School Uniform

AuthorMessage
Just Steph...
Motor Baby
Just Steph...
April 18th, 2009 at 01:41pm
You have to have some similar interests or there'd be nothing to talk about. =/

Corrupted Dreams:
^ I don't think that's nessesarily true. I don't go to a school with uniforms, but I did from kindergarten up until tenth grade, and first of all, they have free dress days, second of all, [and this might be different at your school,] you can decorate your bag/binders/notebooks/whatever with different stickers and things, etc. Also, sometimes taking a bit of a risk and talking to someone new really does pay off. It's how I met a few of my friends. *shrugs* just my two cents. But I really don't think uniforms alone can be the reason for anyone's loneliness, although they probably didn't help the situation.

I know it's not the only reason. There's many reasons, I was only saying it could have been one of them. And my school has very few free dress days. It's usually just along the lines of "wear something red for red nose day" or "pink for breast cancer awareness day", but it's still uniform.
I did try talking to new people but they stuck with me for more a week or so because we never had anything to talk about because we didn't have similar interests. But if i'd seen Stina wearing one of her band t-shirts I'd have known we'd have had something to talk about.
BRETTage-MCR4eva
Banned
BRETTage-MCR4eva
April 24th, 2009 at 06:30am
i think that school uniforms totally destroy the individuality of a person...
school uniforms just make every1 seem the same...nobodys different...and i think that my school is too tough on the wholoe uniform issue at the fact that they have stopped mufti days...okay i do suppose that there is the issue of wow you have different clothes and omg you poor hahaha and all the bullying crap...but still school is taking away individual personalities and is making life a living helll... the teachers dont have to wear a uniform and i think they should have to...rather than turning up in anything they like its kinda not fair...
BOINGage-MCRmy
Banned
BOINGage-MCRmy
April 24th, 2009 at 06:34am
I AGREE WITH BRETT!
partly because we go to the same school but still...

UNIFORM DOES MY NUT IN!
it takes longer to put on than your own clothes.
your not alowed to show individuality by 'pimping it'
i always went to school and never wore my blazer.
but i wore a hoodie instead.
AND I GOT IN THE CRAP WITH THE DEPUTY HEAD AND MY HEAD OIF YEAR!
FUCKIN SUCKS!

im not sure if swearing allowed...
if not...
SORRRRYYYY ^_^
Romantica.
Killjoy
Romantica.
April 28th, 2009 at 02:09pm

I have no problem with them.
For instance,you can't get made fun of for not having high
brand clothes or pretty clothes like some kids do.
If you have a uniform,no one can make fun of no one because
everyone looks the same. She can't say "Look at her shirt,so ugly"
Or he can't say "She looks ugly in that outfit! Gross!"
Everyone is equal and just another reason to stop bullying.

That doesn't happen to me,but when I was passing by a store that
sells uniforms,I asked my aunt why schools have them. And she gave
me that one reason. There could be other reasons,but I think the one
I pointed out was good.

Also;;
It makes the school image look better.
There are tons of girls in the school,dressing like theyre gong to
a club or something. Shirt to low,skirt to high,shorts to short.
With uniforms,they don't have to deal with that.
Some kids worry more about how good they look instead of school work.

My school doesn't have uniforms,but,thats my opinion on them.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
April 28th, 2009 at 02:33pm
To Boingage and brettage (I cant remember the rest of your usernames, sorry.) Is it really going to bother you though to have to wear a uniform for 6-8 hours a day?

Thats all, not even half a day.
Jenny.
Jenny.
April 28th, 2009 at 06:05pm
boingage, please don't swear on the discussion board.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
April 29th, 2009 at 01:41pm
BRETTage-MCR4eva:
.. the teachers dont have to wear a uniform and i think they should have to...rather than turning up in anything they like its kinda not fair...

They don't get to turn up in whatever they like though.

They have a dress code.

I think it's better they don't wear the uniform. It shows that they have authority over the students. make them wear the uniform, and that gives the impression they are the same status as the students.
Romantica.
Killjoy
Romantica.
April 29th, 2009 at 07:55pm
Yeah, Teachers already have a dress code and it's pretty strick.
I see alot of kids in my school that totally cross the dress code.
So,teachers don't have to wear uniforms.
They're already told what they have to wear and what they can't.
Jenny.
Jenny.
April 30th, 2009 at 12:30pm
Also, Brett, our school has stopped mufti days as well. Apparently it's been happening across the country and it's because bad behaviour happens more on mufti days.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
April 30th, 2009 at 01:02pm
Simple and Clean:
BRETTage-MCR4eva:
.. the teachers dont have to wear a uniform and i think they should have to...rather than turning up in anything they like its kinda not fair...

They don't get to turn up in whatever they like though.

They have a dress code.

I think it's better they don't wear the uniform. It shows that they have authority over the students. make them wear the uniform, and that gives the impression they are the same status as the students.

That's true. I have a dress code I have to adhere to (Smart clothes, no jeans, nothing casual). I also tell students when they complain about the uniform, that when I was at school I wore a uniform and when they are an adult they can go to work in their own clothes.
Dana Way
Banned
Dana Way
April 30th, 2009 at 02:47pm
I never had to wear a uniform in school but I think that they should have uniforms so people can look the same.
I never liked the idea of having a uniform.
Nutella With Forks
Motor Baby
Nutella With Forks
May 1st, 2009 at 05:19pm
I think uniforms are the best thing to happen in schools.
Since I started Primary school, I've had to wear a uniform. So I've got twelve years uniform clad schooling under my belt, so far.
It makes getting ready in the morning MUCH faster, because you don't have to think of what goes with what, when you wore that before, and so forth.

We have non-uniform days three or four times a year. I dispise them. As do most of my year. We've noticed its generally the younger students that look forward to non-uniform days.

Up until about thirty years ago, teachers in my schools had to wear uniforms (granted, most of them were nuns, so they had a uniform ANYWAY), and I only learned of the dress code last Wednesday.

My point, I'm completly FOR uniforms, they simpify school. I've enough on my mind heading in there everyday, then to add what I'm wearing to the list of worries.
Just Steph...
Motor Baby
Just Steph...
May 4th, 2009 at 08:38am
Romantica.:
Also;;
It makes the school image look better.
There are tons of girls in the school,dressing like theyre gong to
a club or something. Shirt to low,skirt to high,shorts to short.
With uniforms,they don't have to deal with that.
Some kids worry more about how good they look instead of school work.

That still happens at my school and we have uniform.
Shirts can still be too low, skirts can still be too high and shorts can still be too short as shirts, skirts and shorts are all stlil worn to school.
So they still worry more about how they look than their school work.

John St. John:
To Boingage and brettage (I cant remember the rest of your usernames, sorry.) Is it really going to bother you though to have to wear a uniform for 6-8 hours a day?

Thats all, not even half a day.

That's not the point. The point is that there's no need for it. The fact is sis worn is not a reason why it should be worn. If I had a penny for every time I've said that...

dresden dolls.:
Also, Brett, our school has stopped mufti days as well. Apparently it's been happening across the country and it's because bad behaviour happens more on mufti days.

Are mufti days non-uniform days?
If so, our school even admitted last time we had one that there was no change in behaviour. And the pupils found it more relaxed.

Tallulah; Schechter:
That's true. I have a dress code I have to adhere to (Smart clothes, no jeans, nothing casual). I also tell students when they complain about the uniform, that when I was at school I wore a uniform and when they are an adult they can go to work in their own clothes.

My school tries to argue that wearing uniform prepares you for wearing uniforms when you leave school. But that isn't the case. Especailly as Universities don't have uniforms.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
May 4th, 2009 at 09:03am
^ Universities might not, But most future jobs do.

Also, when we had mufti days when I was in school, no real work was ever done, because the students were more relaxed.

That's not the point. The point is that there's no need for it. The fact is sis worn is not a reason why it should be worn. If I had a penny for every time I've said that...

I dont remember saying that It should be worn because it is worn. What I meant was that the fuss over simply not being able to wear a t shirt and jeans for a small fraction of the day seems completly stupid to me. Schools dont make you wear uniform just because they want to make your life a misery, it simplifies things, for you and the teachers.

Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 4th, 2009 at 11:13pm
I actually liked my uniform when I was at school. The summer dress was really comfortable and looked nice and smart, and the winter skirt and shirt looked cute too.

I think it just makes the school look more neat, especially on photo day, lol

Wearing a uniform for several hours on weekdays doesn't take away individuality. I believe individuality is mainly about attitude.
Jenny.
Jenny.
May 6th, 2009 at 11:29am
Just Steph...:

Are mufti days non-uniform days?
If so, our school even admitted last time we had one that there was no change in behaviour. And the pupils found it more relaxed.

ours didn't. The council in the area doesn't seem to think so either. Hence the blanket ban of the non-uniform days around here.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 6th, 2009 at 03:55pm
In my school (i'm a teacher) non-uniform days are a pain in the behind. The students tend to think it's a day off for them. No uniform relates to no work for the majority.

Funnily enough we are in the process of changing our uniform. At present we have a black sweatshirt and white polo shirt. The students have chosen the uniform themselves, via a committee. Next year we are having black blazers, maroon jumpers, maroon skirts or black trousers, school tie and white shirts. They have chosen a much more formal option themselves.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 7th, 2009 at 07:32am
^Personally, I think more formal uniforms look better anyway.
Some neighbouring schools to the one I went to had scruffy, kind of informal uniforms (as in, students were allowed to wear black sneakers / cons instead of formal shoes, and they were allowed to wear generic polo shirts instead of proper school button up shirts). I thought the scruffy ones looked much worse. Urgh.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
May 7th, 2009 at 03:15pm
I think the committee/students choosing the uniform is a great idea.

As for students not working on non-uniform days, I think a part of it has to do with the fact that the rest of their time in school, they are wearing uniforms, so they tend to associate uniforms with order and work.
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
May 8th, 2009 at 01:06am
i cant remember if i posted on this already... if i am im sorry lol

But i honestly think school uniforms are pointless!! All it did was make me more uncomfortable at school... less relaxed

At non uniform days i was happy. Everyone seemed more relaxed. i think they should get rid of them... i mean seriously what the point of them!? to sure your part of some school? Stupid

But i guess there could be a bad side to it... your more likely to get bullied over what your wearing. but it does show your personality. and doesnt make you like everyone else!