Don't have an account? Create one!

How you discovered mcr! (and is mainstream really that bad!)

AuthorMessage
Inertiatic Esp.
Bleeding on the Floor
Inertiatic Esp.
February 3rd, 2007 at 12:43am
I saw them in Jersey in an underground venue at a free show to promote Bullets... in was late july... I was 11 years old.

AMAZING
Batman.
Jazz Hands
Batman.
February 3rd, 2007 at 01:25am
My friend got me into them, she burned me a life changing CD. =)
I didn't really listen to it, and then when I saw the Helena video I was totaly blown away. It touched me so deeply. And I sound realy mushy right now XD
dread_cry999
Fabulous Killjoy
dread_cry999
February 3rd, 2007 at 01:47am
I saw the Helena video in my living room...and i was like,"Wow! I need a get my hands on more of this!"
we're pretty. odd.
Always Born a Crime
we're pretty. odd.
February 3rd, 2007 at 02:03am
My friend at school kept babbling about a boy called "Mikey Way" and how he was "soooo hot!" and I was like,

"Dude. What does he do?"
"He plays in a kick-ass band."
"No one is better than P!ATD." ((OMFG. I still can't believe I said that.))
"This band is called My Chemical Romance... here, let me show you their new video..."

And that's when I saw Welcome to the Black Parade and discovered MCR.

*bows*
Lady.Loss
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Lady.Loss
February 3rd, 2007 at 12:42pm
i just want to ask you all how you all encounted this band for the first time and 2. your first reaction ? and 3. are you dissapointed they have gone into the mainstream?

1.saw the video for helena when it first came out and was really depressed because i didn't see it again for ages
2.that is what i wanna do IF i grow up and hell. they're awesome and that means so much to me they know how my messed up mind works
3. a lil bit. especially now my most chaverish friend has 3 mcr songs on her ipod
Lady.Loss
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Lady.Loss
February 3rd, 2007 at 12:42pm
1.saw the video for helena when it first came out and was really depressed because i didn't see it again for ages
2.that is what i wanna do IF i grow up and hell. they're awesome and that means so much to me they know how my messed up mind works
3. a lil bit. especially now my most chaverish friend has 3 mcr songs on her ipod
Lady.Loss
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Lady.Loss
February 3rd, 2007 at 12:43pm
sorry boout the double post

stupid computer
Lady.Loss
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Lady.Loss
February 3rd, 2007 at 12:44pm
and a HUGE thanks 2 chris the best friend a girl could have- he got me into them BIGTIME. thanx xx
art star.
Demolition Lover
art star.
February 4th, 2007 at 05:01am
i saw vampires will never hurt you. this was my exact expression:
"O.O!!!!!! wow......!!!!"
disappointed...? a lil bit.
Peaceypoo.
Salute You in Your Grave
Peaceypoo.
February 4th, 2007 at 07:43am
I haven't liked them for very long...The first song I heard with them where WTTBP when it was on TRL on MTV... Then I realised it was the band My best friend always asked me if I had heard... Man where I proud of saying I had heard them! Then I started to listen to them more and more... Now I'm addicted
November
Killjoy
November
February 4th, 2007 at 10:35am
I heard of them when two ppl in my clas wouldn't stop talking about them. I admit that I hated MCR first, but they made me listen to Helena and I just.. Shocked No, I dont care really. Not my problem.
Danger.Zone--
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Danger.Zone--
February 5th, 2007 at 06:44pm
1 helana
2 gerards hot lol
3 i dont no
machiavelli
Shotgun Sinner
machiavelli
February 5th, 2007 at 08:04pm
This sounds really teenie and weird but waaay back in awesome '04, I first saw a clip of "Helena" in a commercial. I was thinking, "Cool, another No Doubt. Except that girl's kinda got a low-ish voice. Maybe she sings like Christina Aguleira or P!nk. So I watched the thing on T.V. ( It was some weird show called "The 10 Spot." ) and I thought, hey, that's a weird girl to be looking like a guy and all that. So I looked up My Chemical Romance on the wonderful Google world, and I got to this place, and it gave me all the names of everyone and I was thinking, "Why is her name Gerard?" Then I figured out Gerard was a guy. Now, three interestingly painfully weird years after my experience with Gerardina, I'm a HUUUGE fan of MCR. Hooray for me thinking Gerard was a girl. But there was an intersession from late '04-'05, when I liked Fall Out Boy. That was an interesting mention that gave me the idea of liking MCR. I pity myself for thinking that one of the awesomest band ever's Lead Singer was a girl.
kel.suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
kel.suicide
February 5th, 2007 at 08:16pm
1. in 2004, i saw the video Helena on MTV one day when i was flipping through the channels.
2. i liked the song as soon as i heard it. and i also thought gerard was a girl. heh.
3. i'm glad that they've gone to mainstream. it's good for them.
Oxycontin Genocide.
Banned
Oxycontin Genocide.
February 22nd, 2007 at 09:26pm
Some guy was like "Hey, have you seen Helena?" and I was like "Isn't that the capital of Montana?"

So I typed Helena in Itunes and it came up with My chem and it was awesome!
braineater.
Bleeding on the Floor
braineater.
February 22nd, 2007 at 09:35pm
My brother came home one day and was like "heya, sissy! Have you heard of My Chemical Romance?" and I said no, and he was like "oh my god they're so badass." and he let me hear To The End and downloaded the Im Not Okay and Helena videos and I was in love. xD
rockonbaby
Thinking Happy Thoughts
rockonbaby
February 22nd, 2007 at 11:32pm
i just want to ask you all how you all encounted this band for the first time and 2. your first reaction ? and 3. are you dissapointed they have gone into the mainstream?

1. first time ever was in 2004 when i saw Helena. man was i creeped out. a year later, i got hooked.
2.first thing that popped into my head when i saw Helena was "guns 'n roses" and i have no idea why.
3. people who are really upset MCR are really famous needs to pull their head out of their asses. after about 6 years of hard-ass work, it's about time, don't ya think? sigh, but it's always been inevitable that they would have annoying teenies and it'd be incredibly hard to meet them.
elixireleven
Killjoy
elixireleven
February 22nd, 2007 at 11:41pm
1) i just want to ask you all how you all encounted this band for the first time

Searching for hardcore, I think. Tell you the truth, I don't really remember. It was something around the release of "Three Cheers," though. (Does that make me new school? Heh.)

2. your first reaction ?

Not good. I think the words I used were "posers" "cheap theatrics" and "why the hell is that guy wearing so much red sh*t with his mascara?"

Then I took a moment to sit down and dissect the "image", and actually listen to the music. Privately, I'm still a little ashamed of those first judgements, and I'm glad I savoured them for a little while. It took "Cemetery Drive" to really solidify my feelings for them - summarized briefly as a few tremulous sniffles followed by subsequent sobbing in front of my keyboard after hearing it through.

Really beautiful, that.

3. are you dissapointed they have gone into the mainstream?

NO. Feel free to argue me constructively on this, but I've been under the impression that part of MCR's mission was to change the way people think about their lives, especially in the cases of those who are suffering for whatever reason, be it self-hatred, or being in a bad situation. Part of the way they've been spreading that message is through their notoriety and their celebrity, and that keeps the music and the message pure. The theatrics are part of it. It's attention-grabbing, it holds your attention, and whatever reaction these guys get (postive or negative) it's memorable.

They leave a lasting impact.

Mainstream? Who gives a shit about labels. It's all about the intent and how they express it creatively; how many people they reach.

I think they're doing a damned fine job.
don't aim to please.
Banned
don't aim to please.
February 23rd, 2007 at 03:45am
The first time I really discovered them was through all the good reviews "The Black Parade" was getting. There's always gonna be a mainstream cuz there's always gonna be something most ppl like.
princeiona
Fabulous Killjoy
princeiona
February 23rd, 2007 at 04:26am
'YKWTDTGLUIP' (catchy acronym!) was on a free kerrang cd in 04. I really loved the track, saved up my pennies and got the album.

First impression was that it was like nothing I had ever heard before (I was more into avril lavingne at this point). It was incredibly catchy and just gave me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. There's just something about the revenge album that I connect with, not the concept or anything, just something about the sound that I can't really explain. Very Happy

I always thought that they'd go mainstream and I think they deserve the sucess. The only downside is people (mainly my mates) saying that they're rubbish and that they're manufactured. They don't know anything about the band, they've only heard WTTBP but because it's on the radio all the time they feel qualified to say that. When I point out that I've been telling them about mcr for the last 3 years when they werent all over the radio/mtv all my mates go suddenly deaf. Grr!