Don't have an account? Create one!

How you discovered mcr! (and is mainstream really that bad!)

AuthorMessage
Heart of Revolution
Killjoy
Heart of Revolution
June 7th, 2007 at 08:42pm
I became a big fan after seeing them live several times when they were on tour with Green Day.

I am a bit disappointed that they've become so mainstream, as most of the music I listen to definitely isn't, however, I still love them nonetheless.

With that said, I like Bullets and Revenge much more than The Black Parade.
akissgoodbyexx
Killjoy
akissgoodbyexx
June 7th, 2007 at 09:55pm
well, i don't wanna be called a fake,poser, or teenie or anything. but i'll be honest here.
i used to listen to helena back then, but once it got overplayed i didn't like it anymore and just continued listening to pop crap i liked. i was young back then though, and my music taste has changed over the years. then this year i met,Devin. (girl) she's pretty much my best friend and she got me into them. i heard "welcome to the black parade" and im like "wow." then i heard cancer, and i was hooked. once i heard the live videos on youtube, i became addicted. then once devin gave me their old CDs and i watched life on the murder scene disks...i just fell in love? yeah, pretty much.
now i've been obsessed. i can't get their songs stuck out of my head.
when i first heard them, i can't really remember what i felt-back then when all i listened to was helena. but now i realize they're amazing. words can never explain them. i feel so ashamed that i was so clueless back then. (but im only 13 so i think when iwas..er.."young" i didn't know much. x])
and well, about them mainstream..doesn't it pretty much happen to everyone? i mean, we see it happen all the time, so i've gotten used to the fact that most bands with amazing talent become mainstream and you just have to stand your ground with all the weird...events and people that come along with it.
I know I probably shouldn't be saying much since i just got into them this year,but it wasn't because of mainstream or anything. My friend Devin got me into them and i'd totally choose their old stuff over new. either way though, i really do love My Chem. they're one of the most amazing bands iv'e ever heard, on album,live, everything. so uhm..yeah. =D
akissgoodbyexx
Killjoy
akissgoodbyexx
June 7th, 2007 at 09:58pm
i probably made no sense in my last post but i hope people sort of get what i'm saying x]
Alucard
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Alucard
June 7th, 2007 at 10:56pm
Read about them in a magazine and saw WTTBP on MTV.
And no,mainstream is not bad.
Alx_Aoide
Fabulous Killjoy
Alx_Aoide
June 8th, 2007 at 12:12am
A friend pointed them out to me on a school trip to Toronto about two years ago. I liked what I heard, but I didn't fall in love until I saw the music video for Helena. I thought the concept was absolutely gorgeous and that the singer was an amazing performer. From there, I searched every store I could find for Bullets so that I could listen to more.

And as for mainstream music, it depends. Some's good, some's decent, others are just...bad.
SCREAMdon'tTALK.
Jazz Hands
SCREAMdon'tTALK.
June 8th, 2007 at 12:15am
my mom got me big shiny tunes 10 or something for christmas
and i kept helena on repeats until we went to buy their cd haha
then i immediately became obsessed, and haven't stopped for two years now. =]
JadeTiger712
Motor Baby
JadeTiger712
June 8th, 2007 at 09:23am
I first saw I'm Not Okay, on Fuse I think, I then just watched their music videos as they came out. I really didn't listen to them alot until about a few months ago when my friend made me listen to Teenagers.

I don't think mainstream is totally bad. If the band lets it go to their head then mainstream sucks
AmazingCauseItIs10
Joining The Black Parade
AmazingCauseItIs10
June 8th, 2007 at 09:38am
A friend had ask if i had seen the helena video, i didn't, so i watch it, it was beautiful, and i had remember that i had seen the ino video but a bit scared of gerard's makeup (the truth!). But when i had saw the ghost of you video, i started to like them a lot. Then they started to get interviewed a lot on tv, especially on fuse. but when the black parade came out last october, their music became full- circle for me as a fan. and now, i can't take them out of my life, it would be too tragic.
Bride of Lestat
Jazz Hands
Bride of Lestat
March 1st, 2008 at 12:52am
I became a fan when my friend had TBP and I listened to it. Besides, I liked the songs and the beat, it was really catchy.
NachaCyanide
Thinking Happy Thoughts
NachaCyanide
March 1st, 2008 at 01:13am
I discovered MCR for a mistake.
I was on Ares dowload a song for my school "romance"
and i press the wrong song, and i was dowload Cubicles
that was a little more that 4 years ago, and thanks for that mistake, that was the best fucking mistake <3
writerGrrl
Salute You in Your Grave
writerGrrl
March 1st, 2008 at 01:42am
1. My sister wanted MCR music but, knowing nothing about the band, got LOTMS instead thinking it was a CD.
2. I thought the people in MCR were really smart and cared a lot about their fans. (That was during Eliza-gate so the DVD was made 2 years prior but we didn't realize that at the time.)
3. I like that they're mainstream in that if they weren't I wouldn't have found out abotu them but the teenies are annoying. I suppose the band can't be at fault for them, it's mostly how they've been marketed.
Switchblade Saint
Salute You in Your Grave
Switchblade Saint
March 1st, 2008 at 02:59am
Interesting question, esp the 3rd one.

1. MCR first came into my 'radar' with Ghost of You. i didnt know who that song belonged to when i first heard it, and it slipped from my mind again until almost 2 yrs later (i think) when my bro dug the Black Parade album & borrowed it frm a friend. He sorta introduced me to them, but ultimately (especially after i went to their cncert) it was me who got hooked. (He remains a fan of sorts, more like an appreciator.)

2. My 1st reaction? I loved most of their songs when i first heard Parade, & that isnpired me to get into their previous albums as well, i didn't like Bullets all that much then, but i thought Sweet Revenge was one of the coolest things to come out of cntemporary rock music. So MCR entered my List Of Fave Bands, and eventually topped it. I was also highyl amused & fascinated by Gee's crazy faces in their vids.

3. Anyway by the time i really knew them, they were already mainstream & selling like hotcakes. And why shouldn't they? for me this has never been an issue. In my opinion they're good & i love them, there's all there is to it.

why would u not be happy for their success? at the very least u get to hear them on radio now & then....cant' be that bad, huh? and another advantage of MCR being popular is that ur community, the amount of ppl that u can connect with from a mutual love of mychem, becomes much wider.
Brenny Boo
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Brenny Boo
March 5th, 2008 at 08:34am
Well I was first introduced to them when I was 9 when three cheers came out.

My first reaction was that they were scary or traumatizing or something like that (I was 9 what do you expect?)But they had really nice songs

When they became mainstream I got really disappointed and let down by all the posers and people liking them for only a few songs.I got really really really pissed by all that.They were making it look like they were fans but they were all just a bunch of POSERS!
a line in a song.
Salute You in Your Grave
a line in a song.
March 5th, 2008 at 08:38am
I saw Helena and from then on, I couldn't stop listening to them.
Angie Pansy
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Angie Pansy
March 5th, 2008 at 02:24pm
I heard Vampires and I thought it was a neat song, but I didn't really start getting into them until Helena came out and I saw the video and it was very beautiful and moving.

I decided I had to get every c.d this band made and I did and here I am.
=]

"Mainstream" can be defined in so many different ways but people nowadays think mainstream is a bad thing.
It's not.
Mainstream just pretty much means a band's songs are played constantly over the radio and on MTV or whatever because people LIKE the songs.
Every band wants to be known and famous like that.

So, technically, mainstream isn't bad at all.
attheshows
Banned
attheshows
March 5th, 2008 at 03:47pm
i discoverd them by gettin tix!!!

no go mainstream
Unforgotten Lover
Killjoy
Unforgotten Lover
March 5th, 2008 at 04:01pm
I heard Welcome To The Black Parade on the radio a while after it came out and i totally fell in love, I bought all their cds and now im addicted
And i suppose the whole mainstream thing is...alright
drink ourselves dry.
Crash Queen
drink ourselves dry.
April 6th, 2008 at 06:16am
I first heard Helena.
I thought it was an okay song...I never knew the meaning of it back then.
The next few years; I then became an 'official' fan of MCR.
I liked them, not loved them.

After a while, here in Australia, they stopped playing their songs.
But then The Black Parade came out.
And I was older. I understood more about music;
And how it brings out emotions.
AND I LOVED MY CHEMICAL ROAMNCE!
Forever I will love them.

And the mainstream thing?
No, I don't think it's bad.
Because then me, and many other people, would never of heard of them.
They have saved more lives now.
They have changed more too.
party poison.
Salute You in Your Grave
party poison.
April 6th, 2008 at 10:22am

I was watching MTV when I saw their bideo WTTBP..
I was like.. 'duh?!'
because I only heard the intro part... so I went to other channels..

then the other day, my friend told me to watch MTV..
then again, WTTBP is playing..
I was like o_0?!?
so I watched the whole video just for my friend...

I was soo amazed when i realized that that song was so lively at the middle part and Gerard was rocking out!
She did know the band.. but she didn't recognize it because that time, Gerard was blonde. Then she told me that that was My chemical Romance

so I started loving them... In Love

No mainstream thing...
One More Black Day
Fabulous Killjoy
One More Black Day
April 6th, 2008 at 12:23pm
i was depressed in summer 06 (not too long before TBP came out) and had heard of this band called My Chemical Romance that saved lives. My first reaction was Yeah right. After a while my depression got worse...and i was about to go off to tennis camp where nobody liked me and i never had any friends for a whole week. so i decided what the hell, and downloaded i'm not okay, hang 'em high, and the ghost of you. after listening to them 8697485697895760985476357 times in my backyard, i decided i liked them and took my mp3 player to tennis camp. i actually felt like i had a friend when i was there listening to MCR.
when i got home, i purchased Three Cheers right in front of my conservative overprotective grandparents (who kinda freaked) because i couldn't wait =D

(wow that was long)

i have no opposition to them being mainstream. they can't help it anyway. i like the fact that they reach more people and make more people happy. i am very happy for them too, since i'm sure this is a dream come true for them