Don't have an account? Create one!

MCR march

AuthorMessage
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
May 23rd, 2008 at 07:10am
^well someone obviously has thought it, and by putting the video up, it is putting the idea in other people's heads. And if kids are stupid enough to think that in order to 'be emo' you have to cut yourself, then they are going to believe the video.
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
May 23rd, 2008 at 07:15am
yes. thats true. but people might actually believe that the suicides are good ideas. thats what im trying to say. i personally think its absolutely stupid, but some people might think that its actually going to happen and do something. its obviously terrible. i just think people need to be careful, cos it might be taken seriously.
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
May 23rd, 2008 at 08:50am
earth2themorgue:

The first two words of the article's title is "emos revolt."
That's what you're protesting against, isn't it?
The stereotype that MCR fans fall under, as depicted by the media?
So we can become ignorant to the fact that this particular media source has labelled MCR fans all as emos?
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 23rd, 2008 at 10:24am

Funny that the media throws them a bone and they totally ignore the fact they ahve emo written as the header.

DanYELLDAMAGED
Killjoy
DanYELLDAMAGED
May 23rd, 2008 at 11:14am
hey havnt like read the whole of this but ya know

just wanted to say im going to this march and so are a few of my friends

because to be honest if you ignore what this snotrag is doing

then it will carry on and life will be worst for people liek em and my friends

im 14 years old and i get so much (excuse the language) shit for being a MCR fan and for looking liek a "emo"

im not emo, but that doesnt stop the fact when ever im out people spit at me, try to attack me, beat the living crap outta me, verbally abuse me all because the Daily Mail has desided to express its opinion as though its fact, sure they might not liek the music or the way we dress, but surely this march can show them we dont have a deathwish, we arnt a cult, we're just fans who are being punished because people dont enjoy the music we listen to, im sorry but it is a load of bollocks and im glad to be part of the protest to stop kids younger then me being hurt for listening to a life saving band.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 23rd, 2008 at 11:21am

You know the daily mail isnt the only publication thats labelled the band and its fans emo crappy music mags such as Kerrang and alternative press have doen it alot. infact a well written music journal like rolling stone labelled gerard emo but noone toook offense to that.

as for the daily mail, it wasnt expressing just its own oppinion, the journalists went out and did interviews with people im sure of that, and even though it doesnt show they did and hence that lead them to come to that conclussion. just because you dont like their oppinion doesnt mean that is worth anyless than anyone elses

and you gotta realise that mcr fans are not being punished at all. fans of different bands get critisized, if your a white person who listens to rap your instantly a try hard wigger .. the get the bad rap too but they dont protest because theyre just words thats it

mountains out of molhills

dee dee ramone.
Always Born a Crime
dee dee ramone.
May 23rd, 2008 at 02:13pm
the thing that's stupid is those videos.
honestly, joke or no joke, it's really not funny, and the press will have a field day.
plus hello, contradiction? you go to a march protesting against this 'emo' stereotype of suicide and cutting, then you kill yourself.
that's stupid.
Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
May 23rd, 2008 at 02:46pm
earth2themorgue:
no ones preaching. its not about preaching. like i said, its about voicing our opinion.
and well if EVERY teenager in britain felt strongly about being stereotyped, then nothings stopping them from getting off their asses and doing something about it. thats the whole point of this, sure we're not the only group who gets targeted and stereotyped but we seem to be the only group who cares enough to do something about it.

Voicing your opinion and preaching that MCR aren't a suicide-cult band... to people who obviously don't care whether it's true or not, so long as they sell their publications. Of course it's about preaching to the media. You're trying to preach how you as a fan would write about the band and what you think of them.
Yes there is something to stop every teenager protesting about being stereotyped. It happens in every generation and nothing you say or do will stop it happening in future generations. Ask your parents. They were probably persecuted just as much as we are because of the way they dressed and the music they listened to.
For some people this protest isn't even about the fact that they're being stereotyped - it's that their favourite band was insulted in a national publication. People will always be stereotyped, regardless of age, race and religion, so no amount of protesting will change that. As long as there is a minority who keep their prejudices and false ideas alive, some people will believe them.
Face it, the journos had to put some sort of twist on that particular story to make it more interesting, and in my opinion that girl's parents (no offence to them) mustn't have had a very good relationship with their daughter, for them to be able to blame the music she listened to and a certain "culture" for what she did.
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
May 23rd, 2008 at 06:26pm
dee dee ramone.:
the thing that's stupid is those videos.
honestly, joke or no joke, it's really not funny, and the press will have a field day.
plus hello, contradiction? you go to a march protesting against this 'emo' stereotype of suicide and cutting, then you kill yourself.
that's stupid.

thanksyou. someone agrees with me. i understand if you think 'oh its stupid, just a joke, ignore it'. but either way, the media will get ahold of it, and it will pretty much be their dream come true.
DanYELLDAMAGED
Killjoy
DanYELLDAMAGED
May 24th, 2008 at 04:40am
sorry but not being punished?
have you seen what its like for kids your 17 surely if you've been out dressed as a typical MCR fan you wont find this as "not being punished".
And how can you be sure? the Daily Mail has a history of printing inaccuracy's it is a a fascist paper .
and may i add this march isn't about the band being labeled emo its about the Daily Mail saying they caused a girls death I'm sorry but i do feel sorry for the family and friends, but i doubt highly that MCR are the cause of this poor girls death and its wrong for MCR to be singled out by the Daily Mail as the cause for her suicide.
And Kerrang may have labeled MCR "emo" but Ive never heard them be called crappy and since I've taken Kerrang every week for 3 years i think i would noticed if they called MCR crappy.
and yeah i may not like their opinion but theres giving a opinion or giving a opinion as though its fact.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
May 24th, 2008 at 05:45am

and herein lies the problem.
so, it's a protest about unfair stereotypes, from what i can gather?
in which case, it's hard to take anything you just said seriously, seeing as you talk about going out dressed as a "typical MCR fan".
that in itself is stereotyping, so it's all a massive contradiction.

also, nowhere in the article did it specifically blame My Chem for the girl's suicide,
nor did they label them "crappy"

and you're calling them a "fascist paper", what exactly is your basis for such a statement?
honestly, it's hard to take this seriously when there are such massive contradictions.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 24th, 2008 at 06:41am
The Daily Mail is very right wing. They may as well print it on blue paper.
It isnt a rag like the National Enquirer or the like, it is a (unfortunately) well respected and widely circulated newspaper.

The Daily Mail appeals to middle class, middle-England members of society.

This might explain what the newspaper is about and the influence it has on members of British society.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Daily_Mail
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 24th, 2008 at 08:31am

Thats redundant you shouldnt use wikipedia as a source to back up an arguement. because it gets augmented by the general publuc so anyone can tilt it to their own biases against it.

so what if it does appeal to the middle class.

most music magazines you read appeal to you and they stereotype emo all the time ?

Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 24th, 2008 at 09:18am
Jeez, i can't say anything can i? I used wikipedia simply to give more information about the newspaper for people who don't live in the uk. Not to justify an arguement or to use as a reason for the protest. End of. Seeing as most people who are objecting to the protest aren,t from the uk, i actually thought it might be informative.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 24th, 2008 at 09:23am

it cant be to accurate if its been written by random people without any propper checking. and like even if the daily mail gets flak for its terrible coverage or just painting bad images theyre well withing their right to. thats just the way they interperate information .

Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 24th, 2008 at 10:05am
Sorry, i missed the post where i said wiki was gospel. I thought i'd put i link to share information. Perhaps i don't know what i'm doing these days.
gazelles.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
gazelles.
May 24th, 2008 at 01:04pm
This is where the mass suicide videos have come from. They're not made by real fans, they're made by some sick-minded people who would like to see "emos" kill themselves.

My general opinion on the protest is that it's good, because people are standing up for what they believe in. If you don't like it, go stand up for your own cause. Not everybody thinks the same causes are important, and the most important thing, in my opinion, is that the fans are getting off their butts and trying to do something positive. Sure, this might be a relatively "small" issue, but at least it's something. Maybe after people have done this they'll realize that "hey, this march thing is pretty cool and not totally psycho" and go stand up for other causes, if they weren't already.
Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
May 24th, 2008 at 03:32pm
Quick question, is this prtest actually about general stereotyping and the media using all sorts music as a scapegoat, and if so, can anyone join in, regardelss of what music they listen to because the media has stereotyped everyone at some point in time.
Or is it just because MCR and their fans were stereotyped and insulted, and only MCR fans can join?
The Apocalypse.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Apocalypse.
May 24th, 2008 at 04:50pm
I joined up to this protest because i wanted to fight for what i believed in. I believe that what the daily mail said was wrong, not necessarily because they said some stuff about MCR that was untrue, but because the depiction of suicide in the media is wrong and the image of young people is getting slandered.The Daily Mail have written untrue comments about youth, trying to use them as scapegoats for the Hannah Bond suicide.

The protest is for fans to show The Daily Mail that we are strong minded young people that have the ability and strength to fight for what we believe in.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 24th, 2008 at 05:09pm
Well said. As i have said all along, young people get a bad press these days, they're all either suicidal emo's or violent hoodies. I'm a teacher in a high school and i know that the perception of teenagers/young adults is totally wrong. Its wonderful to see you people standing up for something they feel strongly about.