Don't have an account? Create one!

Music

AuthorMessage
bellamurte
Killjoy
bellamurte
April 30th, 2009 at 05:42am
I don't think music saves lives as such.
I suppose I'm another rider on the "My Chemical Romance Saved My Life" Bandwagon, because I do use that phrase.
I'll elaborate a little. -apologies for going slightly off topic but it all comes back round-
At the beginning of 2007 I tried to kill myself. For reasons that will take half the day to explain. I left the house with two things, my MP3 player -which I hadn't touched in months, because I'd lost interest in music, and everything else around me- and a rope.
I walked to a bridge not far from where I lived -it was late and I didn't want to be disturbed- I'd plugged my MP3 player in so I would have something to distract me if...I didn't break anything. As I walked towards the bridge the track changed, to a song I'd probably heard before but never payed enough attention to.
Now every word and lyric at that exact point in time was so appropriate that when I reached the railings, with tears running down my face, I lent against them and slowly dropped the rope into the river.
The song was Famous Last Words.
There are a few ways you could probably look at that. Saying that a song "saved my life" is the easiest way to explain to people who just don't understand.
You could say, maybe I never had the balls to do it in the first place, because if I really wanted to kill myself I'd have done it regardless. You'd have been better asking me that nearly three years ago. Because now I probably cant explain to you, I don't have the answer. I think now, it's not that I wanted to die, I just never realized I was alive.
If that even makes sense.

Maybe saying <insert band name here> saved my life isn't so much a statement of a suicide attempt, or Gerard way gaining a medical degree and superpowers over night, it's a simple explanation to the people who don't understand, and a deeper story for the people who do.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
April 30th, 2009 at 09:54am
bellamurte:
it's not that I wanted to die, I just never realized I was alive.
That was a beautiful way to put it; bless you <hugs>
awaiting dawn
Killjoy
awaiting dawn
May 24th, 2009 at 02:31pm
Music, in my life, helps a bunch. It helps me express myself, for 1. It also makes me feel better if I've had a bad day. But in the qoute "MCR saved my life" I think it is just an exaggeration. MCR might have helped in a big way but not totally saved u. I think music is a very important part of life! Thanks 4 starting this thread!
xxtoryxx
Killjoy
xxtoryxx
May 30th, 2009 at 10:27pm
Music influences alot of people but music does help upbeet songs make people happy, sadsongs make people sad, emo songs make people feel emo, you no different songs do different things, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
xxtoryxx
Killjoy
xxtoryxx
Music influences alot of people but music does help upbeet songs make people happy, sadsongs make people sad, emo songs make people feel emo, you no different songs do different things, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
xxtoryxx
Killjoy
xxtoryxx
xxtoryxx
Killjoy
xxtoryxx
xxtoryxx
Killjoy
xxtoryxx
xxtoryxx
Killjoy
xxtoryxx
Music influences alot of people but music does help upbeet songs make people happy, sadsongs make people sad, emo songs make people feel emo, you no different songs do different things, Very Happy
xxtoryxx
Killjoy
xxtoryxx
Music influences alot of people but music does help upbeet songs make people happy, sadsongs make people sad, emo songs make people feel emo, you no different songs do different things, Very Happy
Happy in the rain
Salute You in Your Grave
Happy in the rain
June 11th, 2009 at 06:50pm
To me music is whatever you want it to be.
I think that music can make you feel different things depending on the song.
I think music can help you express youself be it through the way the melody makes you feel or just the lyrics influencing how you feel..
I don't however think that music can make you do things such as "listening to 'emo' music makes you suicidal" << that is a bull
I think music can be interperated how you want to interperate it and can relate to things or feelings you want it to.
I think music can be or mean whatever you want it to.
iheartthrobsy
Killjoy
iheartthrobsy
June 18th, 2009 at 03:01am
Thug Life.:

Remembering that Hendrix, Clapton and all the beatles were high on pcp when they al thought of these love in concepts.
so the question i pose to you rex is in any other situation would you trust what a person doped on drugs says ?

i mean i respect hendrix immensly me being a guitarist and all but i dont think ide go any further to say its my life.

just from personal experience some of the smartest things i've ever heard have come from the mouths of intoxicated people. (i don't take drugs) & i don't condone taking drugs btw.
spiderpig-
Really Not Okay
spiderpig-
June 19th, 2009 at 05:13am
well, basically, music can cure and ruin your life . that is how big the impact is .

like, when you're happy, thewn you listen to a very very sad depressing song, wuldn't that make you sad too ?
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
June 19th, 2009 at 06:52am
machinesrant.:
well, basically, music can cure and ruin your life . that is how big the impact is .

like, when you're happy, thewn you listen to a very very sad depressing song, wuldn't that make you sad too ?

It wouldn't necessarily make me sad, but if it was a moving song I would feel some empathy for what the song is talking about, but it wouldn't ruin my mood or anything.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
June 19th, 2009 at 05:14pm
Faraday:

It wouldn't necessarily make me sad, but if it was a moving song I would feel some empathy for what the song is talking about, but it wouldn't ruin my mood or anything.

I agree, but then I also think that music doesnt have the power to become almost like an anti depressant, i think you do that your self.

Don't get me wrong, I think music can provide the motivation but you yourself are the one who helps yourself.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
June 20th, 2009 at 10:35am
John St. John:

Don't get me wrong, I think music can provide the motivation but you yourself are the one who helps yourself.
[/font][/size]

Exactly. Music is the idea, the inspiration, but you yourself is where the action and the change comes from.
chasing dragonflies.
Killjoy
chasing dragonflies.
June 30th, 2009 at 12:51pm
questionable content:
John St. John:

[/font][/size]

Exactly. Music is the idea, the inspiration, but you yourself is where the action and the change comes from.

Bumping this a bit, because this is something I feel so strongly about.
Firstly I want to comment on the quote up there. Yes, Music can be your inspiration and motivation, but you yourself are the person that saves yourself. However I do feel that "Music/a certain band saved my life." is a perfectly relevant quote. It indirectly saves you. The band can't physically walk up to you and stop you from doing something, it's impossible. But music can be there for you in your hour of need. You just need to look deeper than how it sounds sometimes.
That's why it irritates me, well, not exactly irritates me as such, but I feel like I can't listen to what the majority of people listen to. It's all either about sex, or partying. Fair enough if people like that, and all they want out of music is something to dance to, good for them. I just want more than that. Something that gives me a voice when I need it most. To know that others have broken down in the same way I have, and that they made it through. I get scared sometimes that I wont, but it's bands like My Chem that showed me that I can, and I will. I changed since I started listening to MCR, just over two years ago. I think differently. I see things I never used to see before, like myself with a purpose, how beautiful the little things can be. And it gives me hope.
That's not to say I won't have bad times. I will. But it's because of the music that I see them through. I honestly think I would be nothing if it weren't for some of my favourite bands, and I don't think I could do it without them. <./soppy>
xxZalanortxx
Killjoy
xxZalanortxx
July 3rd, 2009 at 05:22pm
At one time I was contemplating suicide, then I listened to Welcome To The Black Parade, and I thought someone finally understands me. Music is a form of medicine to the mind. MCR is my Tylonol
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 5th, 2009 at 02:56am
xxZalanortxx:
At one time I was contemplating suicide, then I listened to Welcome To The Black Parade, and I thought someone finally understands me. Music is a form of medicine to the mind. MCR is my Tylonol

Wikipedia:
Tylenol is a North American brand of drugs for relieving pain, reducing fever, and relieving the symptoms of allergies, cold, cough, and flu.

They can do that? Amazing. I guess whenever I have a headache I can just listen to MCR instead of taking medicine.
If listening to a song changed your mind about suicide then I don't think you would have gone through with it regardless. Not to be unsympathetic, music can be very comforting and therapeutic but it isn't a magical cure-all.
chasing dragonflies.
Killjoy
chasing dragonflies.
July 5th, 2009 at 06:36am
Faraday:
If listening to a song changed your mind about suicide then I don't think you would have gone through with it regardless. Not to be unsympathetic, music can be very comforting and therapeutic but it isn't a magical cure-all.

I do agree to this to some extent, but I think alot of the time, these people don't really want to die, they're just calling out for help. If they die in the process, well, they're dead then, they can't regret it.