Daily Mail respond to My Chemical Romance emo marchers

AuthorMessage
Glitterlust
Salute You in Your Grave
Glitterlust
June 3rd, 2008 at 01:24pm
Mrs.Halloween:

http://www.audiojunkies.net/
i think this is the source of the 'documentary' that's being planned/made..

Fake Fight:
Current TV was thinking of doing a documentary/special type thing on it.

ahh thankyou :]
i get it now x]
mental_scottish_lass
Joining The Black Parade
mental_scottish_lass
June 3rd, 2008 at 01:59pm
ww this made me nearly cry i am so proud of everyone who did the march and im sorry i couldnt make it, i live in scotland and cant really afford it but im soo happy ...ive written to the DM and im so proud of everyone well done guys !!!!!
I love you all so much you tell them......
Think we could do one in scotland next ? xxx Razz
jadepansy459
Thinking Happy Thoughts
jadepansy459
June 3rd, 2008 at 02:23pm
im proud of everyone who came and supported.
i was so proud to be there and apart of it.
and a load of press were there.
who bets it'll be in kerrang and NME tomorrow??
WOOP.
we done those boys proud Wink
The Kooks.
Really Not Okay
The Kooks.
June 3rd, 2008 at 03:15pm
MTV posted a thing about the protest.

They said

'Over the weekend, My Chemical Romance fans staged a protest outside the Daily Mail offices in London, after the tabloid blamed the band for the suicide of an MCR fan. One-thousand people said they’d show, but only about 40 made it to the protest .'

The site they linked to is one that is part of the 'bad press' as I call it.

Source: here
The Apocalypse.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Apocalypse.
June 3rd, 2008 at 03:58pm
The protest was awesome. i had so much fun and met loads of cool new people.

I was on the guardian.co.uk rolling on floor in a cound bite. i sound like a man and stumble once or twice rolling on floor
Me(and others)

and here are some photos
Link
Day Of The Dead
Salute You in Your Grave
Day Of The Dead
June 3rd, 2008 at 04:04pm
Okay, there were way more than 40! Geez!!

It was awesome!! But I can't find the sound bite me and my friend did on X-fm, does anyone know where they would be??

Protest rocked and I'm glad my chem knows!! We are the best fans in the world!!
x x x
desert skies.
Shotgun Sinner
desert skies.
June 3rd, 2008 at 08:56pm
I really wish I could have been there.
Of course, the distance was quite a problem xD

I'm really proud of everyone who went though. It shows you just how amazing and dedicated MCR fans are : D
Norrel
Jazz Hands
Norrel
June 3rd, 2008 at 09:19pm
I love how Anon lived up to their word more than the fans did.
Because if supposedly only 40 people came out of 1000 people, then wow.
Anon is win.

Sorry if I'm giving off the feel that I'm anti-MCR, but I've just been against the protest ever since it was mentioned. It sounded like some wanna-be wanting to create an event in history.

MCR is given lots of negative tags and labels, as are other bands, for example, Fall Out Boy. Yet, I don't remember hearing about a protest for them. Do you?

And also, with headlines about the protest, even now with it done and over with, still throwing in the word "emo", this whole protest didn't do anything except give Anon & kids who tip lyk dis(and you know what kid of people I'm talking about.. starts with a T and ends in an E) something to do. At least it got them out of the house.

Seriously, what someone should have said to the girl who thought of all this: "Deal with it. MCR isn't the only band who has to go through this BS".

If you don't agree with me, and your disagreement is going contain phrases like "YOU SUCK" and "WHAT KIND OF FAN ARE YOU", then please don't bother, or at least send it to me in a message so the rest of the board doesn't have to see it (for your own good, not mine).
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
June 3rd, 2008 at 09:37pm
The girl who put the protest together posts here and is a friend to several of us. On her behalf, I'd ask you to be a little more open-minded. You sound like you're trying to pick a fight, which no one will appreciate.

She had passion about something and acted on it. There were more than 40 people in multiple locations around London. From what I've seen and read, fewer than 40 Anon showed up, and ended up joining the protest.

You have every right to think whatever you would like to think about the protest, but I would like for you to think about how you phrase things, knowing that what you have said can and probably will be taken hurtfully.

Anni stood up for something. I think that's great. Whether or not you believe in her reasons, the fact that she did something is amazing.

Please see my other, more involved post about a third of the way down this page.
a day to remember.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
a day to remember.
June 3rd, 2008 at 09:39pm
I see where you're going. Previously, I thought the protest had been a bit over-the-top, but now I realize it probably was the best thing they could have done. making comments to the daily mail isn't going to get anywhere; they would just make more articles about how My chemical Romance is a armed group of terrorists trying to take over the world by eliminating the teenage population or something like that. >_>

My Chemical Romance is incredibly amazing, and if people got past the 'emo' look associated with them, they could make a huge difference.

There are probably better things to protest about. But maybe, if My Chemical Romance fans started protesting for their favorite band, maybe they would start helping in other ways too - who knows?
Norrel
Jazz Hands
Norrel
June 3rd, 2008 at 10:01pm
Thanks for sensible replys. Especially yours The Fatality, your post is probably the best thing I've read tonight. My idea of creating a protest over something like your favorite band being labeled something they are entirely not is a bit child-ish, and as you said, "over-the-top", and just drove more attention to the whole "scene".

I don't hate Anni for standing up for MCR, but a whole protest I think WASN'T the best way to do it, especially with ignorance being on the high to the scene. The protest unfortunately didn't change haters of MCR or even give Daily Mail a "come to jesus" moment. And if a protest couldn't do it, I'm not sure what can now.
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
June 3rd, 2008 at 11:33pm
^ Whether it "worked" or not I still think its way cool that many kids took the time and enerygy to congregate under one cause, no matter how insignificant you think it is. Hats off to everyone who participated
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
June 3rd, 2008 at 11:59pm
Norrel:
MCR is given lots of negative tags and labels, as are other bands...Yet, I don't remember hearing about a protest for them. Do you?

I understand what you're saying, but I think (and correct me if I'm wrong, organizers, but I don't think that I am, as I watched this go down from just starting out as a casual conversation on INO to a full out protest - really it was more of a boycott) that the demonstration was not so much about MCR per se as it was about irresponsible journalism and exploitation.

Sure, as fans the participants wanted to put out the correct message that the band is trying to send, and show the world that they have been helped and not hindered by listening to their music. However, what The Daily Mail really did is exploit the suffering of these two parents in order to further their own agenda - one they've had since at least mid-2006, when their first anti-emo piece was written (and it was that piece that Gerard responded to in the "Fuck the Daily Mail" video, not the Hannah Bond segments.)

What The Daily Mail did is stereotype children, further perpetuating the sort of narrowminded fear that led to the murder of Sophie Lancaster. What The Daily Mail did is terrify other parents by informing them that their children are at risk of being sucked into a cult that encourages self-harm just by listening to a certain type of music or wearing a certain type of attire. Those pieces were alarmist, grossly misinformed and extremely biased. Journalism like this must be called to task. It's irresponsible, and it's abuse of power.
kid from yesterday.
Bleeding on the Floor
kid from yesterday.
June 4th, 2008 at 12:08am
And unfortunately, seeing how the Daily Mail is too up their asses, they still think their writing skills are so super factual and their research on The Black Parade too hxc for their own good.

Bleargh. Although I never actually thought they'd admit they were wrong. But still - it doesn't fail to blow my mind how defensive they can get over their stupidity. It's like saying, "But no! We did not write that! It's a figment of your imagination!" Sigh.
keep on living.
Shotgun Sinner
keep on living.
June 4th, 2008 at 01:19am
KingRex:
^ Whether it "worked" or not I still think its way cool that many kids took the time and enerygy to congregate under one cause, no matter how insignificant you think it is. Hats off to everyone who participated

Agreed.
This is an example of kids standing up for something they believe in and care about, a cause that means something to them on a personal level ...
Sure, they may not be solving world hunger or anything. But I'm proud of all you people who weren't afraid to get out there, put your foot down and stand up for something that mattered to you.
Three Cheers!
jadepansy459
Thinking Happy Thoughts
jadepansy459
June 4th, 2008 at 08:18am
i think that maybe parts of it are kindof childish and are done because.. MCR are their favourite band and everyone wants to be seen standing up for them...

but the whole point of it all is to change peoples views on 'emo' not just MCR... obviously alot of the fans were there to defend my chem.. and tell the world that they are NOT inflicting any kind of self harm or suicide.. but... the other reason was to defend THEMSELVES over what people label THEM as.
Not just the band
Jenny.
Jenny.
June 4th, 2008 at 10:35am
Norrel:
Anon is win.

Sorry if I'm giving off the feel that I'm anti-MCR, but I've just been against the protest ever since it was mentioned. It sounded like some wanna-be wanting to create an event in history.

MCR is given lots of negative tags and labels, as are other bands, for example, Fall Out Boy. Yet, I don't remember hearing about a protest for them. Do you?

And also, with headlines about the protest, even now with it done and over with, still throwing in the word "emo", this whole protest didn't do anything except give Anon & kids who tip lyk dis(and you know what kid of people I'm talking about.. starts with a T and ends in an E) something to do. At least it got them out of the house.

Seriously, what someone should have said to the girl who thought of all this: "Deal with it. MCR isn't the only band who has to go through this BS".

If you don't agree with me, and your disagreement is going contain phrases like "YOU SUCK" and "WHAT KIND OF FAN ARE YOU", then please don't bother, or at least send it to me in a message so the rest of the board doesn't have to see it (for your own good, not mine).

1)How did Anon live up to their word? Their word was to 'pwn the emofags'...All they did was join in and start a conga line. Wow, how threatening. We managed to unite people; there were a lot of people who didn't like MCR but turned up because they don't think it's right that MCR have been blamed for this.

2) We weren't trying to make a mark in history; it would be amazing if we did, but it really doesn't bother us. We were just trying to speak out and have our say.

3) FOB fans are very welcome to do a protest, they just choose not to. We chose to. We wanted to.

4) Hey, we gave them something to do, I'm happy. It benefited someone.

5) Thanks, I'll pass on the message to myself and the other four.

We wanted to stand up for what we believe in, we did. We wanted to do it, it's already done, there's nothing that can be done about that. It's something we want to do, if you don't like it, fine, but that message sounds awfully like you're trying to pick a fight, as someone else has said.

I'd also like to let you know that the fans there were not fans hu tip lyk dis. Stereotype is the exact thing we're trying to stop here.
gazelles.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
gazelles.
June 4th, 2008 at 02:21pm
Norrel:
Anon is win.

First of all, from what I've heard from the organizers and other people who attended the protest, there were roughly 200 people of there, 40 of which who were in front of the Daily Mail office. They couldn't do the protest there because there wasn't enough space. The Anons also didn't do anything, other than join in the conga line.

And as for point 2? Well, that's the FOB's fans' problem, isn't it? If they want to go organize a protest, power to them. Furthermore, FOB has not, in any way, shape, or form, been accused of being a "suicide cult" in the media. Yes, a lot of people think they're "emo" and that they suck, but that's nowhere near being accused of being responsible for the death of a girl, especially when the band has worked very hard to do the exact opposite.
The Kooks.
Really Not Okay
The Kooks.
June 4th, 2008 at 02:26pm
^ Exactly.

I agree completely with Tabitha, KingRex, Deb, the big bang theory, demolition.loverxx, ben bernanke, and I Am A Graveyard.

You all have said exactly what I thought (:
Day Of The Dead
Salute You in Your Grave
Day Of The Dead
June 4th, 2008 at 04:21pm
Ditto to that!

Norrel. You may have personally thought it was a bad idea..but ya know? We'd be had a go at for just sitting on our arses not oing anything about it.
I think it was a great idea. We all united..even the people in Anon..they turned out to be pretty friendly with us. We made them join us and they did so. That was a main point of the whole thing. To show people we know how to unite.

I love Anni for setting this up becaue it was for what we believed in. <3

I respect your point of view but I did think it was a little 'in your face'.
x x