Don't have an account? Create one!

How you discovered mcr! (and is mainstream really that bad!)

AuthorMessage
degrassifan07
Motor Baby
degrassifan07
January 3rd, 2007 at 05:45pm
1. I encountered this band from my best friend Amy who was a fan of My Chemical Romance from the first album and I became interested in them.
2. My first reaction to this band was that this band was unique unlike any of the other bands I have heard of. I became a fan of My Chemical Romance shortly after I found out about their new release for "Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge" and I was blown away by Gerards technique and pitch in his voice. He's a magnificent singer and the band members are just outstanding bandmates and this band is one of the best bands I am a fan of.
3. I am not completely dissapointed that they have gone mainstream. I'm actually happy they got somewhere in their career and not getting by just by looks but by having unique talent.
fatality in the snow
Salute You in Your Grave
fatality in the snow
January 3rd, 2007 at 07:46pm
Hm. The first encounter I had with MCR would have to be through a combination of Music Choice and my best friend Savannah. The first time I saw them would have to be watching Helena for the first time. I was an ignorant, foolish girl, and though they were copying Green Day with their black shirts and crimson ties. x.O So I hated them at first. But then I was forced to listen to them and decided, hey, this isn't bad at all! And then...I'm in love with them. XDDD

I don't think mainstream is all that bad. I mean, sure, then all the little posers hear them, but then there are also people out there who hasn't heard them and are now given the chance through the radio. So it's got it's pros and cons. ^^
domeofstars
Thinking Happy Thoughts
domeofstars
January 4th, 2007 at 02:28am
dorkeh__x:

2. i could not believe i actually liked this 'heavy music' ( i was a green day, good charlotte, simple plan fan back then..)

Yeah Green Day were my first major obession before MCR, and My Chem definately seemed hardcore to me (after listening to Three Cheers). "Welcome to the Black Parade" was the song that got me addicted to them...I think that the video clip was something really special and their music was so different to what I normally listened to.

I don't think MCR going mainstream is a bad thing - yes, they have acquired a new generation of fans but I wouldn't have an appreciation for their current or older stuff if they hadn't produced more radio-friendly songs.
Awake And Unafraid
Killjoy
Awake And Unafraid
January 4th, 2007 at 08:25am
I saw I'm not okay video and other videos on tv and liked them so got my brother to make me the three cheers cd. I think mainstream isn't that bad because they didn't sell out and change who they were, they wanted to sound the way they did on three cheers and because of the mainstream they were able to show themselves to more people on mtv and stuff so they got more fans. If it wasn't for the mainstream they also wouldn't be able to do huge expensive videos or huge edgy/risky ideas (like the black parade) like they did.
Sazzle
Killjoy
Sazzle
January 4th, 2007 at 09:46am
1. First video I saw was for I'm Not Okay in 2005. My mate played Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge a fair bit in college, so I heard some of it but didn't really pay much attention. Didn't become a proper fan until a few months or so ago when we got digital TV and radio (yay for finally getting Kerrang) and I got more and more into music in general. Kind of obsessed now.
2.Well my first reaction to hearing them properly was how it felt when I first watched a Tim Burton film...someone finally sees things the way I do! It was cool. I felt really inspired in my art and design.
3.seriously people, is mainstream bad? Personally I think that people who abandon bands just because they go mainstream are just as bad as teenies. Can't everyone just be entitled to like a band without being labelled teenie, wannabie etc? We all love MCR, some might argue they love them more than others. But the point is that everyone loves them differently. The only thing that annoys me about their super popularity because of Black Parade is that the idiots on EBay are buying all the tickets and selling them double price. Other than that, mainstream got them to the UK and I'm glad for that Smile
MetalliDeth
Killjoy
MetalliDeth
January 4th, 2007 at 11:29am
I started to listen to MCR initially because a girl I had and still have a crush on had a MCR patch on her book-bag. So, about two days later I bought Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge. And I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It was incredible, it was different. This is coming from someone who listens to Megadeth, Metallica, and Black Sabbath constantly at the time. Their lyrics were so true to the heart that it inspired me like never before. After that, I bought I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love. That album took me a month to get used to. But since then, I love that album. Bullets is an awesome blend of Punk and Metal (More Punk though). So, after those two albums, I was so stoked for The Black Parade. I pre-ordered the the album and bought a shirt from the new album. I also saw them recently at the November 30th show in Richmond. I was in awe when I saw them on stage, I was like 20 feet in front of Gerard and Toro. It WAS awesome. But, to the question of whether mainstream is bad. In my opinion, I try to steer clear of Mainstream. Because most of the time, Mainstream music sucks in my opinion. I'm a Metalhead. I grew up listening to Megadeth, Metallica, Motorhead, Black Sabbath, Rage Against The Machine, and other various genres of Metal. Metal has been shunned the last 10-15 years due to hair metal. So, I kind of look at it as a sin to listen to mainstream. But, I believe there are exceptions. If you have talent and your music catches my attention and makes me think and express myself like nothing else. Then yes, they deserve my attention. Mainstream is not necessarily a bad thing. But, it's just not my thing.
Cheap Champagne
Motor Baby
Cheap Champagne
January 4th, 2007 at 11:42am
1. when I saw the Ghost of you video
2. I started to cry and wonder why I didn't discover this band before
3. Not really
Balthazar
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Balthazar
January 5th, 2007 at 04:33pm
I began to like them when they released Welcome to the Black Parade. I became addicted to that song then i got the Black Parade album and liked it then i got Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge which i liked more and then finally got I gave you my bullets, You gave me your love which i dont like as much but i will probably force myself to like it.

I dont mind mainstream really either.
Avalon Like Whoa.
Killjoy
Avalon Like Whoa.
January 5th, 2007 at 04:41pm
I heard Vampires about 2 or 3 years ago. Then I got Revenge when it came out, saw them with Green Day, and immediately I was addicted. I got Bullets fro my birthday last year, and then TBP this year, and I met them at a meet and greet December 1st. I also saw them eat...Frank likes cake.
None_More_Black
Jazz Hands
None_More_Black
January 6th, 2007 at 01:14am
I heard the hype about The Black Parade.,.so I bought it.Fell in love.Then.,.bought Three Cheers.Cried with joy.Now.,.going to see them soon.Will probably cry.I am not dissapointed at ALL that they have gone mainstream.
xXx_BlackParade_xXx
Thinking Happy Thoughts
xXx_BlackParade_xXx
January 6th, 2007 at 02:07am
wel i just kept hearing bout them for maybe a year then got sick of not knowing who they where looked them up on mtv and clicked on the black parade watched a bout a million times then i started listening to their other song and wala here i am today
ComeAngelsOfUnknown
Jazz Hands
ComeAngelsOfUnknown
January 6th, 2007 at 02:39am
Well I first heard of them by my sister, she introduced me to the genre of rock, metal all that good stuff. She had their first cd. I listened to it over and over and over again. I fell in love with Gerard's voice, and the bands music. Shortly after that, my brother got Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge. (I broke that cd =[[[) Of course I stole it from him and listened to it every day. Then, along came the internet, where I saved every MCR pic I saw. I need, to go buy bullets and three cheers....but yeah I have life on the murder scence and the black parade. Over all I think bullets is their best cd, because its original, and its dark. I will always love MCR no matter how many teenies they get or how many people think that tbp is their first CD. I frickin love this band!!
xXx_BlackParade_xXx
Thinking Happy Thoughts
xXx_BlackParade_xXx
January 6th, 2007 at 02:52am
trashette:
Well I first heard of them by my sister, she introduced me to the genre of rock, metal all that good stuff. She had their first cd. I listened to it over and over and over again. I fell in love with Gerard's voice, and the bands music. Shortly after that, my brother got Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge. (I broke that cd =[[[) Of course I stole it from him and listened to it every day. Then, along came the internet, where I saved every MCR pic I saw. I need, to go buy bullets and three cheers....but yeah I have life on the murder scence and the black parade. Over all I think bullets is their best cd, because its original, and its dark. I will always love MCR no matter how many teenies they get or how many people think that tbp is their first CD. I frickin love this band!!
i think people who think tbp must b really dumb or a realy big teenie
ComeAngelsOfUnknown
Jazz Hands
ComeAngelsOfUnknown
January 6th, 2007 at 02:58am
xXx_BlackParade_xXx:
trashette:
i think people who think tbp must b really dumb or a realy big teenie

I agree! I mean I have heard so many people sing WTTBP like so many times and i'm like duddde. Name 5 of their songs of their other 2 cds and I won't call you a stupid ass teenie. And they are like whhhaaa and yeah...gah
Annie-Luvz-a-Marine.
Salute You in Your Grave
Annie-Luvz-a-Marine.
January 6th, 2007 at 10:41am
i heard them in 2001 and i have been there 4 the guys since i love them and there my savers
Gerard Way.
In the Cannibal Glow
Gerard Way.
January 6th, 2007 at 01:58pm
1. Although i know MCR songs since Bullets, but its just that i never bother to see how they really look like. I dont have their albums ( i bought the songs from itunes)...Call me ignorant, but I didn’t know how MCR Lead singer looks like, not until a year ago when my friend emailed me his picture saying it was my man's.(my man was away in Ireland for two and a half years and i havent seen him since). I printed and kept it for 3 weeks in my wallet, thinking it was my man’s picture. I was sad when I found out that she played a prank on me, but since then, I collected Gerard Way’s pictures so that I can divert the attention away from the guy I love.

2. This is that Goddamn picture. I cant look at it without engaging into my emotional mode. Why do two men have to look so much alike?

Funny thing is, I believed my friend when she said Mikey is ‘my man’s Irish friend’.

Now that I think about it, I wanna laugh at my stupidity. But at least, i get to discover MCR.
MCR Way Bros
Jazz Hands
MCR Way Bros
January 18th, 2007 at 03:59pm
i havent been a fan that long, i first became a fan when i heard helena but my friend turned me into the huge fan i am today. i bought ghost of you, helena, im not okay and welcome to the black parade after hearing the songs on her ipod. as days went on i began to love mcr and i now i own all of their albums and im saving up for life on the murder scene.
exterminate.
Shotgun Sinner
exterminate.
January 18th, 2007 at 04:21pm
i really love these guys and started liking them when i heard TBP. I now have all there album and love every single song on all of them. i hate it when people i know at school say you only like them because they are big at the moment because i dont.. there music, i don't know makes me feel so good..its just the idiots at school who don't like them really pee me off....
Odalisque
Always Born a Crime
Odalisque
January 18th, 2007 at 05:47pm
About two years ago my friend was really into them.
I was really annoyed, because she wouldn't shutup about them.
So I just had to see what all the fuss was about. I had heard so many good things about them.
My dad already had their cd, so I stole it (haha).
Surprisingly, I found myself very drawn to them after listening to the entire cd.
I wasn't expecting to like them at all. I was just kind of curious about them.
I guess you could call it an accident. All because of my curiosity.
x--GiveEmHellKid--x
Fabulous Killjoy
x--GiveEmHellKid--x
January 18th, 2007 at 05:48pm
Helena