Don't have an account? Create one!

School Uniform

AuthorMessage
Jenny.
Jenny.
June 28th, 2008 at 09:57am
Lovesick Melody.:

What if the uniform is too expensive for the family to buy?

My school has a fund for that Smile
There are also benifits available in the UK such as Child Tax Credit. But I dunno if you have that in other countries...
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
June 28th, 2008 at 06:25pm
I love the idea of school uniforms, but for completely different reasons. I abhor seeing young girls dressed like little sluts. I work in an elementary school that is right next to a high school, and some of the girls I see walking by at the end of the school day, I would not be surprised to see them late at night under a streetlight looking to turn tricks. I think a school uniform would go a long way towards preventing a lot of promescuity, teen pregnancy, date rape, not to mention eliminating the social strata that can lead to bullying and even to school violence.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
June 28th, 2008 at 09:06pm
psychochip:
I love the idea of school uniforms, but for completely different reasons. I abhor seeing young girls dressed like little sluts. I work in an elementary school that is right next to a high school, and some of the girls I see walking by at the end of the school day, I would not be surprised to see them late at night under a streetlight looking to turn tricks. I think a school uniform would go a long way towards preventing a lot of promescuity, teen pregnancy, date rape, not to mention eliminating the social strata that can lead to bullying and even to school violence.

How could it prevent teen pregnancy, promiscuity and date rape amongst teens? Promiscuity, for example, would depend on the individual girl and how she wants to act - I don't think wearing a school uniform would eliminate that. And teen pregnancy, well - I can't really get my head around the idea that a uniform could help prevent it. As an example, my school had it's fair share of promiscuous girls, and a few pregnancies in my year, and we had a strict uniform.

And the more that I think about it, I don't think it eliminates bullying either. Bullies will just find some other aspect to pick on instead of the clothes. Haircut? Wears glasses? Bad a sport? Good at sport? Excels at maths? The list of things that bullies may target could be endless.

However, I still like the idea of uniforms; they make the school in general look better, if they're enforced.
sparklinggrey
Jazz Hands
sparklinggrey
June 29th, 2008 at 03:43pm
We wear school uniforms here in South Africa. Tie and pullover, jacket the whole nerdy-looking-damn-deal. I'm not for it, but not totally against it either. I guess if you have to wear it you have to, so be it
Broken soul
Killjoy
Broken soul
July 13th, 2008 at 03:55pm
i understand that i would get bullied but i get bullied anyway
all that happens is poeple say shit and i dont care
so if i was to be bullied i would prefer to do it fully me then only a little

if poeple were afraid of being bullied they could tone done there looks
(i dont reccomend because i think its not being true to your self)
but it might help

at my school you gotta wear ftc (my school) EVERYTHING
no make up
no bangels
no necklases
no belts
no hair assessories

its awful and makes me depressed
it may only be 7 hours but
thats 7 hours of not being who i am
thats 7 hours of depression
and that 7 hours do add up!

this is how i see it you may not agree but im not asking you to;
i have to hide myself under this mask for most of the day and it crushes my soul a little. it makes poeple i know feel like being who they are is wrong thats why we need them to make us equal to everyone else

i dont mind them soo much but if we were aloud a little more freedom it would make a differance
sir_pleb
Jazz Hands
sir_pleb
July 13th, 2008 at 08:33pm
Broken Soul,

Is how you look really that important to you?

They might well control what you wear but that's not what you are. You are you. You are a combination of genes, the people you know and the event's you've experienced. It's not what you wear, it's what's in your head. Being true to yourself has nothing to do with your outward appearance, it's being able to justify yourself to yourself and no one but yourself. Hence the phrase.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 13th, 2008 at 09:20pm
Broken soul:

it may only be 7 hours but
thats 7 hours of not being who i am
and that 7 hours do add up!

Wow, to me that seems quite over-the-top. "Being yourself" (that term gets thrown around a lot on this board, I feel it's starting to lose meaning) isn't just a physical thing. You're the one letting the school uniform crush your spirit. The key word there is "letting".
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 13th, 2008 at 09:25pm
I like the idea of uniforms.
Recently my school system starting enforcing a dress code/uniform to improve their appearance. (I think that's honesty what it's all about, the appearance.)
However they did in a very unorganized, chaotic way.
The superintendent said that he had informed stores and warned them to stock up on dickies and polos, but come august when everyone was looking for uniform clothes none of the stores that he had specifically mentioned had any uniform clothes.
He also allowed a grace period at the beginning of the year when it was not required to wear the uniform
Also a lot of the guidelines for the uniform where just that, guidelines. The clothing that is considered acceptable varies from school to school, and even from teacher to teacher.
At my school in particular they have long periods of time where they are very lax with the uniform rules, but then every once in a while they have a huge crackdown and you can be suspended for a week for wearing a blue undershirt, and then they will let up again.
It really is not handled very well.
But the idea was a good one. My school system needed a big change to improve what the public thinks of us.
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
July 14th, 2008 at 06:02am
As I've said before, I do like school uniforms, even though I don't really like my summer one too much.
But I do like the idea of a dress code. I'd never really thought about that before. My friend was telling me today her school has one, and all it is, is black pants, the school top and a green jacket of some sort. So everyone looks similar, but you can still kinda have your own style in a sense.
I do think it would be easier with a uniform fully, but either way, it'd be better than casual wear everyday!
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
July 14th, 2008 at 09:25am
Mindfuck:
How could it prevent teen pregnancy, promiscuity and date rape amongst teens? Promiscuity, for example, would depend on the individual girl and how she wants to act - I don't think wearing a school uniform would eliminate that. And teen pregnancy, well - I can't really get my head around the idea that a uniform could help prevent it. As an example, my school had it's fair share of promiscuous girls, and a few pregnancies in my year, and we had a strict uniform.

I just think that by having and enforcing a uniform, it will keep girls from dressing in promiscious clothing. And maybe it's the dreamer in me, but maybe a girl who is seen as a *girl* every day and not a sex object would have more self-esteem and hold herself to a higher standard. And I think boys, without the constant, in-your-face sexuality that some of the girls exude when allowed to dress however they want, might turn some of their thinking to seeing them as equals, rather than sex objects.

Uniforms break down the "class" barrier. Like it or not people always have been and always will be labeled. Those who can afford nice, stylish clothes will make fun of those who have to get by on second-hand or out-of-style clothing. With a uniform, everyone dresses the same. Will they be treated the same? No. I'm not stupid -- even with a uniform, there will always be *something* that sets kids up to ridicule others. I know that. But it addresses that one stigma at least.

I wish my school had had uniforms because I was the poor, unstylish kid who got picked on for, among other things, my "fake" Guess jeans -- they were Palmetto, and very comfortable, but their label was an upside-down triangle, just like Guess, so everyone thought I was trying to be "cool" in knock-off jeans, when really I just wore them because I liked the fit. I finally tore off the stupid label and wore them without, because then nobody knew what they were because there was no label. Then I got made fun of for having "generic" pants. There's no way to win that war.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 14th, 2008 at 10:13am
AmyPoptart:
As I've said before, I do like school uniforms, even though I don't really like my summer one too much.
But I do like the idea of a dress code. I'd never really thought about that before. My friend was telling me today her school has one, and all it is, is black pants, the school top and a green jacket of some sort. So everyone looks similar, but you can still kinda have your own style in a sense.
I do think it would be easier with a uniform fully, but either way, it'd be better than casual wear everyday!

I'm feel so grateful to only have a dress code (although we had a dress code before but it was not adhered too) and not a strict uniform. Although it's sometimes really very confusing. The dress code says one must wear a belt, but a lot of skirts that aren't made to be uniformish clothing don't have belt loops.
A lot of people confuse casual wear with slut wear, in all honesty.
Jenny.
Jenny.
July 14th, 2008 at 12:16pm
Broken soul:

Depression? Really? Wearing clothes makes you depressed?
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
July 14th, 2008 at 12:48pm
Broken soul:
whats the point to them??

they say 'its to make everyone equal and for everyone to look smart'

it really pisses me off because if its to make everyone equal there basically saying that if your not a sheep and follow the rest of the crowd your not equal to them (and i don't think they mean higher in equality either)

and we can be smart just because we are teenagers we aren't gonna show up in week old clothes with swear words scribbled all over it

plus it is outrageously hideous and extremely chavy

i actually vomit a little in the moring when i put it on!

urgh its just not good

I went to Catholic school for five years, and I had to wear a uniform. It wasn't fun, but it wasn't that bad. It was nice, because you didn't have to worry about what to wear and you never had to worry about looking weird or anything. Now I go to a Liberal Arts school, and it's very free dress. We can have two foot tall blue mohawks if we want. And I like it just the same. It is nice to hang out in your own clothes, but it's not that different. You get used to the uniforms. It doesn't turn you into a sheep, it just means your school needed a better way to monitor dress code. If you really hate it, petition for one free dress day a month. We used to do that at my Catholic school. You would pay a couple of dollars, and then you could come in free dress the next day. It worked fine and we made a little cash on the side for the school play and funds in general.
sir_pleb
Jazz Hands
sir_pleb
July 14th, 2008 at 06:40pm
psychochip:

I just think that by having and enforcing a uniform, it will keep girls from dressing in promiscious clothing. And maybe it's the dreamer in me, but maybe a girl who is seen as a *girl* every day and not a sex object would have more self-esteem and hold herself to a higher standard. And I think boys, without the constant, in-your-face sexuality that some of the girls exude when allowed to dress however they want, might turn some of their thinking to seeing them as equals, rather than sex objects.

As far as I know, every secondary school in the UK has a uniform. We still have the highest rate of teenage pregnancy in Europe.

Girls aren't forced to wear promiscuous clothing, they choose to. Being forced into wearing uniform won't change standards because they'll wear what they want outside of school anyway. If anything, an enforced uniform might lead to girls being more rebellious with what they wear.

Most teenagers (boys at least) spend most of their time thinking about sex anyway. That doesn't mean they don't see girls as equals, just that they would quite naturally like to have sex with them.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
July 15th, 2008 at 01:44pm
Broken soul:
at my school you gotta wear ftc (my school) EVERYTHING
no make up
no bangels
no necklases
no belts
no hair assessories

We had a similar thing at my old high school. We had the blazer, tie, grey pants, black shoes, but we were allowed belts, because all the gansta kids kept wearing their trousers around their knees, and girls have to tie their hair back for pe and technology, but hair ties have to be black or grey. It makes sure everyone looks reasonably smart, I mean you will always get people who have their shirt out, and look scruffy, but you can make people look smart. Also, it means people have to dress sensibly. There was a girl in my old form, who was large, and would wear full goth get up, only, slutty. Lace tutu-mini, corset with boobs spilling out, fishnets, boots, black/purple lipstick. that is what she would wear normally, and if she wore that to school, she would get the crap beaten out of her, and in that sense it is a saftey thing. You can't get as much sense of 'label' when everyone dresses the same. My school also had rules about hair, it had to be a natural color, and 'sensible cut', so basically, not a blue mohawk. I mean once you ahd dyed it, they couldn't do anything about it, but they would tell you off in assembly.

Also, uniform looks so much better in school photos!
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
July 15th, 2008 at 03:10pm
Shiny!:
Most teenagers (boys at least) spend most of their time thinking about sex anyway. That doesn't mean they don't see girls as equals, just that they would quite naturally like to have sex with them.

This may be a tangent, but I'd like to point out that girls care and think about sex just as much as boys do, if not more. Don't disillusion yourself. However, girls don't base their relationships with the other sex primarily on how fuckable they are.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 15th, 2008 at 03:14pm
ChipmunkOnKetamine:

It makes sure everyone looks reasonably smart, I mean you will always get people who have their shirt out, and look scruffy, but you can make people look smart. Also, it means people have to dress sensibly.

Also, uniform looks so much better in school photos!

It's true.
You can say that it is to make everyone equal or that it stops people from getting labeled, but I think the main reason is that it makes the school look good.
If you had to choose between two schools to send your child too, would you choose a school where the boys wear baggy clothes with gang symbols on them and pants around their ankles and the girls wear revealing clothing, or one where the students wore a uniform?

Plus schools with uniforms can say, "look at our students, don't they look so nice and smart? wouldn't you like to give them more money so they can learn better?"
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
July 15th, 2008 at 03:45pm
^indeed.
sir_pleb
Jazz Hands
sir_pleb
July 16th, 2008 at 06:29pm
Faye Merci:

This may be a tangent, but I'd like to point out that girls care and think about sex just as much as boys do, if not more. Don't disillusion yourself. However, girls don't base their relationships with the other sex primarily on how fuckable they are.

It might just be that my school's a special case but that's not the case for boys either. I've heard a lot of my mates say how much they fancy this girl or whatever, but they never get together. From what I've seen (and experienced) the girl's usually in charge and we're just along for the ride. It might be because nearly all my friends (myself included) are pansies.

On the subject of uniform. I just hope no one else went to a school that made the same mistake that mine did i.e dark green blazer with maroon tie. At least the sixth form dress code came out alright.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
July 17th, 2008 at 04:15am
There are so pretty bad uniforms out there though, and I think intake does suffer because of that. There are two girls schools reasonably near by. One of them wears a grey skirt, white shrt /poloshirt and a red and grey tie. They also have a red sweater, and a red teeshirt that you can wear instead. The other has a marroon, brown and purple tartan half calf skirt, with a puce cardigan, and purple and puce check shirt. The one that wears red has a much higher demand every year, even though they are both the same standard of school. Uniform does make people want to go to a certain school.