Don't have an account? Create one!

How you discovered mcr! (and is mainstream really that bad!)

AuthorMessage
the dead will walk
Bleeding on the Floor
the dead will walk
September 17th, 2005 at 11:50pm
i found out about mcr on launch after i wathced an a.f.i music video and i was blown away by thier video im not ok i promise it was so amazing i mean the music just rocked!
(this was a little while before 3 cherrs like a week or 2)
HarvesterofSorrow3319
Killjoy
HarvesterofSorrow3319
September 20th, 2005 at 08:16pm
I heard Demolition Lovers on 89x (Radio station in Detroit), thought the song was brilliant, and downloaded more. I wanted to see them in concert, but at the time they were in the process of recording Three Cheers. Once Im Not Ok came out and they became mainstream, I was happy to know that me and my girlfriend heard them before anybody else really knew who the hell they were. Glad to say that Ive been there since the first record, wish I could have been there since their first "local" tour, but shit happens. Going mainstream is a double edged sword, but look at the other fourm to see what I have to say about that.
Eneldo
Killjoy
Eneldo
September 21st, 2005 at 12:57am
The first song I heard was "This Is The Best Day Ever". I listened to it once and forgot it, but then a friend started to talk about MCR all the time and I gave them a chance, started listening to the lyrics and noticed guitarr parts...
I liked them more and more, and still do since I'm discovering new parts all the time.

About getting mainstream... well... they are not mainstream here. I live in Sweden and I think we're two people in the entire school who listen to MCR. We have three radio channels here, all playing the same bad pop, so there's no way I'll here MCR on the radio one day.
I think it's nice. If they ever get big in Sweden (which wouldn't be soon, since everything is slow here), I will be happy to say "I had the t-shirt in summer of -05, when nobody knew who they were!".
Je t'aime mon amour
In The Murder Scene
Je t'aime mon amour
September 21st, 2005 at 03:12am
Eneldo:
The first song I heard was "This Is The Best Day Ever". I listened to it once and forgot it, but then a friend started to talk about MCR all the time and I gave them a chance, started listening to the lyrics and noticed guitarr parts...
I liked them more and more, and still do since I'm discovering new parts all the time.

About getting mainstream... well... they are not mainstream here. I live in Sweden and I think we're two people in the entire school who listen to MCR. We have three radio channels here, all playing the same bad pop, so there's no way I'll here MCR on the radio one day.
I think it's nice. If they ever get big in Sweden (which wouldn't be soon, since everything is slow here), I will be happy to say "I had the t-shirt in summer of -05, when nobody knew who they were!".

You're welcomeVery Happy
But you forgot about Adolph, Annie and Clyde. They listen to MCR too, they're just not as obsessed as we are. I saw I'm not okay on launch, and downloaded drowing lessons, this is the best day ever and honey, this mirror... But I guess it was when I heard vampires I got really obsessed. And I think eneldo's wrong. There's quite many that knows of mcr here now. But the good thing is that those who knows of them really like the music. There are no teenies yet, so I guess it's okay I'm not their only fan here.
BrokenAngel
Killjoy
BrokenAngel
September 22nd, 2005 at 06:11pm
I first heard them on yahoo! launch. And i didnt really like them at first i thought they were weerd (dont hurt me lol) and then i went to their site. listened to their music even more and i just LOVE THEM! they're wicked awsome! my friend bought me their cd lol
Problem Child
Bleeding on the Floor
Problem Child
September 22nd, 2005 at 06:19pm
I heard helena playing downstairs on tv and i loved the song! then i started listening to both albums.
xXxKyuuketsukixXx
Fabulous Killjoy
xXxKyuuketsukixXx
September 23rd, 2005 at 06:32pm
I saw I'm not Okay on tv a little while after it primeired and I was all, "I. Love. Them." And thus I fell in love.
HarvesterofSorrow3319
Killjoy
HarvesterofSorrow3319
September 24th, 2005 at 01:00am
seems no matter how one discovers this band, they immedately fall in love with um, unless the person is stupid as hell...
Aphex Hanna
Bulletproof Heart
Aphex Hanna
September 27th, 2005 at 09:08am
I reas allot of english magazines and they kept talking about this band called "My Chemical Romance" so I had to check them out. I bought three cheers.. and fell in love. This was in march this year
samantha connolly
In The Murder Scene
samantha connolly
September 27th, 2005 at 04:55pm
1-- I was cleaning our downstairs living room in what must have been October 2004 because it was for my uncle. I was playing FUSE kinda nonsensically, just to hear something, when I heard "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)". I immediatley rewound out TiVo and played it twice more. The next day I went to Best Buy (a whole 90 miles away, dude) and got "Three Cheers" and "Bullets". I played each CD a few times, then decided I was in love and lust.

2-- I feel dorky admitting it was maybe the first time music sounded good and somehow made sense to me. There was catchy music, sure, but it was how everyone was raving about Evanesence-- I colud not relate. It sounded like anything else I'd hear on some hard rock station. But MCR was diffrent. And the messages applied to what I was doing-- just living every day hoping the next would be better.

3-- I think any fan should be appreciated as one, regardless of social class, clique, gender, or age. As long as you like MCR, I respect that. It's the people who act like they like them but really hate them who need to have the tar kicked out of them.

Samantha.
Qcumber
Killjoy
Qcumber
September 27th, 2005 at 05:22pm
My cousin was at her driving course and i was at her house and i saw her metal edge magazine with their picture on it. I had heard people at school talking about the band and somebody in my tech ed class said that a guy in my tech ed class looked like gerard. I mentioned the band to my cousin when she got back, and we went to MTV to watch their music videos. I immediately loved the music and went to buy three cheers. I later bought i brought you my bullet. That was a long story.
Chemical_Gurl
Killjoy
Chemical_Gurl
September 27th, 2005 at 05:39pm
i first saw them when i was in france and saw their video on launch. and i relle didnt like them at all. then when i got back to the states and start watching their video Helena more on launch, i started to tell myself that the lead singer was relle hot. And then i found out more about them and have been finding out a lot of things about them ever since. and just recently saw them in concert on Sept. 22. that was the best concert!!! Gerard looked so hot!!!
Je t'aime mon amour
In The Murder Scene
Je t'aime mon amour
September 27th, 2005 at 05:40pm
Chemical_Gurl:
i first saw them when i was in france and saw their video on launch. and i relle didnt like them at all. then when i got back to the states and start watching their video Helena more on launch, i started to tell myself that the lead singer was relle hot. And then i found out more about them and have been finding out a lot of things about them ever since. and just recently saw them in concert on Sept. 22. that was the best concert!!! Gerard looked so hot!!!

so? does it matter if gerard is hot or not? would you still like them if he looked like a fish?
~Amber~
Motor Baby
~Amber~
September 27th, 2005 at 05:50pm
i told u guys wt i think Confused
*unleash_the_bats*
Killjoy
*unleash_the_bats*
September 27th, 2005 at 05:52pm
my boyf of the time sent me demolition lovers...i think it was meant to be some sort of romantic thing he was a bit strange- have to admit tho did win me over lol...was kinda hooked ever since back about 1 or so years ago Smile
xxx
Chemical_Gurl
Killjoy
Chemical_Gurl
September 27th, 2005 at 06:37pm
yeah i would still like the band that is not the only reason i like them. But that is one of the reasons i love them because of Gerard
xXxHoNeYbLoNdExXx
Killjoy
xXxHoNeYbLoNdExXx
September 27th, 2005 at 07:06pm
Pameleah:
hi sweethearts
i just want to ask you all how you all encounted this band for the first time and 2. your first reaction ? and 3. are you dissapointed they have gone into the mainstream?

here is my anwsers
1.i saw the vid for "vampires will never..." on the net a year ago... i bought their album, then kerrang had a free cd with "you know what.." and the obsession started
2.my heart jumped! then i went out and bought the album with pure joy because i felt this band were me!
3.i was dissapointed at first but i cant begrudge em thier success but i do hate people jumping on the band wagon(eg green day) and making it harder for the old fans to get tickets... but thats not fair either!

1. i was on kazaa and the ghost of you file poped up. i think i was searching for fall out boy. This was way before ghost was released and i think helena was out i guess. But anyway, i downloaded it out of curiousity. I have never really heard of MCR. And when i heard the first 15 seconds of the song. i feel in love with it. I had no fucking clue who they were but that song was all i listened too.

2. well a week after i discovered MCR...hurricane Katrina came and took everything away from me. So 5 days after that. im in georiga and my nerves were really bad, from everything that had happened and all i kept humming was "ghost of you". The people i was around was driving me nuts so to kinda get away from all that i went out and brought Three Cheers.

3. Hmm...im not really mad that they have gone into mainstream. I don`t know. Im happy for them and their success. I just wished i would have discovered them a little sooner.

{the weird thing is i recently found out my mom been a fan of them. And she never even bother to introduce me to their music....so selfish}

<3

HoneyB
leeshy
Jazz Hands
leeshy
September 29th, 2005 at 11:58pm
I discovered MCR through the used and GSB, because this was the sister site to GSB and the bands name kept popping up plus on the new The used cd theres a reference to them, i downloaded a couple of songs and havent looked back since. Im a new fan but didnt discover them the mainstream way cos in Australia they are far from famous. But im over then whole mainstream thing b/c it meant that GD is coming back to australia for the second time in a years and they are bringing MCR with them.
Yours truly.
Fabulous Killjoy
Yours truly.
September 30th, 2005 at 12:21am
I went to a Green day concert, and MCR opened for them. And I've loved them ever since Very Happy May 17th was the best day of my life.. wheeeee. My first reaction was... WOW. I love them! And I've kinda got mixed feelings about the whole mainstream things.... yes, it makes it harder for fans to get tickets and meet them. And there's the whole teenie thing. But being mainstream means that their successful! And we want our boys to be successful, right?

Edit: does anyone know where I can find their old music videos? I've searched everywhere...
darkannie
Killjoy
darkannie
September 30th, 2005 at 12:31am
i just recently got introduced, and i'm a noob. i knew about my chemical romance before i ever heard a song by them. my friends on LJ were always posting their music and sometimes talking about the band, how they were so great, and this and that, and they loved them. here i thought this was just another good charlotte band, where girls liked them and talked about them being so great, and if you don't like mcr then you're a douche bag, and blah blah blah. and i'm like 29 years old so i figured i was too old for just another good charlotte band i was certain i would hate.

then one of my best friends saw their video helena and became obsessed with it because of the corpse that gets out and dances in the video. she has this weird thing about zombies. anyway, she was suddenly going on about them and whatnot. me? i'm still pretty apathetic. but everyone is still going on about them and i'm still convinced i wouldn't give one single shit.

then one day that same friend who became obsessed with the zombie ballerina, asked me to check out her myspace profile because she'd just put a new video up on it. helena. i kept forgetting to look at it and she kept bugging me to do it, so one night when we're chatting, she brings it up again and i caved and looked at it.

at first i thought i'd have to wait through a song i wasn't going to like, but then the chorus to the song kicked in, and i'm sucked in. i was getting the weirdest feeling watching it. noticed the singer. god he was sexy to be so weird looking. he was doing it for me big time. toes started curling. she asked me about it and i wasn't very descriptive. i said the song was pretty cool, even though i felt more than that. i just felt so... strange. like something significant just happened.

the next day i asked her about it again and she sent me the song and i started talking about it. later that night she sent me the video and i was watching alllllll the time. and listening to the song. i had to admit to myself that i was digging this.

i made a post about it later, and from there on it was all i ever posted about. i became another sheep in the flock.

as far as their mainstream sucess, i wasn't there during the period where they were starting off so i can't say i have any real strong feelings about it, except that i know if i ever go to show, i won't get to meet any of them. by the time that rolls around they'll be too popular for that. and that'll suck. but otherwise they deserve it.

i bought the cd later on while i was arizona and fell inlove with it instantly. a month later i bought bullets and had to have it grow on me, but i love them both equally.