Don't have an account? Create one!

Music

AuthorMessage
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
December 20th, 2008 at 11:11am
accessorised bones.:
bands like cannibal corpse have some pretty horrible lyrics.
To be fair, CC is merely embodying the attitude of a war machine in their lyrics. Iron Maiden was no less graphic - in fact I remember distinctly the first time my mother heard "2 Minutes to Midnight" on the radio and gasped "Did that man just say 'children torn in TWO?'"

I understand what everyone is getting at, but I still say let people say whatever they want. If they feel that music inspired them to heal, to grow, to do great things...or to rape, to kill, whatever, that's their interpretation, you know?

The band has stated that they are trying to save your life with the lyrics, yes, because there are messages of hope in there, but it unfortunately doesn't work for everybody (remember Hannah Bond?) At the end of the day, it's how you personally process everything that determines what you are going to do with your life.

Some people are not wired to take lives, some are. There is no song in the world that can ultimately effect a change to that wiring, but I do think there are people who are trying to work up the courage to kill themselves but really would like to be stopped, and in their case, sure the comfort they were seeking is likely to be found in others.
make some noise;
Jazz Hands
make some noise;
December 21st, 2008 at 05:45pm
Deb:
Some people are not wired to take lives, some are. There is no song in the world that can ultimately effect a change to that wiring, but I do think there are people who are trying to work up the courage to kill themselves but really would like to be stopped, and in their case, sure the comfort they were seeking is likely to be found in others.

Clap Amen.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
January 11th, 2009 at 03:30pm
I found this quote from Frank - it's pretty relevant to the "Can a band really save your life" debate we were having on here:

From Rock Sound 2005:

S is for…saving lives
Some say music is as powerful as religion, including MCR.
Frank: "One thing we can say for sure is that the band saved our lives. I always thought I had something to offer and I wanted to have some importance in my life, so this band was the best thing that ever happened to me. Before that I was on a fast track to doing nothing. If there's a higher power, it was definitely looking out for me and I try to repay that every day. I think we offer our fans a sanctuary rather than salvation. The band is a tool to save yourself. We're like a support group – the AA of saving lives!"
Xmusic_monsterX
Jazz Hands
Xmusic_monsterX
January 15th, 2009 at 02:11pm
I completely agree about it being the person themselve that saves their life. Music is just kinda their to inspire you... I haven't ever been like extremely depressed to the point of considering suicide or anything, so i can't really say that music has saved my life. It did kinda save me from being shy all of my life. I don't know what it is about MCR's music, but it just brings me out of my shell for some reason. That's what i thank them for. I can be me now.
Heart Attack.
Salute You in Your Grave
Heart Attack.
January 19th, 2009 at 04:30pm
Deb:

Frank: "One thing we can say for sure is that the band saved our lives. I always thought I had something to offer and I wanted to have some importance in my life, so this band was the best thing that ever happened to me. Before that I was on a fast track to doing nothing. If there's a higher power, it was definitely looking out for me and I try to repay that every day. I think we offer our fans a sanctuary rather than salvation. The band is a tool to save yourself. We're like a support group – the AA of saving lives!"

That is a really good quote. I get what he's saying and I completely agree with it. What he said about the band being a "tool to save yourself" is basically what I think about it. No, of course music can not physically make a person not kill themselves, but it can be a tool or resource to get back on the right track, like Frank said. I think that people take the whole "music saved my life!" thing way too literally, in most cases if people are being serious when they say that, its not like they mean music literally made them put down their shotgun or whatever. Its more of a thing where music sort of helps reality dawn on a person or gives them a wake-up call to realize that suicide is not the way to go, and then they can go from there with their life, get help, whatever they need to do. So I think that when people say that they more or less mean that it gave them the hope to go on, or maybe some lyrics really made them change their mind, and I can believe that. At least that's how I interpret it. However, ultimately the person makes the decision, but I think if someone really relies on music it could be a huge impact on that decision.
Hullo sunshine
Killjoy
Hullo sunshine
January 20th, 2009 at 12:38pm
Mindfuck:
Lovesick Melody.:

Oh no, my rant-senses are tingling. lmfao

Okay...
In regards to the 'My Chemical Romance saved my life' thing, I think people lie.
Well, not straight out lie, but say it without meaning. It seems to me that you have to say it to be a true or real fan.
This isn't just in regards to My Chem, but to any band.
It's just been overused ever since LOTMS came out, and to be frank, its not real.
I mean, people seem to follow My Chems word as if its some kind of rule.
I do not find this is the case.
I disagree when people say My Chem saved their life.
They did not physically make you stop cutting. YOU did.
They may have helped a hell of a lot, but they did not stop it all on their own.

Another thing I... well I wouldn't say hate, but dislike strongly, is when people say music is their life and dont actually know the meaning of it.
It seems to me that whenever someone loves a band to death, they say music is their life.
It is not. Just because you are the top fan, does not mean music is your life.

I completely agree with all of this, especially the part about My Chemical Romance.
I know this thread isn't solely about them, but I do feel the same - I've heard "MCR saved my life!!" so many times now, I think it's lost all meaning.

I don't think bands necessarily "save" lives, regardless of what they may say. Ultimately, if you are in a bad place and you feel you need to be "saved" somewhat, in the end the person who is going to do that is you, not a band. I believe that music can help people overcome things, but I don't think it is the sole savior of someone. It takes a lot of strength to overcome something like depression, and when I hear people crediting bands such as MCR with "pulling them out of depression", I can't help but feel skeptical.

is your signiture form the book the Host
Hullo sunshine
Killjoy
Hullo sunshine
January 20th, 2009 at 12:40pm
I love music I can say it has impacted me greatly it's always been there even when nobody was there to watch me fall
scratch_cat
Killjoy
scratch_cat
January 31st, 2009 at 08:12am
I can't live without music. I can talk about it for hours... when i go somewhere i listen to music, when i stay at home i listen to it... the part of music is very important, i think.
SindySellick
Killjoy
SindySellick
February 1st, 2009 at 11:00am
Music cant save your life.
But music has had a great impact on it.
It's everywhere.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
February 1st, 2009 at 01:38pm
Hullo sunshine:
I love music I can say it has impacted me greatly it's always been there even when nobody was there to watch me fall

Impacted? Yes.

Saved? im doubtful.

Music is powerful, i dont deny, But to save lives? im not sure.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
February 2nd, 2009 at 07:13am
Hullo sunshine:

is your signiture form the book the Host

Yes it is, but please don't spam the board. It is for serious discussion, that would've been better in a PM.

Just a question, I'm curious to know from people who say that music saved their life.
If music can save your life, surely it can destroy it too then.
I mean, people protested so much when Hannah (I think that was her name) committed suicied and The Daily Mail blamed My Chemical Romance.
Everyone was adament that it was not My Chemical Romance, that it was the teenager.

Can this not be a reverse in the 'saving' aspect? It was not My Chemical Romance who saved you. You saved yourself.

What do you think?

(I'm sorry that I keep mentioning My Chem in my posts, I don't mean the subject to revolve around them, I'm just using their cases as an example.)
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
February 2nd, 2009 at 08:00am
I think we have the choice of what we listen to, so we can avoid music that is detrimental. Maybe we can feel some hurt or anger if someone in a band does something bad (I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, it's too early, sorry) but then that would link to the band *member* not the music.

The Hannah incident, sad as it was, was an isolated incident. It's not like MCR fans are going out and killing themselves en masse, but we do have to admit that the one thing we have in common with her is the music we listen to; obviously there were other factors involved in her suicide, but grieving families will take the first and easiest scapegoat to ease that pain. Now that time has gone by and they've re-evaluated their situation -- as well as seen that for the millions of fans MCR has, very few of them have followed in Hannah's footsteps, and in fact banded together in Hannah's name to show the world that they are not a suicide cult but rather just people who listen to a band that they enjoy, trying to show that they are inspirational rather than detrimental, and encouraging a closer look at the tragedy and where blame was being laid -- maybe now they can see that listening to MCR is not who she *was*, it was something she *did.*

I also agree with you on the "MCR Saved My Life" observation. I believe that their music can be therapeutic; they have songs of anger but also songs of joy and beauty. Given the right mindset and the right song, they can inspire, commiserate, or soothe. They can provide a catalyst to help you out of a certain mindset if your mind is open -- but they can't reach out and stop you from hurting yourself. They can only put their music and their words out there; what you choose to do with them is up to you.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
February 2nd, 2009 at 08:09am

Very well said Tabitha! (May I call you Tabs? I've seen that is your nickname around here Wink )

It's more like the bands are giving us their lyrics, but how those lyrics affect us is in our hands. Most take it in a positive light and use it as an opportunity to unite, others can take it in a negative way and that can result in damaging events.

There is no specific band that can 'save' someone, it's really up to the person themself to take the chance that the band has given to gain a healthier mental state. Or for some, to head towards something more harmful.
sherlock!
Crash Queen
sherlock!
February 2nd, 2009 at 08:10am
^ I completely understand your excellent point.

It' is true that it is our choice that we save or destroy ourselves.
It boils down into our own decisions, and whatever we do, it is not music that makes us choose, but it is ourselves that we listen to, ourselves that make the choices.

But I suppose when people say that "music saved their lives", they mean that music had a great effect on their choice. Maybe, in your example, My Chemical Romance's music doesn't really inspire us to make a better change as compared to, say, what their story is, of rising up from problems and becoming a better person from those failures. But I suppose there are some songs of which the words really affect what we think, and how we choose, in both a negative and a positive way - it all depends on what the songs are telling you.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that, yes, I truly agree with you, that music can be as much of a destroyer as it can be a lifesaver. Yes, you make your own choices, you either save yourself, or pull yourself down. But music, if listened to very often, and if it is a very important part of your life, really affects you in many ways. It all depends on what music you listen to, what messages it sends to the listeners, and if it affects those listeners in a good or bad way.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
February 2nd, 2009 at 08:29am
Lovesick Melody: "Tabs" is the typical shortening around here, and feel free, I answer to pretty much anything. Very Happy I'm sorry I've never caught your name. Would love to know if you'd care to share. Smile

Both you and tempest in a teacup see what I'm trying to say and articulate it further and adds more to the discussion. Music is an amazing vehicle that can do beautiful things, but it can hurt as much as it can help if the person listening chooses to do something bad. I remember after Columbine everyone was throwing Marilyn Manson around because the shooters had been listening to him before the shooting; and anti-video game groups blamed the game "Doom" since that was what they were playing before the shooting, so it's not just music that gets the bad rap, unfortunately.

I think another area of this argument would be: Why do people automatically look to what a person was reading, listening to, or playing immediately before a tragedy and try to blame said tragedy on an outside influence rather than on the decisions the person made? Have we lost personal responsibility so much that every action we take is influenced by an outside source?

I mean, I'm listening to "Kill All Your Friends" right now. That doesn't mean I'm going to do that. It would be like trying to blame my financial situation on listening to "Headfirst Slide Into Cooperstown On A Bad Debt." (thanks, tempest, for putting that song in my head! Very Happy)Just because a song mentioned something, it doesn't define who I am or what I do.
sherlock!
Crash Queen
sherlock!
February 2nd, 2009 at 08:46am
I see your point exactly.

Just because you listen to a certain band does not mean, in any way, that it defines your personality, or your being, in general. I liked the examples you used, tabitha, because they clearly explain what you're trying to say.

If that girl, Hannah, (if that was her name, I'm not sure) commited suicide, I'm certain that My Chemical Romance did not egg her on in any way to do so. It was her personal choice, whether or not to end her life. True, it was a tragedy, and maybe she really took something she was listening to at the time to heart, but that was her own choice, and it doesn't mean that the music is directly responsible for your actions, as if it willed you or controlled you to do something. I could be listening to the same songs she was, for example, but I don't believe that I would do the exact same thing, because the music I was listening to told me to do it. It all depends on the person, and how much she or he takes in from what she listens to.

Music can affect our actions, but not in a sense that it will completely render you powerless and make you do something. In the end, it's all just up to you, and what you choose to do, and what you read.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
February 2nd, 2009 at 10:13am
I actually think that Hannah was listening to My Chem as an attempt to pull herself out of the state of she was in, rather than the other way around; it just failed.

The sense of personal responsibility for one's own actions does not appear to be being instilled in children very often these days, and there are quite a few adults who don't have that sense, either.

I truly believe that anything can be interpreted in any way. I know it's just a movie, but I still feel the impact of "Girl, Interrupted"'s Daisy hanging herself to this otherwise very cheerful song, which I got the distinct impression freed her, rather than depressing her.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
February 2nd, 2009 at 01:07pm
tempest in a teacup.:
I see your point exactly.

Just because you listen to a certain band does not mean, in any way, that it defines your personality, or your being, in general. I liked the examples you used, tabitha, because they clearly explain what you're trying to say.

If that girl, Hannah, (if that was her name, I'm not sure) commited suicide, I'm certain that My Chemical Romance did not egg her on in any way to do so. It was her personal choice, whether or not to end her life. True, it was a tragedy, and maybe she really took something she was listening to at the time to heart, but that was her own choice, and it doesn't mean that the music is directly responsible for your actions, as if it willed you or controlled you to do something. I could be listening to the same songs she was, for example, but I don't believe that I would do the exact same thing, because the music I was listening to told me to do it. It all depends on the person, and how much she or he takes in from what she listens to.

Music can affect our actions, but not in a sense that it will completely render you powerless and make you do something. In the end, it's all just up to you, and what you choose to do, and what you read.

I think you are probably the wisest, most articulate, and well-versed 10 year old I have ever known. It's amazingly refreshing to have such an intelligent conversation with someone like you. Thank you for putting in your opinion! (sorry for spam, but it needs to be said.)
shazzam
Motor Baby
shazzam
February 3rd, 2009 at 04:52pm
I'm a wee bit lazy to read back every post, but I recall yesterday looking up the affects of music on the human brain. Not sure if anyone brought this up yet, but I'm going to refer to the classical piece "La Sacre du Printemps", or, "The Rite of Spring".
The low-down is that this piece, when debuted in 1930, actually caused a riot. People actually started fistfights in the aisles because there were parts of the piece that they didn't like and the ballet had pagan and ballet themes incorporated into them. These weren't things the people attending the show were accustomed to.
Kind of a curious incident hahaha.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
February 4th, 2009 at 10:55am
shazzam:
The low-down is that this piece, when debuted in 1930, actually caused a riot. People actually started fistfights in the aisles because there were parts of the piece that they didn't like and the ballet had pagan and ballet themes incorporated into them.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and volunteer the opinion that the gathered masses were already rowdy, rather than buying into the belief that a piece of music could make someone with a shred of intelligence violent. I also wonder if the original reporting historians were Conservatives.