Don't have an account? Create one!

How you discovered mcr! (and is mainstream really that bad!)

AuthorMessage
phantom.
Shotgun Sinner
phantom.
August 4th, 2005 at 03:53am
a relative from new york sent me the first cd a couple years back, and i loved it. then when i first heard "not okay" on the radio, and realized it was by the same band, i freaked out.
when i first saw the video for it, i fell in love. then one day i was watching mtv2 (kill me for it, i know) i heard the familiar bass notes that come at the start of "helena." that video made me freak out even more, untill the point where i was jumping around and trying to call my friends to tell them about it. however, they dont like mcr.*bitches*
that video made me get all teary-eyed,(however much i dont want to admit it),watching Gee get all emotional and stuff.
recently, i saw Helena at #2 and wondered how long this had been going on for.then i caught wind of the whole VMA deal, and was thrilled, albeit a little pissed at mtv for trying to steal our boys.
stupid mtv bitches. Twisted Evil
Spifik
Killjoy
Spifik
August 4th, 2005 at 04:04am
1. I woke up one morning (after going 2 years ignoring everything current, only listening to classic rock and current stuff that sounded classic rock) and turned on the TV and-- BOOM! The Helena video was on.

2. I was like, "Holy Shit!! What is this?! Why do I like it so much?!" Then, I stared in awe at the stunning video for Helena.

3. I think mainstream's good for them. In my opinion, MCR, Green Day (with American Idiot), Queens of the Stone Age, the Darkness, Jet, the Foo Fighters (sort of), and a few other select bands are ushering in a new age of classic rock.
Spifik
Killjoy
Spifik
August 4th, 2005 at 04:06am
Then maybe MTV would revert back to not sucking and... would no longer be a dirty word (like the old days).
Laceration Gravity
Jazz Hands
Laceration Gravity
August 4th, 2005 at 04:09am
I saw the "I'm Not Okay" video on Mtv over a year ago, (probably around right after 3CFSR came out) and instantly fell in love. (Which is kinda strange, because I don't even really watch Mtv normally... lol it's like it was meant to be.) Then I would seriously watch Mtv like every day when they were showing music videos just waiting for them to show "I'm Not Okay." I was so disappointed on the days they didn't show it! So I bought 3 cheers and have just been addicted ever since. Everything of theirs from cds, to posters, to clothing, i've got it. Haha, it's amazing how different my life might be if I hadn't turned on the tv that one day.

Just fyi... I'm not a teenie. I would be so insulted if anyone ever called me one. I have to admit that I'm a little sad that MCR is becoming so well known. I know that's kinda selfish. I guess it's just because I hear a lot of my friends & people just ACT like they're huge fans, but they probably couldn't tell you a single thing about any of the band members or any of the songs (you know, the kind of people who say things like "OMG that singer from my chemical romance is sooo hot! What's his name again? Gerald?"Wink. MCR deserves everything they have though. They deserve all of their fame though. They're awesome.
XxEarlySunsetsxX
Killjoy
XxEarlySunsetsxX
August 4th, 2005 at 06:11am
1. My cousin told me to check out this band called 'My Chemical Romance'. I obeyed. I watched the I'm Not OK video on their official site, and fell in love.
2. First reaction: AWESOME!!!! *runs to find other MCR related sites*
3. Mainstream = more money = more music = Very Happy
Pumpkin Princess
Salute You in Your Grave
Pumpkin Princess
August 4th, 2005 at 11:18am
1. about 6 months ago when I found out that they support green day in the USA.(I found it out on GSB Wink ) then I downloaded a song, which was I'm not okay.
2. I just thought wow I love this song and I need more. now I have both albums and love every song of them.
3. well...it's good for the guys coz they have more money. but I hate it that they were in a teenie magazine (here in germany) and now all the screaming little girls will be on their concerts Confused
mccrack.
Salute You in Your Grave
mccrack.
August 4th, 2005 at 12:23pm
1) Heaps of people on GSB were talking about MCR so I downloaded I'm Not Okay.
2) Didn't really like it cos it was crappy quaility. Then I heard it on the radio and loved it, and I realised that it was the same song.
3) They don't get played on MTV or commercial radio here anyway, so it doesn't affect me.
Pameleah
Joining The Black Parade
Pameleah
August 4th, 2005 at 05:57pm
am i the only person who gets a weird obbsession with the band/s they love.
i mean my room is coveree in posters, floor is covered with 100 's ok kerrangs and metalhammers. when i see mcr on tv or a magizine i scream till i get my on way. my heart stiil jumps when i hear them. i check my ticket to there 1st irish gig over and over to make sure its still there. im 18 . is this healthy!
emurlee
Demolition Lover
emurlee
August 4th, 2005 at 07:58pm
1. I'd heard OF them from my best friend, who's a fan, then I heard I'm Not Okay, and then Helena, and then thought, "I gotta get to know this band better." And so I did!

2. My first reaction... Probably going into hysterics at the I'm Not Okay video, to be honest. The bit where Frank jumps out of the locker cracked me up (still does).

3. I couldn't care less... for some people it's just a fad and it'll pass, and the real fans will stick by the band when it does. That's pretty much my outlook on bands that have gone overly mainstream recently like MCR and Green Day. And yeah, if they hadn't started getting played on MTV2 and Kerrang a lot, I might never have gotten into them. And that would sucky sucky suck. Razz
Pameleah
Joining The Black Parade
Pameleah
August 4th, 2005 at 08:02pm
i dont care if the next 10 albums they released were crap i think id find a way to appreciate them in this cave i call a chest.
circa leena
Salute You in Your Grave
circa leena
August 4th, 2005 at 09:03pm
Unknown Angel:
1. I remember watching Fuse late one night awhile back (I always do that, Power Fuse rocks) and saw "I'm Not Okay", funny video. I never heard of them before then which makes me feel cheated and stupid.
2. I thought "I'm not okay" was good, they got my attention with it but I wasn't in love until Helena.
3. I'm kinda shocked, I was watching MTV and saw Helena on TRL at #2 and thought "What the fuck? When did this happen?" I mean it was already playing for awhile on Fuse before MTV got their hands on it. But it doesn't bother me, just kinda took me back. The boys deserve it even thou they have to run for their lives from teenies.

yeah, i mean, fuse had been playing their videos far longer then mtv. mtv baisically jumped on the bandwagon.
mollz
Salute You in Your Grave
mollz
August 4th, 2005 at 09:12pm
1. I saw a commercial on them in 2004 about TCFSR.
2. I liked it, but I knew I couldn't get it because it had parental advisory.
3. I don't care. I guess it's good in a way. I mean, more people like them...? I don't know. I like them no matter what.
Yes I Am God
Motor Baby
Yes I Am God
August 4th, 2005 at 10:30pm
I'll number mine too. O_O
1. John told me about them and decided to download 'Vampires Will Never Hurt You.'
2. I fell in love with it and got "I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love."
3. I could really give a shit if they're mainstream or not. It's like a trend.. to not like music on the mainstream. -Shrugs shoulders.-
franksbabe
Killjoy
franksbabe
August 5th, 2005 at 10:24am
Um, i can't really remember................. they were on TRL i think, and BOOM, I have loved them ever since
st_pansy
Jazz Hands
st_pansy
August 5th, 2005 at 12:40pm
saw the video of im not okay(first ver)
Teresa
Always Born a Crime
Teresa
August 5th, 2005 at 12:51pm
My cousin Sean got me into them, 2 years ago when they came out.
Pameleah
Joining The Black Parade
Pameleah
August 5th, 2005 at 06:31pm
hmmm interesting bunch of stories but i noticed a lot of you were saying it had a parental advisory thing does that metter over there... i mean people here (ireland) just totally ignore that. they'd sell the cd to a two year old. and besides whats the parental advisory for?? i think censorship in some countries has gone too far. i doesnt really exist here anymore. it was a stupid idea then and it is now.
Shaylee
Bleeding on the Floor
Shaylee
August 6th, 2005 at 03:48am
awwwsugar:
1. i saw I'm Not Okay in early august 2004 and fell in love. so did my mom....so she went out and bought the cd for herself, hated it, and gave it to me.
2. whoa. This band knows what goes on in my head.
3. i hate posuer teenies, but i am happy mcr is getting succsessful. as long as they stay loyal to fans....

My friend is a poser Smile But i love her any way?
I ARE TRISH.HEAR ME ROAR!
Salute You in Your Grave
I ARE TRISH.HEAR ME ROAR!
August 6th, 2005 at 05:51am
i dont know any hardcore people personally. they all fucking copy meh. but they`re better slaves...i mean...friends than teh gangsters =P

and i heard of MCR from gsb =P
Alternative Amy
Bleeding on the Floor
Alternative Amy
August 6th, 2005 at 03:08pm
1.i saw im not okay sometime last summer, and i liked it.
2. the first time i ever heard anything else off of three cheers for sweet revenge was in Barnes and noble (ha ha i know)