Don't have an account? Create one!

On-line relationships

AuthorMessage
echo lawrence.
Jazz Hands
echo lawrence.
March 26th, 2007 at 01:09pm
I think that if you really like someone online and you feel that you can trust them then go for it; but honestly in my experience a real-life relationship is easier on both of the people in it.
Kayla!
Joining The Black Parade
Kayla!
March 26th, 2007 at 05:38pm
druscilla; callmedru:
Kayla!:
Three words : IT DOESN'T WORK.

I've tried them, and every single time, something happens and it's over. It's hard to tell whether or not someone is cheating on you if they live in a completely different state.

To me, they're a waste of time. But I've seen people have no problems with them.

Five words: IT DIDN'T WORK FOR YOU.
My relationship works just fine and is the best thing to every happen to me, plzthnx.

Mmkay, well that's good for you.
I was one of the unlucky ones I suppose.
schmetallica.
Shotgun Sinner
schmetallica.
March 26th, 2007 at 08:50pm
I don't really see the point of online relationships. If you have never really met the person in the real world, they could be pretending to be someone their not. I mean, they could be some 70 year old perv posing as a 20 year old hot shot. You would never know. And if they show you a picture, it could be someone else. It's so easy for them to just go on google and type in something on images and take any picture and say it's them. I would never consider online dating. But that's just my opinion. =]
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
March 26th, 2007 at 09:40pm
electrokiss.:
I don't really see the point of online relationships. If you have never really met the person in the real world, they could be pretending to be someone their not. I mean, they could be some 70 year old perv posing as a 20 year old hot shot. You would never know. And if they show you a picture, it could be someone else. It's so easy for them to just go on google and type in something on images and take any picture and say it's them. I would never consider online dating. But that's just my opinion. =]

The point of online relationships is the same point as offline relationships.
The only difference is where they occur.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
March 26th, 2007 at 10:51pm

I don't think it is the same, not at all.
Online relationships aren't the same, at all.
You don't have the same level of closeness as you would if you were actually physically with the person,
& the way you communicate is through a computer. Seriously, that's all you can be certain of. You don't know for sure who is behind the computer screen at the other end.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
March 26th, 2007 at 10:53pm
Asha Molly:

I don't think it is the same, not at all.
Online relationships aren't the same, at all.
You don't have the same level of closeness as you would if you were actually physically with the person,
& the way you communicate is through a computer. Seriously, that's all you can be certain of. You don't know for sure who is behind the computer screen at the other end.

I think sometimes you become closer if you have to work at your relationship.
And you can exchange phone numbers and eventually meet face-to-face.
If Andie and I hadn't met online I doubt we would have ended up together.
And I am closer to her than I have ever been with any of my exes [all face-to-face].
billy99
Motor Baby
billy99
March 27th, 2007 at 06:00am
druscilla; callmedru:
I think sometimes you become closer if you have to work at your relationship.
And you can exchange phone numbers and eventually meet face-to-face.
If Andie and I hadn't met online I doubt we would have ended up together.
And I am closer to her than I have ever been with any of my exes [all face-to-face].

Yes that makes sense. If you exert a little more effort, it'd probably make you closer. And the only difference between online and offline relationships is that you met in different ways.
schmetallica.
Shotgun Sinner
schmetallica.
March 27th, 2007 at 07:00am
Druscilla; callmedru, I thought this was a thread to talk about relationships online, not just meeting the person online then metting them in person. I guess it's alright if you actually meet the person. But I would still do a background check on them and all that stuff. Also, I don't think online relationships are the same as real world relationships. But if you do get to become good 'cyber space friends', and you were sure you could trust the person. Then I would want to meet them. Just so it would be a real relationship insted of exchanging statements back and forth.
lana del rey.
Demolition Lover
lana del rey.
March 27th, 2007 at 07:21am
What about online friendships?

I've found some of my best friends online, but sometimes, they seem to come to a certain point, where they kinda die.

Only a few have really been able to last past that point.

cocaine.
Shotgun Sinner
cocaine.
March 27th, 2007 at 09:04am
To be honest, if you want to have an online relationship, it's going to be hard. And it's gonna take it's toll.
And it's gonna be one of those times where you care, but have no idea if it's gonna work out.

I don't care if you met your fiance, or your boyfriend/girlfriend online, look at the facts. If you weren't in an online relationship, what would you think of them?
What did you think of them before you were in one?

I have met two of my best friends online, through this very forum. I've met them, and we talk pretty much every day.

I think online, you can see the person as who they really are, not what they look like. That's a big advantage to see that, because in a realtionship like I have with these two girls, we tell each other pretty much everything and we bear our souls. You trust that person more and more, but you't better believe me when I say that not all people are who they are and who they say they are.
dASHa Xr
Fabulous Killjoy
dASHa Xr
March 27th, 2007 at 09:04am
i think on line friends it is ok
i have one
he is my best friend, i like him more then real friends
we have similar thoughts about many thing
the most intresting is we are living in the same city
i dont want have meeting whith him? cuz i think i will not like how he looks like
i dont know what to do
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
March 27th, 2007 at 11:22am
electrokiss.:
Druscilla; callmedru, I thought this was a thread to talk about relationships online, not just meeting the person online then metting them in person. I guess it's alright if you actually meet the person. But I would still do a background check on them and all that stuff. Also, I don't think online relationships are the same as real world relationships. But if you do get to become good 'cyber space friends', and you were sure you could trust the person. Then I would want to meet them. Just so it would be a real relationship insted of exchanging statements back and forth.

When 99% of your relationship is online or on the phone it's an online relationship.
Muted Scream
Fabulous Killjoy
Muted Scream
March 27th, 2007 at 12:18pm
I think it's easy to start an online relationship, that is why so many are going on. it's a lil tough to maintain one, but it can be done, so props to those who can. It just seems difficult to actually "Love" that person if you have never met face-to-face outside of the net. Just don't get cocky (no pun intended) and think that you are deeply in love all of sudden, give it some time. Hell, like i mentioned earlier, i actually married a chic i met online, and we knew each other for a long period of time online and face-to-face. But she lied to me about her having kids(I had just gotten back from Iraq and wasn't looking for kids) and became a domineering gold digger. Just be careful guys and gals.
echo lawrence.
Jazz Hands
echo lawrence.
March 27th, 2007 at 01:02pm
I had a really successful online relationship once, but because it was online I felt that he wouldn't 'catch me' if I cheated on him. I think I cheated [after 7 perfect months] because I couldn't actually have physical contact with him online. He did catch me. We broke up.
Basically, I think that if you have willpower and will not cheat go for it.
Optimistic Pessimist
Motor Baby
Optimistic Pessimist
March 27th, 2007 at 01:31pm
I think it all depends on how you handle it. I mean, first of all you have to be smart, when you first meet a person online you can't just give them all this information about yourself and where you live and all.

I mean, At least wait until you've gotten to know this person and are 110% sure that they're not some 40 year old pedo-man or something. In my opinion, I think you should wait until you've started having contact with them on the phone to tell them the area you live and all.

But I have met someone online who I care about a lot and is just too amesing (which is like amazing but better) for words and I care about him a lot, so just like druscilla I'm obviously biased.

But if you find someone, it shouldn't matter how or where you met them at. Face-to-face, or online, the point is fate brought you two together and you're happy.
schmetallica.
Shotgun Sinner
schmetallica.
March 27th, 2007 at 07:34pm
dASHa Xr:
i think on line friends it is ok
i have one
he is my best friend, i like him more then real friends
we have similar thoughts about many thing
the most intresting is we are living in the same city
i dont want have meeting whith him? cuz i think i will not like how he looks like
i dont know what to do

If the reason you don't want to meet him is because you are afraid of the way he looks, I'm sorry but that's a pretty bad reason. If I were in your position, the reason I wouldn't want to meet him would be, 1- He may have lied to me the whole time. 2- He might not be who I think (like maybe they told you they were 15, they could be a 40 year old rapist)
Why Am I Dead?
Killjoy
Why Am I Dead?
March 27th, 2007 at 09:34pm
Ferris wheel ablaze.:
I think that if you really like someone online and you feel that you can trust them then go for it; but honestly in my experience a real-life relationship is easier on both of the people in it.

I agree. Go for it if you really like them. Just I think it would be easier in a real-life relationship.
Kaede
Bleeding on the Floor
Kaede
March 28th, 2007 at 01:13am
druscilla; callmedru:
Kaede:
If anyone watched the Japanese movie called Kairo (Its also a horror movie), you would know how shallow relationships are now and how people are getting more lonely because of so much technology in the world. In my opinion, online relationships are somehow...pointless. It won't last long. Mainly because I have a friend who frequently dates guy after guy on the net and it never lasts. Maybe "True" love is hard to find these days because of technology and possibly other factors that sets people apart...

Oh, yes. I'm going to base my romantic life on some Japanese movie I've never seen.
[insert eye roll here]
Technology is how I keep in touch with like-minded people.
My online relationships [including the platonic] are anything but meaningless. I have people that help me through my darkest times and I do the same for them.
Maybe "True" love is hard for you to find because it hasn't found you let.
Love is impossible to control. It could come from the internet, the mail, McDonald's, or the mall.

Maybe my opinion sounded too harsh to those who do date online... Yeah, but this is just what I think. People can do whatever these days so I guess almost anything can be found anywhere.
Optimistic Pessimist
Motor Baby
Optimistic Pessimist
March 28th, 2007 at 01:13pm
I think it's okay as long as you know what you're doing. I mean, I think it's okay for someone in New Jersey to go out with someone in Texas.
But probably because I'm someone in New Jersey going out with someone in Tennesee. So of course I'm going to be okay with online relationships.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
March 28th, 2007 at 09:44pm

The thing is though, how can you be certain a person is who they say they are?
That's what all of this comes down to.
An online relationship is basically like being in love with a computer.

In all honesty, I just don't see the point in it.