know unless you try. It isn't about My Chemical Romance being blamed for every teen suicide in the world, it's about trying to raise awareness that 'emo' isn't a cult. It's about trying to tell people that we are fed up of being treated like sh*t because we dress differently. it's about telling people that the music doesn't make us want to die, it makes us realize that there are other people out there that feel the same way we do.

The Daily Mail has always been a very opinionated newspaper, and no march is going to change that, but it might at least make people realize that we aren't stupid little self-harming ejits that should crawl back into the hole MCR dug for us, like most paper's seem to make out. It might make people realize that we are normal people, with emotions, and a taste for alternative rock.

Unfortunately, it might reinforce the idea that emo's over react about everything.

First of all, issues such as slavery and women's rights are much more important that issues such as MCR being portrayed negatively by a pompous newspaper. They were causes worth campaigning, fighting and protesting for. The point most people against the protest are trying to make is, that this issue is not earth-shatteringly important.

Besides, in this is old news in the media world. News papers churn out articles everyday obviously, and after a few days, stories like this one become old and stale. My guess is the blaming of MCR for the girl's death was just a spin the journo took to make it newsworthy.

Secondly, like others have mentioned, campaigning against this reinforces the fact that emos are seen to belong a cult.

Thirdly (and this really has nothing to do with the actual discussion but I'm going to say it anyway just because I can), emos don't dress "differently"; they dress quite normally compared to some other subcultures.
Hi! Well, personaly I think Is a good Idea, I mean, the point is not what the Daily Mail said, there's a lot o TV and radio programs who thinks the same... magazine, newspeapears etc. they're fucking powerful because they have the ways to say anything they want and people think they're right.
I hate this because here (Mexico) is the same problem, last month... maybe 2 months ago... anyway, we had a problem with the "emo"kids... gothics, darks, punks etc, started making a "protest" vs. "emos" they wanted to kill them and shit like that. So, Tv programs started reporting who do the emos listen to and they started saying almost the same that Daily Mail, that MCR was a band who support suicide... I think maybe is something with no importance but after that... classmates and other stupid kids started asking me "are you an emo? because you listen to MCR" soo... that kind of shows have that power... and that's why people think that G, Frank, Mikey, Ray and Bob aren't good influence... ok, ok, we don't care about what people say about them... if they hate them or if they want them to die (I read it on the internet) but I hate people who says something without arguments... I don't know why they say that MCR supports suicide... I hate their poor opinion of music...
I know that maybe the 90% of you thinks that I'm wrong and that I'm just a stupoid girl and bla bla bla but MAYBE if someone start doing something... we can do bigger things... we're MCR fans and we should support them. Why not?
Gerard didn't told the girl who died "hey, you should think about suicide... you should do it, it's the best option for you" NO! HE DIDN'T DO THAT...
MCR is influenced by death... but not in the way everyone does... I'm not asking you to think different but I would like that them respect their music and their thoughts.
Guys, I hope you don't hate me because of this haha, it's just the way I think ok?
Good Luck!
Bye!!!
Andy_H_Way_P
Killjoy
Andy_H_Way_P
May 22nd, 2008 at 12:09am
Way.Girl:
techno cocaine.:
ChipmunkOnKetamine:
if everyone in the world had the 'Oh, it wont make a difference' attitude, then black people would still be slaves, women wouldn't be able to vote, and the Berlin Wall would still be standing. So what if it doesn't make a difference, you'll never know unless you try. It isn't about My Chemical Romance being blamed for every teen suicide in the world, it's about trying to raise awareness that 'emo' isn't a cult. It's about trying to tell people that we are fed up of being treated like sh*t because we dress differently. it's about telling people that the music doesn't make us want to die, it makes us realize that there are other people out there that feel the same way we do.

The Daily Mail has always been a very opinionated newspaper, and no march is going to change that, but it might at least make people realize that we aren't stupid little self-harming ejits that should crawl back into the hole MCR dug for us, like most paper's seem to make out. It might make people realize that we are normal people, with emotions, and a taste for alternative rock.

Unfortunately, it might reinforce the idea that emo's over react about everything.

First of all, issues such as slavery and women's rights are much more important that issues such as MCR being portrayed negatively by a pompous newspaper. They were causes worth campaigning, fighting and protesting for. The point most people against the protest are trying to make is, that this issue is not earth-shatteringly important.

Besides, in this is old news in the media world. News papers churn out articles everyday obviously, and after a few days, stories like this one become old and stale. My guess is the blaming of MCR for the girl's death was just a spin the journo took to make it newsworthy.

Secondly, like others have mentioned, campaigning against this reinforces the fact that emos are seen to belong a cult.

Thirdly (and this really has nothing to do with the actual discussion but I'm going to say it anyway just because I can), emos don't dress "differently"; they dress quite normally compared to some other subcultures.
Hi! Well, personaly I think Is a good Idea, I mean, the point is not what the Daily Mail said, there's a lot o TV and radio programs who thinks the same... magazine, newspeapears etc. they're fucking powerful because they have the ways to say anything they want and people think they're right.
I hate this because here (Mexico) is the same problem, last month... maybe 2 months ago... anyway, we had a problem with the "emo"kids... gothics, darks, punks etc, started making a "protest" vs. "emos" they wanted to kill them and shit like that. So, Tv programs started reporting who do the emos listen to and they started saying almost the same that Daily Mail, that MCR was a band who support suicide... I think maybe is something with no importance but after that... classmates and other stupid kids started asking me "are you an emo? because you listen to MCR" soo... that kind of shows have that power... and that's why people think that G, Frank, Mikey, Ray and Bob aren't good influence... ok, ok, we don't care about what people say about them... if they hate them or if they want them to die (I read it on the internet) but I hate people who says something without arguments... I don't know why they say that MCR supports suicide... I hate their poor opinion of music...
I know that maybe the 90% of you thinks that I'm wrong and that I'm just a stupoid girl and bla bla bla but MAYBE if someone start doing something... we can do bigger things... we're MCR fans and we should support them. Why not?
Gerard didn't told the girl who died "hey, you should think about suicide... you should do it, it's the best option for you" NO! HE DIDN'T DO THAT...
MCR is influenced by death... but not in the way everyone does... I'm not asking you to think different but I would like that them respect their music and their thoughts.
Guys, I hope you don't hate me because of this haha, it's just the way I think ok?
Good Luck!
Bye!!!
Oh and I forgot something " I support the idea of 'make the difference'.Is the same that ecology. You can make the difference between live with healt problems because of the contamination or live in a better place by put the garbage in the correct place... we can do it"
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
May 22nd, 2008 at 01:38am

What is there to 'twist' about this protest though?
I mean honestly, it's going to make My Chem fans look like even more of a cult.
Especially when people justify it by calling themselves an army, and even going so far as to say "Gerard said we're an army, not a cult"

As Jules said earlier (may or may not have been in this thread, I can't remember),
being an army isn't much better than being a cult.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 22nd, 2008 at 02:10am
Perhaps it's a cultural thing, but protesting in the uk is no huge issue, it happens all the time. There were people in Manchester protesting about the price of petrol last weekend, asking us to sign petitions. Most weekends something is going on in the city. Perhaps we're just a nation of people who stand up for what we believe in, no matter what others think. For one, that makes me proud.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 22nd, 2008 at 04:50am

Yeah but the price of petrol is something that effects everyone. everyone uses petrol but not everyone cares about mcr

Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 22nd, 2008 at 05:08am
^I think the point Tallulah was trying to make was that there are heaps of protests in London everyday on a whole range of issues, so another one like this MCR one isn't really huritng anyone.

Although I still don't agree with the march.
Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
May 22nd, 2008 at 05:15am
I agree with Migatron. on this one.
Petrol prices affect everyone, but what some people say about a band doesn't, so I don't understand why people are making such a fuss about it.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again:
Music, TV, video games and books will always be blamed for what's going wrong in society and for influencing people negatively.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 22nd, 2008 at 05:59am
asha molly.:

it's going to make My Chem fans look like even more of a cult.
Especially when people justify it by calling themselves an army, and even going so far as to say "Gerard said we're an army, not a cult"

As Jules said earlier (may or may not have been in this thread, I can't remember),
being an army isn't much better than being a cult.
'

exactly how is being an army better than being a cult ?

Toki
Really Not Okay
Toki
May 22nd, 2008 at 06:21am
Mary Alice Brandon:
I agree with Migatron. on this one.
Petrol prices affect everyone, but what some people say about a band doesn't, so I don't understand why people are making such a fuss about it.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again:
Music, TV, video games and books will always be blamed for what's going wrong in society and for influencing people negatively.

And why are we not allowed to protest the scapegoating of music? I think it's a very relevant issue to protest and unacceptable for this to happen in the mainstream media.
earth2themorgue
Bleeding on the Floor
earth2themorgue
May 22nd, 2008 at 06:26am
Mary Alice Brandon:

well maybe its about time someone actually does something about it.
look, the protest isnt going to change the mind of The Daily Mail but the point is to have our voices heard. The Daily Mail expressed their stupid opinions, so who says we arent allowed to voice ours? whether it gets negative press or not, i dont give a shit. we have a right to voice our opinion on the matter.
besides, how much worse can it get? they've called us a suicide cult. i dont know what could be any worse than that.
The Rumor
Awake and Unafraid
The Rumor
May 22nd, 2008 at 07:32am
Blaming MCR for a suicide effects a lot of fans. Teenage depression effects a lot of people.
I know that there are bigger things happening in the world but this is what I care about, which is why I'm putting everything I got into this protest. It's an issue incredibly close to my heart for many reasons and even though there are things that matter more, it doesn't mean that this doesn't matter.
And just because something always happens, doesn't mean that you should never say anything about it.
jared leto.
Awake and Unafraid
jared leto.
May 22nd, 2008 at 07:37am
Teen depression effects me...
So MCR keeps me alive,
and yes.
This is something I care about.