Don't have an account? Create one!

How you discovered mcr! (and is mainstream really that bad!)

AuthorMessage
Harmless Vampire
Bleeding on the Floor
Harmless Vampire
February 23rd, 2007 at 09:52am
1. There's this thingy that if you get a Yahoo account, you can get a custom online radio station. I heard Helena on my radio thing.

2. I was thinking "this kinda rocks......" (i didn't really start being obsessed with them until a few weeks before The Black Parade came out)

3. Mainstream is okay, but i wouldn't know cuz i don't have cable, therefore i don't get MTV. Hehehe..........the teenies suck majorly, though. (my friend's little sister is a teenie.......it's scary)
Paint It Black
Bulletproof Heart
Paint It Black
February 23rd, 2007 at 02:08pm
1. I was surfing round myspace when I hit someone's page that played Welcome to the black parade. I loved the intro, and then the song turn out to be absolutely fantastic.

2. First impresson: I was like OMG what a great intro! Then OMG what a great song! Who is singning? When I saw that it was by MCR I was like "Hmm... My chemical romance... I might have heard that name before..."

3. Don't really care about mainstream. I listen to the music I like, I don't care whether it's called mainstrem or not.
aliss practice.
Shotgun Sinner
aliss practice.
February 23rd, 2007 at 07:44pm
Aww...Sugar Cookies:
This sounds really teenie and weird but waaay back in awesome '04, I first saw a clip of "Helena" in a commercial. I was thinking, "Cool, another No Doubt. Except that girl's kinda got a low-ish voice. Maybe she sings like Christina Aguleira or P!nk. So I watched the thing on T.V. ( It was some weird show called "The 10 Spot." ) and I thought, hey, that's a weird girl to be looking like a guy and all that. So I looked up My Chemical Romance on the wonderful Google world, and I got to this place, and it gave me all the names of everyone and I was thinking, "Why is her name Gerard?" Then I figured out Gerard was a guy. Now, three interestingly painfully weird years after my experience with Gerardina, I'm a HUUUGE fan of MCR. Hooray for me thinking Gerard was a girl. But there was an intersession from late '04-'05, when I liked Fall Out Boy. That was an interesting mention that gave me the idea of liking MCR. I pity myself for thinking that one of the awesomest band ever's Lead Singer was a girl.

Punk
snagicous
Jazz Hands
snagicous
February 24th, 2007 at 12:22am
1. First heard of MCR in the summer of '04 on MTV at my cousin's house--I saw the Helena and I'm Not Okay vidoes. I thought they were pretty cool and forgot about them =.= Then I heard Welcome to the Black Parade from internet talk, then fell in love with My Chem.
2. I thought they were really individual; had different characteristics than bands of that time. And I was right.
3. They deserve all the fame and attention they get; they can touch more lives that way. All the teenies, fake fans, and posers; or whoever "likes" the music who isn't true will go away...right? I'm pretty much a new fan, but not any of the three; there are pros and cons.
konton.
Always Born a Crime
konton.
February 24th, 2007 at 12:29am
I just found out about them through helena.
and what does "mainstream" mean?
Lights
Salute You in Your Grave
Lights
February 24th, 2007 at 02:09am
I "discovered" mcr... hm.. it must have been July of 2005.
I was watching videos on yahoo, and it went to the next video. I had never heard the song before and at first I thought it was a trailer to a movie. It was the video for "I'm Not Okay" and I fell in love. I replayed it a few times before I had to leave for something.
But it was pretty amazing that I even found them because I was some little middle schooler who wasn't very into unknown music. I haven't stopped listening to them since!
x_pansy
Motor Baby
x_pansy
February 24th, 2007 at 05:16am
1. Lets see, umm I think I kind of got into them through the internet. When I started getting into the music scene I talked to a lot of people about their fav bands and a lot of them suggested mcr. Then I heard I'm Not Okay on the radio (the ONLY time I have ever heard one of their pre Black Parade songs in the media in Australia)

2. I was all like 'hey this is that band that everyone talked says I should listen to' and I liked it so I bought Helena and Im Not Okay on iTunes and fell in love with them and proceeded to buy the whole album!! (This was early last year) It didnt take long for them to become my favourite band!

3. I don't suppose I mind the mainstream thing. I actually get a kick when I hear them on the radio or see them on tv because to be honest in Australia we dont hear about the bands I like much. Then again I dont like the fact that so many people like MCR coz they are popular now, instead of the fact that the songs and the band actually mean something. I guess it just kind of upsets me when I see WTTBP on someones fav song list along with Smack That and Fergalicious! lol but I am really happy for them because they made it big and they are so successful!
feather
Killjoy
feather
February 24th, 2007 at 10:06am
I heard Helena and wanted to find out more about this band.
like swift.
Motor Baby
like swift.
February 24th, 2007 at 10:10am

1. I was in 5th grade watching TRL, and they premired "I'm Not Okay[[I Promise]]"

2. When I'm Not Okay and Helena came out on vidi, me and muh friends were so obsessed w/them. But I didn't really like Ghost Of You video, so I stopped being obsessed. Then my life turned crappy and they were my comfort object.

3. um, the only reason I know MCR is b/c of mainstream. I mean, mainstream is kinda my guilty pleasure.

TheMysteriousThug
Joining The Black Parade
TheMysteriousThug
February 24th, 2007 at 11:12am
I discovered them the very day I'm Not Okay(The video) premiered. And I thought...woah..these guys kickass. And woah. And thought HEY! That guy's hair is awesome(Referring to Gerard here). Then Helena came around. I'll be honest it took me awhile til' I heard the whole album. But damnit I love MCR.
HaleyRevanssi
Thinking Happy Thoughts
HaleyRevanssi
February 24th, 2007 at 11:39am
So like, when Helena (the music video) came out, I was sort of being sucked in my the stupid preps at my school. I watched the first 5 seconods of it and said eww. Then, like a year ago, my friend let me listen to them, and I fell in love.

Please dont be mad at me for saying eww!

Im sorry...

Dumbass preps, they run ur mind...

Since MCR came into my life, they have helped with so much, including breaking away from the stuck up, selfish, preppy life I was about to get myself into.

Thank you MCR!
tennant.
Full of Ephedrine
tennant.
February 24th, 2007 at 12:15pm
Well, I first heard the second I'm not Okay video on Kerrang TV when my brother showed it me.
I thoght it was alright and I'd keep a look out for them (I was obsessing over Green Day at the time) but I didn't catch the videos for Helena and The Ghost Of You
I'm not dissapointed that they've gone into the mainstream, who can blame a band for wanting success?
IXPROMISE
Jazz Hands
IXPROMISE
February 24th, 2007 at 12:25pm
mainstream is good but it frustrates me
mcr used to be a cool secret that fans only knew about
and i liked that
Aunt Marie
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Aunt Marie
March 2nd, 2007 at 03:22am
1. well, WTTBP was always being sung by my classmate until it was stuck in my mind, then when i was watching MTV and WTTBP was the next song so i tried to listen, coz' im really curious why he always sung it, then i was like "okay, uhh...this guys are fine."
2.i was really impressed to them when i had watched helena. my reaction was "hey this guys are the one who sung WTTBP and OMG they're SOOOO COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLL!!!!!"
3. no comment
Sweet Innocent
Killjoy
Sweet Innocent
March 2nd, 2007 at 03:52am
1. I knew mcr from my friend. It's about two years ago.
2.I thought who's this crazy dudes. Then, after a few months, I had falling in love with them.
3. you know what? I don't care
meh.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
meh.
March 2nd, 2007 at 04:10am
i saw WTTBP video clip play on rage (aussie music show) and loved it! but i had never heard of them before.
i actually thought they were called "the black parade" and the song was named "carry on" or along-the-lines-of and i went around to all my friends asking them if they knew or heard of "the black parade" i even went into JB Hi-Fi (bestest shop in the world!) and no one knew what i was talking about...

its kinda ironic cause "the black parade" is their alter-ego name...
so i was right all along? Laughing

i fell in love with their music and went and brought Revenge and im waiting for Bullets to be ordered in for meVery Happy

and i dont think mainstream is all that bad...
mirarle
Thinking Happy Thoughts
mirarle
March 2nd, 2007 at 04:11am
1. Heard Ghost of You on the radio--and thought their name was pretty interesting/strange (the reason why it stayed in my mind). Thought it was a bit rediculous too.

2. I liked the sound of The Ghost of You, downloaded that and Helena. I discovered, after playing them again and again while painting, how much I liked the song. It grew on me.
It was the Helena video that catalyzed my love/interest. Such a beautiful video, with dark, depressing imagery, a hot lead, and such heart wrenching emotional intensity and energy. Tracy + the umbrellas = jaw dropping goodness. Put my faith back in rock music videos. XD I'm a sucker for theatrics.

3. Meh, I'll like what I like, and won't like what I don't like, no matter how mainstream or underground it is. I tend to ignore the media anyways, so when the MCR explosion happened, I was completely unaware until it became really obvious.
Macabre.
Killjoy
Macabre.
March 2nd, 2007 at 07:40am
I saw "Helena" on TV,I liked it and I wanted more
mosherxhippie
Joining The Black Parade
mosherxhippie
March 2nd, 2007 at 12:43pm
discovered MCR when i entered the worl of high school and made new friends who are obssessed of MCR then i listened to bullets then revenge and.... the rest is history
folkin' around.
Salute You in Your Grave
folkin' around.
March 2nd, 2007 at 12:45pm
Commercial.
No lie. I thought to myself 'If I'm gonna like Green Day I guess I'll have to like them." That was three years ago.
Now I like MCR more than GD.