Don't have an account? Create one!

The end of the world.

AuthorMessage
gazelles.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
gazelles.
October 8th, 2008 at 10:10am
To be honest, I think all the doomsday predictions are completely untrue. People have been trying to predict the end of the world for hundreds of years, and not once has the world ended when they said it would. Maybe the Mayans are right and the world will end December 21st, 2012 -- but I doubt it. There's no garuntee that we'll all even live that long, because I wouldn't be at all surprised if a nuclear war had started (and ended in the death of humanity) by then. Maybe we'll all get sucked into a black hole that scientists have created (which I highly doubt will happen), but if we do, I'm not particularly fussed. I mean, we'd all die in, what, a nanosecond? You wouldn't even know anything had happened, and it's not like you'd be leaving anyone behind, since we'd all be dying at once. There are much worse ways to go. And somehow, I don't see God destorying the world, as it seems like we're very much on our way of doing it ourselves.

No, I think we'll blow the world up ourselves (probably with nuclear warheads), and that will be how the world / humanity ends. In the meantime, I don't see much point worrying about it; like the poster above me said: just live. The world will end when it ends. Worrying about something beyond your control is just unnecessairly stressful.
infinity guitars.
Awake and Unafraid
infinity guitars.
October 8th, 2008 at 05:29pm
i know i'm going to get shot down for this, but i'll say it anyway:

the book of revalation (the last book of the bible) predicts that there will be "signs" sent by god in the end times. im not completely sure what the signs are, i think its things like extreme changes in weather such as global warming, an increase in hurricaines and earthquakes and an increase in flooding. also, i think world war 1 & 2 were predicted but it states that there will be 3 (i think) wars that will involve countries from multiple continents. there's a lot of freaky shit in there, i personally dont believe its all completely literal but i do believe its mostly truth.
to get right the the point, according to revalation, after all the end time prophecies have been fulfilled, jesus will come back to earth and take every christian back to heaven. after that there will be 7 years where the earth will be until the control of the devil, then jesus will come back again and rescue any more people who have given their lives to him. i think the world just like..ends after that. /:

im not 100% sure that all that is true, im a bit sketchy when it comes to the bible, but its something along the lines of that.
HintFEAR08
Killjoy
HintFEAR08
October 16th, 2008 at 04:21pm
Baby Jesus is:
I agree, but we will die a horrible death eventually...

The sun is expanding, in 5 million years it would have expanded so much that the Earth has turned into Venus basicly (temperatures and all liquid evaporaed sorta thing) and Mars will be an ideal temperature (as the sun expands the little ring of nice temp that were in moves out... when we fry Mars will be just right Very Happy)

That is why we better have a way to get off of this planet within the next 5 million years! Smile
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
October 23rd, 2008 at 03:44pm
HintFEAR08:
That is why we better have a way to get off of this planet within the next 5 million years! Smile
We don't have a way out. We have ideas but we can't actually make it happen yet.

Oh and if and when the sun expands, Mars is gone too. It's not just going to reach towards Earth, it's going out in all directions. There's no way humans will be able to live on Mars and call themselves 'safe'. Once it expands, everything in the vicinity is done.
Gerard.
Banned
Gerard.
October 24th, 2008 at 11:58am
i dont like the sound of that i think the world is gonna end from a possible world war 3
Jenny.
Jenny.
October 24th, 2008 at 03:52pm
GEEGASM!!:
i dont like the sound of that i think the world is gonna end from a possible world war 3
Please make sure that your posts contribute to the discussion. Mr. Green
mrs.johnnychrist.
Really Not Okay
mrs.johnnychrist.
October 25th, 2008 at 05:13pm
I don't think the world is going to end when
everyone says it is.
The world will end when Jesus wants it to.
And He's not going to come back,
expectedly.
The Creature
In The Murder Scene
The Creature
November 30th, 2008 at 08:59am
I'm scared of death, and 2012.
I just woke up from a nightmare about it.
People just keep saying in 2012 we'll all die. A friend of mine said that it was predicted by the Mayans that 2012 is the end, and that everything they predicted came true.
I'm scared about this. Any talk about the end or death scares me. It's gotten to the point that when someone says we're gonna die in 2012, I start shaking and crying. I mean, it's great that Jesus is coming for all good people, but...
I'm scared.
Everyone say it's true. I don't see how everyone who says it's true can walk around without a care, acting like life is perfect, like they could care less for the end of the world.
And now people even have a date for what's expected to heppen in 2012. People say it's offical cause it's on NaSSA...
And now I'm shaking, dammit.
make some noise;
Jazz Hands
make some noise;
November 30th, 2008 at 11:16pm

I personally believe that the world will end whenever the world ends and that we should all just live our lives ["And if our final day has come, let's pretend to carry on, and if the end has now begun, live on" - Final Day, Tokio Hotel, and "Live every second, here and now, don't let go" - Live Every Second, Tokio Hotel.] Whether you beleive that the Mayans are right and the world's going to end in 2012, or you believe that the Bible is right and has predicted all the signs of the 'End Times' [The Antichrist, a mass falling away from the church, etc..] Or you believe the scientists are going to create a black hole or you think we're going to blow the world up in a nuclear war or if you believe a little green Martian is going to come down with a massive ray gun and make the earth explode, just live in the present. Will it make it better, or more pleasant, knowing when and how we're going to die? Ill people are often given an estimate for when they'll die, but it doesn't change the fact that they will die. We'll all die, it's unavoidable. I know that one day, for whatever reason, the world will end. Whether it's in five seconds, years, or millenia, I don't know and don't care because we have life now, and that's all that counts.
[/semi-Dr.Phil moment... o.O]
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
November 30th, 2008 at 11:54pm
My husband and I were just talking about the Mayan 'prediction' about the world ending in 2012. We both think it's b.s.
Seriously, the Mayans lived like, thousands of years ago. They were just making up a calendar and I don't think there's anything significant in the fact that they quit writing it at 2012. Maybe they were like, 'Phew, that's far enough now. Let's just leave it at that, yeah?'. They could have stopped at any date, and *that* date would be heralded as the supposed end of the world. There have been plenty of dates throughout history that supposedly were meant to be the end of it all - my grandfather told me a long time ago about how when he was a teenager, the newspapers started going crazy about some supposed revelation that the world was going to end in two years' time (obviously, this was sometime in the 30's or early 40's). And guess what - it never happened!
Me, I'm pretty sure that the Mayans just wrote their calendar up to a point where they knew they, their kids, their grandkids, so on and so forth, would all be dead, and figured that somebody in a later generation would pick up where they left off and continue writing it.

As far as the end of the world being caused by global warming, pfffffttttt to that. I think the entire concept of global warming is just a huge exercise in scaremongering and an excuse to put MORE taxes on everything, including the air we breathe (because obviously, we inhale oxygen and exhale CO2, which is one of the 'bad guys'). The earth has survived periods of extreme warmth and then extreme cold (umm, Ice Ages anybody? Seriously? I'm sure you read all about the dinosaurs as kids) for hundreds of millions of years, so why would the Earth suddenly up and 'die'? This 'global warming' and polar cap melting crap is true, yes, but it has very little to do with human inhabitation, and LOTS to do with the Earth's natural cycles of warm, then cool, then warm, then cool.

Some people argue that examples of extreme weather conditions like Katrina and the Boxing Day tsunami are 'signs' that the world is ending. I think that's pretty much crap as well - extreme weather conditions have ALWAYS existed - we have always had hurricanes, cyclones, droughts, monsoons, tsunamis, volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, etc etc etc. The difference between now and, say, 200 years ago, is that the world is much, MUCH more populated, there are people living right in the lines of fire now (that's why there is such devastating loss of life), and our technology has enabled us to see and hear things that happen on the other side of the world, whereas 200 years ago, we would have had no idea that an entire village (or civilisation, if we're talking on a mass scale) has been wiped off the face of the planet like a booger in God's nose. That's the only reason things seem worse today - the disasters are still as frequent and as severe as always, but people are affected more because they're living there and people who don't are actually hearing about it.
Marilyn Monroe
Awake and Unafraid
Marilyn Monroe
December 1st, 2008 at 03:45am
^^^ I totally agree with you, The end of the world is not near, and the media is scaremongering everyone into thinking it is. They show more people saying that global warming is going to happen on TV etc because bad news is interesting news and gets more money.
K.K.
Bleeding on the Floor
K.K.
December 1st, 2008 at 07:53am
So, the sun'll die in 5 Billion years
But we'll not be there anyway! Long before that the human race'll be extinct 'cause the sun will have dried up all our water , and I bet everyone knows that nothing can live without water or sunlight.
And if anyone got a brainwave about how we could replace water with Milk...(someone actually said that when we discussed it in class)
K.K.
Bleeding on the Floor
K.K.
December 1st, 2008 at 08:00am
i hope the end of days will be very very very [100x very] far away.. n that we'll have time to become good people..
Fading Sanity
Bleeding on the Floor
Fading Sanity
December 1st, 2008 at 03:58pm
Hmm... contrary to what everyone is saying, I'm starting to consider that the world is going to end, and soon. (hmm... that doesn't sound as professional as its supposed to sound XD)

Anyway... the Mayans predicted the end will be Dec. 12 2012, right?
Well... The U.S. is planning to pull out of Iraq in 2011. And in my history class, my teacher said that pulling out of Iraq may cause WW-III, because Iraq might not have a stable enough government, which may cause the surrounding countries to try to take it, which in turn will cause the U.S. to fight back, which will just turn into WW-III.

So, if the U.S. pulls out of Iraq in, say, mid 2011, WW-III starts, and there's all those countries with nuclear bombs and dangerous weapons, the world is probably going to blow itself up by about 2012.

Though that may not be the end of the world, just the end of humans and life.

Plausible? Feel free to talk me out of it, I don't want to die at age 18
(Please note this does not reflect my views on religion or politics)
Jenny.
Jenny.
December 1st, 2008 at 04:12pm
x.tears.never.fall.x:
i'm scared...
someone hug me..
Don't spam.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
December 1st, 2008 at 06:02pm
Fading Sanity:

...Plausible? Feel free to talk me out of it, I don't want to die at age 18

A fair point, but I don't think anything that drastic would happen.

This is well off-topic, but I feel like saying it: Western countries need to just start MINDING THEIR OWN GODDAMN BUSINESS and leave everyody else's country alone. So what if some country on the other side of the world is in the midst of a civil war and the government is corrupt and people are dying? NOT MY PROBLEM. Really, I feel for the civilians, but why in hell should we be sending our fathers, brothers, sisters, mothers, daughters and sons over there to die - and for what? It's not our problem if some other government is screwing their own people, or if some religious extremists are trying to overthrow the government.
So, basically, if Dubya had have kept his honky Texan nose out of the rest of the world's business, this war would have nothing to do with us, our citizens would be safe (because don't think for a minute that the people being attacked are taking this lying down - because our troops are over there interfering, we're now targets), there would be no possibility of a WWIII because the war would only involve a couple of countries, not all these huge western powers that treat every other country like a four-year-old who needs to be 'guided and disciplined'.
make some noise;
Jazz Hands
make some noise;
December 1st, 2008 at 08:04pm
Cigarettes and Suicide:

I agree with you 100% on this point. I also agree with those who have said the Mayan prediction of 2012 is B.S. We don't even know that this is a PREDICTION; merely that they ended the calender then. The Mayans probably didn't think the world would even last that long, or, they thought that someone else could pick up at 2012. Why do we put so much in store by what they said? If someone else had made the calender we use today, they would of had to end it eventually, or they'd spend their whole life wasting away scribbling a calender out. Time doesn't end. The world might end eventually, but, as I stated before, we don't need to worry about when the world willl end.
K.K.
Bleeding on the Floor
K.K.
December 2nd, 2008 at 09:43am
Cigarettes And Suicide:
Fading Sanity:

...Plausible? Feel free to talk me out of it, I don't want to die at age 18

A fair point, but I don't think anything that drastic would happen.

This is well off-topic, but I feel like saying it: Western countries need to just start MINDING THEIR OWN GODDAMN BUSINESS and leave everyody else's country alone. So what if some country on the other side of the world is in the midst of a civil war and the government is corrupt and people are dying? NOT MY PROBLEM. Really, I feel for the civilians, but why in hell should we be sending our fathers, brothers, sisters, mothers, daughters and sons over there to die - and for what? It's not our problem if some other government is screwing their own people, or if some religious extremists are trying to overthrow the government.
So, basically, if Dubya had have kept his honky Texan nose out of the rest of the world's business, this war would have nothing to do with us, our citizens would be safe (because don't think for a minute that the people being attacked are taking this lying down - because our troops are over there interfering, we're now targets), there would be no possibility of a WWIII because the war would only involve a couple of countries, not all these huge western powers that treat every other country like a four-year-old who needs to be 'guided and disciplined'.

I totally agree with you
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
December 2nd, 2008 at 03:47pm
tear:
i hope the end of days will be very very very [100x very] far away.. n that we'll have time to become good people..
We have an edit button.

Please only post if you have something meaningful to add to the discussion.
Sex and Candy
Salute You in Your Grave
Sex and Candy
December 2nd, 2008 at 03:52pm
Maybe not true.... I think not