Don't have an account? Create one!

MCR march

AuthorMessage
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
June 3rd, 2008 at 04:22pm
Migatron:
But you cant really replace good old fashioned profession therapy. i dont think your gonna get a better job than therapy. and if your going to say "what about people who cant afford it" well even then music serves no substitute to therapy.

If therapy works for you Migatron, great, but I never liked it much. I really disliked having my life and feelings picked apart by a complete stranger. I'm much more open to just talking with friends or family when I need to. But first and for most I eithor listen to music 24/7 and or write poetry or paint. In other words, I just need to express myself.

Migatron:
i mean alot of people listen to mcr and to be honest i think alot of people enjoy being "seperate" if you will from what they percieve to be mainstream society when infact theyre just joining another society in their hopes of being individuals when in fact theyre all dressing and talking the same
I couldn't agree more. I find it pretty funny when people try to be indiviudals, but just wind up becoming "emo" instead and can't even admit it to themselves. I'm all for individuality and doing what you want for yourself. I listen to MCR not cause its "separate" but because they really help me get to konw myself better.

I can understand how someone can say MCR saved their life, but I also think its a bit extream. If I had only grown up with the lame pop and rap music that our generation justs accepts as cool, I would be really depressed, and not understand who I am. Then to just stumble on MCR, it would have honestly turned my world on end, and really saved me cause I would have found myself then.

Different sitiuation; if someone is suicidal, and they randomly hear Famous Last Words or WTTPB, I can totally see how that message could shock them in to a new, more positive life style.
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
June 3rd, 2008 at 05:05pm
Migatron, If you meant people need a therapist to tell them they're depressed, that's not true at all. A professional is not always a necessity.

Also, depression is thrown around as a solve-all diagnosis. A psychiatrist can tell you you're depressed, put you on some happy meds, and leave it in the books. 80-90% of people who are "depressed" get better after a few days, sometimes weeks. A normal depressed person would stay depressed for longer than that.

My point is that a therapist isn't the final word. Just because they say you're depressed, doesn't mean you are. They may be trying to pad their pocketbook or just give a simpler diagnosis.

source, since someone will ask: http://www.allaboutdepression.com/gen_01.html
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
June 3rd, 2008 at 05:44pm
KingRex:
Migatron:
But you cant really replace good old fashioned profession therapy. i dont think your gonna get a better job than therapy. and if your going to say "what about people who cant afford it" well even then music serves no substitute to therapy.

If therapy works for you Migatron, great, but I never liked it much. I really disliked having my life and feelings picked apart by a complete stranger. I'm much more open to just talking with friends or family when I need to. But first and for most I eithor listen to music 24/7 and or write poetry or paint. In other words, I just need to express myself.

Migatron:
i mean alot of people listen to mcr and to be honest i think alot of people enjoy being "seperate" if you will from what they percieve to be mainstream society when infact theyre just joining another society in their hopes of being individuals when in fact theyre all dressing and talking the same
I couldn't agree more. I find it pretty funny when people try to be indiviudals, but just wind up becoming "emo" instead and can't even admit it to themselves. I'm all for individuality and doing what you want for yourself. I listen to MCR not cause its "separate" but because they really help me get to konw myself better.

I can understand how someone can say MCR saved their life, but I also think its a bit extream. If I had only grown up with the lame pop and rap music that our generation justs accepts as cool, I would be really depressed, and not understand who I am. Then to just stumble on MCR, it would have honestly turned my world on end, and really saved me cause I would have found myself then.

Different sitiuation; if someone is suicidal, and they randomly hear Famous Last Words or WTTPB, I can totally see how that message could shock them in to a new, more positive life style.

well its kinda wrong to perceive one instance and style of music to be superior to the other, rap music is just as much an art form as rock music, "spitting fire" is no less technically difficult than singing. good rap music, minus that souljah boy or anyone else like that, is a medium that successfully chronicles the african american plight, i mean even 2pac spoke about police brutality and the cyclic nature of gang life which in my opinion weighs more heavily than any other present day pop punk piece of crap being pumped out on mtv that people perceive to be "better"

you cant fully appreciate music until you have sampled every single morsel in the feast which is the musical spectrum, offers you.
i cant claim to have done this, but as a musician its easy to get bored listening to just rock music, in fact rock music has become stale of late, most if not all bands are cannibalizing each others sound and throwing it out onto the top forty .

and yeah i understand that therapy isnt the end all to problems but , its a stark contrast to sitting in a room with a stack of my chemical romance cds. in the broad spectrum of things my chemical romance is a band pointed at a demographic and it doesn't cover everyone, and not everyone takes the same message out of it. you could listen to it and hear a message of hope another person whos less my chem minded could hear another slury of cooperate rock music engulfing teens.

Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
June 3rd, 2008 at 06:55pm
^ Quite true, it all depends on the individual that hears the music.

Well I never really got into rap, I never was one to go along with something because others tell me to and I have always been painfully trapped in the 60's. MCR is the ONLY contemporary stuff I listen to. Yeah I'm sure there's other stuff out there, but its all I've really gotten into so far. I can respect rap per-say (Run DMC knew what they were doin) but now its like 99% is just lame. Its just a bunch of faceless kids all lookin to get rich by rhyming vulgarity together. Hardly any music talent is involved now and if you go to one school dance, you've heard all there is to hear in the rap realm. I don't think the problem today is bad taste in music, there isn't any taste. In my experience, kids who aren't totally obsessed musically like myself just listen to whats on MTV and accept it to be cool, just cause they want to fit in and feel cool swearing alot. If you find yourself gettin tired of rock today, which I totally understand, maybe try goin back in time a little. No body has heard Hendirx until they've heard him live, (Woodstock is simply mind blowing) and even before that are all the old delta blues players. Theres nothin like hearin the originals who started it all. ~ Rex
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
June 4th, 2008 at 03:52am

Firstly i happen to be well versed in hendrix, and the sixties infact i ahve a cd collection that has music that goes back into the fifties, im a musician by trade so to speak.

but if you say rap is a bunch of faceless kids threading vulgarity together the same could be said about any genre, every emo band on the market now looks and sounds exactly the same. and vulgarity isnt necissarily a bad thing without vulgarity the sex pistols would be nothing but four dudes who cant play properly.
there is so much technical skill into producing a rap record, the mixing takes forever the producing of the beats and setting tempos to line up are a nightmare. people juts assume cos its not a band its technically easy but its just as demanding as any musician.

i think hendrix is really an ordinary player, i mean hes grear and ail i just think his success lies soley on the fact he died before his time.

IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
June 4th, 2008 at 06:50am
mindfuck.:
I agree with Faye Merci, and indeed MigRacer. I usually refer to it as 'creating one's own misery', whereby an individual places themselves in a victimized position, but then complains and tries to "rebel" against it. In this case, I can see there are some MCR fans who do this (not referring to anyone on this thread per se, but just talking about fans in general). They dress stereotypically 'emo', put on a persona that suggests a hard life i.e depression, anxiety etc, and try to be 'different' (but end up looking like everyone else), but then get upset when someone calls them emo and conformist. Honestly.

perhaps they are doing it to hide the fact that they actually are depressed, to make people think that they are just pretending, so people don't ask too many questions.
Also, maybe being 'emo' is a way that they can fit it, without having to change too much.

I think it is a little but hard to say all 'emos' do this, that and the other, because I know a lot of people that fit into the 'emo' category, but they aren't depressed, they don't pretend to be, they just like the style. I think that a lot of younger kids see it as being 'cool' and 'rebellious', and so they try to be 'emo', and they give it a bad name so to speak. They think that to be 'emo', you have to cut yourself, and try to kill yourself, and mope around all the time, when actually, you don't.

'Emo' in it's purest sense has been around for ages, I mean I know that when I was in elementary school, what I thought of as 'goth' was actually 'emo', only now, it's kind of got polluted, and warped, and it isn't real anymore. It's something different. It hasn't become a 'cult', because a cult involves mass belief of something, and not all 'emo kids' believe that when you die you go to 'the great Black Parade in the sky', so it can't be a cult. It has been given a bad rep by all the pre-teens that see the older kids (who might actually be depressed, etc) and they look up to them, and try to be like them, and so you get this group of children screwing themselves up, because they think it is 'cool'. I think what I am trying to say, is that with not everyone that can be classed as 'emo' is the depression, the anxiety, the various other complaints, an act. It is real for some people, but for others it is an act, and nobody should assume that everyone in a certain social group is the same, because their not.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
June 4th, 2008 at 07:01am
MigRacer:

but if you say rap is a bunch of faceless kids threading vulgarity together the same could be said about any genre, every emo band on the market now looks and sounds exactly the same.

that is why they fit into the genre 'emo'. Most pop records sound pretty similar, especially all the girl bands out there. Things can be classed into a genre because they sound similar. They don't all sound exactly the same, because if they did, I would like all of them, rather than just a few. I will admit that a lot of Panic at the Disco's stuff sounds scarily like Fall Out Boy, but not all bands sound exactly the same.

And My Chem isn't emo, it is heavier. Music that gets dumped into the 'emo' category is stuff that generally would be technically classed as pop-punk or alternative&punk (basically kiddy rock), where as My Chem is classed under alternative rock or just plain rock or even in hmv 'metal that rocks'
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
June 4th, 2008 at 07:08am
ChipmunkOnKetamine:

perhaps they are doing it to hide the fact that they actually are depressed, to make people think that they are just pretending, so people don't ask too many questions.
Also, maybe being 'emo' is a way that they can fit it, without having to change too much.

I think it is a little but hard to say all 'emos' do this, that and the other, because I know a lot of people that fit into the 'emo' category, but they aren't depressed, they don't pretend to be, they just like the style. I think that a lot of younger kids see it as being 'cool' and 'rebellious', and so they try to be 'emo', and they give it a bad name so to speak. They think that to be 'emo', you have to cut yourself, and try to kill yourself, and mope around all the time, when actually, you don't.

'Emo' in it's purest sense has been around for ages, I mean I know that when I was in elementary school, what I thought of as 'goth' was actually 'emo', only now, it's kind of got polluted, and warped, and it isn't real anymore. It's something different. It hasn't become a 'cult', because a cult involves mass belief of something, and not all 'emo kids' believe that when you die you go to 'the great Black Parade in the sky', so it can't be a cult. It has been given a bad rep by all the pre-teens that see the older kids (who might actually be depressed, etc) and they look up to them, and try to be like them, and so you get this group of children screwing themselves up, because they think it is 'cool'. I think what I am trying to say, is that with not everyone that can be classed as 'emo' is the depression, the anxiety, the various other complaints, an act. It is real for some people, but for others it is an act, and nobody should assume that everyone in a certain social group is the same, because their not.

I never actually said that all emos act like that. What I did say, was that "I can see there are some MCR fans who do this.... They dress stereotypically 'emo', put on a persona that suggests a hard life i.e depression, anxiety etc".

I was referring to some emos who happen to like My Chemical Romance - I wasn't saying all emos "act depressed".

Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
June 4th, 2008 at 07:17am
ChipmunkOnKetamine:

And My Chem isn't emo, it is heavier. Music that gets dumped into the 'emo' category is stuff that generally would be technically classed as pop-punk or alternative&punk (basically kiddy rock), where as My Chem is classed under alternative rock or just plain rock or even in hmv 'metal that rocks'

Think about it though; if you look at MCR's image, it's easy to see how they get lumped in the emo category;

- Wear a lot of black? Check.
- Most of them used to wear / do wear makeup? Check.
- At least one of them wears skinny jeans? Check.
- At least one of them straightens their hair? Check.
- Songs about being misunderstood? Check.
- Songs about death? Check.

I'm not an advocate for calling MCR emo. I have never done that. But there are some stereotypes you cannot ignore. If a band writes about death, then they are going to be associated with the emo and gothic subcultures. Similarly for the way they dress, the way their hair is cut, etc.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
June 4th, 2008 at 10:54am
^ I wasn't saying that you said that all emos were depressed, and stuff, but I was saying that a lot of people think that. I merely quoted you to give an example of someone voicing something along those lines.

I can see how My Chem get called emo, but a lot of people through the term 'emo' around, without really listening to the music. They look at the image not the music. I mean, if a rapper dressed in black skinny jeans, eyeliner, etc, and sung about death, then some people would probably call them 'emo', without listening to their music.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
June 4th, 2008 at 10:54am
dp
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
June 4th, 2008 at 11:31am
yeah he would get labelled emo.

but my chemical romance is a band that plays heavily on their image and you cant help but notice all the dark imagery, its just part of how t his particular band works.
i
gazelles.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
gazelles.
June 4th, 2008 at 02:06pm
Faye Merci:
Warning: this is an aside argument. It isn't a random tangent, it is relevant. However, this does not have to do with Hannah Bond. I am not asking if MCR fans enjoy being accused of causing suicide. Please read on.

Am I the only one who feels that most MCR fans inject themselves with indignance and outcast themselves? I'm saying that I doubt "emo" kids want to be accepted, that's why they set themselves aside in the first place. If they wanted to be accepted, they'd do what was socially and normally accepted and normal and listen to mainstream (though we can't exactly say MCR isn't popular) music. Blatantly protesting about being called a certain thing, but proving that you may be that certain thing is sort of self-inflicting behavior. So, the question I'm asking:

Do you think mcr fans enjoy being victimized in a sense, because they chose to set themselves on the stand as victims? Do they enjoy being "outcasts"?

I think so.

edit: If my post offends you and you want to know what I'm talking about, please say. I'll further elaborate.

I know this is going back a page and all, but I saw this in the morning and didn't have time to reply to it then, so I'm replying now.

Alright, for one, let me just say that I am one of the teenagers who most people consider "emo", despite the fact that I, in no way, act depressed or any of that crap. I don't pretend to be unhappy -- quite the opposite, in fact. Never, at any point, have I made my life out to be terrible and difficult, because I know very well that I have a pretty damn easy life. So, why do I dress the way I do and listen to the type of music I do? Because I. Like. It. It has nothing to do with "fitting in" with any subculture. It's just who I am, and I think that I should have a right to listen to what I want and dress the way I want without having to be yelled at out of car windows everytime I walk down the street by people who know absolutely nothing about me. Yes, in a way, it is a self-inflicted misery, because if I dressed like a "normal" kid and listened to "normal" music, nobody would yell at me. But my question is, why should I have to? Why should anybody have to hide who they are, just to avoid being patronized? Furthermore, along with the stereotype of "emo" comes a certain set of traits that people automatically associate with it, most of which are negative. What gives them (people in general) the right to tell someone else who they are, just because of the way they dress? It strips away individuality.

Admittedly, there are some "emos" who fall in perfectly with the stereotype on purpose, in an attempt to stand out or some other crap. In which case, yes, I'd say that they have no right to be indignant about being called "emo" when they act out the stereotype so perfectly. Hell, it's kids like this who started "emo" as a stereotype, because it sure wasn't one to begin with. Emo's a dead scene, and has been dead since the 1990's. It's a genre of music -- "emo" stands for "emotional hardcore", which is not in any way like the music that most people consider now to be "emo". My Chemical Romance is nowhere close to being emo -- they're a rock band, plain and simple. Yes, I can see why they are labelled as what it is now considered "emo", but that does not excuse the incredibly false assumptions that people make about them.
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
June 4th, 2008 at 02:22pm
Just what exactly is ordinary about Hendrix?
It should be noted;
He played the guitar with his teeth, tongue, between his legs, behind his back, above his head and with one hand. He also was on the cutting edge of the psychedelic scene in Britain. There he was also acclaimed by Clapton, Townsend, Jeff Beck and the Beatles as absolutely an amazing musician; they were all blown away by his originality. I'm also a little confused how you can call someone who raped their guitar, set it on fire and then smashed it to pieces on stage "tame." You don't have to like him if he doesn't do it for you, but I do hope you can respect his talent, image and die-hard fans (me.)

Yeah but so much of rap is the same, I mean what more can they do? They already rhymed "ball" with "crawl", now what? And really, how many more songs can you write about having sex? As far as the mixes go, my heart bleeds for who ever creates them, cause as far as I'm concerned they're pretty much ignored. All the rap I've ever come across is just a basic beat that repeats constantly with the same chorus along with a few mix-ups for different verses, thats pretty much it. If you like it fine, but I gotta say your the first conousre of music I've ever met who can defend rap as interesting and good.

And yes, I totally agree with you about the emo bands, they are all the same. For years I steered clear of anything contemporary for I new it wasn't gonna be my thing. Thats why MCR is so amazing, and why I really got into them. I love there individuality and message. They are pretty different from everything else I've seen around these days. Yeah I hear you bout the dark imagry, but MCR is so much bigger then "emo." I group them in with more of a "shock rock" kinda feel. I mean Alice Cooper pretty much invented the whole death image, and hes not emo in my book.
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
June 4th, 2008 at 05:33pm
I've noticed several things I'd like to comment on, so instead of addressing individuals, I'm just going to use numbers.

1. Emo Music and Image
I never said I thought MCR was emo. On the contrary, I'm a firm believer that the term emo really is shit. It's meaningless drabble attached to a select few by ignorant people. I know when the original emotional music occurred, so a lesson isn't necessary. I'm actually quite a big music buff.

2. Emo Kids
Also, I said nothing about "all" emo kids being depressed. I asked if they enjoyed being apart from the sect. To paint such a broad stroke and assume all emos were depressed would be stupid - I assure you, I'm not stupid.

3. Rap v.s. Rock
Honestly, I wonder how this got onto the topic, but whatevs. Tangents are a necessity sometimes. I can see how someone who appreciates Hendrix would not appreciate rap. But what you need to realize is that rap, (yes, all rap, even ghetto rap, the kind played on the radio) comes from the same roots as rock. They were both formed by african americans (no, Elvis was not the inventor of rock, I'm afraid.) and influenced by jazz, blues, and african rhythms. Rap and Rock are very similar cousins who happen to hate each other. Even though it seems all rap songs are about sex or gangster life (they aren't) it seems to a lot of people that all rock songs are about death, breaking up, or the typical three (sex, drugs, rock n' roll). That's a pretty basic thing to limit rock music to. So imagine how badly rap is limited. It's not a one way street.

4. MCR is emo?
I actually think MCR fits the bill of a typical emo band, if emo was a legit thing, that is. But since I believe that emo is just a bullshit label, I don't think they are. So, you might ask, what do I think of "emo" bands now? The bands that say they're emo? I think they're pop. Sure, they're wearing black and singing about darker stuff. So the typical popstar stopped shopping at abercrombie and went to hot topic. It's no different. It's just an image. But it's STILL pop. Meaningless, pop-ish, mainstream, over-produced crap. There isn't such thing as emo, in my book.
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
June 4th, 2008 at 09:47pm
Faye Merci:
But what you need to realize is that rap, (yes, all rap, even ghetto rap, the kind played on the radio) comes from the same roots as rock. They were both formed by african americans (no, Elvis was not the inventor of rock, I'm afraid.) and influenced by jazz, blues, and african rhythms. Rap and Rock are very similar cousins who happen to hate each other. Even though it seems all rap songs are about sex or gangster life (they aren't) it seems to a lot of people that all rock songs are about death, breaking up, or the typical three (sex, drugs, rock n' roll). That's a pretty basic thing to limit rock music to. So imagine how badly rap is limited. It's not a one way street.

I agree they both have african american roots, and yes Elivis cannot be compared to people like Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry. But I've never considered jazz or blues to have influenced rap. Yes, its all about moving with the music while expressing yourself, but its not like rap artists listen to Muddy Waters and then go from there, it seams to be more of a general influence in the sense of progression, not a personal one.

Well I honestly gotta say I'm not a fan of rap cause it seams so increadibly one dementional to me. Its nice to go to dances and feel the music (and watch every girl in school turn into a turbo slut for a few hours Smile) But other then thouse few times I could really care less. I mean show me a rap song that; incluedes heavy illusions to poetry, literature or mythology. Crazy imaginative imagery, or an extensive naritive or mulit-song story, or protest of world affairs, or uplifting positive messages. If there are any, there sure are few, the list of rock songs is quite long ~ Rex
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
June 4th, 2008 at 10:17pm
KingRex:

Well I honestly gotta say I'm not a fan of rap cause it seams so increadibly one dementional to me. Its nice to go to dances and feel the music (and watch every girl in school turn into a turbo slut for a few hours Smile) But other then thouse few times I could really care less. I mean show me a rap song that; incluedes heavy illusions to poetry, literature or mythology. Crazy imaginative imagery, or an extensive naritive or mulit-song story, or protest of world affairs, or uplifting positive messages. If there are any, there sure are few, the list of rock songs is quite long ~ Rex

I think what you are describing is mainstream, bubblegum rap. I personally am not a major fan of rap myself, but I do like some underground rap. Namely Australian rap. I don't listen to American rap because I can't really stand it. But there are rappers out there who see it as a way to express themselves poetically. And yes, even some of them rap about world affairs (shock horror, eh?). Not all rappers rap about bitches, sluts and hoes.
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
June 4th, 2008 at 10:36pm
mindfuck.:
I think what you are describing is mainstream, bubblegum rap. I personally am not a major fan of rap myself, but I do like some underground rap. Namely Australian rap. I don't listen to American rap because I can't really stand it. But there are rappers out there who see it as a way to express themselves poetically. And yes, even some of them rap about world affairs (shock horror, eh?). Not all rappers rap about bitches, sluts and hoes.
ah, super-soaking them hoes.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
June 5th, 2008 at 07:11am
this whole conversation has nothing to do with the march anymore. Either keep on topic or I'll lock it. There is a thread now for music. Thanks.
JadeTiger712
Motor Baby
JadeTiger712
June 5th, 2008 at 08:56am
Is there an exact number as to how many people showed up? I looked for the website but the link wasn't working