Don't have an account? Create one!

Kill All Your Friends

AuthorMessage
elizabeth freemason
Killjoy
elizabeth freemason
September 3rd, 2007 at 04:33am
This is probably the billionth time this view has been posted, but it's the first for me, so be patient.
I think this song is really based around Gerard and his high school life. It's about his "friends," which he's said constantly he had very few of. I think he focuses on how nobody liked him in high school but now he's famous (and gorgeous) and everybody who hated him in high school suddenly loves him. It's about how he dressed in drag and wore make up before it was "cool" and now it is, and they love him for it.(I was killing before killing was cool, you're so cool, so cool) i don't think, if it is centered around him, Gerard wants you to kill all your friends. or his friends. something like that. i don't think Gerard would kill his friends, especially because most of them are in the band with him.
this song makes me think of some picture on photo bucket of Gerard in high school. it said (and if you've seen his high school pics, you would understand) " laugh now boys, but in a few years your girlfriend will want to f*ck me."
and i really think that picture just explains the whole song.
TheMysteriousThug
Joining The Black Parade
TheMysteriousThug
September 3rd, 2007 at 08:12pm
For all I know it could be the patient watching his own funeral and making remarks.
InsaneInsomniac
Killjoy
InsaneInsomniac
September 6th, 2007 at 04:43pm
There is a test that criminologists do to determine if someone is schizo.
A woman goes to a funeral and there she meets a nice guy. they click. but he has to leave before they can exchange details.

If you were this woman, what would you do?

Schizo's answer - They kill someone from the funeral to see if they man attends that funeral.

I think something like this would interest G and it makes sense.

He could also be making a social comment about how we are so into having a wake after a funeral,.
Im.Just.Me-.-
Fabulous Killjoy
Im.Just.Me-.-
September 10th, 2007 at 07:33am
i think its about the irony that long lost releatives that you hardly ever see in your life or have contact with only ever come at a funeral or something or when they feel sorry for you and bother to talk to you and say that they are sorry. somthing also about that you cant escape your past and sometimes you just have to face up to it.
i guess the "liars" bit suggests that sometimes words get unspoken and sometimes they are never said because some people dont acutally say what they really feel. and they lie about it till the day they die.
proberly "kill all your friends" becuse that seems to be the only way to get people talking again, because i guess some people may never talk to you unless they feel sorry for you or somthing..
hrmmm that's what i think....or somewhere on the lines of that.
XheartwithoutahomeX
Killjoy
XheartwithoutahomeX
September 12th, 2007 at 04:12pm
i think this song is great..mybe it is about his past...but yeah loads of meanings in them..
XheartwithoutahomeX
Killjoy
XheartwithoutahomeX
September 12th, 2007 at 04:15pm
Say Goodbye!:
I think the song is about the people who were mean to him in high school, and during the funeral of their friend they all get together.

"Cause we all wanna party when the funeral ends
And we all get together when we bury our friends"

So I guess that if there is a message it is "When you lose a friend you make new ones"
this song is great..i think its about his past and probably his idea of how he could get together with his old friends..that is at a friends funeral
medarkid; mrs. bryar
Killjoy
medarkid; mrs. bryar
September 14th, 2007 at 09:28am
i think it's about friendship..
i mean, he hasn't seen his friends 4 ages
and maybe the best way to meet them is when one of their friends dies.
then they will have the chance to meet.
if nobody dies~ kill one of 'em.
then y0u'll meet y0ur long lost friends...
that's what i think..hahaha =p
bobkat
Fabulous Killjoy
bobkat
September 17th, 2007 at 03:14pm
I think the song is about when you only really recognise your friendships with people when they die .
loads of people at funerals say , "i wish i could have spent more time with them before they passed " - well if they can make the time for their funeral why couldnt they make the time to see them when they were alive.
So gerards almost saying " Am i gunna have to kill all my friends to see them at funerals ? "
Its almost like people need an excuse to come together ?.
The excitement is echoed in his words as well because hes like , all my friends are here now lets party , oh but we cant because its a funeral .

Im hoping this made sence to readers , because i am actually half asleep ! lol ! x
DeToxic8_MCRmy
Killjoy
DeToxic8_MCRmy
September 19th, 2007 at 06:35am
"Killing Your Friends" is a metaphore for selling out, the INXS parody is to say that they might have sold out, but MCR will never turn away from the True Fans, or forget their background, where they come from. "We are all a bunch of Liars" could refer to Artists in general, who are in the business of telling appealing lies after all, "We are all a bunch of Animals" means all Rock Musicians, even though Gerard paid attention in school, I really think this song is more about those Other bands, not so much MCR, and I don't think this is even remotly about The Black Parade, it's a single for a reason, it Mocks the Recording Industry in general + Gives the "Concerned Parents" of the World something to really bitch about!
TaraIsBack!
Bleeding on the Floor
TaraIsBack!
October 2nd, 2007 at 08:19pm
I always thought it was about the death of someone from his past. He talks about how people want to party after the funeral ends. Well, sometimes people who haven't seen eachother in a while just want to have some fun again. The person who died may have had different "phases" of friends and neither one of them know the whole story about something. When he says that the past ain't thru with you, it's because all these people are being brought together again and are gonna talk about the deceased.
Mellisshh yeahhh?
Joining The Black Parade
Mellisshh yeahhh?
October 3rd, 2007 at 12:26pm
im not really sure what this song would be about!

All i know is its the best song!!!

Grrrrrrrrrr im a fish
Radio Saturday
Salute You in Your Grave
Radio Saturday
October 3rd, 2007 at 04:02pm
This song has a very noir-ish feel to me. Basically, same story as everyone else says -- someone kills people to see their old high school friends again, because their life sucks now. But I always imagine it kind of like the Helena video -- retro, lots of black, but still very 1940s-looking. And I picture the person doing the killing as a woman, and the guy singing finds out at the end that she's got him slated as her next victim. Laughing I love this stuff.
GWIAmNotAfraid
Killjoy
GWIAmNotAfraid
October 4th, 2007 at 04:23am
Maybe by saying "Kill all you friends" it means he feels like he is forgetting, or he hurt his friends or people close to him. and "You can sleep in a coffin, but the past ain't through with you" means he lies to himself saying there is nothing wrong but really he can't get over it. He can't forget about the people/person in his past or something like that. Also it could be that he feels like someone is forgetting or hurt him him

Wee
My Chemical Music
Killjoy
My Chemical Music
October 4th, 2007 at 06:47am
I'm not so sure what it's about
bubble_burst
Thinking Happy Thoughts
bubble_burst
October 6th, 2007 at 06:51pm
to me the song is about culture...
there seem to be a lot more people now, being "emo" or some other kind of group, just because they think its cool... they're following the crowd... so they'll say "oh yeah i tried to kill myself last night" or just do it... because they think their friends might respect them more or think they're cooler...

so we start off by showing this in the lines:

"we are all a bunch of liars, tell me, baby, who do you wanna be?"
"i was killing before killing was cool"

the whole point of the song is kinda saying "dying doesn't man anything to some people anymore... its just another way for people to meet up... like any other day in your life..."
the funeral's could lose all meaning and purpose cos people'd maybe just start saying "oh yeah... some one else has died.. you going to the funeral? ok, see you there" kinda thing... some people might not even see it as a funeral, just another way to meet up...

and we get lines from the character with lines like
"and if this is a coronation i ain't feeling the love"

to me this line also not only symbolises how the tragedy and feelings have been lost... but it also kinda symbolises the person's longing for attention... like it should all be focused on them, they're the cool one...

then at the end we get gerard (or at least someone who doesn't have their heard set in doing something for the wrong reasons...
its his kinda view on the situation... he doesn't agree with how things are now becoming

so we get to
"You’ll never take me alive, you’ll never take me alive
Do what it takes to survive 'cause I’m still here"

this is repeated... emphasising the point... just to make sure people can hear...
the message of this part of the song to me is like saying "death's become a joke to some people... i'm not going to give in to peer pressure, i'm not going to be like this just to please other people, i'm not going to give in this easily"
we shouldn't just be saying "oh, so-and-so's died, yeh its tragic, i'm gonna kill myself its so painful" (and not really meaning it...)

(like from the lines:
"And you’re walking away,
And I will die in this place"

we should be saying "i'm gonna do what it takes to get through this, you're not gonna get me that easily, i won't give in"

sorry i'm not very good at explaining what i mean...
and i'm not saying this is the way it is... its just what i get from the song... not a line-to-line analysis... just the general overview
Sincerely Oblivious
Banned
Sincerely Oblivious
October 8th, 2007 at 11:26pm
I think he's switching between people.

At first hes sorta like remembering bullying a person or driving them insane,
(And you can sleep in a coffin,
But the past ain’t through with you
'Cause we are all a bunch of liars...)
And (I was killing before killing was cool) part.

But at the same time he wants to stop. (Let it be, Let it be, Let it be)

Then he feels bad and apologizes,[sp?] but the person doesnt forgive him. (And you’re walking away,
And I will die in this place)

Then he feels he's also being bullied.
(And if this is a coronation,
I ain’t feeling the love)

In here he might be talking to himself [in the person he bullied's point of view] or being himself to his bullies
(You’ll never take me alive, you’ll never take me alive
Do what it takes to survive 'cause I’m still here)

Hes also talking about how time's not changing his feelings on it.
(Its been 8 bitter years since I’ve been seeing your face
Its been 9 bitter years since I’ve been seeing your face
It's been 10 fucking years since...)
--- --- --- --- --- ---
Its an idea...
Kalle Fire
Killjoy
Kalle Fire
October 14th, 2007 at 01:48am
My interpretation is kinda a mix of lots of people's including the high school thing. I read it like an argument. Like a group of people who were friends in high school but drifted apart and changed. Then when one of them dies they all meet up again and feel sorry for themselves rather then thinking about their dead friend: "So tell me all about your problems".

Then the narrator has a go at them all saying how they've all let society warp them - someone running from the past - someone sacrificing themself to fit in - etc and saying how they're selfish as they all want to get drunk or "party" and go back to normal life to stop themselves feeling guilty. Then (n) says how he will never become as cold as them "you'll never take me alive" and he'll stay and mourn for the friend when the others have buggered off.

Or something like that...
Blood Stained Eyes
Killjoy
Blood Stained Eyes
October 16th, 2007 at 02:23pm
I think Kill All You're Friends is about Gerard's past.Probably from when he was in high school.He used to be bullied a lot so it might be about revenge on someone or something like that
CyanideRomantic
Killjoy
CyanideRomantic
October 16th, 2007 at 06:13pm
Im gonna feel like such a dum bum for asking this...but what CD is this on!!!???!?!???!?
Radio Saturday
Salute You in Your Grave
Radio Saturday
October 16th, 2007 at 08:58pm
It's a B-side for the "Famous Last Words" single release.

Re: "I was killing before killing was cool."

To me, this line seems to be in the same vein as most of "Thanks for the Venom," especially lines like, "I wouldn't front the scene if you paid me/I'm just the way that the doctor made me." It seems kind of like he's saying, "I was born this way; I'm not faking it just to be in your scene."

But I still like my noir-novel interpretation of the song. Cool