Don't have an account? Create one!

MCR march

AuthorMessage
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 22nd, 2008 at 08:19am
heartagram.:

And why are we not allowed to protest the scapegoating of music? I think it's a very relevant issue to protest and unacceptable for this to happen in the mainstream media.

okay have you considered what you would do if a crappy music magazine like kerrang slandered mcr ? you wouldnt do anything cos its a publication people who listen to mcr read.

but if the daily mail says something against mcr everyone goes to arms against the daily mail ? maybe this isnt even about the scapegoating of music this is just fans chance to make a spectacle of themselves to be honest.

and why would you want to silence the free press over their free thought ? if the daily mail bad mouths mcr in that fashion their entitled to do so because they tell the news from their perspective.

Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 22nd, 2008 at 08:25am
^That's a good point, Migatron.

Now that you mention it, I can think of other publications, mainly music magazines, that have slandered MCR - called them emo, called their fans emo, referred to self-harm when talking about them - and I've never heard anyone complain about that.

But now that the Daily Mail has slandered MCR again (I'm aware it happened a few years ago as well), MCR fans are up in arms about it.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 22nd, 2008 at 09:30am

exactly that makes this march biased .

Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 22nd, 2008 at 10:13am
Every march that takes place is biased. That's the point. You are protesting to have your point of view heard. As i've said before, if people feel strongly about it is their right, regardless of whether others think it's pointless. I for one don't give a damn about what people think about me, i do fight for causes that i am passionate about, no matter what others think.
Toki
Really Not Okay
Toki
May 22nd, 2008 at 10:26am
Migatron.:

okay have you considered what you would do if a crappy music magazine like kerrang slandered mcr ? you wouldnt do anything cos its a publication people who listen to mcr read.

but if the daily mail says something against mcr everyone goes to arms against the daily mail ? maybe this isnt even about the scapegoating of music this is just fans chance to make a spectacle of themselves to be honest.

and why would you want to silence the free press over their free thought ? if the daily mail bad mouths mcr in that fashion their entitled to do so because they tell the news from their perspective.

No, this is about encouraging intolerence and ignorance - they did much more than just badmouth MCR.
If I was marching solely for the reason that a publication attacked my favourite band, I would be in the wrong. I am marching for the reason that an entire section of the public have been unfairly stereotyped, and also for the reason that I think scapegoating any band is wrong, let alone MCR - I want to put this message accross and be heard.

I didn't get riled up when Marilyn Manson expressed his dislike for MCR - I still went to see him live, I listen to his music and hold respect for him.
That shows that this protest extends a lot further that just defending MCR.
The Rumor
Awake and Unafraid
The Rumor
May 22nd, 2008 at 10:28am
If we organized a protest every time MCR got criticized, we'd never do anything else.

This is about a bigger issue than just, 'you can't call MCR names.'
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 22nd, 2008 at 11:03am
^If you read the original Daily Mail article, that is pretty much all they are doing. Calling MCR names.

Quote from The Daily Mail:
Two weeks before her death, she started following U.S. band My Chemical Romance.

One of their songs contains the lyrics: "Although you're dead and gone, believe me your memory will go on."

Quote from the Daily Mail:
One of the foremost of these "suicide cult" bands is My Chemical Romance, from New Jersey.

Their first single, Welcome to the Black Parade, from the album The Black Parade, was released in 2006 and became a huge hit, going to number one in Britain.

The concept album follows the story of a character called The Patient, who dies of cancer.

In the original article that you guys are protesting against, ^^those are the only times MCR is mentioned. The worst is when they call them a "suicide cult", and even then it's in inverted commas, which means they probably got that information from somewhere else.

To me, all it seems to be is "name calling".

And did anyone actually bother to note that The Telegraph wrote pretty much the same things as the Daily Mail?

In fact, going by the dates of both articles, the Telegraph article was published before the Daily Mail one...
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 22nd, 2008 at 11:05am
dp.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 22nd, 2008 at 11:33am
i think the arguement that the protesters are only doing to defend MCR is over. It's been stated many times that the reason is to address the injustice shown to some sub sections of society and the way the press spread that injustice through their publications.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 22nd, 2008 at 11:35am
heartagram.:

I am marching for the reason that an entire section of the public have been unfairly stereotyped, MCR.

so your combating the stereotype that you've been given by a publication by marching as a group decked out in all black as an "army" that from anyone elses perspective would look like a cult ...

i hardly see the logic in that.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 22nd, 2008 at 11:41am
Tallulah; Schechter:
i think the arguement that the protesters are only doing to defend MCR is over. It's been stated many times that the reason is to address the injustice shown to some sub sections of society and the way the press spread that injustice through their publications.

Then why are the protesters still banging on about the Daily Mail "scapegoating" MCR? Read back over some of the posts from today, and you can clearly see MCR are still a big part of why people are protesting. Even though in the article they don't actually blame MCR for her suicide.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 22nd, 2008 at 11:44am

Why is the reason for this protest changing into something biggger than it actually is. one minute its about the daily mail the next people are trying to justify it by making the reason different and much more substantial.

IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
May 22nd, 2008 at 11:45am
techno cocaine.:
Then why are the protesters still banging on about the Daily Mail "scapegoating" MCR? Read back over some of the posts from today, and you can clearly see MCR are still a big part of why people are protesting. Even though in the article they don't actually blame MCR for her suicide.
but they specifically mention MCR, even though she liked other bands, like Fall Out Boy, and Panic at the Disco. Repeatedly, My Chem are blamed for the deaths of teenagers, when actually, if a person is so depressed that they are trying to kill themselves, then they are most likely going to do it anyway.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 22nd, 2008 at 11:54am

Look if theyre getting blamed for suicides, its probably because alot of mcrs work has alot to do with suicide and death.and if a reporter or a parent looks at the lyrics theyre automatically going to think " This is why my childs depressed".
people think they see "hope" in these albums but you know the fact of the matter is the black parade isupposed to be a rock opera ( a poorly executed one at that) about a guy dying.

the reporters not going to think all this garbage about the album being about hope. no hes going to think this stuff is dark and filled with death.
The Rumor
Awake and Unafraid
The Rumor
May 22nd, 2008 at 01:20pm
And we're setting the record straight on that.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
May 22nd, 2008 at 02:40pm
Migatron.:

if a reporter or a parent looks at the lyrics they're automatically going to think " This is why my child's depressed".
what ' I am not afraid to keep on living' is a lyric that tells kids that death is the best way out?
Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
May 22nd, 2008 at 04:03pm
heartagram. - I agree that music shouldn't be used as a scapegoat, but one protest won't change that. As long as people are prepared to blame others, the media will blame music, books, games, etc. It's happened before, it'll happen again, and nothing anyone ever says will do anything to change that. Sad fact, but true.

earth2themorgue - Yes, the protest won't make any difference to the Mail and their opinions, I know that. You'll make your opinion heard, yes. But how many people are going to take seriously a group of teenagers who are protesting for the fact that their favourite band was called a "suicide cult" or because they felt they were unfairly stereotyped. You do realise then that EVERY teenager in Britain should be protesting because we're always called hoodies and violent and adults say we all need to be taught a lesson in respect? That's unfairly stereotyping a large section of the public.
Let the idiots prattle. Real fans (and most of their parents) know the band don't endorse suicide, so it's sort of a moot point, trying to preach to people who won't be converted.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 22nd, 2008 at 05:39pm
ChipmunkOnKetamine:
what ' I am not afraid to keep on living' is a lyric that tells kids that death is the best way out?

hrmm with such cheery song tittles like " the End" "Dead"

and lines like
"And though you're dead and gone believe me
Your memory will carry on"

and
"Wouldn't it be grand to take a pistol by the hand?
And wouldn't it be great if we were dead?"

these lyrics are both in songs that are in the first half if not was a single.
the journalist has looked at this or listened to this and came to his conclusion and i don't blame him if this is what he heard thats what he assumed.

Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 22nd, 2008 at 06:20pm
I really don't understand why people aren't celebrating the fact that a group of young people are willing to fight for a cause THEY believe in. Regardless of your opinion on the topic, the fact remains than in society young people are portrayed, wrongly, as lazy, selfish and non-passionate and these protesters are defying that image. As a teacher who works with teenagers daily, i'm proud of you.
earth2themorgue
Bleeding on the Floor
earth2themorgue
May 22nd, 2008 at 07:30pm
Mary Alice Brandon:
earth2themorgue - Yes, the protest won't make any difference to the Mail and their opinions, I know that. You'll make your opinion heard, yes. But how many people are going to take seriously a group of teenagers who are protesting for the fact that their favourite band was called a "suicide cult" or because they felt they were unfairly stereotyped. You do realise then that EVERY teenager in Britain should be protesting because we're always called hoodies and violent and adults say we all need to be taught a lesson in respect? That's unfairly stereotyping a large section of the public.
Let the idiots prattle. Real fans (and most of their parents) know the band don't endorse suicide, so it's sort of a moot point, trying to preach to people who won't be converted.

no ones preaching. its not about preaching. like i said, its about voicing our opinion.
and well if EVERY teenager in britain felt strongly about being stereotyped, then nothings stopping them from getting off their asses and doing something about it. thats the whole point of this, sure we're not the only group who gets targeted and stereotyped but we seem to be the only group who cares enough to do something about it.