Don't have an account? Create one!

MCR march

AuthorMessage
Spiritual Adviser .
Joining The Black Parade
Spiritual Adviser .
May 24th, 2008 at 05:40pm
But they won't stop saying mcr is emo if you do a march.
Ok, there's stupid people in the world who's emo because listen to MCR, and suicide just because is emo [that's what recentlly happend with that british girl]. But that's not MCR fault, and you don't have to be mcr's fan to know that it isn't..
mcr_mom
Killjoy
mcr_mom
May 24th, 2008 at 11:49pm
I don't think that calling MCR emo is the problem. The problem is parents who don't take interest in their kids. It seems to me that if this Hannah were a true fan, she would have known what the Black Parade was all about. Also, if her parents had been more in touch with her feelings and what she was "in to", they would have been able to help her. Just throwing your hands up and letting your teenager do whatever they want is NOT good parenting. I am speaking as an MCR fan and a parent. I became a fan by researching the band when my daughter asked for their CD. The problem is not the music, it's neglectful parenting. I'm not by any means calling myself the "model" parent, but I do keep tabs on what my daughter is listening to, looking at on the internet, etc. It's time for parents to start taking the time to listen to their kids and validate what they're feeling (even if they don't agree with it). We can't expect our kids to be carbon copies of ourselves. They need to be able to be their own person, with their own opinions, likes, dislikes etc. How is it that we can preach acceptance for other races, creeds, lifestyles, etc until it comes to acceptance of our own children's opinions and personalities? I sympathize with their sorrow, but Hannah's parents should be looking at themselves and trying to see where they went wrong, instead of trying to make MCR or the "emo" lifestyle a scapegoat. I am old enough to remember Judas Priest was accused of this very same thing. Ridiculous!!!! Maybe this is a wake up call for parents to get to know their children!!
Juliet and Romeo
Salute You in Your Grave
Juliet and Romeo
May 25th, 2008 at 02:35pm
Even if this won't help at all, it's something some people believe in and they want to do something about it. They might be wasting time, but they aren't harming anything. It might lead the kids who are killing and cutting themselves as a "trend" of what it's really doing to the world if anything.
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
May 26th, 2008 at 04:42am
mcr_mom:
I don't think that calling MCR emo is the problem. The problem is parents who don't take interest in their kids. It seems to me that if this Hannah were a true fan, she would have known what the Black Parade was all about. Also, if her parents had been more in touch with her feelings and what she was "in to", they would have been able to help her. Just throwing your hands up and letting your teenager do whatever they want is NOT good parenting. I am speaking as an MCR fan and a parent. I became a fan by researching the band when my daughter asked for their CD. The problem is not the music, it's neglectful parenting. I'm not by any means calling myself the "model" parent, but I do keep tabs on what my daughter is listening to, looking at on the internet, etc. It's time for parents to start taking the time to listen to their kids and validate what they're feeling (even if they don't agree with it). We can't expect our kids to be carbon copies of ourselves. They need to be able to be their own person, with their own opinions, likes, dislikes etc. How is it that we can preach acceptance for other races, creeds, lifestyles, etc until it comes to acceptance of our own children's opinions and personalities? I sympathize with their sorrow, but Hannah's parents should be looking at themselves and trying to see where they went wrong, instead of trying to make MCR or the "emo" lifestyle a scapegoat. I am old enough to remember Judas Priest was accused of this very same thing. Ridiculous!!!! Maybe this is a wake up call for parents to get to know their children!!

So are you for or against the protest?
mcr_mom
Killjoy
mcr_mom
May 26th, 2008 at 12:30pm
I think the idea is a good one, although I'm sorry to say that I don't think it will do any good. Maybe if they see so many fans still alive they'll get the picture, but I doubt it. But you never kow until you try. Unfortunately I'm in the USA and can't get there or I would be marching whether they listen or not. If the paper doesn't get the message, maybe other people will.
no face.
Awake and Unafraid
no face.
May 27th, 2008 at 01:04pm
In my opinion, a protest will create more media attention, this was featured on Perez Hilton and you know its gonna be bad then. It'll make things alot worse and everyone calling it an "Emo March" already.
It's gonna give leverage for the media to start delving into it more.

They're digging their own grave on this in my opinion.
Martha.Monster
Fabulous Killjoy
Martha.Monster
May 27th, 2008 at 01:54pm
Peronally, I Have Very Strong Views On Ths Matter. Myspace, Facebook & Bebo Seem To Have Been Ablaze With This Recently. Firstly, I'd Like To Say That I Do Believe The View That Everyone Has The Right To Protest. I Just Think That The Decision Of If To Protest Or Not Comes Down To The Importance Of The Issue, To The World.

Like Was Said A Few Pages Back, Things Like The Berlin Wall, The Invasion Of Germany & 9/11 Etc, Were Things To Protest About. They Effected Most Of The World And Without The Abloishment Of These, The World Would Have Fell In To A Rapid Decay. I'm Not Saying That You Shouldn't Protest About The Daily Mail Slagging Off My Chem, Because I Know How Much The Band Means To You All.

I Just Personally Don't Think That It's That Important To Do This March. I Believe This On The Basis, That There Are So Many More Important Things Going On In The World Like The Burma Thing & Poverty.
Just Imagine How Much You Are Going To Be Paying For Travel, Food, Water Etc On This Protest.
That Could Easily Be Given To Charity, Showing The Daily Mail That Not All Of Us My Chem Fans, Are Thoughtless & Suicidal. (As They Seem To Assume).
I Just Think That Maybe Doing Some Good For The World, Would Help Change There Opinions On Us Fans, And The Bands We Listen To.

Does Anyone Remember When My Chem First Started Out, We Were All United. As One. Fighting Something Bigger. Injustice.

How About Along With Your Protest (Which I Wish You All The Best With Smile), We Organise Some Things Like Meetings & Charity Events Around The Uk, To Help Change People's Opinions On Us. As A United Front.
ringo
Killjoy
ringo
May 27th, 2008 at 04:41pm
Guys, be realistic. The daily mail is a shockingly biased paper that is generally read by the older generation who very much dislike people younger than 40, and written by roughly the same group. However, MCR aren't the first thing they've thrown a hard ball at. I don't like the band, ill be honest, I'm just here to represent a group who have had it far worse than you have: gamers. For years, the DM have blamed EVERYTHING on games. Every stabbing, shooting, mugging, you name it. They even get facts wrong to help them, such as when they said a young man murdered his friend and got the ideas through the game 'Manhunt', when in reality, it was his friend who was the one playing the game. We (gamers), as a collective, have taken their shit for years. I'm not here to disrespect you, or the band, they're just trying to make a living, but what i am here to say is something like this only shows the corporate fat cats how riled up you get when they shoot the blame on you. And riling gives them publicity. And publicity gives them, in most cases, more money. So they'll do it more. And you don't want that. I heavily advise you write them letters. They're less garish, and far more professional. Marching is more on the style of political protest groups, and very few of those ever make a difference. Act professional, or let it blow over. Your call. If you want to make a difference that is...
Alx_Aoide
Fabulous Killjoy
Alx_Aoide
May 27th, 2008 at 10:20pm
I am very much in agreement with the two posts above me. The protest will do absolutely nothing and it seems to me that there are far more important things to protest for (an example might be AIDS awareness, as that's what I do). If you know what the band is about, then what other people say about it shouldn't matter.
earth2themorgue
Bleeding on the Floor
earth2themorgue
May 27th, 2008 at 11:10pm
Alx_Aoide:
I am very much in agreement with the two posts above me. The protest will do absolutely nothing and it seems to me that there are far more important things to protest for (an example might be AIDS awareness, as that's what I do). If you know what the band is about, then what other people say about it shouldn't matter.

if you feel that way, then by all means go and protest AIDS. no ones stopping you. just dont tell us that what we believe in isnt important because to us it is and we have a right to protest whatever the fuck we want.im so sick of people telling us that this isnt important.fine, compared to aids or poverty maybe its not, but if we feel passionate about it, whats it to you? back off.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
May 28th, 2008 at 08:19am
To add to the above, people are not stopping to think about the age of many of the protesters. Older people are all "Oh, but there's so many 'more important things' to march about. Let's add (add cause here) to this march so that it can get some coverage" or "You should protest (insert cause here), because it's so much more important than your cause." You forget that, to some of these protesters, MCR is their life right now. And that's okay; it's normal, it's a developmental milestone. Not to mention, by adding whatever cause you think they should add will cheapen the message that they are trying to convey. Finally, how would you feel if someone told you that *your* cause wasn't worthy enough to march for? What if someone said, "Yeah, breast cancer research (just using an example, I'm not belittling it in any way) is important, but I think it's more important to march against child abuse." You have your opinion and you do what you want to do for what is important for you. Give these kids the same respect.

All you are doing is frustrating the younger ones who are, quite admirably, exercising their right to free speech and right to peaceful assembly. I don't care if they're protesting the mislabeling of MCR, the violence in Darfur, or the end of the McGriddle sandwich. If they have the passion to protest, and are willing to do it legally, LET THEM. It is, among other things, a learning experience. It makes them a part of something. It gives them a voice.

Sadly, they have also had to learn about the darker side of humanity as well, but in a way, even that has strengthened their resolve. As an adult who works with children, were any of them to organize something, they would have my complete support, because it's about damn time that kids start looking at the world outside of their comfy living rooms -- these kids are getting off their couches and doing what they can do to make a difference for something they are passionate about. Kudos to all of them.
Alx_Aoide
Fabulous Killjoy
Alx_Aoide
May 28th, 2008 at 04:29pm
earth2themorgue:
Alx_Aoide:

if you feel that way, then by all means go and protest AIDS. no ones stopping you. just dont tell us that what we believe in isnt important because to us it is and we have a right to protest whatever the fuck we want.im so sick of people telling us that this isnt important.fine, compared to aids or poverty maybe its not, but if we feel passionate about it, whats it to you? back off.

I don't have to back off. It's not like I was attacking anyone for going. I'm just stating my opinion on the matter. This is a discussion board after all and I don't appreciate you attacking me for my opinion. I just believe that there are more valuable ways to spend time and money. But if it is that important to you, by all means, go and protest. I'm not stopping you.
mcr_mom
Killjoy
mcr_mom
May 28th, 2008 at 06:34pm
psychochip:

All you are doing is frustrating the younger ones who are, quite admirably, exercising their right to free speech and right to peaceful assembly. I don't care if they're protesting the mislabeling of MCR, the violence in Darfur, or the end of the McGriddle sandwich. If they have the passion to protest, and are willing to do it legally, LET THEM. It is, among other things, a learning experience. It makes them a part of something. It gives them a voice.

-- these kids are getting off their couches and doing what they can do to make a difference for something they are passionate about. Kudos to all of them.

As a parent I totally agree!!

They're getting rid of the McGriddle?!?! The HORROR!! Very Happy
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
May 28th, 2008 at 06:56pm
techno cocaine.:
heartagram.:

Even after the huge outrage displayed from the rock community as a whole from this (not just MCR fans) The Daily Mail continued to print a third article on the 15th May. They completely ignored all the criticism from a large number of people, Kerrang magazine included, and continued to display ignorance with such lines as "the black parade is a place that emos believe they go whem they die".
Such statements insult our intelligence as fans and I won't stand for that.

And you know why they continue [and will continue] to write articles like that? Because it makes for good press. Having a headline that links in a popular band with the death of an emo teenager is going to sell, and that is all that matters to them. They will (and not just the Daily Mail) write articles denouncing bands.

Beautiful point. Eloquent. And after this protest, they're going to get even more press, and if they babble more about MCR after the protest, they'll really REALLY rack up the sales. So, heh, in a way, you're helping them achieve fame. And there is absolutely no denying that.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
May 28th, 2008 at 07:00pm
mcr_mom:
psychochip:

-- these kids are getting off their couches and doing what they can do to make a difference for something they are passionate about. Kudos to all of them.

As a parent I totally agree!!

They're getting rid of the McGriddle?!?! The HORROR!! Very Happy

That is also a good point, and I admire that viewpoint. Although we're sitting on our butts talking it down, we are also using our brains to exercise our right to dissent - against this dissent, but nonetheless. ^^;

Anyhow, I can only see our whining as something that would piss these kids off even more to do this thing.

I am a bit worried about these kids saying what they are about trying to make people kill themselves and whatnot. We can say all we want about being careful, but you never know; few may fall between the cracks. And then not only will MCR be forever ruined as a decent band - we will have lost innocent lives due to the immaturity and selfish pigness of others.

Although pigness isn't a word.

I think it sounds fun, but I still stand by my point that they should have like a bake sale and donate to TWLOHA, to actually do something GOOD while they stand around for hours. To make a valid point instead of whining. Does NOBODY agree? Many kids in this age group are fully aware of self-harm and know all about TWLOHA, and many of them support it anyway, so saying that they are at a place right now where they aren't ready for it (or other things in that vein, can't find the words) is somewhat unfair.

And I still worry about certain dangers.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
May 28th, 2008 at 07:01pm
earth2themorgue:
Alx_Aoide:

You need to calm down or stay off this section of the board until you can handle yourself more maturely when you are upset. Admin's orders.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
May 28th, 2008 at 07:05pm
ringo:
Guys, be realistic. The daily mail is a shockingly biased paper that is generally read by the older generation who very much dislike people younger than 40, and written by roughly the same group. However, MCR aren't the first thing they've thrown a hard ball at. I don't like the band, ill be honest, I'm just here to represent a group who have had it far worse than you have: gamers. For years, the DM have blamed EVERYTHING on games. Every stabbing, shooting, mugging, you name it. They even get facts wrong to help them, such as when they said a young man murdered his friend and got the ideas through the game 'Manhunt', when in reality, it was his friend who was the one playing the game. We (gamers), as a collective, have taken their shit for years. I'm not here to disrespect you, or the band, they're just trying to make a living, but what i am here to say is something like this only shows the corporate fat cats how riled up you get when they shoot the blame on you. And riling gives them publicity. And publicity gives them, in most cases, more money. So they'll do it more. And you don't want that. I heavily advise you write them letters. They're less garish, and far more professional. Marching is more on the style of political protest groups, and very few of those ever make a difference. Act professional, or let it blow over. Your call. If you want to make a difference that is...

I'm not familiar with the publication but I'm not surprised to hear this. thought that whole mess was over as a mainstream scapegoat.

Anyhow, although we respect your views, please don't make an account just to say that if you aren't also a fan of the band in some way. Thanks for your input though. :]
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
May 28th, 2008 at 09:25pm
Paolo Nutini:
That is also a good point, and I admire that viewpoint. Although we're sitting on our butts talking it down, we are also using our brains to exercise our right to dissent - against this dissent, but nonetheless. ^^;

Anyhow, I can only see our whining as something that would piss these kids off even more to do this thing.

I am a bit worried about these kids saying what they are about trying to make people kill themselves and whatnot. We can say all we want about being careful, but you never know; few may fall between the cracks. And then not only will MCR be forever ruined as a decent band - we will have lost innocent lives due to the immaturity and selfish pigness of others.

Although pigness isn't a word.

I think it sounds fun, but I still stand by my point that they should have like a bake sale and donate to TWLOHA, to actually do something GOOD while they stand around for hours. To make a valid point instead of whining. Does NOBODY agree? Many kids in this age group are fully aware of self-harm and know all about TWLOHA, and many of them support it anyway, so saying that they are at a place right now where they aren't ready for it (or other things in that vein, can't find the words) is somewhat unfair.

And I still worry about certain dangers.

I don't think that anyone necessarily disagrees that there are a lot of things that could have been added to the protest to give it a more global impact -- raising more awareness about self-harm or suicide, using your example, Steff, or even maybe working with someone from S.O.P.H.I.E. since they are in London after all. My point continues to be that it's rather remarkable that they have organized a protest at all; to say that it's not enough because they didn't think to do something like that just belittles what they *were* able to do. And everyone has to at least acknowledge that they have had their hands full lately just keeping everyone properly informed of the protest thanks to the hackers, the fake site with the fake mass-suicide videos, and the media twisting it every way they can.

At this point the protest is in 3 days. While I'm sure if word were put out, someone somewhere would be able to put something together, but it would be half-assed at best. Had it been the idea all along, maybe something more could have come of it, but hindsight is 20/20. Not that I'm hoping for another protest, but maybe in the future -- there's an MCR day if I'm correct, sometime in December, was it? -- that maybe MCR fans could, en masse, do something positive such as what you are suggesting.

Perhaps an idea could be that the fans, rather than receiving birthday or holiday presents, could instead ask for donations to be made to anti-suicide agencies or TWLOHA in their name in honor of MCR. I've seen kids even younger than the ones organizing this protest put together huge toy/money drives to benefit Give Kids The World (note I link because this is a group I am personally involved with and donate time and money to also) so I know that it's possible. Given the chance, kids can, and will, amaze you. They just need someone to have faith in them -- the same faith that MCR asks all of their fans to share, in the band, in each other as "not a cult, but an army", and most importantly, in themselves just as they are.

-- mcr_mom, I heard a rumor that the McGriddle will be going the way of the Arch Deluxe. Personally, I'm okay with it, the idea of pancake syrup-covered greasy breakfast meat was pretty repulsive. Mess with the Oreo McFlurry, however, and you can bet my fluffy tushie that I'll be writing a strongly worded bitchfest to the CEO of Mickey D's. Laughing
jared leto.
Awake and Unafraid
jared leto.
May 28th, 2008 at 11:57pm
For me, Its not just the Daily Mail.
Yes. The Daily Mail does bother me.
They are promoting the emo stereotype.
At school, its devastating to see how many people ask to check my wrists and make fun of my music,
i want an end to this stereotype...so i can g on and live my life
beautiful loser.
Really Not Okay
beautiful loser.
May 29th, 2008 at 12:08am
This march isn't really necessery. I heard about a petiton going around stopping the blaming on MCR, that's good enough. But a march is too much.