Don't have an account? Create one!

The end of the world.

AuthorMessage
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
December 2nd, 2008 at 05:26pm
How many end of the world predictions have been andgone? loads. Personally I dont think this one is any different. Mass hysteria can be a very powerful thing.
BlackRoseDying
Fabulous Killjoy
BlackRoseDying
December 9th, 2008 at 09:07am
i dont beleive that the world is going to end.

its just a bunch of bull that ppl make up to have something to talk about....
i mean seriously, they have already made many predictions that havent came true yet, and none of it will anytime soon..

if it does, then you can rub it in my face and say i told u so... XD
Hara-Kiri
Killjoy
Hara-Kiri
December 9th, 2008 at 02:18pm
according to the Mayan calender the world is supposed to end on December 2012, I dont necessarily believe that to be true, but the Mayans were pretty accurate on a lot of what they predicted. Every era that this world has been in, the Precambrian, the Paleozoic Era, the Mesozoic Era, and the Cenozoic Era, has ended in a mass extinction. The era that we are living in now is the Cenozoic era, and we are living in a mass extinction. It isn't of our species, but of trees, and other plants, to a lot of animals. People dont see it as a big deal, but what we are living in is technically considered a mass extinction, they world wont end, but we will, and a new era will begin, just like it has happened three times before.
Hara-Kiri
Killjoy
Hara-Kiri
December 9th, 2008 at 02:24pm
see what i see.:
HintFEAR08:
That is why we better have a way to get off of this planet within the next 5 million years! Smile
We don't have a way out. We have ideas but we can't actually make it happen yet.

Oh and if and when the sun expands, Mars is gone too. It's not just going to reach towards Earth, it's going out in all directions. There's no way humans will be able to live on Mars and call themselves 'safe'. Once it expands, everything in the vicinity is done.

I'm pretty sure in a time period of 5 million years, we would have come up with something, if we last that long, which i HIGHLY doubt.
The Lunacy Phringe
Bleeding on the Floor
The Lunacy Phringe
January 1st, 2009 at 02:34pm
The sun expanding will be our most definite cause of extinction. Other ways include asteroids hitting earth and "death star rays". I'm referring to them as "death star rays" because I'm unsure of their proper title. They're rays which are currently coming from all ends of the universe and if they strike earth, the side they hit will be destroyed, and the other side will undergo a period of mass mutation.
We probably have a method of stopping asteroids.

Also, my personal favourite method of extinction, the Dark Rip. IT WILL HAPPEN, but not for billions of years. The universe will stop expanding and destroy itself. All of the molecules in the universe will slowly evaporate. In other words, you will see your hand disappearing in front of you. And when i say it will happen slowly, i mean it will take about 4 hours for earth to be destroyed.

And then there's the possible threat of black holes. And if your imaginative, an alien invasion.

The possibilities are endless. Many of which are certinaley going to happen.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
January 2nd, 2009 at 07:46am

^^
Do you mean the Big Rip?

I personally think that the end of the world will come from the earth expanding. I would like to point out that I have done no research in the matter, and have just gone on what I've heard. We always have a chance of a freak accident occurring, such as Sanguine pointed out like meteors.
Alexface.
Salute You in Your Grave
Alexface.
January 3rd, 2009 at 11:19am
Hara-Kiri:
see what i see.:
We don't have a way out. We have ideas but we can't actually make it happen yet.

Oh and if and when the sun expands, Mars is gone too. It's not just going to reach towards Earth, it's going out in all directions. There's no way humans will be able to live on Mars and call themselves 'safe'. Once it expands, everything in the vicinity is done.

I'm pretty sure in a time period of 5 million years, we would have come up with something, if we last that long, which i HIGHLY doubt.

I agree with that. And while I agree that Mars is going to go too, at least it's a way of increasing the length of the time humans have in the world. If it ever becomes possible that we'll be able to live on Mars, and if it works, we'll have successfully lengthened our time in the world, even if that will eventually go too.
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
January 3rd, 2009 at 07:28pm
Alexface.:
Hara-Ki:

I agree with that. And while I agree that Mars is going to go too, at least it's a way of increasing the length of the time humans have in the world. If it ever becomes possible that we'll be able to live on Mars, and if it works, we'll have successfully lengthened our time in the world, even if that will eventually go too.
So you're telling me by in that time, we're going to have something that can withstand 11000°F. I'm pretty doubtful on that. Oh and once the Earth is engulfed, there's no way you can live on Mars. It'd still be far too hot. If we do get to Mars, you're not going to have another million - billion years. It's over.
fault lines.
Awake and Unafraid
fault lines.
January 4th, 2009 at 11:02pm
why does everyone worry about the world ending in millions of years? its a safe bet that no one here will be alive. I think one day, millions of years away, the world will end, but there would have to be some pretty significant signs before that happens, like the world getting a hell of alot hotter and water drying up. By the time that happens, im sure humanity will be able to deal with it and just let everything happen. I can understand where everyones coming from, but i don't think its anything huge to worry about right now. theres heaps of other more important issues to address now, like people starving to death, or homeless people, or domestic violence, or the war. Thats my opinion on the matter.
Invisible angel
Killjoy
Invisible angel
January 6th, 2009 at 07:22pm
I really think the world has to end sometime but in away no one really knows how its going to end. theres so many ways for it to like ...atomic Bombs ,the sun could explode or global warming either way i'm still waiting!!!
Invisible angel
Killjoy
Invisible angel
January 6th, 2009 at 07:23pm
I really think the world has to end sometime but in away no one really knows how its going to end. theres so many ways for it to like ...atomic Bombs ,the sun could explode or global warming either way i'm still waiting!!!
Invisible angel
Killjoy
Invisible angel
January 6th, 2009 at 07:23pm
Your Ghost.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Your Ghost.
January 7th, 2009 at 01:52pm
Princess Anhura, I agree with you completely. There is definately more things to worry about and whatever happens in the future, happens.
SindySellick
Killjoy
SindySellick
January 10th, 2009 at 04:49pm
the world is going to end eventually.
especially with all this ozone stuff.
its probably not going to be destroyed by comets/meteors.
its probably going to be destroyed by us who live here.

so ignore all the warnings that the world is going to explode randomly, cuz its not.
they have been saying that for years.
radio ga ga.
Demolition Lover
radio ga ga.
January 10th, 2009 at 07:58pm
well a lot of people aren't saying millions of years, anymore.
this show keeps coming on the History channel that i can't remember the guys
name, but it was like thousands of years ago, he'd write poems and pieces of
writing about ~the future~ and in most of them they say he's predicted almost
everything that's happend from presidents being assasinated, to princess
dianas death, to natural disasters like katrina, and just everything.
and they say in it that supposedly he predicted the world ending in 2012.
idk, though i'd contribute it through to this thread because it scares the crap out of me to think about it.
idk. my bff jill?
Demolition Lover
idk. my bff jill?
January 10th, 2009 at 08:06pm
I don't think the world's just gonna end in 2012,just boom it's gone. Like Princess Anhura said,stuff is gonna start happening before it ends,and I believe it would start more than 3 years before it ends.
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
January 11th, 2009 at 10:27am
life on the moon.:
well a lot of people aren't saying millions of years, anymore.
this show keeps coming on the History channel that i can't remember the guys
name, but it was like thousands of years ago, he'd write poems and pieces of
writing about ~the future~ and in most of them they say he's predicted almost
everything that's happend from presidents being assasinated, to princess
dianas death, to natural disasters like katrina, and just everything.
and they say in it that supposedly he predicted the world ending in 2012.
idk, though i'd contribute it through to this thread because it scares the crap out of me to think about it.
Nostradamus?

Haha, yeah, the History Channel is having like, Armageddon week or something. That's pretty much all their shows have been of.
radio ga ga.
Demolition Lover
radio ga ga.
January 12th, 2009 at 12:35am
see what i see.:
Nostradamus?

Haha, yeah, the History Channel is having like, Armageddon week or something. That's pretty much all their shows have been of.
haha, yeah, that's it.
i know, it was on almost every night and it scares the crap out of me.
and all their other shows they've had on, too.

but yeah. i'm definitely not ready for the world to end, so i'm hoping it's not going to in 2012. D:
and if it doesn't than i definitely agree with that we've got more things to worry about before the end does happen.
Harlequinn
Salute You in Your Grave
Harlequinn
January 12th, 2009 at 12:40am
I dont believe in those 'prophosies' or whatever that you always hear about, especially the ones that relate to a certain number of years after Jesus was born, since the people who calculated what year we're in, according to Jesus' birth got it wrong. However i think the human race isnt going to last all that much longer.

I think we'll all die because of a horrible virus or disease, think of how many people you come in contact with a day, and how many people they come in contact with, and how many of those people get on planes to other places and come in contact with people there.... If a horrible virus came along that spread fairly easily and killed suddenly and without many symptoms I don't think humans would stand a chance. It'd spread like wildfire.

We aren't in the time where an entire civilization can become diseased, die out, and leave the rest of the world to it. Everyone in the world is more in contact with everyone else now.
Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
January 12th, 2009 at 03:30pm
I honestly believe that the whole "Terminator" plot is not far from the truth. the compacity to hold information in computers is getting so big, and I've heard about computers that are being developed that can store info in liquid nitrogen molecules; or in liquified light. (SOmething like that) If they can hold an infinte amount of info like that, maybe they could become self aware! This sounds crazy, but I'm serious.